Where are our Chat Bubbles?

Draconus-Spawn

Indeed Give us the bubbles, i cant understand how they luanched withouot them.

In fact im not dissapointed at the games story or pvp but being BioWare "masters for RPGs" they could rly have done a better jobb on bringing the chars alive.

like some said,

An animation when you talk in /s would be easy to fix i think.

And chat bubbles

"As said even if ppl are talking there toon seem quiet and dead, Also i dont want to look up in the corner all the time when i RP"

i mean comon its basics for all MMOs i cant understand how they could miss it...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need them to be an option that people can toggle on/off. Also, they need to be able to use in guilds only, group only etc and NOT only be a general use or not use.

I am all in for Chat-b, but the downside is that if they are made permanent and not a subject to personal on/off toggle, we will have the areas filled with OOC and leetspeach from time to time.

That = more problems than good. So, a toggle on/off option solves a lot.

This is what was mentioned, and it´s looking really really good.

HollowPoint: There has been a large push in the community for chat bubbles, especially with a toggle option for those who don't want them. Is a chat bubble system in the works? If so, when can we expect it to be implemented?

Damion Schubert: They're definitely on the list. We’ve got many active roleplayers in the dev team and chat bubbles have always been important to us. We actually had chat bubbles in beta, but there was unfortunately some serious performance issues that our implementation caused that, for example, made things really suck in warzones and the fleet. They’ll be coming soon, but in priority, the GUI team is focused first on GUI customization. I'll have a better idea of timing once we get past that. And yes, for people who hate them, whenever we do them, they'll be toggleable.

Indeed Give us the bubbles, i cant understand how they luanched withouot them...

i mean comon its basics for all MMOs i cant understand how they could miss it...

1. They tried them and they affected performance negatively so they took them out while investigating a new solution to implement them. This is cleary explained in the Q&A.

2. I've played four MMOs, not a single one of which had chat bubbles (Asheron's Call, Earth & Beyond, Eve Online, and DDO).

Hi there, everyone! We just wanted to pop by and make sure you all are aware of the answer Damion Schubert gave in regard to this request. You can find it in the Q&A answers blog from February 17th. It's quoted below for you, as well.

HollowPoint: There has been a large push in the community for chat bubbles, especially with a toggle option for those who don't want them. Is a chat bubble system in the works? If so, when can we expect it to be implemented?

Damion Schubert: They're definitely on the list. We’ve got many active roleplayers in the dev team and chat bubbles have always been important to us. We actually had chat bubbles in beta, but there was unfortunately some serious performance issues that our implementation caused that, for example, made things really suck in warzones and the fleet. They’ll be coming soon, but in priority, the GUI team is focused first on GUI customization. I'll have a better idea of timing once we get past that. And yes, for people who hate them, whenever we do them, they'll be toggleable.

We hope this is helpful. Be sure to check out all our Community Blogs at http://www.swtor.com/blog for more great information like this! :)

Edited by Meluna

Lol, it wasnt in beta so its not in at launch.

Actually, chat bubbles were in beta but were removed during late beta due to memory issues with people using clunky dinosaur computers.

Seriously people if you cannot afford $500 USD for a decent system you have far bigger issues than getting a MMORPG to run correctly.

Edited by Damon_Mott

Id very much like to see chat bubbles! like so many I find this feature essential in providing a more natural feel to conversation during Rp. Even with chat filters looking up in one corner of the screen just detracts from the sense of direction and flow of a conversation.

But I too agree it should be able to be turned off and preferably with a radio button within the UI perhaps within the chat box area.

And of course /say speech should still remain always visible in the chat box so you can see Rp happening when bubbles are turned off and catch up if needs be when they are on.

Id rather some simple features like this got some more thought and attention than half the things that get updated and I'm left noticing no difference save my game is running again that little bit slower.

Too late. Guild Wars 2 is launching soon and has chatbubbles and many other RP friendly features build in at launch!

For roleplayers SWTOR certainly is the most dissapointing game in modern history. Which is a real shame because there is so much that could be done with its lore.

Apparently, it is.

Patience, you must learn.

I don't believe its hard at all when you consider the fact that there are tons of low budget free to play korean games that all launch with chatbubbles. I don't believe its a matter of "techical difficulty", come on we aren't talking about implementing a massively complex physics system or an actual working duck and cover system or dynamic quests or whatever, it's just chatbubbles.

The problem isn't that they can't do it, the problem is they don't care. What are they communicating to us as roleplayers? They are communicating that we are way, way, way down on their care list and they will fix everything else first before they give us attention.

Well guess what, I'm returning them the favour and putting them on the bottum of my care list. I'm voting with my wallet and have cancelled my subscription today. If they don't cater to roleplayers like me, they don't deserve my money.

• 1 month later...
Yeah...I have been wondering where the chat bubbles have been since day one and would really...really love to see this implemented soon. It is so detaching for RP to not have these and also seems to make the world feel that much more empty when all the talk is funneled into a small square box in the corner of your screen (Or where ever you might have said chat log). Please Bioware! Chat bubbles are a must in any MMORPG - this is not one of those things you can really change, they are in every bigwig online game because they work and people want them, not because they are an old concept we just never bothered to complain about or anything. Please please please give us our word blobs! <3

I seriously hope these come out soon. It will make my life SO much easier. Even out of Role Play, people ignore me when I talk to them in /say because they have general up, or don't pay attention. I have to use /whisper to get anyone to respond to me half the time.

• 10 months later...