[Videos] Mercenary PVP Videos

HaZmY

Mercenary PVP Guide

Patch: 1.7.3

Changelog:
04/04/2013 - added Credits and F.A.Q.

It is said that Commando/Mercenary is the weakest PvP class in SWTOR due to it's nearly zero team utility, immobility and not being the best at any role! Well it is partly true, but in good hands this class can be a quite good DPS in PvP and that is what I will try to prove you!

My guide is not strict and I am also open to new ideas so if you feel you can add something to it, please don't hesitate and comment, but with good manners please! Also if it helped you, give the credits!

Content

• 1. Abilities

• 2. Skill Tree

• 3. Rotation

• 4. Stats

• 5. Priorities

• 6. Strategies

• 7. Role

• 8. Video Links

• 9. Credits

• 10. F.A.Q.

1. Abilities

Tracer Missile

Activation: 2 secs

Heat: 16

Cooldown: zero

Range: 30 m

Launches a missile at the target that deals 670 kinetic damage and applies a heat signature, reducing the armor rating by 4% for 15 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times. Heat signatures leave the target vulnerable to Rail Shot.

Heatseeker Missiles

Instant

Cooldown: 15s

Fires several missiles that deal 816 kinetic damage. This damage is increased by 5% per heat signature on the target.

Rail Shot

Instant

Fires a very powerful shot at the target that deals 1404 - 1591 weapon damage. Only usable against incapacitated targets and targets suffering from periodic damage.

Unload

Instant

Unloads your blaster into the target, dealing 587 - 690 weapon damage every second. Weak and standard enemies caught in the blaster fire are stunned for the duration. Fires both blasters if dual wielding.

Concussion Missile

Activation: 2 secs

Heat: 8

Cooldown: 60s

Fires a missile at the target that knocks it out for up to 60 seconds. Non-player, non-standard and non-weak targets regenerate health rapidly while knocked out. Damage to the target causes this effect to end prematurely.

Jet Boost

Instant

Cooldown: 30s

Blasts 5 nearby enemies back and away. Targets hit by this take 462 - 501 elemental damage and have their movement slowed by 50% for 4 seconds.

2. Skill tree

Arsenal Skill tree: 3/31/7

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000cZMIkbRMdRkfzZf0b.2

Henu's Skill tree: 7/32/2

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300Mc0MZMIkrRrdRzczZb.2

3. Rotation

Normal Rotation:

Explosive Dart

Heatseeker Missiles

Tracer Missile

Tracer Missile

Tracer Missile

Heatseeker Missiles

Rail Shot

Unload

Death from Above

Against Melee:

Explosive Dart

Heatseeker Missiles

Rocket punch

Jet Boost ( will be snared for a short duration )

Unload

Tracer Missile

Tracer Missile

Tracer Missile

Heatseeker Missiles

Rail Shot

"Your basic rotation, while not very complex, can take a bit of time to execute fully. Don’t be afraid to break it up with survivability skills, movement, or reactionary skills as necessary. Use your Power Surge with Tracer Missiles to get them up even faster. Weave in your Rapid Shots to maintain your ammo."

Remember to always maintain your Tracer Missiles debuff

4. Stats

The primary stat for Mercenary is Aim, you should get all extra of it as you can, since it gives you the best boost!

Accuracy is the second most important stat for your character. It reduces your chance to miss, no need to explain that.Your aim is to reach 110%. Above 100% accuracy reduces enemy defenses to dodge or resist your attacks!

Then you should max your critical chance. You should know that there is no point adding more crit above 30%! Around 450 you should stop! See Graph below!

The same is with Surge Rating, you should add as much as you can! Surge rating is the only stat you can the fastest. It's cap should be around 300 and there you can slow down. See Graph below!

To further increase your damage, you will need Tech Power / Power, same as aim but reach crit and surge cap first!!

The trickiest stat is Alacrity. It is the most argued stat I think in SWTOR, it reduces your globad cooldowns and cooldowns of your abilities. You should use this as you mind, personally I prefer getting as much as I can to be able to mass Tracer Missile! Though It stacks very slow, so you need a lot of it if you want to be effective !

5. Priorities

Cap Graph:

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/attachment.php?aid=295

Stat Graph:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2079/statscaling.jpg

Aim >= Accuracy > Crit = Surge > Power/Tech Power > Alacrity

6. Strategies( Unfinished )

- Against ranged characters it works really well, you just have to keep doing the rotation with some Death from above or explosive dart maybe and try to close the gap and use some of your CCs.

- Against melee classes...well your only chance is to kite them while you stack Heat Signitures and blow them up with Heatseekers really. Activating Energy shield is a must and stacking the Power Barrier also to reduce as much damage as you can. If you are ablo to push them away, use Unload immediately to slow them down and keep at medium range so Knights or Warriors can't jump on you! If everything fails use Concussion Missile!

"Ok, maybe i can give a few hints as root and run instead of facetank. Hide in plain view so to speak, dont be a obvious target." - Nightkin

So basically you should always avoid the centre of the battle and try to find a decent place to nuke from! And avoid facetanking melee classes, because they hurt quite a lot ^^

7. Role( Unfinished )

Being a ranged DPS means you will have to focus down squishy targets from your enemy's team!

Priority Targets:

Healers>Melee DPS( Sentinel or DPS Assassin or Scoundrel ), to help our melees>Ranged DPS and in the last case the Tank, but only if there's no other target

You can change the Melee DPS, Ranged DPS Priority but i prefer helping my mates!

Generally about the maps:

Attacking :Basically you have to do the killing part, because you can't really tank or stealth ambush their objectives. Help your team with your great damage and stuns!

Defending: Here I think mercenaries and commandos are absolutely great. You have CCs and you have plenty of AOE to interrupt and force the enemy not to capture objectives!

8. Video Links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuJ_CTiOYJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlvMsa0T0xE&feature=youtu.be

9. Credits

- Nightkin

- Henu

10. F.A.Q.

I am feeling rather squishy..and I seem to die rather fast.. Should I focus on using more endurance mods..or continue as I am and just use primarily aim mods? - VictoireStar

- Continue going on Aim, you will never be tanky enough to hold damage. Your only chance to survive is to be a Monster DPS.

Thank you!:D

Edited by HaZmY

While i applaud your intent of helping people i do have some critique and even though i will sound rude, its not my intent.

Ok here we go.., im afraid that you are not as good as you think you are. 1: Facetanking and clicking is nothing short of horrible

2: trying to spam tracer missile in melee range is horrible

3: burning all your cc on someone with full resolve is horrible.

And thats just your two first minutes of the video. Wich is about as much as i could stand. Im sorry buddy but you need alot more training before your guides can be taken seriously.

As i said I am a new mercenary and I still can't perform as well as I should be, and I think that's not even a problem because it seems I might be better than the average. I made errors which occur quite often even at good players I think.

About the critics..even though it was quite sharp, don't feel offended because I can work on these mistakes, but I think the guide itself is viable and helpful for a lot of people.

I've also written that feel free to write or add new things or fix error in the guide and I will edit it and also add your name to it.

Writing critics is easy, helping is the real work!

P.S.: Judging from your videos, you aren't that better to judge my guide so hard and that's also not an offense.

Edited by HaZmY

As i said I am a new mercenary and I still can't perform as well as I should be, and I think that's not even a problem because it seems I might be better than the average.

About the critics..even though it was quite sharp, don't feel offended because I can work on these mistakes, but I think the guide itself is viable and helpful for a lot of people.

I've also written that feel free to write or add new things or fix error in the guide and I will edit it and also add your name to it.

Writing critics is easy, helping is the real work!

Well now i have to applaud your spirit mate :)

Ok, maybe i can give a few hints as root and run instead of facetank. Hide in plain view so to speak, dont be a obvious target. But all that (and the clicking, that must go) is something you will learn pretty soon.

2.0 is just around the corner right now though and that will change alot of things, the guide as it stands will have to be rewritten for the new tactical options we will have available to us.

But the target priorities will prolly remain the same, its the basics of pvp.

As i said earlier, i applaud your effort and i didnt mean any offence :)

Edit: Welcome to the merc class, its a painful ride so i hope you are ready for it ;)

Edited by Nightkin

Na Rotations are wrong.. open with HSM and sticky grenade, get those 2 on CD and then get your TM's and unload. why. coz HSM is a bigger hitter 4-5k, so then start your TM's, by the time your got the 3 off with 1 unload you have HSM back up and a rail shot waiting.

And your tree ewww, yuck...

Take away from Power Over rides, Gyro vents, advance targeting and USE Improved vents, critical reaction and Jet escape.

Why, because with system Calibrations + Critical Reaction you can get 1.3 TM cast and 2.7 unloads.. same amount of damage in a quicker time.

Power overrides is only good for Pyro tree, as a merc arsenal you shouldnt even need it.

And finally Jet escape lowers your CC breaker by 30's i think its a must for PVP.

Yeah IMO not a very good write up at all, i dont think i saw once the use of your Rocket punch, using this Vs Melee is very handy.

2 set bonus; atm using PVE set (TM crit increase) and medic ( 3sec extra shield) is the best way to go. Why; because as an Arsenal merc you dont need a rail shot crit increase from the PVP armor set.

3 at 1 point you talk about Dots, we have no dots.

4 Death from above. does our BEST damage if you see 3 targets together. EG door capping or melee stacked on healers.

its not about rotations in PVP. you use what ability you can when you can.

PS 2 minutes of you video and i wanted to cry.. you spoke of kiting but you stood in the same spot and hardly moved.. you UI is hard to see your targets cast, hard to interrupt...

Edited by Henu

Na Rotations are wrong.. open with HSM and sticky grenade, get those 2 on CD and then get your TM's and unload. why. coz HSM is a bigger hitter 4-5k, so then start your TM's, by the time your got the 3 off with 1 unload you have HSM back up and a rail shot waiting.

Sticky grenade? I didnt think mercs had that skill??

Yeah IMO not a very good write up at all, i dont think i saw once the use of your Rocket punch, using this Vs Melee is very handy.

Did you come around on the rocket punch root? You were (as I) very much against it. I've played pyro almost exclusively since so I haven't tested it myself.

And your tree ewww, yuck...

Take away from Power Over rides, Gyro vents, advance targeting and USE Improved vents, critical reaction and Jet escape.

Why, because with system Calibrations + Critical Reaction you can get 1.3 TM cast and 2.7 unloads.. same amount of damage in a quicker time.

Power overrides is only good for Pyro tree, as a merc arsenal you shouldnt even need it.

And finally Jet escape lowers your CC breaker by 30's i think its a must for PVP.

huh... I thought advance targeting was critical for Arsenal pvp. Last time I played it with just system calibration gave me 1.4 TMs (going on memory) You wouldn't take 30% armor pen over that? Again playing pyro for a long time so these are questions and not statements.

Edited by Choffware

huh... I thought advance targeting was critical for Arsenal pvp. Last time I played it with just system calibration gave me 1.4 TMs (going on memory) You wouldn't take 30% armor pen over that? Again playing pyro for a long time so these are questions and not statements.

Using 1 medic implant got it down tp 1.3 cast.. with out loosing too damage. but might change in 2.0

Did you come around on the rocket punch root? You were (as I) very much against it. I've played pyro almost exclusively since so I haven't tested it myself.

against it i was for sure but i had to make do, BW wouldnt change it back.