[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scene: Wealthy business man excitedly reading magazine, he is in the market for a new car and has the money to spend. He just upgraded his garage to house his new purchase. Suddenly! his eye falls upon what he wants and he eagerly calls the dealership.

Customer: Hi, I saw this bugatti veyron in a magazine and I was told I could buy it here.

Salesman: Sure have a look at this, would you like a test drive?

Customer: Oh sure wow, just look at this car this is going to be awesome!

Narrator: Exciting test drive occurs.

Customer: Wow that was *********** amazing, I want to buy this now I can't wait im going to tell everyone about it.

Salesman: We will send the car in a very nice looking box to you, is that agreeable?

Customer: Sure sounds great, can't wait.

Narrator: Half a year later, customer receives box and opens it.

Customer: What the hell, why did I recieve a Toyota! This must be a mistake, let me talk to the salesman to sort this mess out.

Narrator: Angry phone call ensues

Customer: Hey whats going on here mr salesman, I am very upset with what I got.

Salesman: During the testdrive we deemed that you couldn't handle the car thus we changed it.

Customer: What do you mean it handled fine, I loved it and thats why I bought it.

Salesman: We never intended for you to have access to the car in the first place to enjoy in the way you did.

Customer: Wait what?

Salesman: We were only ever selling the toyota.

Customer: But wait.. the magazine, the test drive!.... what I payed for!

Salesman: We understand how you feel, in about 6 months we will come up with a solution to make your toyota a better car.

Customer: This is not acceptable I....

Narrator: Salesman hangs up, tune in next week for more tales of interrest.

Fade out, end scene.

I've got a much simpiler one:

You watch Star Wars on Blu-Ray at your brothers house, great movie, and most of all it looks outstanding!

You order Star Wars Blu Ray from Amazon, a few days later recieve Star Wars on VHS.

You call Amazon and they tell you it doesn't matter because it's the same exact movie and that your VHS player uses less power than your Blu-Ray player so they thought this was best for you.

Edited by United_Strafes

You watch Star Wars on Blu-Ray at your brothers house, great movie, and most of all it looks outstanding!

You order Star Wars Blu Ray from Amazon, a few days later recieve Star Wars on VHS.

You call Amazon and they tell you it doesn't matter because it's the same exact movie and that your VHS player uses less power than your Blu-Ray player so they thought this was best for you.

I like that one. It's the best comparison anyone has made so far.

Yep, this one works just as well. What they basically did is unacceptable and the closest thing to theft I can think of for those that bought the game and are very aware of graphics and their computer's capabilities. Its really infuriating.

What I would like to know is why they have still used high resolution textures in today's update ('Karaga's Palace' and 'Kaon under siege'), when this issue seems to not be solved in the upcoming 1.1 patch. And no, not everything in the screenshots and video were cutcenes, so I don't get why they are still using in their promotions textures that we can't use in-game, yet. It's misleading, to say the least.

Also, I would like to be able to turn off texture atlas (it shouldn't be that hard to implement, as it was working that way in the beta) and choose if I want to use it or not while we wait for any fix in 1.2 (that will be minor, from the looks of it).

Cheers.

What I would like to know is why they have still used high resolution textures in today's update ('Karaga's Palace' and 'Kaon under siege'), when this issue seems to not be solved in the upcoming 1.1 patch. And no, not everything in the screenshots and video were cutcenes, so I don't get why they are still using in their promotions textures that we can't use in-game, yet. It's misleading, to say the least.

Also, I would like to be able to turn off texture atlas (it shouldn't be that hard to implement, as it was working that way in the beta) and choose if I want to use it or not while we wait for any fix in 1.2 (that will be minor, from the looks of it).

Cheers.

Because if they don't lie about what their game actually looks like, they will trick fewer people into buying it.

Frankly, there is a very easy solution to this problem which I believe a number of other MMOs already use. Only use the high resolution graphics for your OWN avatar and your companion.

Most people only really care about their own toons looks, not that you can render EVERYONE around you in high quality.

Frankly, there is a very easy solution to this problem which I believe a number of other MMOs already use. Only use the high resolution graphics for your OWN avatar and your companion.

Most people only really care about their own toons looks, not that you can render EVERYONE around you in high quality.

I'd settle for this if it also applied to my group and their companions. That's still 4 characters maximum and the game has to drawcall all those textures as soon as you enter dialogue anyway.

Even then, I'd only accept that as an interim fix. It's disgusting how lowly BioWare has set the bar for visual presentation and performance, and outright refuses to let customers even try to run the game without these forced bottlenecks.

"95% of people are playing TOR with no problem at all!"

How about "100% of people aren't playing the TOR we actually developed, because we had to hide that from customers"?

Wasn't the point of the whole "stylized realism" art direction so they could save processing resources for higher resolution textures while simultaneously allowing the game to play on older machines at lower settings without changing the general look too much? Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing the game, I just kind of wish I could have crisp clean visuals... Going from a Maxed out DX11 Arkham City to this DX9 Medium Res Textures with no AA is kind of a bummer.

I want to be able to render everyone in high quality. I should be able to at least try, no?

What really bugs me about this whole thing is:

How can we test the "problems" with high res textures if we cannot turn them on?

Many people are happy with the game and do not wish for a refund because of the high res texture situation. I wish them well. However, some people feel cheated. This information is for them.

I recently got spoke with EA customer service, and got my refund from Origin (it should take effect within 5-10 business days). I calmly explained that the textures used to advertise the game are denied to users during their play experience. The guy on the phone agreed that that could be considered false advertising, and gave me my refund. Took about 20 minutes. Very nice customer service!

I love Bioware, but I won't stand for being deceived. Even if they had the best intentions, the fact that they advertised a game with graphics they deny their users is unacceptable. For those who don't care, I hope you continue to enjoy your play experience. For those who do care, let EA/Bioware know by calmly and reasonably requesting a refund. You'll get it!

I'd settle for this if it also applied to my group and their companions. That's still 4 characters maximum and the game has to drawcall all those textures as soon as you enter dialogue anyway.

Even then, I'd only accept that as an interim fix. It's disgusting how lowly BioWare has set the bar for visual presentation and performance, and outright refuses to let customers even try to run the game without these forced bottlenecks.

"95% of people are playing TOR with no problem at all!"

How about "100% of people aren't playing the TOR we actually developed, because we had to hide that from customers"?

Hi mate,

I have a funny feeling it all has to do with a general speed optimization for the engine from ground up as an overhaul, that needs to be implemented firstly. I think SR stated something about large OPS groups and their unpredictability. So for a single toon AND companion this would be a decent enough fix WHILST they are working on an engine-speedup to implement hirez throughout. At the same time there are of course more and more little bugs found here and there and the resources are running thin at BioWare it appears. Nevertheless I think they will be fixing it but have to do it soon.

The idea of having at least your own toon in hirez in the interim should be possible I bet and if so, should be implemented with NO FURTHER delay as it WILL eleviate the problem for a TON of players immediately and clearly show your commitment much better than with words. Actions speak louder ladies & gentlemen at LucasArts, BioWare and EA.

And please be careful, I still believe SR that it was a bug with medium settings etc. however the move to texture atlas at the same time was VERY questionable and just begs you to think they are trying to fool the customer. Keep in mind we PC users can be nitpickers at times. But with good reason: We have been burnt soooooo many times-never by BioWare, but THAT is why all of this is soo unbelievable. In short: I give you the benefit of the doubt BioWare, but you need to make an effort to be extra honest and quick with info and some interim fixes like above suggested to gain ground. I think the entire player base would agree with that and it is not too much to ask for. The avalanche of speculations has started you need to stop this by letting us in into the real issues.

Keep in mind we are all so bloody peefed because we love this game so much!!

Greetings

P.S. Sorry for the long post, but finally I could get a grip on my thoughts without being too fired up about it all. :p I hope you can understand.

Edited by mArchangel

I have cancelled my sub.

I will be calling EA for a refund tomorrow.

I have also, for what good it does, lodged a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, requesting the BW end their blatant false advertizing.

You can too. Here's the link:

http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business-reviews/computers-system-designers-and-consultants/bioware-in-edmonton-ab-111723

Many people are happy with the game and do not wish for a refund because of the high res texture situation. I wish them well. However, some people feel cheated. This information is for them.

I recently got spoke with EA customer service, and got my refund from Origin (it should take effect within 5-10 business days). I calmly explained that the textures used to advertise the game are denied to users during their play experience. The guy on the phone agreed that that could be considered false advertising, and gave me my refund. Took about 20 minutes. Very nice customer service!

I love Bioware, but I won't stand for being deceived. Even if they had the best intentions, the fact that they advertised a game with graphics they deny their users is unacceptable. For those who don't care, I hope you continue to enjoy your play experience. For those who do care, let EA/Bioware know by calmly and reasonably requesting a refund. You'll get it!

thanks man Im going to do this tomorrow morning. :)

Im excited to get my money back now lol. So happy.

Edited by Basedgawd

I have cancelled my sub.

I will be calling EA for a refund tomorrow.

I have also, for what good it does, lodged a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, requesting the BW end their blatant false advertizing.

You can too. Here's the link:

http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business-reviews/computers-system-designers-and-consultants/bioware-in-edmonton-ab-111723

This I find very regrettable but also merciless.

However if you would look up similar statistics for ANY game company you would probably find their number of complaints MUCH higher. Has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Shame you can't give em a chance to fix. They are humans you know-they make mistakes.

Just saying.

This I find very regrettable but also merciless.

However if you would look up similar statistics for ANY game company you would probably find their number of complaints MUCH higher. Has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Shame you can't give em a chance to fix. They are humans you know-they make mistakes.

Just saying.

The bait and switch routine isn't a mistake. It's a deception.

The bait and switch routine isn't a mistake. It's a deception.

This. I'd go for a full refund but I'd want access to my account in the future, if they ever do bother to fix the game. I just won't be handing them a monthly fee to play their blurry beta.

Edited by Unruhe