What video card runs the game the best?

MasterTwentyt

Hey for anyone that can help me out. I got a new cpu that i thought would run this game great. Well I was wrong. I have an i5 3.1, 8gb ddr3, and radeon 6450 hd 1gb video card. Im trying to play using an 23 inch led monitor and with lowest possible settings I have been getting single digit fps. Makes it impossible to play. I was wondering if it was just my video card i read some reviews and they were terrible. If it is what video card should i get for my computer. Im limited by a 300w power supply but i will upgrade that if i have too. Anyhelp anyone can give me will be awesome. Thanks

Hmm.. my work machine has 2 GTX260's (Not SLI'd for 4 monitors)

core i7 2.6ghz 12 gig ddr and I get crappy frame rates when my wallpaper rotates. Runs like butter all the other time.

Do you get this constantly or just in certain places?

Ouch, I'd be afraid to run a pc with 300watt PSU.

Hey for anyone that can help me out. I got a new cpu that i thought would run this game great. Well I was wrong. I have an i5 3.1, 8gb ddr3, and radeon 6450 hd 1gb video card. Im trying to play using an 23 inch led monitor and with lowest possible settings I have been getting single digit fps. Makes it impossible to play. I was wondering if it was just my video card i read some reviews and they were terrible. If it is what video card should i get for my computer. Im limited by a 300w power supply but i will upgrade that if i have too. Anyhelp anyone can give me will be awesome. Thanks

pick up a new psu and either a 6950 or a gtx560ti

I have the 5770 which is kinda low power but i dont think it would work on 300w

Yes it's recommended 450w or greater.

You're going to be extremely limited with a 300w PS, probably just budget cards like the 6450 and integrated cards

Here's the TH review on cards for SWTOR if you're willing to upgrade your PSU too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087.html

Edited by Dasffion

The 6950 model isn't getting many complaints, a couple of HD 6950 users were chatting about it here earlier: Is this computer good value for money?

There's also a good benchmark test of lots of graphics cards over at Tom's Hardware site (Google for Tom's Hardware Benchmark SWTOR), the Radeon 6970 seemed to perform very well, as did most of the GTX series.

Well the 6450 is a low-end VGA looking at your cpu and ram, well it definitely holds it back. My advice is: get a new psu and atleast a HD 6870. The memory bandwith plus texel and pixel rate of the 6450 is just ridiculously low. I assume if you managed to buy that rig this card shouldnt be too expensive for you or just ask santa ;)

I'm running 2 NVIDIA GeForce 295's in quad SLI. (I force alternate frame rendering in the game.) I customized this system to be able to FRAPS AoC sieges, which put more strain on a PC than any gaming feature I've ever seen.

In SW:ToR, I can play in 2560x1600 resolution better than in any game I have tried that in before. I get 30+ FPS at that resolution no matter what the clutter of nearby players/NPC's is like. Also with Bioware's "High" graphics preset settings.

It really is beautiful. Props to Bioware on the game's graphics engine :)

Now lets get some kind of massive PVP feature in the game and really take advantage of it.

Edited by GoldSquadGirl

I have 2x 2,4 Ghz, 4GB RAM and a 260 Nvidia PCIe, powersupply is 600W I think

The game runs very smooth on max ingame setttings, gonna check out the ini files for some hidden settings to improve grafics even more. (kinda low if you played breathtaking Skyrim before)

Do not underestimate the importance of a good power supply. Make sure that it silent, that it sucks in enough juice and that it blows out the air, instead of sucking in all the dust from the back of your PC.

Something is off...

For comparison here's my normal person rig, that doesn't have uber just came out in the last 6months to a year stuff.

E8400 Dual Core 2.9Ghz(4 years old)

GTX460 2gb RAM Vid Card(Budget updgrade)

4GB RAM

Window XP(That's right, still freakin xp!)

And I run this game consistanly at 40fps, in all zones and in pvp. I can get 60-70fps in non crowded areas.

I'd try a new PSU like people have suggested, maybe its not getting enough. Though you;d think a lower power message would appear when you boot up...

Edited by Varcan

Something is off...

For comparison here's my normal person rig, that doesn't have uber just came out in the last 6months to a year stuff.

E8400 Dual Core 2.9Ghz(4 years old)

GTX460 2gb RAM Vid Card

4GB RAM

Window XP(That's right, still freakin xp!)

And I run this game consistanly at 40fps, in all zones and in pvp. I can get 60-70fps in non crowded areas.

I'd try a new PSU like people have suggested, maybe its not getting enough. Though you;d think a lower power message would appear when you boot up...

It's not his PSU, it's his GPU, well his PSU will keep him from getting a better GPU but the 6450 is a budget card that is crap for gaming.

It's not his PSU, it's his GPU, well his PSU will keep him from getting a better GPU but the 6450 is a budget card that is crap for gaming.

Did I misread? I thought his post said he had a i5 GPU...

Headed back to check.

Edit: Its does say i5, which is close to as good as the general market gets. It can't be his GPU unless its faulty...

Edited by Varcan

Did a weekend beta test and it played wonderfully on my pc, yet my pc shows that it does not meet the minimum requirements. I have an Intel Pent E2220 2.4, 8gigs ddr2 and a 9800 gt 512. Ran like a dream on my pc even with firefox open for several hours.

My old pc, (yes this is my newer one) I had a 300W power supply, it was barely able to run my P4 4 gigs with a 9500 video card. When it eventually went out because it wore itself down it took my graphics card with it. I am kinda surprised 300W is powering your system.

If it is what video card should i get for my computer. Im limited by a 300w power supply but i will upgrade that if i have too. Anyhelp anyone can give me will be awesome. Thanks

You really need to upgrade the PSU. The GPU is indeed the focus on your problems, but the PSU keeps you from doing anything about it.

You could try a 6670 or 6770 but...it'd be a crapshoot.

I wouldn't go as far as some of the other people have recommended, you don't need to spend 300 dollars on a graphics card, or even over 200, but with a good PSU, you could be fine with any choice at a 6670 or above.

I wouldn't go as far as some of the other people have recommended, you don't need to spend 300 dollars on a graphics card, or even over 200, but with a good PSU, you could be fine with any choice at a 6670 or above.

Yeah I can run on Medium to high with a 5770 and that's like $100 now. You'd need at least a 400w PSU for that though.

Your CPU & RAM are more than good enough for SWTOR even on maximum settings and I believe, as you suspect, that the problem lies with your Graphics Card, depending on your budget something like a GTX560 will play SWTOR relativley smoothly even on high resolutions that your 23 inch LED is capable of (around 1920x1080)however this will require a minimum of a 450w power suply unit and I recommend getting something like a 600 watt or 650 watt to future proof yourself a little-bit if you wanted to upgrade Graphics again in the future as all the newer cards are demanding more and more power.

Played the beta on both a gtx 260 and a gtx 550ti both with terrible performance, and this was with AA off. Currently i have a gtx 560 ti but i'm just going to assume that it can run this game flawlessly seeing as how i'm still waiting for my acces like so many others.

*EDIT*

i had to upgrade my power supply from 475w to 700w to have sufficient power to run the 560ti and my other system hardware safely.

Edited by PalpyPalpy