Why are updates so LARGE

Dekkau

I dread logging into this game cus if I have left it a week or so I have to sit like forever while the game updates. I am truly now bored again waiting and as soon as its done I'll be off to play my normal game. Thing is in the updates I have seen, nothing, but nothing has affected my game. It all seems really pointless. Added to the fact this game takes like forever to load and god forbid I go from one place to the next. The game seems to have to rewrite itself each time I play. I am not going to quote any of the other popular MMOs that I play but seriously it is only this game that has these annoying incredibly large downloads and game starting loading periods.

Just my thoughts, as a few moments ago I was kinds in the mood to play but having waited like half my afternoon off to just update the game I really can't be bothered. Sorry for that.

I just start the download, and then go get into some comfy clothes, make a sammich and pour a glass of sweet tea, let the dogs out into the back yard, and BAM, download complete. Then while zoning in, I let the dogs back in.

There are tons of things you can do to kill time til a download completes. Find one you like, and do it :D

^^^ Pretty much this.

Patch while I'm at work. On my days off, patch while im making coffee/having a shower/taking the dogs out.

Really, patching is like 10 minutes for most people. Even one of my guildies who has a craptacular computer and horrible internet can easily find something to do during his 30 minute patch.

Of all the things people complain about, while most can be justified one way or another, this one really boggles my mind.

Most x.y.z patches (for example 2.2.3) are small. Big patches x.y.0 (2.2.0) are larger, because they bring new graphics, new zones, new items, etc.

Most people patch in under 10 minutes, unless they return after a 3 month absence, during which stuff accumulates.

I dread logging into this game cus if I have left it a week or so I have to sit like forever while the game updates. I am truly now bored again waiting and as soon as its done I'll be off to play my normal game. Thing is in the updates I have seen, nothing, but nothing has affected my game. It all seems really pointless. Added to the fact this game takes like forever to load and god forbid I go from one place to the next. The game seems to have to rewrite itself each time I play. I am not going to quote any of the other popular MMOs that I play but seriously it is only this game that has these annoying incredibly large downloads and game starting loading periods.

Just my thoughts, as a few moments ago I was kinds in the mood to play but having waited like half my afternoon off to just update the game I really can't be bothered. Sorry for that.

my game updates in seconds

get a better connection

Hm, for me, the updates that really take a while are the big ones like 2.1, 2.2 etc; those may take up to 30mins but I can't remember a single download to have lasted longer than that. The (almost) weekly ones take maybe 10 minutes, if that. A good time to watch the news to get more incentive to escape the real world for a while afterwards :p

Most people patch in under 10 minutes, unless they return after a 3 month absence, during which stuff accumulates.

That was my longest wait. When I came back after a year. There was 45 mins of patching and updating, but that included my purchase of RotHC. I know things take time which is why I have other distractions like Netflix, dogs, Motorola tablet, etc :D OP needs to get a "maintenance" routine, so when patches take time, or servers are down, he has something better to do.

Need to replace that 9600 modem. :p J/K....I assume you have modern broadband download performance, yes?

Seriously though... modern MMO patches tend to be large, even for small updates. Start the patch and then go do something else until it's done. Unless it's a mega patch.. it will be done within 10 minutes.

Personally, during patching, I spend some quality time on the forums encouraging adults to be adults rather then following their virtual instincts of channeling Children Of The Corn. :p

Edited by Andryah

I hate to say "you think THAT's bad" but in Defiance they basically had to make you redownload the entire client every patch because they can't program worth a damn on updates. Edited by hadoken