Do you optimize your gear in sub-50 PvP?

Technohic

I was just curious as it seems I see a lot more people with augmented gear in sub-50 while I have kind of felt like I just wanted to level quickly and wouldn't bother. But, from reading chat in WZs I can easily see some people take sub-50 more seriously than I do.

I just want to know to what extent people go to gear their sub-50s. You go all blue? All Purple? Orange with blue/purple mods? Augments? You get yourself some stims? I even finally saw someone with nades and realized I might have sold them that nade. lol

How far do you go?

I don't bother with it. When you start to add it up, lowbie purple gear is expensive from what I have seen and you really don't stay in its level range very long. I and most people will perform fine just using orange gear with mods you get from planet commendations.

If people want to take lowbie pvp that seriously then more power to them, but to me it seems like a lot of time and credits wasted only to be 100% obsolete at level 50.

i dont gear to the total hilt every two levels

but i gear pretty much solidly to the hilt every 8 levels or so

i go as much purple (with main stat emphasis-- "skill mod versus patron mod" for example) mods and gear as i can get

i will get earpieces and implants that have augment slots, if they are available and carefully evaluate pros/cons (wont spend 50k to get a teeny increase), and get the best augment (sometimes purple sometimes blue) with the main stat stack

i used to roll the +41 endurance crystals in my weapon and ofhand but i use the +41 power in each-- this is probably the biggest impact on gear i think--

i will sometimes run diplomacy just to spam ls/ds points in order to pick up a nice relic at 19 or so up to 29

and i will augment that as well

i also run with at least a blue biochem stim (if it's not crewskilled)

it is not so much to "pwn" but to give myself the best chance to win a lowbie -- the derpiness of lowbie wz's is definitely an overpowered and almost insurmountable foe-- gear has little bearing on an outright derpfest but it does help

i have more success geared than not and as i spend most time leveling in wz's and rarely questing (only class quests as well if only to get another crew member to run more crew missions)

i craft what i can craft and buy the rest off the gtn

i have the credits to do it and i understand the cost

Edited by Daxy

Personally I find a set of orange gear to use by 20 and augment it. I drop blue armoring/mods/enh every 4 levels. I do blue augments but only every 10-12 levels. Hilts/barrels I spring for purples. When I get to the low 40s I'll drop purples in and ride it out to 50.

Now I have every crafting profession maxed so I can do all of this in house farely cheaply.

I was just curious as it seems I see a lot more people with augmented gear in sub-50 while I have kind of felt like I just wanted to level quickly and wouldn't bother. But, from reading chat in WZs I can easily see some people take sub-50 more seriously than I do.

I just want to know to what extent people go to gear their sub-50s. You go all blue? All Purple? Orange with blue/purple mods? Augments? You get yourself some stims? I even finally saw someone with nades and realized I might have sold them that nade. lol

How far do you go?

I take advantage of what I have readily available. If I can craft gear and augments and augmentation kits for alts, I do so, because every little bit helps, but I do not go out of my way to make sure that every little thing is fully optimized. For example, on my last alt (a bounty hunter) I used a number of level 17 purple quality augments because I had the schematic and the materials available. Those augments were still in use when that character dinged level 50. Once that character hit 50 I had level 49 (rank 22) purple augments and augmentation kits waiting to drop into the level 50 gear I had waiting for me.

All purple and on par with my level when possible. I've had problems finding purple enhancements lately though so some are currently blue. The main reason to why I'm "twinking out" is that I hate the PvE part of leveling, I'm usually 5 levels under the content and want to breeze through it as fast as possible. If the NPC'es are going to resist 90 % of my attacks I want the 10 % to really count.

So, with the cash shop and adapative (low level) gear I'll get a set as soon as I reach the fleet. It will instantly be augmented with mk-6 kits so I don't have to worry about upgrades as I replace augments.

I didn't for my first toons, but i found i really enjoyed pvp on my assassin so once i got my first piecesi just upgraded mods as i collected commendations. I did spring for the +41 expertise gems in my saber/shield just to give me an edge but only because I'd use them at 50. It have me ~3% increase to dmg/reduction and putting all my cartel points into the legacy experience boost to wzs I've leveled fairly quickly just doing pvp. Just hit 49 with maxed out ranked and wz points will help me once i ding 50, to get past the frustration of getting destroyed I'm recruit gear.

If you have a few crafting toons (cybertech, synthweaving, artifice etc) you can keep your new alts geared up pretty easily.

Before I decided to level up a jugg I jumped on my cybertech crafter and spent 2-3 days smashing out mods and armorings. Then I took up artifice on the jugg to get my enchancements/hilts.

I found part of the fun of leveling was knowing that I had a full set of armorings/mods/enhancement/hilt waiting in my cargo hold ready to go in. It provided extra motivation to get to the next level because "I wanted those mods in my gear".

The other bonus is it makes a huge difference in questing. I am tearing through orange/yellow quests as if they were greens and also doing some 2man heroics solo. Then when i join a warzone i often have more hp then the 40+ toons lol.

Yeah, I really only bother gearing up like every 10 levels, and even then only with what I can get with planetary comms, or buy cheaply on the GTN. The exception is level 49. As I do daily quests, I obviously end up with a lot of orange drops, which rather than sell, I just send to my alts so they can rip the mods out at level 49, and enjoy one level of twinkage/godmode before they jump into the 50 queue.

Not really. Normal routine is to gear toons out so all that can be orange is, aug main pieces with purple once or twice, and keep blue and maybe some purple mods until upper 30s and purple accessory pieces. I don't upgrade frequently though. Then a mod and accessory upgrade around 40, and coast to 50.

I know gearing well sub-50 isn't necessary but usually do for the hell of it; or if it's a new class story and I'll be taking time to smell the roses along the way.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Personally I find a set of orange gear to use by 20 and augment it. I drop blue armoring/mods/enh every 4 levels. I do blue augments but only every 10-12 levels. Hilts/barrels I spring for purples. When I get to the low 40s I'll drop purples in and ride it out to 50.

Now I have every crafting profession maxed so I can do all of this in house farely cheaply.

That's what I do too.

Thanks for all the responses.

I did go at one point, and craft gear for my sage who fell behind a few levels and tried crafting all purple quality items. That took forever and I felt like it wasn't worth it. So reading here, I went and I thought my Vanguard was about 5 levels behind in gear.

Got him in all oranges except I don't have any schems for orange heavy boots until level 31 (I have some but they require specific classes) and he is actually my armstech so those items are just blue, along with implant and purple adrenals because I had the mats on hand. Blues were not so bad to craft. Some of the gear I got an augment slot and I have the ability to craft one low level augment so I might do that. Might as well if the slot is there, but I haven't yet.

Turns out I was closer to 10 levels behind on gear somehow when I looked to equip the newly crafted gear. Its funny cause the last match I did 200k damage. Didn't have time to give the updated gear a test run but it should be fun.

I suppose once a toon is in all orange, it doesn't take that much time to update from time to time.

What you can do is buy adaptive armor and put Mk-5 slots on them so this way you don't have to worry about new kits every tier just swap out augments when you can and since you'll be using the same armor from 1-49 you just need to worry about changing mods, enhancements etc..

How far do you go?

I don't go out of my way...as I'm leveling and crafting I wind up with blue armor anyway. and generally I craft augments and augment kits as I'm leveling up.

Not like it takes any real time to do it, your companions handle it and you get commendations just for doing the planet quests.

As far as stat optimization - I just always augment for main stat, and get gear that has a lot of power in the low levels, crit/surge 40+. This is because crit/surge never gets very high sub-40, so power is more valuable.

Edited by dcgregorya

I like to keep everything pretty close to BiS as I level to 50 in PvP.

I haven't left the fleet since I got my star ship on my current alt which is now 35ish and that leveling has been all through PvP and a couple flashpoints.

I had a full set of the level 20 armor, I have the 40 set waiting; even though I can craft better armorings/mods/enhancements it won't be in the game much longer.

I have multiple full stacks of PvP Medpacks and Adrenals and am not shy to use them every time off cooldown if needed.

I craft and use grenades everyday and if they are off cooldown when you pop your CC breaker without full resolve you are hitting the ground.

Edited by Killtastrophe