Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

Felnadir

CC system in this game allow unskill player to play PvP and be OP. WarHammer have a better CC system then star war cus if you are stun are still can be CC by other type but not Stun for another 15sec. im a BM Marauder and in my server most BM Marauder get chain stun till dead. i myself get a full resolve bar all the time yet still i cant go anywhere or do anything. half the time in Hutt Ball i just get CC on the side and left alone with other are playing Hutt Ball. remember there are class out there that dont realy have a CC like a Marauder. and if you say our IR is a CC then you sir are dum cus a BH comes along and will F it up for you. if not every Class get a CC then Resolve bar should be full every time a CC is use. this way it will teach ppl how and when to use a CC.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not really important if resolve works or not (it usually works properly)

its not really important if its good or bad design (imho it is a bad design)

how often do you really get chain cc'd ? and out of those times you get chain cc'd how may of them are important ?

thats right,its not very often

resolve is like the 100th thing on the list of pvp problems

before resolve we have to fix class balance,wz's favouring x class over y,the rng gearing up and many more

it don't happen often, and not that many.......... if you are no body. Even you don't want to wear your BM title. you still can't change the color of your saber. and it don't take anything more then a Tart to know that you killing everyone if you are any good at your class. Chain CC is happening and its happening right now so this system is not a 100th problems with PvP its more like the top 5!

Haven´t gone through all 38 pages, but you might want to point out that "immobilize" (100% snare"), aka "root" does not get affected by resolve.

You can root someone even if his resolve is full, especially usefull on ball carriers over firepts ;)

although i loved ya post,this system is hopelessly broken atm,ive been repeat stunned while full resolve,ive had players with no resolve bar avoid repeated stuns,ive been damaged while stunned and it never broke till i was dead.........broken...maybe...hacked more likely.

after a short google ....several ways to expliot,hack,cheat this system are in play atm,i encourage anyone who loves pvp to investigate.bio knows whats goin on,theyve done almost nothing about it.

i dont expect this post to last long as they dont like truth in the open....they tend to delete decenting opinions,seems it the only fast action they KNOW how to get done.

im done pvp in this game,subs cancelled...least till they remove head from rump

CC in this game is completely out of control. The Resolve system is completely broken. No one has fun spending their entire PVP time stun-locked until death. That is all.

Ulf

Edited by Ulfjon

Those of you who think resolve is broken, read the guide again attentively. The system works perfectly fine, I have never had a problem with it and I suppose that what happens to you is either a bug, in which case it should be reported to CS, or your inability to understand a simple mechanics.

Resolve, Crowd Control (CC) and You

Players first coming to SWTOR often complain that the “resolve” system doesn't work. In my opinion, it represents a unique solution to the problem of chain CC. For those who understand how it works, like my readers at the end of this guide, resolve offers a system in which good players will make good choices and thereby reap the benefits that lesser knowledgeable players will complain don't work.

First, what is crowd control (CC)?

Crowd control, or CC as it's abbreviated, was originally intended in MMO's as an ability used by certain low dps classes to make them worthwhile in a group. The abilities range from a short term stun that allows continued damage of the target, to a long term sleep used out of combat to make a mob no longer take actions until it receives damage. PvPers immediately saw the value in these abilities and adopted them for their own uses often to the scorn of those pvpers that didn't have them.

In SWTOR we have three types of CC:

Snares: an ability that slows the target by a percent up to 100%

Mezz: an ability which causes a target to no longer have the ability to take action for a period of time or until damage is taken (whichever comes first). Sometimes these abilities can only be used against certain types of targets (droid) or when a target is out of combat.

Stun: an ability of a short term duration that prevents a target from taking action regardless of the amount of damage taken

In PvP the three above categories have specific uses to consider. First, one will usually always keep one's target snared so that one can keep on top of them as a melee, or away from them as a ranged. Even in a ranged versus ranged fight, putting a snare on the enemy will help to unbalance his gameplay a bit and reduce the chance he can successfully use LOS (line of sight) to avoid one. Second, Mezz can be useful in a small engagement where AoE will unlikely occur. For example, in Voidstar the disarm bomb ability is much shorter in length than the time a Whirlwind will take a player out of action. Lastly, stuns work best either in a chain with another player to maximize the amount of time an enemy has to endure damage OR when the other player is in a hazardous situation (environmental damage area). Additionally, stuns can be used a cast interrupt against healers OR as an actual stun to kill a player that doesn't know what he's doing or perhaps burned his CC Breaker earlier.

Secondly, what is a CC Breaker?

In SWTOR, every character has a stun ability and a CC breaker. The CC breaker is an ability that BREAKS CC. Different classes have different names for this ability. Not all classes have the same cooldown between uses of this ability. Not much more to say about that other than learn when to use it. Although all characters get a CC breaker, not everyone knows when to use it properly (to be elaborated on).

Thirdly, what is Resolve?

Resolve is SWTOR's method of preventing chain CC. Generally, for those leveling up through the pvp bracket, Resolve seems to do nothing. I myself have played part to numerous occassions in which I've been stunned, broken the stun with my CC breaker, only to get immediately stunned again. While quite frustrating, I eventually came to realize I was not using my CC break at the right moment.

Resolve is a bar that fills up next to one's avatar and the avatar of one's enemy. When the bar fills up, the person gains immunity to further CC. The length of this immunity is almost long enough to run a huttball from the beginning of the ramps to the goal with a bit of luck. The problem is, most players find that the bar doesn't fill up until they're just about dead. Even when the bar does fill up, the immunity doesn't matter until the cc that filled one's bar wears off. This is where an experienced player knows why resolve is kinda cool.

Finally, how do I take advantage of this system?

An experienced player uses his damage mitigation abilities in preperation of an incoming CC. Then, while stunned and taking a beating, he doesn't take as much damage as the enemy is hoping to inflict. Thus the CC wears off and the player resumes his PvP having SAVED his CC breaker. Now, when the player gets CC'd again, he immediately uses his CC breaker (because two stuns will fill the bar) and gains immunity to all further CC for a good length of time. Getting this to work in Huttball while carrying the ball works wonders since most players have no idea their CC won't work when the target has a white bar of resolve.

Its very important to remember that CC does not work on a player who has a white bar of resolve. Its also important to realize that using CC on someone will give them immunity to further uses once the bar fills up HOWEVER, resolve does not affect snares. So when the resolve bar fills up, one can still snare the player even to the point of zero movement. Furthermore, snaring a player does not increase his resolve bar. So use snares as often as needed without any worry. For those warriors with the ability to cause a 100% snare, remember that it will ALWAYS cause this effect. There is no immunity against it.

Another simple strategy to use regarding CC is to test a player's knowledge. Instead of opening up with one's awesome 6 second stun, try using a garbage mezz on the player. If one has an addition stun like many melee classes do, try using that first. A less sophisticated player will automatically use their CC breaker, thus allowing one to immediately follow up with the long 6 second stun whenever it tactically suits one. I use this strategy all the time.

In reverse, its important to know what stuns to break and which to eat. Anytime someone stuns one's character in a manner that throws one on the ground, beware using the CC break. A stun that floors a player will only last between 2 and 3 seconds. Stealthers will often mezz a player before starting a fight, just to see if the player will try to break it. If the situation will allow it, save one's CC break. Additionally, don't use a CC break on a snare unless absolutely necessary since snares usually have VERY short cooldowns and can rapidly reapply.

Examples of CC not to break include, snares that result from getting pushed. Snipers and some Sorcerors have a 100% snare they do when they AoE push people away. Unless one is taking damage or really want to kill the pusher, consider eating this one. If one's character gets slept, don't break it. As mentioned twice above, abilities that cause a lose of control belonging to the "Mezz" class of CC breaks if one takes damage. So when tactically unnecessary for one to take action, just ride it out. There is only one objective in game that can be capped in the 8 seconds and that's the disarm bomb in voidstar.

So in retrospect, resolve may seem like a broken system, but actually has some interesting layers of complexity to it. Those players who know these tricks, will see that resolve not only does work, but can be gamed to work for one.

thats because it dont work properly

even with totaly empty resolve bars people are immune to CC abilitys and with a full resolve bar people are being stun locked.

this is due to the resolve bar itself not working as intended or some of the CC abilitys not properly adding resolve to the resolve bar or not on the resolve bars list entirly.

the resolve bar does not work a good 30% to 40% of the time of the time.

thats because it dont work properly

even with totaly empty resolve bars people are immune to CC abilitys and with a full resolve bar people are being stun locked.

this is due to the resolve bar itself not working as intended or some of the CC abilitys not properly adding resolve to the resolve bar or not on the resolve bars list entirly.

the resolve bar does not work a good 30% to 40% of the time of the time.

If it does not work 30-40% of the time (which I find simply impossible, but you probably know better), it must not be that hard to make a video several seconds long that'll reflect the broken resolve, right? So, why don't you show such a video to us by posting it in the relevant topic? Here you go: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=381190

Please, provide us with some proof.

Neto, but almost all of your analogies are based on crystal ball type senarios. If you can predict that ONE person is going to do something then resolve starts, starts I say to make sense fundamentaly.

Im not sure how things go for you in PvP. But Im a healer and as such I am nearly always fighting off 2 to 3 players that basically cycle their cc's and stuns leaving me helpless. Which is why Resolve doesnt work, its to selective as to what it prevents.

Resolve works "great" in a perfect world but PvP is fast paced and dynamic with two and three people casting on a single target at once.

Resolve makes sense MAYBE in one v one senariots. But I challenge you to show me any design decisions in this game that promote one v one play. All the WZ's and Ilum are designed for massive PvP otherwise known as ZERGS. What other kinds of PvP options do we have in SWTOR besides ZERGS?

That my friend is why DR works so much better for mass PvP and resolve just works great on paper and in forum posts such as yours but provides little help in this game.

DR works against all types of cc and stuns so your QUICKLY rendered imune to both types no matter which was cast and back in action with a fighting chance. You and I both know that even after playing your resolve bar perfectly, so after 16 second of IMMOBILITY the third cc hits and you break out of it only to be instantly stunned and then knocked back Netiher of which shoud have worked after your resolve bar filled,

edit: Make resolve work against all forms of cc, stuns, slows and knockbacks. and you start START to have something that makes sense in this game. Your bar would fill up quicker and once full provide you immunity to start fighting back.

See you in the zerg........

Edited by alderdale

Those of you who think resolve is broken, read the guide again attentively. The system works perfectly fine, I have never had a problem with it and I suppose that what happens to you is either a bug, in which case it should be reported to CS, or your inability to understand a simple mechanics.

Um okay it works perfectly fine for CC but I think everyone else is talking about the other loss of control abililites that happen after your play your resolve bar that people toss at you, stuns and knock backs.

So its common to be stunned for 16 secs break out of the third cc only to be instantly stunned for another 4 seconds then knocked backed (another 4 seconds of down time) oh and now your resolve is just about used up so your back to being cc again, but your prety much dead at this point so I guess it really doesnt matter. Ya works great.

I imagine you never have a problem with it because you dont have 2 to 3 people attacknig you at once.

edit: Let me restate that, you have 2 or 3 people attacking you and never had the chance to get even one attack off. Its not about whether you could of killed one of them its that fact that you cant even fight back at all.

Edited by alderdale

I find it funny when people accuse me of hacking because they're ignorance of core concepts of the game, such as this.

I find it funny that people accept this as a "core concept" and think in anyway it balances out the WAY to much CC/snare/root/slow/knock back/knock down/pull/push and any other movement impairing ability this game has in it that does nothing but keep players from playing and has caused this player to unsub

And NO, you can't have my stuff :p

what is a shame is that it is not properly explained in game and people who do not browse forums are expected tro either figure out through trial and error (big no because its almost impossible to know where the resolve bar is without someone telling you or showing you.)

or

have someone call you a noob in game for not knowing how to use something that is never explained to you by an npc or tutorial... whereas that p[layer probably only kows because of browsing through the forum..

How about impolementing a Resolve Tutorial In Game for all new players to give them a better grasp of how this resolve thing works... alot of players on my server could really use this information

I find it funny that people accept this as a "core concept" and think in anyway it balances out the WAY to much CC/snare/root/slow/knock back/knock down/pull/push and any other movement impairing ability this game has in it that does nothing but keep players from playing and has caused this player to unsub

And NO, you can't have my stuff :p

it is not core .... the only time when resolve is even worth it really is huttball.. the other two can be won without any resolve usage what so ever.. so to quit a game over a somewhat broken resolve system is basically QQ and L2P

and guess what is even more core than resolve... passing the god damn balll....

a team that masters resolve versus a tea mthat masters psasing and its gonna be a pretty equal fight

Um okay it works perfectly fine for CC but I think everyone else is talking about the other loss of control abililites that happen after your play your resolve bar that people toss at you, stuns and knock backs.

So its common to be stunned for 16 secs break out of the third cc only to be instantly stunned for another 4 seconds then knocked backed (another 4 seconds of down time) oh and now your resolve is just about used up so your back to being cc again, but your prety much dead at this point so I guess it really doesnt matter. Ya works great.

I imagine you never have a problem with it because you dont have 2 to 3 people attacknig you at once.

edit: Let me restate that, you have 2 or 3 people attacking you and never had the chance to get even one attack off. Its not about whether you could of killed one of them its that fact that you cant even fight back at all.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. The thing is, the more people are attacking me at the same time, the more CCs they use. The more CCs they use, the faster they make my resolve full. It actually takes them to throw 2-3 stuns at me to fill the bar, at which point I use my CC-break, pop up defensive CDs, use a WZ stimpack and do whatever I will for the next 15-20 secs. After that I might die, yes. Or they might die. And when we meet again, my CC-breaker is off CD again. I used this tactics a lot of times to score in Huttball, it never failed me.

And really, what's the deal with that being dead instantly? I play as one of the squishiest classes (scoundrel), and yet fully BM-geared I survive long enough to LoS successfully or to shake the attackers off when need be. Bioware put so much effort into making PvP "longer" in SWTOR that it's not even a problem anymore to survive unless focused by most of the enemies' team.

it is not core .... the only time when resolve is even worth it really is huttball.. the other two can be won without any resolve usage what so ever.. so to quit a game over a somewhat broken resolve system is basically QQ and L2P

and guess what is even more core than resolve... passing the gosh darn balll....

a team that masters resolve versus a tea mthat masters psasing and its gonna be a pretty equal fight

Yeah, I guess you're right. I should just pass the ball when I get stunned............no wait...

It is not just the resolve system....it's all the CC......why, why so much? Just cut it back some, as it is now when in combat you are movement impaired 100% of the time. And 100% impaired way to much of the time.....this is fun to you?

And really...QQ...L2P? isn't it time those are retired? they seem so jr high to me.

im done with this game because of cc. i have tried to give it a go ya know, i know how cc works, i know use your cc break when u have full resolve, etc. im a 65 rank valor jugg, so not the best, but i have done my share of wzs, and when i go thru 3 full resolve bars, yes 3, and not even moving half way up 1 side, thats bullcrap. that they can root and slow me that much, that when my resolve ticks down and i have stun imm, i still cant move? 3 freaking full resolve bars, and moving i didnt even make it to the start of their ramps, from ours going thru 3 full resolve cycles, freaking crap, sorry for the run on sentence, but u lost another customer due to this bull.

and to the whole pass thing, before u get on about that, same thing happens to that dude, im the only one on the team who can handle that much of a beating without dying.

Edited by kunahmatata

Part of the problem is that the resolve system isnt working as intended atm. With a full resolve bar, im only immune to knockbacks....im still taking full duration stuns.

Once its fixed i think CC QQ will subside.

I'm with this guy. I don't know how many times I've had a white resolve bar only to STILL get CC'd. The Resolve Bar doesn't work

Excellent info. I noticed the resolve bar just a few days ago and wondered what it was for. This is definately important to know and understand

There needs to be a better explanation in game. I regularly get people in the 50 bracket who have no idea how it works at all, sometimes even Battlemasters who have only the vaguest idea what it does.

I read the thing - and this was my understanding as well, but sometimes resolve doesn't work either way. I've been stunned while my resolve bar was going down. I've been stunned by 5 stuns and resolve will not go off. Other times it works perfectly - no problems, awesome system. But it does bug quite frequently. I've used the stun breaker at the right time with resolve and have been stunned again. Not snared, not rooted, but stunned. As an example, just this week I was hit by the knockdown ability of an operative, hit by a force push immediately after, 2sec leap stun from a warrior, got the warrior stun in my face, force choked, then hit by an inquisitors stun, followed by being frozen by a bh. I was able to survive that long because of a really good medic - but my resolve bar went all the way up, and all the way down. I used the CC breaker when it hit all the way up. Not a bit of good. The breaker worked great - but the resolve did not. Other examples of things that have happened to me include several warriors (I think there was 4, but there could have been a 5th. We started with 3 people) surrounding me and literally just standing there while force choking me to death. I got force choked 4 times in a row. Resolve did nothing. When resolve works it's great - but it bugs a lot.