Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Cataclysm in no means "tanked", but it is considered to be the worst received expansion, even by Blizzard themselves, admittedly because they spent so much time revamping the older zones that there wasn't the expected amount of content in the end game. There was also a whole lot of announced content that didn't make it into the game. But it was still a successful expansion, especially if you compare it to everything else.

Speaking of character height, if they ever made Voss playable, they'd have some really tall ladies. At least I'd hope they kept their height consistent with the NPCs.

Edited by chuixupu

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of character height, if they ever made Voss playable, they'd have some really tall ladies. At least I'd hope they kept their height consistent with the NPCs.

There's a reason why we probably won't see playable Wookies, and that's simply because every single piece of armour in the game would need an alternate texture to fit on their frames (given that legacy/cartel market allows the unlocking of every species for every class). This would go for the Voss or any other species that wouldn't fit into the four body types already in the game.

As it is, they took a short cut with Bowdaar. No armour shows on him, and the only way to change his appearance is through customisations (much like Khem Val and Broonmark). They'd never do that for PCs, though - it would be too much work.

I haven't read this thread so sorry if it has been said before but my honest opinion on the matter:

First off, romances in general should not be a main priority for fixing/adding at the moment. There are many other things that i feel would help the population more such as post-50 content, easing f2p restrictions and so on. However, i still feel that before same-sex romance is put in that same-sex romance should be "fixed"

What i mean by that is there are a few complaints that have been around since the start such as a light side Jaesa romance or using romance as a reason to turn Ashara to the darkside. Once those are taken care of then maybe same-sex romance can be looked at.

Cataclysm in no means "tanked", but it is considered to be the worst received expansion, even by Blizzard themselves, admittedly because they spent so much time revamping the older zones that there wasn't the expected amount of content in the end game.
I phrased that wrong. While the expansion itself didn't tank, it managed to lose Blizz around 2 million subs and was generally poorly received by critics and players alike after it came out. That's not the way you wanna do it as a gaming company. :rolleyes:

But this isn't really on topic. *cough*

I haven't read this thread so sorry if it has been said before but my honest opinion on the matter:
Maybe you should have read this thread then. What should and should not be done is out of our hands, but we can voice opinions, yes. Yours is not one that will go down well in this thread, but noted.

**pops in**

Don't see why they couldn't do it all at once. I think it would make more sense from a financial and time perspective to do all the romance content together. The flirts we're getting in Makeb I think were intended at one point to go in after SGRs, but they had those done probably pretty quickly. SGRs got delayed, so we're seeing the Makeb flirts first.

I honestly think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg and there is far more down the pike. From everything I've gathered after nearly a year of research, the game going F2P was the big monkey wrench in a lot releasing of content. We happened to be the group that was ignored the longest, but those that want this feature were certainly not the only ones that got hit by this.

I'm still around. I love the Suggestion Box thread and my goodness was there a good blog in there too. If you'll excuse me, I've got DA2 to finish. I have some ideas and thoughts about how SWTOR might handle future SGR content, but I'd like to get a couple of playthroughs in first. I've done that with DA:O; I did the SGR with Leliana and the OGR with Alistair. I'm also analyzing DA2 a bit, for their approach to SGRs.

I've noted the differences, but I'll be back when I'm done. Still love ya guys!

Also, there is a thread in the Suggestion Box that is dedicated to talking about why SGRs shouldn't be in the game yet. If you have strong feelings about this matter, please post there. :)

Edited by natashina

I love the Suggestion Box thread and my goodness was there a good blog in there too. If you'll excuse me, I've got DA2 to finish. I have some ideas and thoughts about how SWTOR might handle future SGR content, but I'd like to get a couple of playthroughs in first. I've done that with DA:O; I did the SGR with Leliana and the OGR with Alistair. I'm also analyzing DA2 a bit, for their approach to SGRs.

I've noted the differences, but I'll be back when I'm done. Still love ya guys!

I missed you. :(

I totally know what you're talking about, am half through my replay of DA-O, have started a Smuggler in SWTOR and find myself enjoying the forums and talking about SGRs too much. And I still have stuff to finish, writing-wise. :rolleyes: I don't have enough time....

I must say I really, really, really enjoy the Smuggler more than I ever enjoyed the Consular. I love Corso and his interaction with my Captain. I do hope Corso will become available for SGR, gawd, I really would love to see that. :cool:

First off, romances in general should not be a main priority for fixing/adding at the moment. There are many other things that i feel would help the population more such as post-50 content, easing f2p restrictions and so on. However, i still feel that before same-sex romance is put in that same-sex romance should be "fixed"

Post 50 content is already coming with Makeb. The cap is being raised to 55. And when Makeb hits, guess what you'll be saying? "First off, romances in general should not be a main priority for fixing/adding at the moment. There are many other things that i feel would help the population more such as post-55 content, easing f2p restrictions and so on." (You'll still be asking for f2p restrictions to be eased because they're not going to be easing them any time soon, because the idea of the restrictions are to encourage people to either fork out money on the cartel market, or to subscribe to the game.)

SGR has to be addressed sooner or later (because they said it would be), it has to be ahead of some things on the priority list - if people keep pushing it to the end of that list, it'll never be added.

Also, bear in mind that Bioware has several teams working on the game at the one time. People fixing bugs are not the same people creating and implementing story based content (such as SGRAs).

What i mean by that is there are a few complaints that have been around since the start such as a light side Jaesa romance or using romance as a reason to turn Ashara to the darkside. Once those are taken care of then maybe same-sex romance can be looked at.

And now you've just pushed them behind OGRs that already exist being tailored to your liking. My female Sith Warrior would LOVE to romance Light Side Jaesa - she's totally hot for (as well as warm, gooshy, and feeling generally romantically inclined towards) her - which they could totally add at the same time as opening her up to male Sith Warriors without it costing much more in time, money, and effort.

As for Ashara turning to the dark side... why is that a priority over SGR? Seriously.

easing f2p restrictions and so on.

I don't think F2P restrictions should necessarily be eased up. it's a very big game with a hell of a lot of content. Letting free players see the whole lot would make subscriptions entirely pointless. The devs would run out of money very quickly and then bam, nobody's got the game to play, free or paid.

Having said that maybe the F2P restrictions COULD be less restrictive, I honestly wouldn't know as I've been subscribing from launch.

Not to put too fine a point on it but How About No. SGRAs have been a concern since well before launch. Don't try to use age of complaint as a factor that's even slightly valid because SGRAs will beat a lot of other issues based on that alone.

So once the already-extant OGRAs are tweaked in a manner that you find more pleasing 'then maybe same-sex romance can be looked at'? How damn entitled do you want to be? 'What I have must be perfect before anything even close to similar can be looked at for you, and even then it's only a maybe'?

No. That's not even close to suitable. I suggest you have a good long look at your own internal priority queue and ask yourself why it is that we aren't allowed anything, imperfect or no, before you get even more of what you already have.

Edited by Kioma

Yes i should have read the thread first, but also i think my post should have been read better. What i feel as "priority" are non-romance features. I just highly doubt that adding same sex marriage over easing f2p restrictions (wether they plan it or not) and other features such as fixing open world PvP will bring in more population/money for bioware. When it comes to romance features though, i'm simply stating my opinion. So yes, it is suppose to be what i want since its my opinion lol.

Now i obviously don't have pure hard evidence, but i think its safe to say opposite gender romance is more "liked" than same-sex romance. Not being homophobic or anything but judging purely off of years of reading on forums about various games that have romance options (Mass effect, dragon age, kotor, the witcher etc) that man+woman=most wanted/liked. Therefore all though its my opinion and what i want i feel adding in the options that have been asked for since launch for opposite gender romance would in the end be better for population as i feel there are way more players out there that would not touch same-gender romance.

Again, i don't have statistics or evidence to any of this its my opinion/educated guess.

edit- You need to take a chill pill mate lol you are getting so worked up over one person's opinion simply because it dosen't agree with yours yet your crying to me about how i feel "entitled" and how i should not express everything i want and try to make some sort of deal where other people get what they want to. I play this game for personal enjoyment not to please other people. I just find it crazy that your so surprised.

Edited by Katano

Yes i should have read the thread first, but also i think my post should have been read better. What i feel as "priority" are non-romance features. I just highly doubt that adding same sex marriage over easing f2p restrictions (wether they plan it or not) and other features such as fixing open world PvP will bring in more population/money for bioware. When it comes to romance features though, i'm simply stating my opinion. So yes, it is suppose to be what i want since its my opinion lol.

There is a thread for telling people that you don't want SGRA's in the game or think that Pazaak racing is more important. It's in the Suggestion Box and is run by a chap with very similar opinions to yours. I would politely request that you continue your train of thought there, as this is a thread for discussing how same-sex romances could be implemented into the game, not whether or not you think they should.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how the SGR flirts are dealt with in RotHC. While it's not full SGRAs it'll at least be a snapshot of how they're intending to approach the whole matter.

I imagine they'll be just like they are now with npcs.

*Flirt*

*respond with compliment or nervousness and then move onto the quest at hand*

There is a thread for telling people that you don't want SGRA's in the game or think that Pazaak racing is more important. It's in the Suggestion Box and is run by a chap with very similar opinions to yours. I would politely request that you continue your train of thought there, as this is a thread for discussing how same-sex romances could be implemented into the game, not whether or not you think they should.

And like this thread, it has people in it saying "it should be implemented and this is how and if you don't agree you're wrong and or evil" :p

Why I suggested combining the two threads. It's the same thing in both threads, only a different title.

It's the same thing in both threads, only a different title.

You’re wrong, and you know it.

This thread was originally about asking for clarification about when (and if possible, how) SGRs were going to be implemented. It still is, because as time goes on and SGRs don’t appear for companions, we’re going to want more clarification.

In the meantime, however, as you well know, the scope of this thread has become fuzzy, at the behest of the mods. So now it’s also a place for discussing how SGRs could be implemented (and all the myriad details that that entails). In this thread the debates are now about what to do vis-à-vis SGR-implementation. Anti-SGR players are welcome to come and debate those details if they want to. They’re not welcome to come and rail against actually implementing SGRs (and I include in that comment all the sneaky ways that that type of poster has to try to argue against SGRs). Not that anti-SGR types don’t come here anyway to speak against SGRs – but they’re clearly off-topic and rude.

The other thread is explicitly a place for the anti-SGR crowd to rail against SGRs. Hence it is also the place where that issue is debated. So long as posters stick to the topic and politely/respectfully debate the point ‘SGRs should not be included’, they should be welcome in that thread (but not here).

This is all pretty obvious, so why do you persist in trolling the issue?

The two threads have been kept separate ( they aren't even in the same subforum ) I would think in an attempt to keep the whole forum a little more peaceful. We all know its a rather charged subject and neither side is going to be convinced that the other could have a point.

There are plenty of multiple threads about the same subjects in the rest of these forums and I don't think having two about this subject is going to kill anyone.

Also, if you aren't going to read the rest of the thread, why bother posting? I know its long, but you're here for information ( supposedly ) its there for the reading, read.

^.^

And like this thread, it has people in it saying "it should be implemented and this is how and if you don't agree you're wrong and or evil" :p

I don't see anyone pro-SGRA in this thread accusing anyone of being 'evil' simply because someone disagrees with an opinion. Wrong? Certainly. Some people's opinions do strike me as being 'wrong'. Of course they do. If they didn't I wouldn't oppose them. When someone comes into this thread saying that there should be more work done on OGRAs before SGRAs are even looked at then yes, I think that's wrong and I'm going to say so.

And yes, I do think it's an entitled viewpoint and no mention of 'chill pills' by the person I was quoting is going to alter the fact that they were saying outright that SGRAs should wait until non-romance stuff and further OGRA content has been implemented. And then only a 'maybe'.

Is the person I was responding to 'evil'? No, and I never suggested that they were. Funnily enough the pro-SGRA crowd is always on the receiving end of that particular judgement. It's an opinion, it's one I oppose and it's one that I think is outright wrong. Not because it's different from mine, but because it comes from a position of privilege, because it's completely blind to the idea that pro-SGRA players might want the same opportunities as pro-OGRA players, and because the view that we should have to wait not only for non-romance features but also for the expansion of existing OGRA features is an entitled viewpoint.

Why I suggested combining the two threads. It's the same thing in both threads, only a different title.

This is a very bad idea. Putting those two threads together would result in the biggest flame-fest since the mods decided to separate the pro- and anti-SGRA crowds.

And before you start saying the two crowds are 'just as bad as one another' or anything similar, we're not intending to deny people features. We just want features implemented and expanded upon. We're not trying to get them to take OGRAs out. The majority of us, I'm willing to bet, have no problem with OGRAs being expanded upon, we just want SGRAs implemented as well, alongside, as they should have been at launch.

Those opposed to SGRAs want to deny features outright. The two viewpoints are directly in opposition.

Edited by Kioma

Oh this post did give me a good laugh.

First off, romances in general should not be a main priority for fixing/adding at the moment.

Okay, but

What i mean by that is there are a few complaints that have been around since the start such as a light side Jaesa romance or using romance as a reason to turn Ashara to the darkside.

this doesn't jive well with the argument that romance content (all of it) should be pushed way way back.

You can't say romance "in general" should be pushed to the back burner to justify pushing off SGRAs and then say some of it (OGRA content ofc) should be placed a bit higher on the list.

And complaints about a "lack of SGRAs" have surely been around "from the start" (even before then) so why should these particular OGRAs be placed as a higher priority over SGRAs? Or, you could just stick to your original "guns" and say it should all be of equally low priority.

As an aside, I would like a LS Jaesa romance too (SGRA enabled ofc) but I have an odd feeling that it would be OGRA exclusive if ever added (DS Jaesa would be the SGRA :rolleyes:)

I imagine they'll be just like they are now with npcs.

*Flirt*

*respond with compliment or nervousness and then move onto the quest at hand*

Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm nonetheless interested to see how they're dealt with. Not so much in a mechanical manner (I mean there are only so many ways the engine can respond to player input) but in the implementation of availability, as it were - whether they'll be intended as exclusively same-gender, for example, or whether they'll simply throw in [Flirt]s that are available to both genders. I'm expecting a mix, of course.

Then there's the writing. How the opportunities are written is a pretty key thing. Will the writing flow as if same-sex relations are so natural that neither character really blinks? 'You like me? But I'm nobody special,' has a very different feel to 'You like me? But I'm a boy.' The writing sets a cultural overtone for same-sex relations in general, not just for that one instance of flirtation.

That's one of the reasons I'm so much more positive about [Flirt]s coming with Makeb than I could be. No, it's not full SGRAs (and it arguably should be), but it's an opportunity for BW:A to let everyone know where they stand on SGRAs' validity within the SWTOR universe in an in-character, in-game manner.

Whether they take that opportunity or not, well, that's another matter of course.

Just a random thing I wanted to throw in.... spoiler alert for those that haven't played a male Smuggler yet.

It makes me happy (I guess in an "I take what I can get" kind of way :rolleyes:) that Corso will take my Smuggler's courting gifts. Not only that, but he reacts quite favorably to them.

Just finished his companion quest and he refers to my guy as "my captain" more than once... and it makes me go :o.

Even his cousin Rona whom we were supposed to save said to him afterwards "Go with your captain. Maybe both of you will be able to do what I never could." or something along the lines.

Thinking about it, since Corso is the only guy in the Smuggler's team (well, Bowdaar aside), is it unreasonable of me to hope he'll be available for SGR?

Quite certainly, both harmonize quite well with the other. Wow, I wish, I wish.... :rolleyes:

// end mushy little fangirl rant

I haven't played with Jasea yet, and when I had Ashara I was light side so turning her dark side wasn't an issue, but I agree with the option to turn either one light or dark during your romance, as long as my female character has the same opportunity. Options like that are cool, its always fun to have the option to turn characters light or dark side, I wouldn't mind if they expanded those light/dark options to include more romances if those are the only ones, again so long as female characters get that same option. We female characters should have the exact same opportunities the male characters have, we do in every other aspect of the game and there's no reason why romances should be any different. Equal treatment, its not a hard concept, its the point of this thread and its what the vast majority of players want, hopefully it'll become reality sooner rather than later.

As an aside, I would like a LS Jaesa romance too (SGRA enabled ofc) but I have an odd feeling that it would be OGRA exclusive if ever added (DS Jaesa would be the SGRA :rolleyes:)

The implications of a character "going bi" because she's turned evil are pretty nasty, so I really hope that doesn't happen. Now whether or not any possible LS romance should be same-gender or universal... I shan't say.

Just a random thing I wanted to throw in.... spoiler alert for those that haven't played a male Smuggler yet.

It makes me happy (I guess in an "I take what I can get" kind of way :rolleyes:) that Corso will take my Smuggler's courting gifts. Not only that, but he reacts quite favorably to them.

Just finished his companion quest and he refers to my guy as "my captain" more than once... and it makes me go :o.

Even his cousin Rona whom we were supposed to save said to him afterwards "Go with your captain. Maybe both of you will be able to do what I never could." or something along the lines.

Thinking about it, since Corso is the only guy in the Smuggler's team (well, Bowdaar aside), is it unreasonable of me to hope he'll be available for SGR?

Quite certainly, both harmonize quite well with the other. Wow, I wish, I wish.... :rolleyes:

// end mushy little fangirl rant

see, I've been saying that the entiiiire time that he doesn't seem to be 'all that straight', he is just the typical 'gentleman-farmboy' with a female smuggler and all 'bro bro' with the male one. and there are more than enough 'minor hints'. I feel with you, no doubt. it's making me all grrr and arrr that it's just not going to happen any time soon (outside my head, anyway)

Thank you to those who replied to my previous post.

On another note... I am wondering about those who are excited about the new SGR flirts, in the upcoming expansion or whatever, if they see the move as good thing or a bad thing? It sort of feels like, to me, that Bioware (and affiliates) are simply giving us a tiny bone to chew to keep our mouths busy. It doesn't seem fair. Or do you think it's an opening to more equal availability of SGR's in the future? Do you think it's best to put money into something that you hope gets better or to withhold that money as a warning to the company (that we want full SGR's or nothing)? What gets the message across better? Obviously, if you enjoy the game no matter what... the question is less important.

On a side note... I am wondering if I choose to cancel my subscription, do I lose everything (characters, gear, credits, etc.)? Or would they just continue on when/if I resubscribe in the future?