1.4 Overload

makaru

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had sometime to get used to the changes of overload (PvP) and my feelings are mixed.

As stated we all agree the animation and latency of server-client can be a chore to time, but moving on...

I like the more precise ability to angle and push folks, ledges, firetraps, acid baths ect.

I don't like re-training myself to use it in a much different manner. For myself it was a complete defensive cd. I would charge through my opposition just as I clipped through them I would overload to send them far behind me, spin range attack and continue to kite.

Edit: sorceror dps

Simply my .02 credits

Edited by Nodulo

Actually, the new version is pretty LOL. Instead of praying that it actually knocked them back the way you did with the old one, now you can actually determine where you fling them to. The old one was extremely guilty of knocking your targets straight up into the air and exactly back down into the same spot they started from.

What's great about the new one, is it is way easier to send someone diagonally over the edge of a ramp or to time a KB into fire/acid. They don't just back/strafe out of the way in the time it takes your animation to finish, like before.

It has, however, made it more difficult to keep Operatives away from you. That is the biggest downside, in that you now need to reserve your Force Speed to escape from Concealment Ops.

It doesn't push near as far as it did. It's utterly useless now.

My mais issue is i canot trow poeple down from the ledges in pvp.

And most of the times with my lag i dont hit them at all.

Was not a good improvement . I dont mind have tto look at the enemy i just want the spell to do what is ment. if i use it and they stay in teh same spot....useless now.

Yeah... the knock back distance has not changed at all. I still haven't had any issues with lag now that it fires off faster. I also haven't had issues with it "hitting less people"; I can actually hit more people with the swath it cuts at 15m. Oh, and it works the same for sorcs and sins. I think that takes care of the misinformation I've seen in this thread.

It doesn't push near as far as it did. It's utterly useless now.

It should push the same distance; you can't claim that it doesn't push as far based on what you "observe."

My mais issue is i canot trow poeple down from the ledges in pvp.

You can do this, you just need to be in the right place and facing the right direction.

And most of the times with my lag i dont hit them at all.

If you can't hit them as much with lag now how did you use the knock back previously when it had a delay in its effect? If you are lagging that much to the point where you can't use an aimed skill effectively then your overall pvp performance should be affected in a similar way because pvp combat is largely based on fast reactions.

I actually like it, despite the ridiculous mechanic of the effect happening BEFORE the animation ends. I've knocked more people into the fire in Huttball than ever before.

The effect happening before the animation ends is a good thing, It might not look good but it the way skills should work. Waiting for animations to end isn't fluid combat and makes games feel unresponsive.

As for the skill in 1.4, yeah now it require a little skill to use but it does seem a little hit and miss on how far they are knocked back. Sometimes it seems to knock people back further than before and sometimes not as far.

I'm considering taking this ability off my quickbar. It misfired 80% of every time I used it in PvP today. No animation played, no sound and no enemies affected but the global cooldown and the overload cooldown is triggered. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm considering taking this ability off my quickbar. It misfired 80% of every time I used it in PvP today. No animation played, no sound and no enemies affected but the global cooldown and the overload cooldown is triggered. Anyone else having this problem?

Not I, but oh my!

That sounds pretty lame there, guy.

Five more syllables.

Seriously though, I haven't had any straight up misfires, only cases of me misjudging distance. Maybe there's something janky about your connection, or maybe it's an actual bug. I certainly wouldn't recommend taking it off of your quickbar, though. 20% is better than 0%, after all; fortunately for me, my Overload is fully operational. :D

When I am not playing my assassin, or shadow, I like the new overload. I would have been flung off the ledges in huttball many times since "the patch". As it is now, I get knocked back only a little, or I shoot straight up. It's certainly MUCH less powerful as the merc version, or really even close to what it was.

If I'm standing right on top of inquisitor, or sage, I'm pretty safe from knockbacks. About the only time I get a decent knockback on me is if I am standing well away from them.

Hate everything about the overload. Voiced everything I hated about it on the forums back when they announced the changes.

Its exactly as bad as I expected it to be.

Hate everything about 1.4 overload - the animation, the cone, the distance, the strength - HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT 1.4 OVERLOAD!!

Gameplaywise having no delay and a longer reach and distance on the knockback makes a lot of sense.

I'm just sad about the old slow animation being gone, I used to use the skill from time to time on my tank just for the bullet time like jump.

Snipers still have 360 degree knockback and 20 second immunity to stun and interrupts.

Any Jug/marauder/sentinel/guardian worth half a penny leaps and immediately walks into you or your side; avoiding the knockback entirely. Forget about it if you have more than one, it's a 3 second death in full WH EWH.

To make up for this I went hybrid, deep into lightning which now includes my bubble blinding and roots on overload. It's working out., especially the blind on those damn leaps.

Edited by Boops

There is no question that the "oh crap" and "panic button" defensive utility of Overload/Force Wave has been reduced but in its place we now have an almost instant-cast ability that has a predictable, aimed effect. The old Overload/Force Wave was not as predictable in terms of which direction the bad guys went flying. The new ability generally does knockback opponents in the direction it is aimed. This allows for aimed positioning -- into the acid pit, knockback behind a pillar or LOS, etc. Lag at times messes this up but generally it is a better offensive ability because it knockback in a general direction more predictably (and because of the the instant cast change too).

The downside of the Overload/Force Wave Changes? I don't think the area of effect matches the animation graphical overlay which leads to unpredictable results, especially for up-close opponents. The Sorc Overload animation looks pretty cheesy; my recommendation is to replace it with the Force Wave animation but with a purple area of effect overlay for the graphics to match other purple Sorc effects. And, finally, the area of effect is longer but the push-back is pretty puny; probably ok for balance reasons but a farther knockback would be better.

There is no question that the "oh crap" and "panic button" defensive utility of Overload/Force Wave has been reduced but in its place we now have an almost instant-cast ability that has a predictable, aimed effect.

Agree, though I would call it an instant cast ability, not "almost instant." In cases where you get leaped to or attacked by an op, just use force slow/sprint/electrocute to put distance between you and the enemy before you use overload. The utility of overload is still quite viable when you coordinate it with your other abilities.

Is is just me or did they destroy this spell?

They ruined it for shure. As a Tank spec'd Assassin I depended on the original version of that skill when going solo and I would get swarmed. Now all it does is hit those enemies in front of me? That makes the skill practically useless for me unless I am near a ledge otherwise I cant use it. So all because hardcore PVPer's took their whining about it to BioWare/EA the rest of us get screwed. Yes it has more power and greater range but the arc limitation makes the skill practically useless to a Primarily PVE player like myself. They did the samething to the Force Wave skill Concular's have which does the samething as Overload.

Agree, though I would call it an instant cast ability, not "almost instant." In cases where you get leaped to or attacked by an op, just use force slow/sprint/electrocute to put distance between you and the enemy before you use overload. The utility of overload is still quite viable when you coordinate it with your other abilities.

Not true Overload before update 1.4 was fine there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. It was meant to be used by Inquisitors in cases where you get swarmed by multiple enemies from not only in front but also FROM BEHIND! which helped primarily PVE players like me in many ways. And for Tank spec'd Assassins like me who need to be up close with their opponents your suggestion wont work at all. Only Sorcerers benefit from the tactic you suggest.

Not true Overload before update 1.4 was fine there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. It was meant to be used by Inquisitors in cases where you get swarmed by multiple enemies from not only in front but also FROM BEHIND! which helped primarily PVE players like me in many ways. And for Tank spec'd Assassins like me who need to be up close with their opponents your suggestion wont work at all. Only Sorcerers benefit from the tactic you suggest.

True, my post was directed main at sorcerers. However, as an assassin you say you want to be up close with your opponents, so what's the point of knocking back at all. It would seem like the new overload would be better for you because you can choose which enemies to knock back and which ones to keep close to attack.

Positioning yourself and mobs in pve is very easy. Start walking one way and the mobs will follow you, all while staying in front of you. You can also hit more of the ranged mobs that don't move as much with the new 15m range, or you can simply train the melee mobs close to the ranged ones and overload the whole group.

Quite frankly, the new overload and the reduced range on electrocute have done nothing to hurt the pve side of things for us. Overload still gives us more room/ stuns weak mobs and electrocute is still good for stunning stronger mobs. For pvp, I actually think the new overload is better, and the reduced stun range is very manageable considering the buffs we got and the range reduction on most other classes' stuns.

There is no question that the "oh crap" and "panic button" defensive utility of Overload/Force Wave has been reduced but in its place we now have an almost instant-cast ability that has a predictable, aimed effect. The old Overload/Force Wave was not as predictable in terms of which direction the bad guys went flying. The new ability generally does knockback opponents in the direction it is aimed. This allows for aimed positioning -- into the acid pit, knockback behind a pillar or LOS, etc. Lag at times messes this up but generally it is a better offensive ability because it knockback in a general direction more predictably (and because of the the instant cast change too).

The downside of the Overload/Force Wave Changes? I don't think the area of effect matches the animation graphical overlay which leads to unpredictable results, especially for up-close opponents. The Sorc Overload animation looks pretty cheesy; my recommendation is to replace it with the Force Wave animation but with a purple area of effect overlay for the graphics to match other purple Sorc effects. And, finally, the area of effect is longer but the push-back is pretty puny; probably ok for balance reasons but a farther knockback would be better.

Well i think this is the issue "leads to unpredictable results, especially for up-close opponents" In the ball game i use it wen im near a fire and the enmy is kiking me with 2 sabers, i use it in rigth direction to fire or to open air he stays in teh same place...with the old spell he would fall back to air and down.

Rui M.

This ability is certainly bugged because in a huttball game the ball carrier was pushed backwards over the goal line even though I aimed the other way. It looked pretty funny because he gained a lot of height and flew over my head. And it can't be lag and facing the wrong direction because I never faced the other way since I came from the spawn.

This ability is certainly bugged because in a huttball game the ball carrier was pushed backwards over the goal line even though I aimed the other way. It looked pretty funny because he gained a lot of height and flew over my head. And it can't be lag and facing the wrong direction because I never faced the other way since I came from the spawn.

Could it have been another ability that pushed him that way?

Could it have been another ability that pushed him that way?

No I was alone since my 7 teammates were having a death match on the other side of the map. The ball carrier was the first to cross the fire and coming down the ramp. I was stealthed with blackout so no one could have predicted I was there. I doubt they could have done anything causing this because there was no sage close by that could do a rescue. Either way it looked really funny when he gained height and flew over my head towards the goal line.