why is pvp not getting better, ever

filipesantana

Community

Hands down the worst pvp community ever seen in the online gaming history.

Cant really complain since we are talking about a game catered to sw fans, pve based etc...so from the start we could guess that the pvp wouldn't be outstanding compared to what is out there(talking about competitive pvp)

BUT, the community is proving to be one of the biggest "walls" to not let pvp in the game get better.

If you compare what you find on this forums to other online (serious) gaming pvp forums you will see how these swtor pvp forums are a joke.

Everything that is asked,argued, discussed, explained and DEFENDED goes against competitive online pvp basics.And the thing is, its a majority we are talking about here, and that will drag the pvp quality down, not contribute to the devs or the game development and in the end, ultimately, will kill pvp and have somewhat an effect in the game itself(even though the pvp community is a minority in this kind of mmo)

If you go through some pages on this threads you can find things like:

"pls make it easier to get gear" kind of welfare begs..

"dont make it cross servers because that will RUIN the community"..(lol)

"Teaming up is wrong and shouldn't be allowed"

"keyboard turning and clicking are NOT BAD"

"pls dont put rated pvp ingame"(before rated wzs got here)

"pls dont put arenas ingame" (i assure you they will get here to..)

"pls dont put rating requirements on gear"

"PLS keep up this system where "time" is rewarded and not "skill"

"Swtor pvp has a lot pf depth, specs are ahrd to play, classes are hard to master" (lmao)

etc

etc

etc

Everything aimed at an exaggerated non competitive casual pvp sistem.If we as a community dont ask for it to be competitive, ti wont ever be, and soon it will become boring and stall...Casual gamers can co-exist with competitive ones btu there has to be a difference, and perks for both sides.

You CAN be CASUAL AND COMPETITIVE...take wow for exmaple..you can get top pvp titles playing 10 arenas per week...thjats like..2 hours TOPS of game play per week..it cant get more casual then that mmo wise..Still it remains competitive..rewarding titles and gear upon accomplishments..(no this is not a swtor vs wow thread..dont turn it into it, it was jsut an example)

If we keep going liek this this community wont ever evolve..the gameplay will keep going down..epopel will go from playing bad or below average to even worse...etc..

(sorry for my english)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the general point of this thread. Catering to the casual, non-competitive player base by giving them an easy mode would be a bad thing for the games longevity. We've seen them do this already and I really hope the trend doesn't continue. Edited by UGLYMRJ

Agree with the general point of this thread. Catering to the casual, non-competitive player base by giving them an easy mode would be a bad thing for the games longevity. We've seen them do this already and I really hope the trend doesn't continue.

So basically remove normal warzones and only allow ranked warzones? Then all the pro-PvP:ers get their high level competition PvP and all is fine? Unless all those pro-PvP:ers that left with 1.2 come back you aren't going to whip the remaining casuals to become world contenders in PvP. Just like in real life only a small percent can become world contenders.

So basically remove normal warzones and only allow ranked warzones? Then all the pro-PvP:ers get their high level competition PvP and all is fine? Unless all those pro-PvP:ers that left with 1.2 come back you aren't going to whip the remaining casuals to become world contenders in PvP. Just like in real life only a small percent can become world contenders.

You should try to twist what I said more...

I'm pretty sure you could fabricate more assumptions from my comment.

you are missing the point, nothign of what i said or UGLYMRJ said is related with removing normal wzs..

Normal WZS can be there, the problem is with poeple wanting IT to be all about NORMAL...about gettign welfare gear..about no effort ...no skill mesure..no anything.And on top of that arguing about the wrong stuff and overall not contribuiting for anything..pvp..or game wise, ruining any sort of Competitiveness that should be naturally tied with pvp.

People REFUSE to improve, get better, get competitive and anythign that threatns free welfare or no effort is BAD..

You should try to twist what I said more...

I'm pretty sure you could fabricate more assumptions from my comment.

It sounded like QQ about casuals and them being the the evil persons in this game. Much of the QQ from casuals stem from them being forced to meet the elite that completely rolls them. Some complains about premades and some about gear to find a reason for their apparent suckage. We would see less QQ if the bads only met bads and the good people only met the good people. Until x-server and matchmaking everyone are just going to have to enjoy the QQ from exactly everyone.

It sounded like QQ about casuals and them being the the evil persons in this game. Much of the QQ from casuals stem from them being forced to meet the elite that completely rolls them. Some complains about premades and some about gear to find a reason for their apparent suckage. We would see less QQ if the bads only met bads and the good people only met the good people. Until x-server and matchmaking everyone are just going to have to enjoy the QQ from exactly everyone.

well if on top of the matchmaking and the x server queue you add Rating requirmeents on gear and season tittles upon rating ranks then pvp would actualy start to get competitive again...bads will always cry no matter what

(sorry for my english)

Don't those two contradict? I always chuckle at the thought of "Hardcore" PvPers claiming that PvP should be about your skill, then ask for Vertical Gear Progression to remain in place. They point is that they just want to faceroll people with their stat advantages to justify their epeen.

If English isn't your native language, it is much better than that of most on this forum; and they don't apologize for their grammar.

Agree with the general point of this thread. Catering to the casual, non-competitive player base by giving them an easy mode would be a bad thing for the games longevity. We've seen them do this already and I really hope the trend doesn't continue.

this. its a bad trend that needs to be reversed asap

well if on top of the matchmaking and the x server queue you add Rating requirmeents on gear and season tittles upon rating ranks then pvp would actualy start to get competitive again...bads will always cry no matter what

Yeah that's true but I doubt PvP can be saved with the above unless we get a huge population boom. And yes bads will QQ as will just about everyone else too. And I suspect that many "good" players are going to complain that they have to face competent opposition lol.

There are more casuals than "pros" in this game simply because it is Star Wars. Don't believe me? Get ranked going where the "Pros" should be. You can't, it doesn't work, because you can't field 2 8 man teams. There are only 1 or 2 teams on each server at the pinnacle of competition, the rest are just above average. The above average don't like to get rolled in ranked, so they roll casuals in normals.

It's not just a casuals suck, they are lazy problem. The above average teams are lazier than the casuals IMO. They are the ones who don't want to struggle to get better.

Quit blaming casuals/"pros" for all of PvP whoa's as there are many factors contributing.

This is what the Op is getting at.....you are the problem

People who think they need to be rewarded for being bad instead of improving

BEFORE it was

how do i get better...

NOW its

how do I lower the competition to my level so I can feel good about me

Community

Hands down the worst pvp community ever seen in the online gaming history.

Cant really complain since we are talking about a game catered to sw fans, pve based etc...so from the start we could guess that the pvp wouldn't be outstanding compared to what is out there(talking about competitive pvp)

BUT, the community is proving to be one of the biggest "walls" to not let pvp in the game get better.

If you compare what you find on this forums to other online (serious) gaming pvp forums you will see how these swtor pvp forums are a joke.

Everything that is asked,argued, discussed, explained and DEFENDED goes against competitive online pvp basics.And the thing is, its a majority we are talking about here, and that will drag the pvp quality down, not contribute to the devs or the game development and in the end, ultimately, will kill pvp and have somewhat an effect in the game itself(even though the pvp community is a minority in this kind of mmo)

If you go through some pages on this threads you can find things like:

"pls dont put rated pvp ingame"(before rated wzs got here)

"Swtor pvp has a lot pf depth, specs are ahrd to play, classes are hard to master" (lmao)

etc

etc

etc

Everything aimed at an exaggerated non competitive casual pvp sistem.If we as a community dont ask for it to be competitive, ti wont ever be, and soon it will become boring and stall...Casual gamers can co-exist with competitive ones btu there has to be a difference, and perks for both sides.

You CAN be CASUAL AND COMPETITIVE...take wow for exmaple..you can get top pvp titles playing 10 arenas per week...thjats like..2 hours TOPS of game play per week..it cant get more casual then that mmo wise..Still it remains competitive..rewarding titles and gear upon accomplishments..(no this is not a swtor vs wow thread..dont turn it into it, it was jsut an example)

If we keep going liek this this community wont ever evolve..the gameplay will keep going down..epopel will go from playing bad or below average to even worse...etc..

(sorry for my english)

I agree with the general sentiment of your post that many people want ridiculous things on the forums but please be aware that the forums are by no means a proper indicator of what the entire swtor pvp community wants. It's only a minority, so I wouldn't categorize the entry community as bad. And I think your list is exaggerated somewhat:

"pls make it easier to get gear" kind of welfare begs."

Seen some of these but I think the gear situation is improving and after 1.6, skill will become a much more dominant factor. That said I would not object to a purely skilled based PvP environment, where everyone has access to the same type of gear.

I've not seen a thread like this yet. In all the threads I reviewed, people are begging for x-server queueing to reinvigorate ranked warzones and create a larger pool of players.

I've not seen a single thread like this, again. Even in the infamous "give us solo queue" thread that all premaders seem to abhore, we're only asking for a solo vs solo option. No one, ever, wanted to take the group vs group option away.

If there's a thread about this, it must be trolling. I wouldn't lend any credence to it.

"pls dont put rated pvp ingame"(before rated wzs got here)"

I wasn't reading the forums back then every day, so I don't know if such a thread existed.

Strangely enough, 99% of the people I talked to would like this feature implemented. Even more so if small-scale arenas (like 4v4) could facilitate pug vs pug and group vs group deathmatches.

If the gear has mods, then I agree with this one. I would not restrict gear by rating that affects combat performance.

If it's a shiny cosmetic upgrade, pet or mount, put all the rating on it they want. At least that way all the elitists would have a way to show their epeen off.

This sounds dangerously close to that thread like 2 weeks ago that was pushing for P2W gear so that the people with less time could level the playing field with money. To be honest, getting War Hero after 1.6 will take so little time and the difference between WH and EWH is so small that skill will hopefully be the determining factor.

Depends on whether you're playing a pure dps spec, or a tanking/dps hybrid etc. Some specs are super-easy yet uber-powerful to play (like the 4skill Pyro PT/Assault VG) or the lolsmasher/lolsweeper SW/JG spec. There are some specs, however, that are significantly more difficult to master (hybrid tankasins, arsenal mercs, lethality operatives) and play properly. There is some merit to this, depending on which spec you're examining.

All in all, I wouldn't give up on the SWTOR community just yet. Who knows, we might surprise ourselves.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

There are more casuals than "pros" in this game simply because it is Star Wars. Don't believe me? Get ranked going where the "Pros" should be. You can't, it doesn't work, because you can't field 2 8 man teams. There are only 1 or 2 teams on each server at the pinnacle of competition, the rest are just above average. The above average don't like to get rolled in ranked, so they roll casuals in normals.

It's not just a casuals suck, they are lazy problem. The above average teams are lazier than the casuals IMO. They are the ones who don't want to struggle to get better.

Quit blaming casuals/"pros" for all of PvP whoa's as there are many factors contributing.

There definitely are too many factors involved but for the most part... the casual player base will not be playing this game for the long haul. Which is why I see catering to that player base a problem. Problem for me anyways... :D

I think we have a different definition of what "casual" means tho.

For the most part... an MMO needs to establish a player base adn then that player base comes and goes, and comes back again. Rinse, lather, repeat. The casuals are much less likely to keep coming back... something else catches their eye and they're gone. People who take more time to become competitive and skilled within a game..."pro's" will ride it until the wheels fall off. We're invested... where a casual player is much less invested and is more likely to jump into a new game and never look back.

This is mainly why I don't want to see the game get dumbed down any further than it already has. I would prefer to see a small player base with a competitive over all feel... than a casual player base that is jumping in and out of this game monthly.

Of course I'm hoping for it to cater to me... I'd like to stick with this game. First MMO I've enjoyed since Warhammer.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

My biggest concern is how the entry into level 50 PvP is portrayed. It's like it is a big nightmare (portrayed, not reality) and from what I see going from sub-50 PvP speed of getting in a WZ, to level 50 PvP speed of getting in a WZ, I can't help but think the exaggeration turn people off from PvP. I don't care if they are casuals or not; I still wouldl like those people there playing. Edited by Technohic

i agree with the general sentiment of your post that many people want ridiculous things on the forums but please be aware that the forums are by no means a proper indicator of what the entire swtor pvp community wants. It's only a minority, so i wouldn't categorize the entry community as bad. And i think your list is exaggerated somewhat:

"pls make it easier to get gear" kind of welfare begs."

seen some of these but i think the gear situation is improving and after 1.6, skill will become a much more dominant factor. That said i would not object to a purely skilled based pvp environment, where everyone has access to the same type of gear.

"dont make it cross servers because that will ruin the community"..(lol)

i've not seen a thread like this yet. In all the threads i reviewed, people are begging for x-server queueing to reinvigorate ranked warzones and create a larger pool of players.

"teaming up is wrong and shouldn't be allowed"

i've not seen a single thread like this, again. Even in the infamous "give us solo queue" thread that all premaders seem to abhore, we're only asking for a solo vs solo option. No one, ever, wanted to take the group vs group option away.

"keyboard turning and clicking are not bad"

if there's a thread about this, it must be trolling. I wouldn't lend any credence to it.

"pls dont put rated pvp ingame"(before rated wzs got here)"

i wasn't reading the forums back then every day, so i don't know if such a thread existed.

strangely enough, 99% of the people i talked to would like this feature implemented. Even more so if small-scale arenas (like 4v4) could facilitate pug vs pug and group vs group deathmatches.

if the gear has mods, then i agree with this one. I would not restrict gear by rating that affects combat performance.

If it's a shiny cosmetic upgrade, pet or mount, put all the rating on it they want. At least that way all the elitists would have a way to show their epeen off.

"pls keep up this system where "time" is rewarded and not "skill"

this sounds dangerously close to that thread like 2 weeks ago that was pushing for p2w gear so that the people with less time could level the playing field with money. To be honest, getting war hero after 1.6 will take so little time and the difference between wh and ewh is so small that skill will hopefully be the determining factor.

"swtor pvp has a lot pf depth, specs are ahrd to play, classes are hard to master" (lmao)

depends on whether you're playing a pure dps spec, or a tanking/dps hybrid etc. Some specs are super-easy yet uber-powerful to play (like the 4skill pyro pt/assault vg) or the lolsmasher/lolsweeper sw/jg spec. There are some specs, however, that are significantly more difficult to master (hybrid tankasins, arsenal mercs, lethality operatives) and play properly. There is some merit to this, depending on which spec you're examining.

All in all, i wouldn't give up on the swtor community just yet. Who knows, we might surprise ourselves.

solo q will effect group q

cause and effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My biggest concern is how the entry into level 50 PvP is portrayed. It's like it is a big nightmare and from what I see going from sub-50 PvP speed of getting in a WZ, to level 50 PvP speed of getting in a WZ, I can't help but think the exaggeration turn people off from PvP. I don't care if they are casuals or not; I still wouldl like those people there playing.

LOL... they could definitely smooth it out a bit for a fresh 50. It's not bad for most of us who have been here a while but the F2P thing IS for the hopes of new subscribers. When these guys are getting about an hour a week of PvP in and then hit 50 and jump in under geared AND with little experience...

Well, I hardly see it being an enjoyable introduction to end game PvP for them.

This is what the Op is getting at.....you are the problem

People who think they need to be rewarded for being bad instead of improving

BEFORE it was

how do i get better...

NOW its

how do I lower the competition to my level so I can feel good about me

You do realize this is a game people are paying for? A game where a majority of the remaining player base are "lazy" casuals? Do you think that newbie in lvl 50 PvP is going to continue queuing when he gets completely rolled in the warzones by people that's actually pretty good over and over again? Do you think the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki asked themselves how they could better themselves and beat their opposition after being completely rolled by a clearly godlike opponent?

LOL... they could definitely smooth it out a bit for a fresh 50. It's not bad for most of us who have been here a while but the F2P thing IS for the hopes of new subscribers. When these guys are getting about an hour a week of PvP in and then hit 50 and jump in under geared AND with little experience...

Well, I hardly see it being an enjoyable introduction to end game PvP for them.

Well, it is true that I got to start with 4 pieces of BM and that might not happen for a free 2 play fresh 50 if they are not paying for the pass and banking comms, but it has been portrayed so poorly long before them showing up.

There definitely are too many factors involved but for the most part... the casual player base will not be playing this game for the long haul. Which is why I see catering to that player base a problem. Problem for me anyways... :D

I think we have a different definition of what "casual" means tho.

For the most part... an MMO needs to establish a player base adn then that player base comes and goes, and comes back again. Rinse, lather, repeat. The casuals are much less likely to keep coming back... something else catches their eye and they're gone. People who take more time to become competitive and skilled within a game..."pro's" will ride it until the wheels fall off. We're invested... where a casual player is much less invested and is more likely to jump into a new game and never look back.

This is mainly why I don't want to see the game get dumbed down any further than it already has. I would prefer to see a small player base with a competitive over all feel... than a casual player base that is jumping in and out of this game monthly.

Of course I'm hoping for it to cater to me... I'd like to stick with this game. First MMO I've enjoyed since Warhammer.

LOL....well atleast you admit it :) But I think people who are bent on labels and dividing a relatively small player base, aren't being realistic. We have seen the failures of BW and the failures of this community for almost a year at the cost of subs and having to go F2P. There has to be some middle ground between all parties envolved for success and longevity.

You do realize this is a game people are paying for? A game where a majority of the remaining player base are "lazy" casuals? Do you think that newbie in lvl 50 PvP is going to continue queuing when he gets completely rolled in the warzones by people that's actually pretty good over and over again? Do you think the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki asked themselves how they could better themselves and beat their opposition after being completely rolled by a clearly godlike opponent?

Did the country with people who got killed at pearl harbor deside they should walk away...or did they take up arms and fight????

Thats a winner vs a loser for you....

Edited by TheBigBee