Eric, don't make vaccine reusable/persist through defeat

JidaiDerriphan

The reward for doing the event is the relics which are reusable, if you change the way the vaccines function you take away from the rewards "Newcomer" standing offers. If you could please pass on to the dev team that some players don't want a change that would be great!(as well as thank them for an awesome event!) . I understand some players will disagree I'm just trying to present the other side of the argument.

He's way ahead of you...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7137653#edit7137653

(...) It should be noted that that there are some folks who disagree with this sentiment, and that will be noted as well. Ultimately it is up to the development team to decide where to go with it. (...)
Edited by Darth_Wicked

The relics are permanent. If you let the vaccines persist through death, they still expire in 5 or 6 hours. The relics would still have more value.

If there's one thing that players who want to avoid the plague and event want, I'm sure it's to have to carry a stack of vaccines with them just in case they get defeated. That would be very fun for them, right?

You can easily get newcomer status by completing all of the dailies one time through. (maybe repeating a couple of the missions if you don't do the ops boss)

I get that not everyone wants to participate in events or do dailies. However, if you're only doing the missions once, they're hardly daily to you.

Also, the relics cost credits, not any kind of event tokens. They are actually some of the best relics to get while leveling, available at levels 25, 35, and 45. Extra endurance and extra presence is going to be a great boost for all my toons going forward. AND they're legacy bound! Buying 2 of each level means you can simply transfer them to whichever character you are leveling at that time at the proper level, and upgrade every 10 levels.

The lowest level relic is lvl 25. The lowest level that characters can start the event is 20. Characters can get the plague at any level I believe. (My lvl 13 got it last night, so I assume at least lvl 10 can catch it.) So for at least 10 levels characters are dependent on vaccines if they want any quality of life, which happens to be the levels that 2k a pop is very expensive. We want to encourage new players to stick around, not drive them off.

Perhaps it would be best if characters <20 were immune? That still leaves the problem of players who don't want to do the event, would have to actually do the event, to then not do the event. That is still problematical since we don't want players to quit over an event.

Then the next problem with relying on relics is that there is no lvl 55 relic. Who in their right mind is going to do warzones with a lvl 45 solo pve relic? (nor would they want to have to swap relics back and forth every time they die or get infected) It would be a massive loss in stats. And it is in the warzones where being infected with plague is a severe issue. We don't want people to stop queuing for warzones during the event or quitting out of them if they see teammates with plague. Perhaps plague should go on a temporary hold during warzones?

So which is better for the player base at large. Having low level characters immune and having warzones plague free or having the vaccine persist through death? I suspect having the vaccine persist through death would antagonize the fewest people, especially if they did public service announcements that the vaccine is available. I know it's shocking, but I've seen a lot of people on general chat that didn't know a vaccine existed, and that didn't know where to buy it. Either way, the relics are still nice for leveling alts and so the value is not diminished in that regard.

Ahem.

In any event...

Keep in mind that this is temporary. Meant to be fun. A change of pace. Take it for what it is - and stop trying to change it.

I personally don't care one way or the other. But you are right, it's supposed to be fun, but reading chat and reading the forums, far too many people are not finding it fun. They are finding it annoyingly disruptive and it's ruining their fun when it doesn't need to. A tweak or two could alleviate the hatred being spewed about the event. Since this is going to be a recurring event (hopefully frequently since it's going to take me a hell of a long time to get the pets and even longer to get the achievements), it is in the game's best interest to keep as many players as happy as possible.

Give players an event and someone will find a way to use it as a griefing tool. Period. End of story.

So you have one of a couple of choices:

1) Don't log in

2) quit

3) Put up with it

or my preferred method

4) Have fun with it and grief the griefers right back.