Best Spec for Sniper

gettomahawked

Marksmanship looks like totally true sniper. Can switch targets very easily and bring down stuff very quickly, but for bosses it doesn't deal much damage. Can quickly blast players in PvP, although Engineering has better mezzes. Good for pure sniper theme.

Virulency is good for kinda mad scientist/biologist theme (think dr. Lorric - Lost Island boss). This specialization never runs out of energy when you fluff adds with suppressive fire, after setting up both DoTs (corrosive dart->corrosive grenade) on all of them. Also this spec has extended Ballistic Shield duration & assailable debuff, so good for supporting teammates.

Engineering is definitely worth to play for, EMP blast looks SO shiny and awesomely, it also deals biggest DPS to bosses. And so many probes, gadgets & other doochikeys. Good for scientist/technician/droid controller theme, also has pretty solid fluff, tho not endless, like Virulence has. In PvP however, a mez with 18s cooldown (EMP) is kinda OP.

For PvE, both Engineering, and Virulence are good. Virulence is better for fights when the boss is moving more, Enginerring is better for fights where boss isn't being move all over.

For PvP Marksman is the way to go. The other specs will put out more damage, but Burst is king in PvP, so Marksman is superior for burst.

For PvE, both Engineering, and Virulence are good. Virulence is better for fights when the boss is moving more, Enginerring is better for fights where boss isn't being move all over.

For PvP Marksman is the way to go. The other specs will put out more damage, but Burst is king in PvP, so Marksman is superior for burst.

Im not a fully 248 gs, but from what ive seem sabotage has been doin a lot more dmg than mm, but now u say that mm is best for pvp? It is my favorite spec but i seem to not be doin something right.

Marksman is the best in pvp because it excels at single target kills. An engi player or even Viru play can build up more damage with AoE and cleaves, but it's due to fluffing which healing can mostly recover from. Marksman just has the advantage to still hit ambushes in the 30k range on players which is a lot more deadly to both a healer having to heal that, or a player trying to score a solo kill on you. Aside from damage, Marksman gets additional time to entrench and a small entrench after roll which helps a lot in pvp.

Personal rankings in pvp, Marksman > Engineering > Virulence

Bursting single targets is best especially healer tunneling. Engi pressure on melee while nerfed awhile back is still deadly, and Viru hits weak against players besides internal damage melting tanks from time to time.

Personal rankings in pve, Virulence > Marksman > Engineering

Viru shines in pve content to high sustain, versatile AoE and sub 30% for burn checks. I rank marksman 2nd due to some more checks only marksman or few select Viru players can kill and armor debuff in a team comp matters a lot more than some think. Engi last cause while fun with constant AoE Viru can still easily match it in AoE.

• 6 months later...

As Engineering, pair up with good off-tank / dwt and you'll beg for shorter CD on Threat Drop :)

In the end, it comes to personal preference. I chose Engineering because it has burst, AoE and DoT. It is an unique spec in whole game and, while rotation is simple, execution is hard. The only downside is target switching, takes a lot of practice to know when to switch and keep solid dps. I usually do after the EMP.