Revan's Chestplate; any word on a fix?

Terin

Wow. Thanks for the answer but I seriously can't imagine how can any player be fond of Revan's armor having two hoods :)

I guess some people could like the bugged look, but it's almost certainly the minority who would their gear to clip.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

I wanted to give an update on the Revan “double hood” issue. After some investigation we realized that this was a display bug with the armor, as some have pointed out it isn’t intended to have the double hood. However, after discussing it, our current plan is to not fix the armor. Now I am sure you are asking why we would decide to not fix a bug and here is why.

One thing we have to remain very sensitive of when changing armor is that once we have implemented it in the live game, players grow attached to it. Although there may be some who are frustrated by the appearance not being 100% canonical, we have to be very sensitive to players who do actually enjoy the current appearance of the armor in the game. An example of this would be when we made changes to a few armor sets, such as the Spymaster’s set, due to display bugs. After making those changes players were understandably upset that we had now changed the appearance of an armor set which they had paid for, we want to make sure to not replicate this issue again.

I know there will be some of you who are unhappy about our choice to not adjust the double hoods but fear not, we are not making this decision lightly. In fact, we are going to continue to monitor this as we move forward. If we see a substantial number of players in favor of changing the double hoods, then we will do so but please understand that if we make this change in the future we will not be releasing a “classic” version of the Revan’s armor (as it exists now).

-eric

Garbage....

You guys have done so well with the other iconical characters in making their sets as close as possible in and all of their cases, so close that we barely hear a peep about anything with them.

Then the ONE, most iconical character to the series, you really do butcher and beat it to the ground.

Does the look have it's one flare? Sure it does. But with 2.1 I can completely mimic that set with another easily obtainable set in the game. Can I fix a design bug to it? Nope, that's on the devs.

You are trying to aviod the "mistake" you made last time with having to introduce classic sets, because "understandably" people got use to the look of the bugged versions with some even buying them for their bugged look, and here you are just flipping the side in which you are going to make angry.

What about those that bought them to have them, assuming in good faith that you would fix the bug that was NEVER intended?

This by far seems more like a, "We honestly already made our money off of Revan's robes and don't feel like spending the money or man power to fix it like we did before." Why does it sound like this? Because the logic in the decision you posted just doesn't make sense. Last time the bug made some people mad so we fixed. Then it made others mad who liked the bug version so we had to put it back for them too. So rather then making everyone happy this time, we're just going to leave 50% mad and say sorry....

The fact that you couldn't even put a cape on Revan's Robes was disappointing enough. The hood bug was added spit to the eye. Now this is a HUGE let down in my personal opinion.

Edited by Shikyo

Hey everyone,

I wanted to give an update on the Revan “double hood” issue. After some investigation we realized that this was a display bug with the armor, as some have pointed out it isn’t intended to have the double hood. However, after discussing it, our current plan is to not fix the armor. Now I am sure you are asking why we would decide to not fix a bug and here is why.

One thing we have to remain very sensitive of when changing armor is that once we have implemented it in the live game, players grow attached to it. Although there may be some who are frustrated by the appearance not being 100% canonical, we have to be very sensitive to players who do actually enjoy the current appearance of the armor in the game. An example of this would be when we made changes to a few armor sets, such as the Spymaster’s set, due to display bugs. After making those changes players were understandably upset that we had now changed the appearance of an armor set which they had paid for, we want to make sure to not replicate this issue again.

I know there will be some of you who are unhappy about our choice to not adjust the double hoods but fear not, we are not making this decision lightly. In fact, we are going to continue to monitor this as we move forward. If we see a substantial number of players in favor of changing the double hoods, then we will do so but please understand that if we make this change in the future we will not be releasing a “classic” version of the Revan’s armor (as it exists now).

-eric

Now everything makes sense to me. You guys are so utterly disconnected and uncaring about your game that you would rather have a half a**ed game full of easily fixed bugs, then something of quality. This explains why you created an achievement system, but "forgot" to fix the codex entries which are bugged so now people cannot get the some achievements AT ALL. You guys actually make a decision NOT to fix something in you game. That shows everyone right there what the problems is. If I worked at a company who made such a decision, I would be embarrassed to work there.

People want QUALITY, not quantity. That's something these corporations just don't seem to grasp anymore.

Yes, adding more cartel crap is much more important THAN FIXING YOUR GAME!!!

I seriously can't believe this kind of statement. Flat out refuse to fix something in your game. "face palm"

Hey everyone,

-eric

So, the most iconic character in the kotor lore doesnt get to have proper gear in game, so no Revan gear fix now or ever,seems right.

Just release it as a new, proper non doubled hooded gear set, not in a pack on the GTN. Maybe release 2 with and with out a cape.

This is just ********!

This is a horrible precedent to set. Grant it the spymaster debacle was a mess, but this is going to be just as bad if not worse. So basically you're setting a precedent that once somethings in game you won't fix it, even if it's bugged? This sounds like an excuse to save dev costs / be lazy. The ultimate fix for the spymasters set (cloning the set and having two versions) seems like a much more logical solution.

I wear my Revan chest piece with a, uhh....vinesilk face mask I think it is called. So on my character it works perfect because it doesn't put the hood over my head so it is laying across my back. Looks fine. I would like a hood toggle, though. I would be okay with being able to put the hood up and down on my mask but not if they "fixed it" and I had the hood over my mask and laying over my back at the same time. Yea, two hoods is no good. I agree with ppl getting a little upset over decisions like this. It seems that the priority is adding new stuff to the cartel market on a regular basis and fixing bugs and listening to the community for what we want implemented is pretty low on the list at EA/Bioware. This is probably making them tons of money but if they don't change they way they are doing this it is going to kill the game.

Now everything makes sense to me. You guys are so utterly disconnected and uncaring about your game that you would rather have a half a**ed game full of easily fixed bugs, then something of quality.

People want QUALITY, not quantity. That's something these corporations just don't seem to grasp anymore.

I seriously can't believe this kind of statement. Flat out refuse to fix something in your game. "face palm"

Well, what he actually said was "If we see a substantial number of players in favor of changing the double hoods, then we will do so". The problem here is that the vocal minority always appears larger than it is on the internet. I could name a few people who have posted dozens and dozens of times about this....but each of them is only 1 person. Someone needs to start up a "poll" thread asking how many people wanted this changed. He said basically they are going to go with what the majority of players want...not just the 10-15 loudest players. If I was asked for my vote, I'd vote for them to fix it too...although it won't ruin my day if they don't. So one of you guys that is all upset about this needs to start up a poll thread and see how much support you can get from the rest of the community to have this changed. They've already said they'll change it if that's what the players want...so show them that's what the players want.

This by far seems more like a, "We honestly already made our money off of Revan's robes and don't feel like spending the money or man power to fix it like we did before."

I don't know much money they made off the Revan robes. They weren't directly sold on the Cartel Market. The GTN is constantly flooded with them and they are pretty cheap to get off the GTN. They were a pretty common item in the packs....it's not like someone needed to buy 20 packs to get one.

To be honest: I think we'll see ORIGINAL Revan's set in the last shipment of the contraband packs. That's why they can't really be bothered.

If that's truly the case then I can understand their decision, however if they are NOT planning on adding any kind of original Revan's set then I am really disappointed with this decision. Out of all the characters who got very good recreations of their sets, THE MAIN AND MOST ICONIC ONE gets the middle finger, because some guys WHO DON'T GIVE A C**P ABOUT THAT CHARACTER might object. And it's coming from a company which considers story very important...

Hey everyone,

-eric

Interesting decision, as it is clear that most people who take time to come onto the forums to give you guys at BW/EA the feedback to make the game better were not happy with this denial of change. I find it weird, personally, that someone would grow attached to a bugged outfit with two hoods, but I guess that's some people's preference. Although, I would honestly like to question if you even researched whether or not people like said look, as I don't believe the major populace has given you even the slightest grounds to make an assumption of the sort. If you're going to deny a bug fix because of popularity with the bug, it might be better if you at least give people the way you figured out a greater population favors the bug or even make the actual claim that you've found a majority in favor the bug, as I can't see where you possibly pulled that explanation from.

To throw in my two cents, I also don't like the double hood bug and would also support the addition of a cape to the main outfit, considering that's what he wore in Kotor and that I think it would enhance the look.

Hey everyone,

-eric

Pretty fail Eric. Inform your superiors the community expected better from you and your team. Maybe you should stop wasting resources in the cartel market and put a little man power on other things.

If you're going to deny a bug fix because of popularity with the bug, it might be better if you at least give people the way you figured out a greater population favors the bug or even make the actual claim that you've found a majority in favor the bug, as I can't see where you possibly pulled that explanation from.

The wording on this really stood out to me. Back to my previous point of setting a precedent. Exploits are technically bugs, does that mean that popular exploits should be kept just because they are popular? For example during the double XP weekends people were exploiting a power level bug on Ilum with bolster, by this logic that should have not been fixed because it was so popular on the forums I guess... This is the kind of logic your precedent will set.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

Hey everyone,

-eric

Revan is the entire reason this game exists, and you're not going to put any real effort into making his armor look it's supposed to, but you'll give classic versions for phantom gear and the like? I am so sick of these types of answers. Are you kidding me? 50% of the reason I played this game as because I would finally find out what happened to Revan. Then you just sorta wrote him out. Then, once Revan's armor was released, I was at least satisfied that something about Revan in this game was cool, even if it didn't look right. But to find the bug, and then say you're not going to fix the bug for the armor set of the character who is the entire reason this game exists - you just made me decide. ESO I am waiting for you patiently. I have no intention of playing a game based on kotor when the devs refuse to do anything to pay any real homage to Kotor. Understand, I play because I am a big fan of Star Wars and of Kotor, not because I'm a fan of SWTOR. I enjoy this game quite a bit, but the devs for ESO are putting a great deal of effort to keep things accurate to their previously stated canon. If you can't fix a simple armor set, then I'm out. I may be a bigger Star Wars fan than an Elder Scrolls fan, but it's just an insult to Star Wars when devs have no respect for the characters that make people like Star Wars. The devs for ESO are more interested in making some obscure little detail accurate about some random ruin somewhere than you are about fixing the armor for Kotor's primary character. I can already see that in what's been put out for ESO, and by how their devs treat Elder Scrolls. If you can bother to start fixing the things that made people care for the old republic, then I'm sold. If not, then goodbye. Even if ESO bombs, I can find something else.

I can understand if it did not appear canonically, but still had no clipping issues.

However, the issue with the hoods is a clipping issue. Its a bug.

The Robe of Volatile Force and other similar models, could basically be dyed to black, fixing the issue. However, those models are only available to light armor users. Perhaps make one of them adaptive?

At the very least some form of compromise has to be taken. Many people have shared their opinions, and unless Bioware actually tallied it, I am sure more people are on favor than concretely against. I would assume most don't even care.

I personally believe there are solutions that would tend to both camps. This solution is not one of them and given the amount of voice about this issue on the forum, I believe Bioware's decision on this subject has not been optimal.

Hey everyone,

-eric

I really dont think you can compare this situation to what happened with the Spymaster's and other sets. With those sets, you essentially left off a lot of the extra fluff that was supposed to be there. Anyone who reads these forums regularly will know that a lot people really want to see more simplistic looking armors, therefore there were a lot of people who enjoyed those sets as they originally were.

With this, you have a set that makes no sense. It doesnt look any more simple or any more advanced. It just makes it look off and incorrect. I highly doubt there are many people who actually like the idea of having a robe with two hoods.

I'm curious: is there a single forum member who claims to actually prefer the look of the bugged item? If so, it would lend some support to this decision. But I'm somewhat dubious that such a person actually exists. Personally, I don't have strong feelings about the issue, but it seems absurd to leave it the way it is if BW can easily implement a fix.

Yes, I saw the post from the guy who said "leave it be" - but his reasoning was essentially that "nobody cares" (which clearly is not entirely accurate, given the ten pages of posts here). Not that he prefers the current model.

Just a few things to contemplate:

1) The bug likely originated in them making all new armors compatible with the hood toggle, which is why there are two hoods. Someone just forgot to hid one of them (likely the hood down). They may not consider it worth fixing because hood toggle is getting close to being ready, but can't come out and say that yet.

2) By wearing a headpiece that causes the hood to disappear you can effectively get a hood-down version of the armor. If they remove it then this is not possible until an actual toggle is in place. This may upset a certain amount of players who like this.

3) The down hood isn't too noticeable unless you're looking at it.

4) They were burned last time they went to go back and fix a bug and want to avoid it this time. Plus putting out classic pieces I'm sure caused a certain amount of headaches.

5) They are looking for player feedback so that if/when players complain about them going ahead with changing it they can go back and say "look right here, you all said you wanted it, where were you then?"

Personally I'm still holding out hope on 1), but I don't really have a stance one way or another on the two hoods for now. I'd really like if they would fix the coloring on the chestpiece and pants though. It was a lot darker when they first released it.