[Feedback] Group Finder

thebadmf

• Dev Post
Thanks for all the Group Finder feedback, everyone! We're working diligently to gather your bug reports and feedback. In regards to role icons being incorrect - we have fixes for this and several other Group Finder UI issues coming soon. Keep your reports and feedback coming!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ow yes, we need to see the estimated time of queing and how many of each role is there qued, so say, if there isnt enough helers someone can either respec, or say, we could make one of our guildiee healz join the que.

And the gear requirement is a must have as well, no point of fresh 50s, bah! even Tionese 50s in Lost Island or Denova.

My original post:

As I type this, there is someone in general chat on fleet actually COORDINATING the roles for people to select to get a flashpoint on Group Finder to pop.

There are not enough healers and tanks. There are NEVER enough healers and tanks. I was actually a supporter of single-server group finder at first, but... Guys, if it's going to be like this, you may as well just not have it.

Cross-server queues are needed. Pull DPS from the same server, try to get healers and tanks from the same server, but if not, find them from a different one. No flashpoints below level 50 are popping at all.

Please reconsider your decision to not implement cross-server capability before this goes live.

Current argument: Adding to the pool of players in the group finder will not fix the problem. (IE: The ratio will be the same.)

This is the best argument I've seen against cross-server, however, I disagree. Cross-server will keep the group finder moving.

Let's say 7 people are looking for a group on server A. There are two tanks, one healer, and 4 DPS.

One group is already formed, and the second just needs a healer.

Meanwhile, on sever B, 7 more people are looking for a group. On this one, there are three healers, a tank, and three DPS. One group is formed here, one healer is taken by server A, and leftover is one DPS and one Healer, who are taken by...

...the first group to start on Server C.

The ratios on every server are not going to be the same, even with transfers coming. There are 120-some servers, and some of them are going to have 2 healers just hanging out in the group finder for hours, or some where a tank just can't catch a break. Resources from those other servers can and SHOULD be pulled in to help groups form.

Mathematically, your argument doesn't rely on different servers, but simply the number of players queued, and the proper ratio of tank/healer/dps. It would make no difference if they were all on the same server or different servers, as the basic unit (player) is the same.

If same-server population increases, then theoretically your point that cross-server is required for this to work becomes less viable. Higher numbers of people on the same server queuing means more groups, means happy players. No where in your logic above is it vital that players *must* be on different servers.

If one server has a significant lack of one of the roles (tank/healer/dps) that throws a group finder out of whack, my supposition is lots of players will start flocking to that role, and even at early levels the GF will allow for them to find groups.

Bottom line, I don't understand your argument how cross-server makes this better/worse. I don't believe you've made your point you were attempting to achieve.

Yeah, I was a little hot-headed yesterday due to some extreme frustration, and now that I've actually sat and done a couple permutations of the math, you're right. It would only compound things. I've since made another suggestion, perhaps providing an additional daily reward to tanks or healers who queue. (Another commendation or two.)

Yeah, I was a little hot-headed yesterday due to some extreme frustration, and now that I've actually sat and done a couple permutations of the math, you're right. It would only compound things. I've since made another suggestion, perhaps providing an additional daily reward to tanks or healers who queue. (Another commendation or two.)

You're still pretty though.

Please add in an estimated time for group to be formed right now its frustrating just waiting with no idea how long. I just got done testing the LFG tool for 2 hours on pts and it was very very frustrating. In a 4 man group nothing popped until folks deselected the operations...only 1 person did not deselect so when we requeued it popped instantly for Eternity Vault only when you accepted transport it went to HM lost island. Very frustrating.

After that tried queueing as 3 man and 2 man groups with no luck. Also because there arent that many people on pts now that they all tested on the first 2 days it is almost impossible to get a queue pop unless you are a tank. It is becoming obvious that cross server queuing is going to be required to avoid further frustration and extremely long queues.

Also please add in an option for members to deselect or select what to queue for while in group. Currently you are locked out of that option the moment you join a group.

And finally like the other posts in this thread please add in some sort of gear check that possibly goes off the armor ratings and takes an average and then apply that average to the different tiers of operations and flash points and HM flash points. That way only people with a certain gear level can queue up for say the Tier 2 dungeons or flash points. That way you will avoid undergeared people being removed from groups and getting frustrated.

This LFG tool is extremely bare bones atm and needs a lot of work. I'm still waiting for the patch fix.

Concerning some other feature wishes here: Don't overcomplicate it.

After saying that I have of course my own problem report/improvement request *cough*:

The group finder currently always looks for groups of 4. Even if content is only for 2, e.g. in Black Talon or for many Planet Heroics. For [Heroics 2] it is worse than for Black Talon because to get four people together, the finder uses a large level range. This means that the people grouped will be on completely different parts of the planet and wanting to do completely different heroics.

Possible improvements:

* For Heroics (and maybe the Esseles/Black Talon) allow player to specify seeked group size.

* For Heroics apply a stricter level range (gives a higher probability people will actually have the same heroics) _or_ actually look at people's quests to ensure they have at least one heroic in common.

why can't I select which flashpoint I want to queue for? Most are greyed out.

I have the quest to go do Athiss. I'm lvl 23 almost 24. the only FPs it lets me select are Hammer station and Mandalorian raiders.

[LFG]

• General: don't like the UI, it's messy / not clear. (Not as good as WoW/Rift)
  • Write down entries in one single column (vs in rows)
  • Add the instance/content level next to the entries on the left (vs only mouse over)
  • Add the number of required players next to the entries
  • Sort entries by level
  • Have one page/tab by type of content (vs all in the same page)
  • Allow players to change the selected choices without leaving the queue
  • UI is missing see open groups, player notes and lots of features (cf DDO).
  • My trooper that has only 3 points in healing tree should not be able to queue as healer.

Edited by Deewe

I have the quest to go do Athiss. I'm lvl 23 almost 24. the only FPs it lets me select are Hammer station and Mandalorian raiders.

It's a known issue. From the "Known Issues" list:

Group Finder will not allow players to select or queue for content that is already listed in their Mission Log.

Workaround: Players must complete or abandon any Flashpoint or Operation missions that are currently in the Mission Log and then refresh the user interface (CTRL+U twice) to have the grayed out content display as available.

This is a bug. There's a workaround on the last post of the patch notes thread about a workaround for it.

EDIT: Oops, beaten to it.

Edited by ChaosKirin

It's a known issue. From the "Known Issues" list:

Group Finder will not allow players to select or queue for content that is already listed in their Mission Log.

Workaround: Players must complete or abandon any Flashpoint or Operation missions that are currently in the Mission Log and then refresh the user interface (CTRL+U twice) to have the grayed out content display as available.

thanks.

that worked... though now hammer station is greyed out... oh well

ok got my first group with group finder... about 10 min ago... still in a loading screen...

the progress bar isn't moving but the little gear is spinning slowly.

Ok I just appeared at the entrance after 20min... but I'm not in a group and no one else is here... what just happened?

loading screens I saw:

first

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/FITorion/SWTOR/Bugs/Screenshot_2012-06-08_19_26_53_377929.jpg

then

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/FITorion/SWTOR/Bugs/Screenshot_2012-06-08_19_28_44_290039.jpg

I was in the queue but as it doesn't show if there is anyone else in the queue too I had no indication on how long I had to wait. I was just about to leave the queue and log off when it hit. Some sort of listing of those in the queue with me would be welcomed.

Edited by FITorion

The information is already out there in YouTube videos and guides, so not really. Having this information available in-game, having it be always up-to-date and having it coming from the authority that should know it best would eliminate problems that arise when someone in the group is operating under information from an old or incomplete or misunderstood guide.

Except just because it is on there, does not mean everyone looks at it or wants to. The group I play with like surprises for our content, actually learning stuff there on the spot. Unless we are badly stumped for a certain encounter and cannot find out everything ourselves, we ignore any guides and stuff.

I personally would keep that stuff out.

This one really needs to be fixed. Otherwise, people will be using the group finder as an easy fleet pass and dropping group as soon as they are teleported in. On top of that, it will discourage people from using the tool while questing because they'd then have to travel all the way back to the planet they were on.

I'd also like them to add a way to do the daily FP conflict quest along with the individual quests without having to obtain them on fleet. Maybe make the daily conflict quest part of the group finder and then make the individual quests occur over your personal comms as the group zones into the FP. Once the final boss dies, the comms come up again to complete the quest.

There really is no reason to be ported back to where you started. So it takes a few minutes spent getting back to where you started. This is a small price to pay for the convenience of being able to do things other than sit in fleet while waiting for a queue to pop. I highly doubt that people will use the LFG for a quick fleet pass, as I expect that most queue times will be longer than it would take to get back to fleet anyway.

With regards to the daily FP conflict quests, I do agree that a quest giver with the appropriate daily at the start of the instance would be a convenience. For those that wish to say grab the FP conflict daily before you queue, which daily do you grab if you only have room for one or two, and are queuing for a random FP?

I was disconnected from the server and dropped from my group finder group. I wasn't out of the game for longer than 90 sec. has anyone else experienced this situation or did my group vote to kick me?

If this is part of the group finder function it seems both excessive and unnecessary when there is already a vote to kick function. Being dropped from the group means I don't get credit for random que AND if I can't remember the other players names, then I won't even be able to finish the flashpoint by getting re-invited.

As a lvl 50 I can't LFG for low level Flashpoints? Why?

THIS. And an example of why: I want a gear drop from Colicoid. It's incredibly hard to find a group for Colicoid on my server. Good luck solo-ing it. What would solve this problem? Right, a group finder. Can I queue for Colicoid? Nope.

Also thinks my 33/8/0 jugg in tank gear can fill a DPS role. I have no comment on this. :D

Well just one... These aren't the "default settings" you're looking for.

I'm not testing, but I just wanted to say thanks for the information regarding how the progress is coming with the LFG tool, and also thanks for being the patient few that are willing to put time into the PTS. You guys do a good service.

I hope they get these bugs/inconvenient features cleaned up pretty quickly, would hope to see the LFG be as useful as possible.

ok got my first group with group finder... about 10 min ago... still in a loading screen...

the progress bar isn't moving but the little gear is spinning slowly.

Ok I just appeared at the entrance after 20min... but I'm not in a group and no one else is here... what just happened?

loading screens I saw:

first

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/FITorion/SWTOR/Bugs/Screenshot_2012-06-08_19_26_53_377929.jpg

then

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/FITorion/SWTOR/Bugs/Screenshot_2012-06-08_19_28_44_290039.jpg

I was in the queue but as it doesn't show if there is anyone else in the queue too I had no indication on how long I had to wait. I was just about to leave the queue and log off when it hit. Some sort of listing of those in the queue with me would be welcomed.

I actually got the exact same loading screen for a VoidStar today. Blank no info no bar showing progress. I finally hit space bar to see what it would do and Poof i was in the warzone. So that issue is not isolated to just the group finder.