Why SWG was better..

kegster

SWG was garbage. A games success is only measure by the number of subscriptions. SWG failed miserably and will forever be know as a failure by the mmorpg community.

I played swg before nge and cu. The crafting was the best I seen, but that's about it. There was nothing to do, but grind for your jedi. Thus, there was nothing to do at end game if you weren't grinding for your jedi.

Thats a good point. but an't that the same as grinding ur pve/pvp gear and being done till next update/expansion?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to provide your constructive views on why the points raised by the OP are not true?

Have you look into the mirror lately?

The op gave nothing but his opinion. There was absolutely nothing constructive at all in his post. All someone would have to say is, "I disagree" and that's it.

TOR is a story driven Theme park. I like Theme parks. I like a well told story. I hate most sandbox games with user created content, though I like certain sand box elements, such as open world exploration and certain types of 'random' quests. I some of that exploration in TOR, if not as much as I would like.

I like the game for what it is and am enjoying the ride.

I miss SWG but SW:TOR is far more "Supierior" :)

Swg was superior in space, tor is superior on ground, hopefully bw will listen to player base and in future have a space game as good as the ground one. I am yet to take my ship out, so can't comment on actual space combat, but lack of open space zones, when I jump to the fleet I want to be able to fly up to station and dock, and take out any imperial fighters that might be snooping around station. And it has no space pvp zones, hopefully that will change with time.

The op gave nothing but his opinion. There was absolutely nothing constructive at all in his post. All someone would have to say is, "I disagree" and that's it.

TOR is a story driven Theme park. I like Theme parks. I like a well told story. I hate most sandbox games with user created content, though I like certain sand box elements, such as open world exploration and certain types of 'random' quests. I some of that exploration in TOR, if not as much as I would like.

I like the game for what it is and am enjoying the ride.

Don't get me wrong i'm, loving this game myself, just pointing some stuff out and having a constructive conversation about it. Like crafting.

What the hell is going on in here? OP gave an opinion and asked for ours? This is absolutely absurd - BURN HIM!!

"Constructive"? Ha, you're only using that words and clinging so to that notion because it's a word constantly used by the Mod Squad, your Almighty Lord and Master!

You sound like a robot "and they designed your life!"

Sure OP's little WoW comment was off color which may have got your blood up since he spoke to your closeted passion, your level 85 Gnome Warrior. You're Sith now, so it's okay to be down-lo.

OP was just trying to open a bit of lighthearted dialogue, and some of you foamin' at the mouth internet racoons bit his ankles.

Okay don't freak out, this is just one gamers look at two different games.

2. Open world pvp, far supierior in SWG. How is that possible? Open World PvP was horrible in swg. Everyone just camped out at restuss and for the most part it was a lag fest for most people playing. The Combat was horrible in swg, no flow and it looked like ****.6 Classes , (pre-cu,Cu,NGE) supierior in SWG. Disgaree, the classes in this game ***** on what was offered in swg. Everyone had the same damn expertise and there is no diversity to what each expertise had to offer. It was boring.

8. Skill based PVP, not gear based in SWG. this is far from the truth. You mean all the buffs each pvper had to have to compete. All the heroic jewerly each one had, capped armor, capped weapons, +35 attachments for gear. that was a huge reach.

The only one I might give you is the community, but swg community sucked for the most part. This community is typical for most mmos. Crafting was also better, but for the most part most people could give two ***** about crafters.

Edited by SeanC

This game way better story driven design makes the grind more enjoyable,

But swg pre cu had better skill structure there was none you trained what you wanted

Making every character unique that's what made swg special, my commando/Medic/bh could kill you at 60m resus you then turn you in for bounty. But nge destroyed that.

And the pvp was indeed better none of this 2 shot rubbish "ohh look a red *spalt-splat* dead" up untill the end swg was fun in combat, everyone had the same base stats (just like mxo (which was in my eyes the best balanced pvp system of any game ive ever played)) and you had to actually be carful and plan out a fight to some degree, unlike swtor which is just a gear based frag fest of "im prolly a worse player than you but my gear is better so I win".

So as I said yes I agree I think swg was way better for many reasons.

Wait, dont you mean how spies and dark jedi could **** you 5 secs or less? Atleast pvp combat of this game lasts longer than 30 secs. Everyone complained about the speed of the combat and the skill of the game, but now all the swg fans come over here and say that the pvp in swg required skill. Give me a break.

It still amazes me though, that people still use SWG pre-cu as a comparison when it hasn't exisited for 5+ years now. Pre-cu wasn't great and it didnt even last as long as swg did, so no reason to make it the holy grail of swg or mmo gaming.

What the hell is going on in here? OP gave an opinion and asked for ours? This is absolutely absurd - BURN HIM!!

"Constructive"? Ha, you're only using that words and clinging so to that notion because it's a word constantly used by the Mod Squad, your Almighty Lord and Master!

You sound like a robot "and they designed your life!"

Sure OP's little WoW comment was off color which may have got your blood up since he spoke to your closeted passion, your level 85 Gnome Warrior. You're Sith now, so it's okay to be down-lo.

OP was just trying to open a bit of lighthearted dialogue, and some of you foamin' at the mouth internet racoons bit his ankles.

You forgot to make Lord and Master plural.

Don't get me wrong i'm, loving this game myself, just pointing some stuff out and having a constructive conversation about it. Like crafting.

If you want to get feedback from others on a certain subject, then presenting your opinion is fine, however to better understand how you feel about it and what it means to you, you have to always give arguments as to why you think SWG is superior.

If you give valid arguments then we can better disagree or agree with you, this leads to a far more constructive, interesting tread. What someone else already mentioned, you gave your opinion but didn't mention at all why.

I could give plenty of reasons why I like SWtor but I cant make a comparison because I havent played SWG.

You forgot to make Lord and Master plural.

I also forgot to use the singular for "words." Pay attention next time. I knew it'd get ya. I didn't even have to call you by name. GRANT ME STRENGTH!

Paris in the the spring. Thank You guinea pig. You shall be relegated to a footnote.

8. Skill based PVP, not gear based in SWG

If by skill you mean kd/Dizzy followed by spamming the same mind damage attack over and over.

As for gear, no it was vary gear based. Armor resistance values made a major impact in combat. mind bleed/poison weapons pushed it over the edge. A large chunk of abilities required well made gear/items such as a combat medics poisons. or a doctors buffs/stims.

The only time the game required remotely any "skill" was during fights between upper tier force users pre-pub 9 or in space combat (and pvp in space was dead from the start, much like ilum is now)

I also forgot to use the singular for "words." Pay attention next time. I knew it'd get ya. I didn't even have to call you by name. GRANT ME STRENGTH!

Paris in the the spring. Thank You guinea pig. You shall be relegated to a footnote.

No, actually, I wanted to see if you would indeed go as far as examine your post henceforth and see that I seemingly left out a correction to your post. You did.

Bravo sir, bravo.

Too bad that I can't find a video of Vader walking with the silly male walk that moved our butts a lot. :p

SWG was good for a sandbox MMO, but the Star Wars feel... was kind of off.

"Yay! I found Leia and Wedge and Han and... lots of bubbles of text without any animation whatsoever." :p

(Not to mention that Han and Leia looked weird)

1. Crafting was far supierior in SWG.

2. Open world pvp, far supierior in SWG.

3. Playable races, far supierior in SWG.

4. Communinty far supierior in SWG.

5. Economy, flawed but supierior in SWG.

6. Classes , (pre-cu,Cu,NGE) supierior in SWG.

7. Player bounty system in SWG

9. Player houseing, in SWG

10. MACROS

Now, tell me where i'm wrong and flame me. Please do i love it. And give me ur top ten reasons this is better than SWG. P.S. WOW subsribers need not apply cause we don't care!

he speaks the truth this game is kinda alright and i dont care wut u think wow players swg was way beter than this even nge lmao Edited by sheeldon

stopped reading at , Why SWG was better.. lol

LOL, I think allot did!

SWG actually had some decent concepts but they just pulled them all off wrong.

I remember when the game launched, First thing I said is, "Here comes the UO Urban Sprawl all over again". Everyone was "Oh no, they learned from that, there to much land for that to happen this time". Took longer but same end result!

SWG housing wasnt a issue, Was the lack of control over the housing the issue. Why couldnt people build houses and what not vertacle (on top of each other) ala Coruscant/Nar Shaddaa/Taris rather then spreading out across the land scape (as SWG didnt have detailed levels like Coruscant/Nar Shaddaa/Taris to play in when fully urbanized.

Why couldnt player cities build apartment buildings so players could rent a apt rather then place a house?

Then a portion of the rent could go back into the city for defence and structure and upgrades.

They allowed shuttle ports and then made shuttle ports meaningless by allowing players to traverse the planets in 10-15 minutes on speeders.

The biggest problem with SWG is they had ideas but didnt think those ideas and concepts through to their logical conclussions.

Like the economy. It was held hostage by a small number of crafters.

If they had put in a NPC store (Like TOR has done really) where yeah, the crafted better but a newb could still buy gear that would allow them to play for a reasonable price. Then Crafters would have willingly brought down their costs. But SWG went all or nothing and the all ended up hurting the game for the mass majority and a small few thousand players benefited.

Course all that is just obvious extentions and wouldnt matter because the number one missing thing in SWG from day one was storyline, meaningful interesting quests.

Until SWG got those at launch, the game was doomed to fail as every open sandbox game with out content will fail. The market just not there for a fully open sandbox MMORPG with no story.

While it might look like there this strong backing on forums, thats just 20 or less people. sometimes even 50 or less. The actual subscriber base simply wasnt there long term.

So yeah, SWG was never better then TOR.

TOR has made a ton of mistakes as well but its still the better game.

Too bad that I can't find a video of Vader walking with the silly male walk that moved our butts a lot. :p

SWG was good for a sandbox MMO, but the Star Wars feel... was kind of off.

"Yay! I found Leia and Wedge and Han and... lots of bubbles of text without any animation whatsoever." :p

(Not to mention that Han and Leia looked weird)

Ahahahaha. I forgot how silly that animation was. I miss hanging out in the Tatooine Cantina. It felt pretty Star Wars to me for the most part. There was a lot more for the community to do together I feel, and it felt nice in the way that you basically were living in your own Star Wars adventure.

10. MACROS

Now, tell me where i'm wrong and flame me. Please do i love it. And give me ur top ten reasons this is better than SWG. P.S. WOW subsribers need not apply cause we don't care!

Actually, I don't keep up on BioWare news, but I've been wondering if they're planning on implementing any of this in expansions, especially the Player Bounty system (oh please please) and some of the non-wow type classes like the entertainer.

No, actually, I wanted to see if you would indeed go as far as examine your post henceforth and see that I seemingly left out a correction to your post. You did.

Bravo sir, bravo.

No you didn't. You got your card pulled. :p

Go splash some cold water in your face, you'll feel better.

Paris in the the spring got you too?

Edit: *whispers* or was it your Gnome warrior?

Edited by Shortwave

10. MACROS

I'll give one proving you're wrong.

SWTOR has more players than SWG ever did. End thread. People obviously disagree. I liked SWG but most people didn't.

Ahahahaha. I forgot how silly that animation was. I miss hanging out in the Tatooine Cantina. It felt pretty Star Wars to me for the most part. There was a lot more for the community to do together I feel, and it felt nice in the way that you basically were living in your own Star Wars adventure.

I agree on the cantina part. It was one of the most enjoyable things. Listening to the bands' music and watching dancers. And you could do it too! (damned holocron that wanted me to go Master Entertainer :p)

And yeah, you could do more things together. Certainly a lot more sitting and talking, it was more... "Friendly" in a way. But I wanted to participate with the heroes as well, which were just there mostly for show. :(

Oh, also liked the little things you could find exploring. Obi-Wan's (small :p) house, the Sarlacc, the escape pods (noone cleans this desert :p), etc. :D

SWTOR has more players than SWG ever did. End thread.

Then COD, CS and TF2 are the best things ever or something. ;)

And WoW is of course the best MMO EVAH! :D (bleh)

Quality != Quantity. But I still prefer SWTOR for most things.

Edited by GhostRiderLSOV

SWG might have had a few things better but the overall game was horrible. What also made SWG worse was....it kept on getting worse!

Also I personally prefer the TOR space combat, but that might be the SF64 inside me chiming in, god I loved that game when I was young. But on track, I would not mind open space combat :)