DPS Gearing for 2018, Patch 5.6

Evolixe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering:

You recommend 8x Crit Enhancement, 6x Crit Augment, 2x Crit Crystal and Accuracy Stim for the low alacrity build. That equals in 248+236 Gear rating 2749 Crit Rating (including relics). I don't have knowledge of diminishing returns, but I usually stack mastery / power when I reach about 1900 crit.

Did you test such high crit?

How do you get to 2700 crit?

Check your math again.

8 x Enhancement = 8 x 231 = 1848

6 x Augment = 6 x 98 = 588

2 x Relic = 2 x 66 = 132

2 x Crystal = 2 x 41 = 82

1 x Stim = 1 x 99 = 99

=> 1848 + 588 + 132 + 82 + 99 = 2749

Edited by CMoray

I will see if I can spare some time this afternoon and perhaps get some more people for a larger sample size.

I don't think you'll get accurate results without spreadsheeting the diminishing returns formulas with the rotation. ~1900 crit and the rest into mastery or power augs/crystals/stim is probably the best bet.

Edited by Eli_Porter

You definitely have WAY too much crit on the Low Alacrity build. 1900-2000 is the tops you should be getting right now. So you absolutely need a few Mastery augments for low alacrity build. Could use 1-2 Mastery crystals too, depends. I don't really use a Low Alacrity build anymore cause I regeared my main to skank for PvP. But when I did run Low Alacrity setup for PvP on my jugg, I had about 1880 crit rating, tier1 Alacrity and everything else into Mastery. For PvE you obviously run Accuracy too. What I am saying is that Mastery augments are a must have for low alacrity, in any case. Edited by Equeliber

I think I layed it out pretty clearly in the OP dude.

You may disagree but I stand by my post.

Thanks for sharing your opinion anyway.

The layout is theoretical, which is fine, but you could chosen a more realistic approach to some of your recommendations.

Stim should be a constant, which means you gear around your stim. You have 100% accuracy, which is sufficient for PvP. Changing your stim on the fly is not realistic, no more than asking people to swap out enhancements, based on the activity that they are engaged in ( which could be done, its just too expensive and impractical-much like the stim swap).

Similarly, given that bolster will cushion some of the shortfall in gear for both PvP and PvE, the main point to emphasize is accuracy. Augmenting your gear for the 248 rating is more practical and cost-effective. So, players below the 248 rating should gear around their augments and stim, which will save them a lot of credits.

Obviously, not everyone will be able to get the top-tier augments easily but if it is not top-tier, its not optimal, hence, there is really not much point in optimizing for low tier gear unless you plan to stay in low tier gear for a long period of time (Which is unlikely for someone who wishes to optimize his/her gear).

TL;DR: Stim and Augments should be considered as constants, and any optimal gearing recommendations should incorporate their respective contributions to the stats pool one wishes to achieve.

I don't think you'll get accurate results without spreadsheeting the diminishing returns formulas with the rotation. ~1900 crit and the rest into mastery or power augs/crystals/stim is probably the best bet.

You wont get accurate results there either. Unless you factor in all of the EP values.

Besides, once you pass a certain threshold with crit you should no longer look at your odds of critting, but sooner at the odds of not critting.

Although the recent nerfs on passive surge could be a legitimate obstacle.

As far as the stim stuff goes, ill keep it short since im on the job;

I see no reason why I couldn't expect anyone to carry a set of both Accuracy and Mastery stims especially since the only reason to swap is when you go from PvE to PvP or the other way around. It's actually great because you only have to swap your stim when you change rather than screw around with multiple sets of gear.

Another small nitpick is the choice of stim for the low alacrity build. Accuracy stim builds end up with 9 more points of wasted accuracy, so unless you really need the crit you're better off with the mastery/power stim.

This was already discussed and the answer is; No, you're not.

This was already discussed and the answer is; No, you're not.

No it wasn't discussed, I'm talking specifically about the low alacrity build that easily hits diminishing returns on crit.

If you're gonna be investing in mastery/power anyway, a mastery stim setup gets you to 756 accuracy while the accuracy stim setup gets you to 765 accuracy. So you're wasting 9 points which could be spent in mastery/power.

Evo, Bravo.

You're a genious thank you very much my Shadow feels reborn! So cool to find people like you who got the brain cells and patience to experiment like this and once u reach "heureka!" you don't keep it to yourself like an evil genious would.

Guess I just realized the difference between a genious and an evil genious.

Thank YOU sir! :D:D:D:D

Yeah IDK about that one, but thanks I guess :p

Um, as for the crit build.. from my findings It CAN put out numbers. The problem with it is the lack of consistency.

It's probably capable of higher outputs than a full power build point for point, IF you run a hell of an RNG parse. HOWEVER.. it can also do REALLY badly if you don't crit your key abilities.

So I'm going to adjust the recommendation in support of a Power build purely because it's less RNG.

I also apologize to anyone that's been basing his Low Alacrity build gearing upon my recommendations so far, you're going to have to change a few things. Once again proves best way of learning is doing.. even for me ;)

Edited by Evolixe

I see no reason why I couldn't expect anyone to carry a set of both Accuracy and Mastery stims especially since the only reason to swap is when you go from PvE to PvP or the other way around. It's actually great because you only have to swap your stim when you change rather than screw around with multiple sets of gear.

Well, I had no idea people only queued for one single activity at a time; I don't. So, if that's the case then, I stand corrected.

I'm always in both queues; pve and pvp, while doing some other activity like dailies or chapters. Even if I am queued up for ranked, I'm still in the FP group finder, so whichever pops first, i go with. I thought that's what most people did, but I guess not.

Well, I had no idea people only queued for one single activity at a time; I don't. So, if that's the case then, I stand corrected.

I'm always in both queues; pve and pvp, while doing some other activity like dailies or chapters. Even if I am queued up for ranked, I'm still in the FP group finder, so whichever pops first, i go with. I thought that's what most people did, but I guess not.

Because it's clearly quicker to change your set of gear once you're inside a warzone or a fp instead of just changing one stim, clearly changing that inside the warzone is the way to go if you don't want to lose time :rolleyes:

Not saying you aren't right, I q for both activities myself, but it's way easier to just change one stim instead of planning two different set of gear for both PvE and PvP, especially since most of the players here don't have the time to grind two set.

And, quick reaction to an earlier post, you need more than 100% accuracy for PvP also, especially since there is so much tank around as well as a crap ton of defense/resist chance nowadays. You'll end up losing more dps by playing with 0 accuracy than you'll be gaining, even with the silly increase given by power or mastery augment/stim

And finally, the reason why you want to take the yellow stim for your accuracy setup is because the 110% accuracy using a mastery stim gives you... well, mastery and power, which you already have plenty with a full 248set. You'll be better investing into crit and alacrity directly. Accuracy stim give you this option to choose where to invest a big part of your non-accuracy stat, where the mastery stim doesn't let you much choice.

Just my two cent here :)

Edited by supertimtaf

I don't think there are too many people doing that.

I either feel like pvping or i feel like doing something else.

But the amount of times i've used the pve group finder in the past 6 years can be counted on 1 hand.

I have no interest in small scale pve, never had. To this day I still havn't seen all the flashpoints.

The only PvE I've ever done has been with a prearranged group of players and it's all been 8/16man stuff.

I don't like playing with random people in PvE, it actually makes me want to uninstall.

Edited by Evolixe

Is mastery relic still best choice in terms of any build that discards crit low end and runs with mastery augments instead?

Yes. Crit relics are unreliable and Alacrity ones (if those even exist?) are useless.

Edited by Evolixe

Gearing is currently identical for both specs, which is rather nice for the flex players under us.

Please keep in mind that Earpieces and Implants also count as Enhancements,

since you can choose which stats are on it.

It also doesn't matter if you are using new or old augments.

The 2 stat difference isn't big enough to force a change in gearing.

You just get a bunch more Power and Endurance.

248 Hatred and Deception

In 248 you got 2 options.

The recommended option is that you go with the higher amount of Alacrity.

Reasons to go for the lower amount of Alacrity are explained below.

As for the Lower Alacrity version, there are 2 ways of doing this one.

One with 1617 crit and one with 1848 crit.

The lower crit one will provide you with more stable numbers, but is incompatible with PvP for its high accuracy.

The higher crit one will provide you with higher peak damage in case of generous RNG.

242 Hatred and Deception

In 242 you really only have 1 option. You can't reasonably reach the higher Alacrity Threshold.

And besides that if you're still gearing up I wouldn't worry too much about the Alacrity part.

Summing it down

• Stats are listed by order of importance.
    However as explained in lower gear levels Alacrity isn't as big of a deal. Accuracy is, though.
  • Accuracy and Alacrity are here to stay.
    You should get at least some Accuracy and what I give you here is what I recommend.
    For PvP you could opt to drop one Accuracy augment for a Crit one. That's about as far as I'd go down with it.
  • Don't deviate from the Alacrity numbers unless you have a good reason to (Bad ping, not filling GCDs etc)
    The reason for this is that the amount of Alacrity I guide you to puts you past the threshold for a lower GCD.
    Getting any more or less will just hurt you. It either doesn't affect the GCD or it affects it in a negative way.
  • Get your setbonus ASAP. 6x 230 Armorings with set is better than 6x 248 Armorings without set.
  • You get more than enough Power from sources outside of the posted ones. You can't really avoid it in the lower alacrity 248 builds (which is why they are not so great) But you don't need more and you don't want more. Power is massively overrated. Leave it for what it is.

If you have any further questions I would like to redirect you to the Discord Server in my signature.

There are currently 150 Assassins and Shadows over there which will gladly help you on your way.

Returning player here. Which build is this for? Can you recommend any guides for PvP guides for Shadow/Assassin. Looking for rotational info as well. My old sources seem to be out of date or only partially updated.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can render !