State of the Game #3

CourtneyWoods

Mr. Hickman is right. SWTOR is a better game now and all servers (at least North American) are in a very healthy state. BW's effort late last year was a step in the right direction.

However, I am not very excited about Makeb and 2.0, and the expansion seems to be taking things backward (not even sideways). I pre-purchased Makeb on day one when it became available, but since 2.0 hit the PTS I have felt nothing but disappointment and malaise in regard to what's coming in that expansion.

I primarily PvP and Makeb includes nothing for me as a player in that regard. While I appreciate that this is a PvE game first, one would figure that an expansion would include something significant for all aspects of gameplay; PvE, PvP, Crafting, Space. The only portion of this game receiving any real attention is PvE in the form of leveling, FPs and Ops.

I would have been happy receiving just one more WZ. Instead we will be getting a broken Bolster mechanic (not one iteration of the mechanic has worked correctly on the PTS), some terrible class rebalancing, and a new gear grind that won't even be necessary with the implementation of the Bolster mechanic.

While I appreciate that "quality of life" in game needs to be improved, changes of that nature don't get me jazzed. In fact, I feel even more disappointment that there is nothing on the plate for PvP in the future beyond xpac release based on the State of the Game comments.

Now while I primarily PvP, I also do a great deal of PvE. I have 10 Alts and 6 50s with all of my Alts capped out in crafting. I only have two stories left to experience and already have Alts that I'm leveling for that purpose. I have also done HM EV, KP, Denova and Asation to experience that content. So I PvE for the story, but will be done with all of the stories once I hit 50 on my remaining alts. Since Makeb does not provide any extension of class stories, I can pretty much guarantee that I will only be taking three of my toons to 55, my two Imp mains that run RWZ PvP and one of my Pub 50s (just to experience that faction's story).

I really love the fact that SWTOR managed to turn things around last year. I am also happy that you guys are making a ton of money through the Cartel Market. I have no misgivings or ill feelings toward the CM since my experience has benefitted greatly since its implementation. I have even purchased some of the Legacy unlocks with my Cartel Coins and find them quite useful, along with some of the Cargo Bay and Inventory Module Account-wide unlocks.

I was an EGA player and have been paying a monthly sub since the launch of this game. I'm not threatening to leave the game or anything, just providing some feedback on what I'm seeing as the state of the game for the very near future based on what has been on the PTS for Makeb. I want to play this game for years. I want to keep giving BW my money in those years to come. However, I just don't see anything upcoming that's going to keep me engaged given my preferences and playstyle for longer than a month or two. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by DarthOvertone

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, hello.

I want my *********** character transfer option. Not this dumb **** of an update.

Apparently SWTOR has enough idiots to appeal to so they get away with this kind of garbage instead of really improving the state of their game.

apparently

im not saying that what im saying is dont try and tkae more and more and more money but give us little to nothing back ur already taking my sub money what else do u need

You have to look at this way. Your sub money is for x content, which I thought BioWare spelled out pretty well when they established what sub accounts get vs. F2P. Unless they are in some way violating that or maybe if you were sub account and you still had to buy something on the cartel market that was either required for you to prorgress or made it easier, you have NOTHING valid to complain about. If you don't like what your monthly payment provides you, take it somewhere else.

So what he's basically saying is that they're extending content updates from 6 to 8 weeks after Makeb.

That the first one will be quality of life, bug fixes and a barbershop.

No mention of future ops, flashpoints, warzones.

So basically to sum up the game launched badly and they've spun out all the stuff they had prepped into updates 1.1 to 2.0. Since it was a bad launch they lost a lot of people, diverted remaining resources into creating a free to play model including the cartel market to basically save the game. But that used up all there remaining resources so they don't have any real future content after Makeb.

The earliest we can expect to see actual new playable content post Makeb will be 16weeks+ so maybe August unless both 2.1 and 2.2 turn out to be quality of life (fluff) patches in which case October?

The only upside is that FTP seems to be a sucess so once the content drought is over they've no excuse really to not produce regular quality playable content from October onwards, This assumes the game gets strong backing from the powers that be.

Fair assesment or too harsh/leniant?

As a subber I'm becoming very dissapointed with where your guys are going to with the cartel market. I played this game called Perfect World International and it was a f2p cash shop game. They drained so much money from the players for crap like fashion, packs etc. Now swtor is bringing all this cash shop stuff which would be ok if it was a f2p game. But I'm a subber why the hell should I be forced to access this stuff by purchases from the cash shop? What the hell is the point then in being a subber?

I love this game, and I enjoy it but you guys are heading in the wrong direction. If you want to keep your sub base try using some common sense.... seriously...

As a subber I'm becoming very dissapointed with where your guys are going to with the cartel market. I played this game called Perfect World International and it was a f2p cash shop game. They drained so much money from the players for crap like fashion, packs etc. Now swtor is bringing all this cash shop stuff which would be ok if it was a f2p game. But I'm a subber why the hell should I be forced to access this stuff by purchases from the cash shop? What the hell is the point then in being a subber?

To not be bombarded by constant reminders that you're not a subscriber? Oh, and also to access all the things that normal F2P games already give their F2P players, like unlimited Operations and WZs. You know. Access to the game.

And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.

Best news in a long time!

One thing would top it though, guild ship!

Wow so the focus is on MORE cartel market developments. The whole development reeks of trying to milk the game as much as they can get before it dies. Cartel markets flood everything these days. Can't make any more money crafting because its a thousand times cheaper on GTN due to the infernal cartel market. How about making content for the actual paying players of the game.

Cathar should be part of the regular content; not cartel market unlockable. Dropping a nightmare difficulty on us with a few new mechanics does not count as new content when a player has been camping a few months there already, I am slowly seeing the same trend when as when Sony started the SW Galaxies death spiral. I do hope I am wrong. and the major content every 6 weeks comes back. Ya know instead of the 'new cartel crap every 2-4 weeks'.

Yes I love the game.. I have 10 level 50's before. Hoping this MMO is gonna stay but heck I am beginning to dout it.

I'm glad to finally hear the word "Cathar" from a Dev again, but I was hoping for this Spring, not "early Summer". But at least it's back on the radar.

The Barber Shop will be a nice addition as well, but it does seem that 90% of this game has become "Cartel Market Controlled". It's like being in an "amusement park"....exciting and enjoyable....but a money sink :)

To not be bombarded by constant reminders that you're not a subscriber? Oh, and also to access all the things that normal F2P games already give their F2P players, like unlimited Operations and WZs. You know. Access to the game.

Here lemme edit your post.. Right so access to game as a subber means content which means I should get free barber shop. Why would i have to pay extra? Not like its a vanity item. They're crossing the line with this.

Here lemme edit your post.. Right so access to game as a subber means content which means I should get free barber shop. Why would i have to pay extra? Not like its a vanity item. They're crossing the line with this.

agreed. a straight up species change should be a cartel market item, but changing hair style/eye color/skin color/etc should be bought w/ in game credits.

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

I wanted to add some clarification to something that I am seeing mentioned quite a bit in this thread which is our 6 week cadence and Jeff’s mention of 8 weeks. Previously we said:

“Free-to-Play goes live this Fall, and we are dedicated to getting Game Updates out to you every 6 weeks or so. “

We should have been much clearer with what we meant by “or so”. Even back in November when this was in the first State of the Game blog, our goal has always been to bring updates out every 6-8 weeks (which is what we meant by 6 weeks or so). If you look at our release schedule over the past 6 months we have stuck pretty well to this cadence. Jeff mentioning 8 weeks is more to say that our aim is to always get content out to you folks as fast as we can, and our target is 8 weeks or sooner.

I just wanted to add that clarification and not have you guys think we have changed our development goals. The goal has, and still remains, every 6-8 weeks. I hope that clears things up!

-eric

Hey everyone,

I wanted to add some clarification to something that I am seeing mentioned quite a bit in this thread which is our 6 week cadence and Jeff’s mention of 8 weeks. Previously we said:

We should have been much clearer with what we meant by “or so”. Even back in November when this was in the first State of the Game blog, our goal has always been to bring updates out every 6-8 weeks (which is what we meant by 6 weeks or so). If you look at our release schedule over the past 6 months we have stuck pretty well to this cadence. Jeff mentioning 8 weeks is more to say that our aim is to always get content out to you folks as fast as we can, and our target is 8 weeks or sooner.

I just wanted to add that clarification and not have you guys think we have changed our development goals. The goal has, and still remains, every 6-8 weeks. I hope that clears things up!

-eric

When can we expect new story content outside of "expansions" then?

Not sure if this has been mentioned. The Cartel packs, would be better (at least for me) to have a set type (theme) of items, not random from a pool of different things, and this be a discounted price than if each items was sold separate. I would rather spend money on few things I want, and not on the hope of getting it along with stuff I don't want..

As far as content, endgame is a big issue with some, however along with that, creating more early game content, side guest etc. would create more replay options. Create "type" only quest, these would only be active for a class, race, sex and even level. Also the same quest giver may give out different quest based on the same, This may be an issue for groups, unless it is triggered by the leader of the group.

Are you ever going to expand on the character creation (and barber shop) by giving us more choices for hair, more scars, FULL FACIAL feature adjustment sliders? Are you ever going to five us adjustment sliders for the bodies so we can actually make our characters look the way we want? Will you ever do the right thing and separate Zabrak head bone formations from hair and Twi'lek lekku markings from cosmetic so players can choose the hair/head bone style or marking design/color they want?

A shop sounds nice, but if it is just the same thing as you currently have in character creation then you may as well not even bother because it would be a waste of time, money and resources. The Mass Effect 3 demo gave you many more facial options in it's creation system than TOR does. A DEMO WAS BETTER! The current system is stupidly limited and need to be greatly expanded.