Why do people join Dark Side?

Sadishist

Dark side. They have better story lines in the game. And lots of force lightning. And red lightsabers.

If Mace Windu/Samuel Jackson went to the Dark Side I could imagine him saying "B.A.M.Fers!" (but not abbreviated, of course).

And that is why the Dark Side is better/stronger.

/Fin

Edited by Slorcsion

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freedom from pretension and hypocrisy, also the quest-givers grate on my ears significantly less in the Empire stories than they do for the Republic. However I do play both factions as Dark, so I don't let factions limit me.

Also I like the idea of a meritocracy, even one as imperfect as that which the culture of the Empire provides.

Many of the Dark choices *do* annoy me however, as many seem more arbitrary, or a puerile idea of what the Dark Side is - than being believable courses of action. For some, it seems "Dark" just likes to blow stuff up and has a bad case of ADHD.

For me, Dark Side means a sort of severe pragmatism, where individual lives and feelings don't hold one back from the the decisions that need to be made in order to bring order into the Galaxy.

As a Character (or in my case, many characters - alt-itis) I usually orient myself towards Lawful Evil.

Edited by RivenDusk

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't have anything to do with the Dark side being more poweful, as Yoda said it's not more powerful, just more seductive. I guess, in a way, that's why I went that route.

True because outcomes of fights between Jedi and Sith may just come down to one of them being stronger (or getting lucky) and not that Light or Dark of the the Force.

But to address the title question.

Some don't Join the dark side but have always been Dark side and raised in the knowledge of that side of the Force.

An example is that the Emperors law states that all force-users be trained as Sith or executed.

So force sensitives born in Imperial space or on Empire controlled Worlds will come to be trained in the Dark Side.

Usually when the individual comes to the Jedi does their training in the Light begin.

However they may be the "cost of admission" because Jedi don't always train every force sensitive they come across.

Why people join the Dark Side?

Simply comes down to the path that individual takes.

I know this threads old as balls now but is it worth mentioning dramatic irony?

We as the audience might have this all knowing Georgian view that both sides of the force are equally powerful and Yoda might have similar thoughts on the matter but the characters we observe do not necessarily share this view.

I'm sure the emperor is quite confident in the power of the darkside what with the immortality and all.

Edited by CaptainApop

Lightside force users have a Harmonus relationship with the force and allow the force to dictate and control a lot of the world they live in.

Darksiders view the force as something to be harnessed and controlled. They pervert and manipulate the force as a tool for power.

So while they could essentially have the same power, they have different approaches

Darksiders feel that lightsiders allow themselves to be slaves to the force

Lightsiders feel Darkside manipilation of the force is unnatural

Edited by kirorx

Darksiders feel that lightsiders allow themselves to be slaves to the force

Lightsiders feel Darkside manipilation of the force is unnatural

Not to mention Lightsiders also think of the others as slaves, only slaves to the Dark Side. "Forever will it dominate your destiny" and all that.

For me, it's not about power - it's about....well, my first character was a JC, and I played her lily-white light. Pretty much her only dark points came in conversations with Zenith, because she lusted after him. And I got burned out on her. I switched to the dark side for a while, and had a blast. I like playing both ways - frankly, dark side conversations are more fun, and you don't seem like such an a** when you choose a snarky reply. And darker conversations, for me, are more fun, lol. I have characters on both sides, and after, um several, several months away from the game, am planning on getting back into it, and slowly playing around and getting characters of each type at least to the end of the class quests (so 50 area), because I've only done JC, Trooper, Bounty Hunter, Agent, Inquisitor, and SW to max level (at the time). I want to experience all the quest lines, see how the others overlap, since they all do, and even the companions overlap, or the companions of one overlap with the missions of another class. And classes I've maxed, I want to play through again, this time as that opposite gender. Not only to refresh myself with the story line, since it's been so long since most of toons hit the original level cap and I can't remember some of it, but I want to see what the opposite gender romance is like.

I feel like they made the mistake of trying to create a game where both sides had justifiable motives in a universe intentionally designed to have a clear distinction between good and evil. It comes off as dark side just being irrationally and counter-productively evil

Huh? So darksider acting solely for the evulz would have been more relatable?

I feel like they made the mistake of trying to create a game where both sides had justifiable motives in a universe intentionally designed to have a clear distinction between good and evil. It comes off as dark side just being irrationally and counter-productively evil

y

But that's absolutely boring unless your a kid watching saturday morning cartoons.

y

But that's absolutely boring unless your a kid watching saturday morning cartoons.

yeah but the overall effect is that the empire and dark side are still patently one dimensional and evil so any attempt to make them more relatable, while superficially interesting, just comes off as schizophrenic if you do any kind of analysis on it. it requires a huge suspension of disbelief to think that any of the empire characters are anything other than cartoonishly and stupidly evil based on what we know about the empire and dark side, which was lucas' explicit intent (in other words, you are correct when you compare it to a Saturday morning cartoon in a certain sense because lucas is on record saying star wars' intended audience is in fact children). maybe with Disney at the helm they can reform the universe but there's a lot of groundwork that would have to be redone and the question is can you change that foundational aspect and it still be star wars. honestly they just wanted to copy wow so bad without considering what made the horde/alliance dynamic work and shoehorned in an empire/republic rivalry and the result is a ridiculous premise for most empire characters if you scrutinize their motives

• 4 weeks later...
But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...

To the logical, rational mind perhaps. To the seeker of instant gratification the Dark Side makes perfect sense.

Gameplay wise, I like to RP my characters to a very minor degree, in that I make my choices based on what THEY would do in that situation. It makes the story more engaging and compelling.

Objectively I view light side and dark side as two extremes of the same spectrum. Those on either extreme seem foolish and short-sighted to me. To over-simplify, the "dark side" seems to be a more impulsive, self-serving, thoughtless approach to the Force. Some dark side choices--like one on Coruscant involving a senator and some stolen data--feel like they should be light side since they serve a greater good, but in reality only serve the whims of the character, some chick you just met, and a knee-jerk "I disagree with you so I'll undermine every core value upon which the Republic stands to stop you" reaction.

Light side and Dark side are more than just meditation or kicking puppies. It's whether you prioritize the greater good for all or the greater good for yourself. It's a matter of how much control you have over your impulses, how much forethought you possess, and how well you empathize with and care about the LONG TERM welfare of those around you. Followers of the dark side boast that they are strong, that they are free. In reality, they are slaves to their emotions. The Light side boasts of clarity and reason. In reality they are crippled by their irrational fear of emotion.

People in the Star Wars universe subscribe to either belief (or some combination thereof) because they are just that--people. Individuals whose core values and perception of the world around them drive them to either the Light side or the Dark side--a path of methodical restraint and rationality or a path of reckless abandon and instant gratification.

Personally, I view the Force as something benign, a tool, requiring certainly a high degree of self control and restraint lest one go over the deep end, but light side and dark side should be viewed as fringe extremists, both missing half of the bigger picture.

Edited by eldefail

But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...

Actually the dark side should be more powerful.

Power is work over time, so if the dark side is quicker for the same result it must be more powerful.

Physics :cool:

Every men born evil

Someone will try to be good as they can,

some other will dedicate their life

to the unholy lord of the earth

Others say it exactly the other way round.

For example the media bioas to always taint white with black so that it becomes grey,

but it is NEVER seen that black becomes tainted with white to become grey.

That's an obvious, although quite masked bias.

My characters make decisions based on what i picture my character would do from RP perspective and also sometimes what i would do.The fact that i end up in the Dark Side with virtually every character i have is not a consciously made decision. Edited by Kaedusz

Actually the dark side should be more powerful.

Power is work over time, so if the dark side is quicker for the same result it must be more powerful.

Physics :cool:

This is wrong in all kinds of ways :D

Edited by Kaedusz