State of the Game #3

CourtneyWoods

Hello everyone. I don't normally post frequently on here, however I feel compelled to put in my two cents. I've been an active player and subscriber since beta and have experienced nearly everything the game has to offer. I myself favor running operations with my guildies, but I've also pvp'd (valor 75), and I have 5 level 50s.

Here are my biggest complaints:

1. The cartel market is flooding the game with worthless items and meaningless pets/mounts -- In other MMOs I prefered having to earn my rare pets/mounts/customizations because when people see it actually means something.

2. You're not developing enough on end-game content for those players who focus their time on PVP and running the operations. We are the loyal life-blood of your game! We don't want another stupid pet to throw in our trove of other meaningless pets. We want operations with lots of bosses and new challengses. We want new pvp maps with fresh ideas, and open world pvp that actually works! I'm tired of my own faction killing each other in illum until we're so bored that after 2 days of the gree event we start waiting in line to use the pylon node. We don't need 4 difficulties of operations, we need more operations. I'd be happy with 2 difficulties so long as the hard mode is a good challenge.

3. The cartel market IS NOT new content. Give me something big to kill in my fancy new outfit! Give me new quests and dailies that stay in the game. Give us reputation rewards that are actually worth earning such as rep faction specific relics or other useful gear only available to said faction.

4. Are we ever going to see the class and companion main storylines advance or is this just a pipe dream that EA/Bioware will never pay for?

5. EA/Bioware neds to take a closer look at rebalancing the classes. Seeing the powertechs and mauraders at the top the charts in operations for the past year is getting old. My main is a sniper and I've optimized his gear (full 63s), read most of the guides, and played every spec time and time again and my dps is usually rather average (and I am not a low dps sniper). Meanwhile a powertech in 61s can come in and out damage me with the simple use of 4 buttons (yes, I've played a powertech before).

6. My friends on the asia-pacific servers have been asking for a solution to their low-population problems for long enough. I've seen the thread on the forums, put them all on the same server and offer free transfers to other realms if they don't want to stay. Stop promising them a solution and give them one. We want this game to not only survive, but progress *shock*

7. Lag and bugs - some of which has been a problem since launch. I run a three year old machine and these days the fleet is massive lag haven. Other parts of the game and operations have lag or hiccups that are clearly server-side and often felt throughout our whole team. Certain classes such as the sorcs have abilities that seem to guarantee that your game will hiccup when you cast them.

Sometimes I miss the days back on Sith Wyrm (R.I.P.), we didn't have a full fleet every night but at least I could move in it. It almost feels as though they consolidated the US servers a little too much or they packed too many people per instance of the fleet.

8. I've taken a look at the upcoming skill additions in 2.0 and i have to say, I'm rather disappointed that some classes get new dps type skills such as built-in rocket launchers while others get non-damaging skills that only help with movement mechanics. Personally I think I speak for most of us when I say that generally we enjoy it when we have some new skill that factors into our rotation.

In closing I think what will keep myself, friends, and guildies playing this year will hinge on class changes, operations advancements, and a smooth running experience.

Sincerely,

Empirical - The Shadowlands

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol.. I love how people are like "you guys should just be happy with what they're giving us.." Garbage packaged in a gift wrapped box, scented with lavendars doesn't equate to s***. Lol, garbage is still garbage. Keep with this, and plenty of people will be unsubbing.. I came back in January thinking "more players = more fun." I'm already bored.. AGAIN.. with end game.. and there's only so many alts you can level before you find the same planets mundane.

But good job, BW. Looks like you've thought about your long-term goals..

I was a subscriber and then I stopped playing for awhile and came back as a preferred status player. I was shocked by the changes to the game and how little freedom I had as a non-subscriber. I really don't think things like toggling helmets on and off, matching armor colors, displaying titles (that you earned by investing time in the game), sharing gear and currency between alts, and medical probes should have to be purchased from the Cartel Market. I think these particular changes to the game are ridiculous. Most of these things come standard with any other MMO and I think SWTOR is going to antagonize a lot of people by denying these features to free-to-play players.

I can understand selling cosmetic items through the Cartel Market like special gear skins, vehicles, pets, race change, racial unlocks, etc.--a lot of other MMO's charge for similar items, but expecting people to pay real currency for features that come free with most other free-to-pay MMO's isn't good business. You may make a little extra money early on, but eventually people are going to navigate to other free-to-play games that don't put as many restrictions on game play.

Free-to-play needs to be revamped.:(

I would agree with you but here is the thing; you get the play the core game...FOR FREE. You can get a character from lvl 1-50 FOR FREE. You still get to do a couple fps and wzs a week and you get to lvl without paying for any money what so ever.

Hello everyone. I don't normally post frequently on here, however I feel compelled to put in my two cents. I've been an active player and subscriber since beta and have experienced nearly everything the game has to offer. I myself favor running operations with my guildies, but I've also pvp'd (valor 75), and I have 5 level 50s.

1. The cartel market is flooding the game with worthless items and meaningless pets/mounts -- In other MMOs I prefered having to earn my rare pets/mounts/customizations because when people see it actually means something.

2. You're not developing enough on end-game content for those players who focus their time on PVP and running the operations. We are the loyal life-blood of your game! We don't want another stupid pet to throw in our trove of other meaningless pets. We want operations with lots of bosses and new challengses. We want new pvp maps with fresh ideas, and open world pvp that actually works! I'm tired of my own faction killing each other in illum until we're so bored that after 2 days of the gree event we start waiting in line to use the pylon node. We don't need 4 difficulties of operations, we need more operations. I'd be happy with 2 difficulties so long as the hard mode is a good challenge.

3. The cartel market IS NOT new content. Give me something big to kill in my fancy new outfit! Give me new quests and dailies that stay in the game. Give us reputation rewards that are actually worth earning such as rep faction specific relics or other useful gear only available to said faction.

4. Are we ever going to see the class and companion main storylines advance or is this just a pipe dream that EA/Bioware will never pay for?

5. EA/Bioware neds to take a closer look at rebalancing the classes. Seeing the powertechs and mauraders at the top the charts in operations for the past year is getting old. My main is a sniper and I've optimized his gear (full 63s), read most of the guides, and played every spec time and time again and my dps is usually rather average (and I am not a low dps sniper). Meanwhile a powertech in 61s can come in and out damage me with the simple use of 4 buttons (yes, I've played a powertech before).

6. My friends on the asia-pacific servers have been asking for a solution to their low-population problems for long enough. I've seen the thread on the forums, put them all on the same server and offer free transfers to other realms if they don't want to stay. Stop promising them a solution and give them one. We want this game to not only survive, but progress *shock*

7. Lag and bugs - some of which has been a problem since launch. I run a three year old machine and these days the fleet is massive lag haven. Other parts of the game and operations have lag or hiccups that are clearly server-side and often felt throughout our whole team. Certain classes such as the sorcs have abilities that seem to guarantee that your game will hiccup when you cast them.

Sometimes I miss the days back on Sith Wyrm (R.I.P.), we didn't have a full fleet every night but at least I could move in it. It almost feels as though they consolidated the US servers a little too much or they packed too many people per instance of the fleet.

8. I've taken a look at the upcoming skill additions in 2.0 and i have to say, I'm rather disappointed that some classes get new dps type skills such as built-in rocket launchers while others get non-damaging skills that only help with movement mechanics. Personally I think I speak for most of us when I say that generally we enjoy it when we have some new skill that factors into our rotation.

In closing I think what will keep myself, friends, and guildies playing this year will hinge on class changes, operations advancements, and a smooth running experience.

Sincerely,

I agree with all your points (except the last one since my scrapper is getting a much needed boost); the cartel market provides so much crap the only thing I have bought from it recently are the major xp boosts for power lvling my gunslinger alt during the double xp weekend. You should not be focusing all your time to that trash heep give us more wz, events, pve content, and ffs some god damn mini games like pazaak or swoopbike racing on the fleet.

You guys want proof that the guy was lying through his teeth when he said all his feedback from players was positive? Read this thread!!! End of Story.

Either they don't read the forums, or they are on drugs. When in reality, more than half the players in SWTOR are upset at Bioware and want the things alot of us have been wanting since the game launched. Stuff like Armor Dye, Hood up or Down, PVP having gear based que's so it is more fair and balanced, etc. If Bioware was really reading feedback, those things would have been in the game LONG ago. Not giving us worthless Party Jawa's, Fireworks, and Cartel updates constantly.

I get sick of reading this "happy happy joy joy" pretty flowers and sunshine reports from the SWTOR staff. It's not true. These guys are NOT living in reality about the State of the Game. Not even close. Again, the proof is in this thread that they lie through their teeth.

Edited by DarthVengeant

(Specifically for anyone at BioWare who may read this) Does this mean Cathar will be in soon, why did you choose Cathar as the first post-launch playable species, and why has it taken this long? (Not being impatient, just curious. Was it really such a time consuming process, were they too busy with other stuff, or was there some other reason?) Aside from those questions, the future of the game is looking quite bright, and I look forward to whatever is to come. :jawa_smile:

Either they don't read the forums, or they are on drugs.

Everything will have its haters. Also, in response to the rest of your comment. I have been here since the beginning too, and while I agree that some of the features that have yet to be implemented would be cool, they are no more necessary or important than their regular Cartel Market updates.

Edited by gandan
Typo

Sincerely,

reply to #1

I agree fully with this, I will admit I like the new clothes, but I can't say I care at all about the pets/mounts and I also will say I like the pets that are harder to get because I can take pride in having them because they're either hard to get or were limited to an old event I completed.

reply to #2

yeah, events are fun but I haven't been doing the gree event at all this time around because of seeing Republic fighting Republic forces and not their "enemy." (as a trooper, I've gotten more help from sith then jedi in pvp areas) but that aside, what I want more than ops with the guild is more single player options such as more character/class only quests/story missions.

Reply to #3

yeah... I got nothing to add to that, you got everything I'd want to say. lol

Reply to #4

yeah, I want more class campaigns more than anything else, what I also what to see is more of my character fighting along side Republic/Imperial forces (depending on the character's military alignment). I played as a trooper and through out all 3 chapters I wanted to fight along side fellow soldiers and almost never did do any campaigns where I was one soldier in an army of infantry and tanks, it was always "go ahead of the army and be a One Man Army"

I'd also like it if I could bring in more than one companion along with me, because yeah, it works (kinda) for jedi since they go around with their Padawan. but as a Soldier I want to work with my team, not just "well you're the healer so I have to take you."

Reply to #5

can't say I pvp anymore so I don't really have any input here.

Reply to #6

all through I don't have friends on the asia servers, nor have I played on them I still agree with you that they need to address that problem. 'nuff said.

Reply to #7

I agree, I even got a new PC for this game and I hate the fleet cause of all the people, it's a nightmare trying to do anything so I'm very thankful that my ship has the upgrades I'd need to go to the fleet for.

I don't have anything to say to #8 since I haven't looked for any new skills, for my trooper, I'd like it if more skills fired lasers and not packs of C4, railgun shots, and all that nonsence. I want to see more laser fire. but hey, they may just be me.

also thank you for having this well thought out list, as much as I want more character customization and the ability to change how my characters look, I'd happily trade that for what you mentioned.

One QoL change I'm hoping they'll consider is a restructuring of ship boarding/take-off/landing. This wouldn't really affect gameplay but would reduce unnecessary loading screens AND make the player feel more in control of his shipboard experience.

Here's the suggestion:

1) SHIP STAYS IN HANGER UPON BOARDING

Ship interiors are already instanced. It becomes problematic to board your ship, deal with the take-off animation, then deal with "space" loading -- especially when some missions require you to use your holo-terminal and then immediately disembark back to the planet you just left, including dealing with landing animation and the arduous re-loading of the planet.

The hanger interior already exists, so this wouldn't require new art assets. It would make it MUCH simpler to deal with any on-board mission requirements (that don't require travel to another system) plus conversations with companions.

From an RP standpoint, the ship shouldn't automatically take-off on auto-pilot just because I walk in the door.

2) PLAYER MUST MANUALLY LAUNCH THE SHIP FROM THE COCKPIT

This way the ship will stay in dock/hanger until the player wants to leave.

The transition can be handled one of two ways - either the player activates take-off from the cockpit, the animation plays and orbital space loads (the way it does now) OR the player sets course from the cockpit, the take-off animation plays, orbital space loads up then immediately plays the hyperspace animation that transitions to the orbit around the destination planet.

Holo-terminal calls could either take place now or wait until the player has landed the ship in dock or planetary hanger.

3) PLAYER MANUALLY LANDS THE SHIP FROM THE COCKPIT

The landing animation would play as normal, followed by the usual planet loading. The difference is that the ship doesn't auto-land while the player stands idly at the door.

After loading, the player would still be in their cockpit with the hanger/dock viewable through the window. The player could then perform whatever shipboard functions he chooses before going to the door and disembarking.

Not only would this QoL change make more sense from an RP standpoint (which is part of the gameplay) but also avoid the inconvenience of unnecessary load times - especially in circumstances where the player has forgotten to use the holoterminal before leaving the ship and then has to deal with double load times when going back inside because of the auto take-off.

Bingo!

Also they need to get rid of the useless orbital stations, let us land on the planets at least some of the planets..this and the abysmal lack of Star wars music have always been major pet peeves of mine.

Everything will have its haters. Also, in response to the rest of your comment. I have been here since the beginning too, and while I agree that some of the features that have yet to be implemented would be cool, they are no more necessary or important than their regular Cartel Market updates.

No one is "hating" anything. People paid for a product, and it's not living up to expectations, over a year later. If you really think the people who post about the things that ruin this game or are missing from the game are in the minority, your not living in reality either. Every single person in my 250 man Guild feels most of the same things I do and have said here. Were all sick of Cartel updates instead of fixing the game, and how utterly UGLY 90% of the new gear is in it. We all want Armor Dye and Hood up or Down. No Orbital Stations. Shuttle to all worlds and dailies from fleet. Daily vendor on fleet. Most of the members of my Guild will not PVP after lvl 50 because of how unbalanced and utterly frustrating it is. 13k HP people fighting 20k HP people is just sadomasochistic, and frankly wrong. That's not fun, that's stupid. I could go on with other things.

Again, the State of the Game article was a sham. And plenty of people in my guild feel the same way. More proof that Bioware is out of touch with reality.

Edited by DarthVengeant

It would be awesome if u can make it where every race (that has hair =p) has access to every hair color. I would instantly drop in some CC for purple hair on my Guardian. I sure they had hair dye a long long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

I'm hoping that the Barber Shop (How about Image Design Studio?) won't be limited strictly to the cartel market. That would be quite a greedy move, and would probably gain you a new batch of people getting fed up with the way the game is going, or I should say, not going.

The Cartel Market itself is an abomination...systems like this rearing their ugly heads in a good few MMOs these days. Now, thankfully, no game-breaking equipment has been made exclusive to this (yet). And I pray it never does. It seems a lot of time and effort gets dumped into this money-pit of "playground toys" rather than content development. What are we at a new pack every 2 weeks now I think? Don't even get me started on the latest pack, with its own reputation system you have to buy the reputation for.

I don't think being able to change your species on an already rolled character is a good idea. Then there'd be no point in the species unlocks either through 50 or the Cartel Market, unless you tie needing them to the barber shop.

I must say aside from the barber shop situation, there really wasn't much informative to us in this State of the Game. How about actually telling us what the future plans are, beyond the launch of RoTHC? Or that you're working on addressing long outstanding issues, some of which have existed since beta (and reported since then to).

You're not giving us a reason to have much faith in you guys. I love this game, as I'm a big fan of Star Wars, but there needs to be more public interface and transparency in what your goals and projects are, as well as paying attention to the community feedback.

No one is "hating" anything. People paid for a product, and it's not living up to expectations, over a year later. If you really think the people who post about the things that ruin this game or are missing from the game are in the minority, your not living in reality either. Every single person in my 250 man Guild feels most of the same things I do and have said here. Were all sick of Cartel updates instead of fixing the game, and how utterly UGLY 90% of the new gear is in it. We all want Armor Dye and Hood up or Down. No Orbital Stations. Shuttle to all worlds and dailies from fleet. Daily vendor on fleet. Most of the members of my Guild will not PVP after lvl 50 because of how unbalanced and utterly frustrating it is. 13k HP people fighting 20k HP people is just sadomasochistic, and frankly wrong. That's not fun, that's stupid. I could go on with other things.

Again, the State of the Game article was a sham. And plenty of people in my guild feel the same way. More proof that Bioware is out of touch with reality.

I hear what you're saying and it's not just your guild.

And not nearly everyone visits the forums, if even 10 out of your guild come to the forums that is a LOT. I told people in the guild I'm in about that and they too do not agree. Just ask a general question on general in game, you'll get a lot of people responding exactly how we know they will, and disagreeing with the "state of the game".

I can make pretty much any claim in my guild and people will believe it, that is unless I am agreeing with things like this "state of the game" or say certain features will come even sooner.

- Cathar has been delayed way too often and is still being advertised like it can be expected... people do not believe it'll even come this year, and they shouldn't.

- Basic "barber shop" features should be made available for credits, at least for subscribers. Not talking species change here.

- "Barber shop" is going to come around the same time as Cathar, so not this year either. Better accept it now people.

- Other stuff they don't talk about, just don't expect it in the coming years.

Last time I commented on one of these I asked for a more balanced view to give it more credence, theres some acceptance of issues but only when they're well past and a solution is in place.

There are signs lessons have been learnt, the gree event didn't force people into PvP like the Rakghoul event did.

The thing that may make me unsub is the performance of the merged servers, my game regularly locks up into massive spikes, many others continue to get disconnections both randomly and at specific points.

I still enjoy playing, although alting new classes is keeping it fresh rather than logging onto my main and doing stuff.

Crafting needs to be revamped, the cartel market drives some income for EA, fair enough, but we've had no new gear sets to craft since launch, the fixed random RE chance continues to be tiresome and even on basic materials like scavenging, missions create stockpiles of one and not enough of another.

On the pvp, I would agree. I've used it for the first time to level an alt and now he hit 50, can't see him ever doing a warzone again.

No mention of server transfers.

6 week schedule is now an 8 week schedule (but that doesn't bother me really)

Says more people of flashpoints and warzones, but F2P players can't do that without paying.

Barbershop, yeah, ok. I don't care, some do, so great for them.

How about...

Space without rails

PVP space

Card games

pod racing

the list goes on.

At least I can make my guy look like a cat person. For real money.

Actually, it isn't. There is no individual class stories here. It's just another planet with another planetary story arc. Your class story will remain at Chapter 3, even though they're referring to the story content in this "expansion" as Chapter 4.

Not sure if it makes any difference to you now, but that is not accurate. The expansion contains continuation of the individual story lines for each class. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/25/star-wars-the-old-republic-bioware-wants-you-to-return-to-a-galaxy-far-far-away

Hey everyone,

Please discuss Jeff Hickman's State of the Game #3 in this thread.

I wish to adress a few major problems in game that have caused a dozen of my friends and guild mates to quit subscribing and playing SWTOR all together. Here is a few of them from Jedi Covenant by player name, Sotty, Rood, John-specko, Der'rick, Vivean, Kalic, K'age, and Catra-wan are some that have left because of the below reasons.

1. As usual is in-game end content, current dailies being to repetitive and a chore to do, and nothing for legacy 30-50 content or any of worth .

2. Major game bugs that cause disconnections, major lag spikes, enemy glitchs that make operations more annoying instead of challenging, and Global Cooldown bug that still persist to this day.

3. Lack of pvp and guild content.

4. The current all focus on Cartel Market and nothing new for months for subscibers in new gear except the new event and reskins of old gear from the Reputation Vendors...

5. The now announced that new races like Cathar will cost Cartel Coins for Subscribers is a slap in the face to what was originally stated long ago that it would be free to subscribers.

6. Making the Cosmetic Customization is wrong for many reason and more so for subscribers. Reason 1: most MMOs you can do with in-game gold/credits. Reason 2: it has been mentioned long ago back in the start of the game when it would come out subscibers would not have to pay extra for it and Cartel Coins is paying extra nomatter what you say. Reason 3: Just because subscibers get a small monthly Cartel Coins bonus does not mean we should be forced then to use it on changing our looks which is free practically everywhere else and even our pets have a semi-version of it for free since game launch...

7. Personally most end gear and the new stuff from test look like horrid bad fan art and all the good looking stuff is going straight to Cartel Market which is completely unfair to subscribers.

p.s. If this keeps up with no improvements at the end of my subscription I will be ending my time with this game.

Surely there is a better option than shutting down the APAC servers.

Whilst I understand economic decisions have to be made, this is a bad one EA/BW. Don't ignore or displace your worldwide player base just because of a population issue. There's more than enough APAC players for 1 server.

Sometimes a solution that deletes a problem, isn't a solution at all, its a cop out.