Trooper story good?

Mamm

I have 50 mercenary and want create new char (don't want again do empire quests and fp's), i think about Vanguard or Gunsliner(smuggler) and can't choose.

Trooper have interesting story? No spoilers pls.

And what body type you prefer?)

I have 50 mercenary and want create new char (don't want again do empire quests and fp's), i think about Vanguard or Gunsliner(smuggler) and can't choose.

Trooper have interesting story? No spoilers pls.

And what body type you prefer?)

I have a Trooper and it's a solid story if you enjoy military type action, It kind of reminds me of a GI Joe type story with your team and the villains you face, over all I very much enjoy the Trooper story this far, I'm almost done with act 2 so I can't speak for act 3.

I just started a Bounty Hunter and so far I am in love with the story, I love the feel of the nobody becoming somebody story, can't wait to play the outcome.

I have a Trooper and it's a solid story if you enjoy military type action, It kind of reminds me of a GI Joe type story with your team and the villains you face, over all I very much enjoy the Trooper story this far, I'm almost done with act 2 so I can't speak for act 3.

I just started a Bounty Hunter and so far I am in love with the story, I love the feel of the nobody becoming somebody story, can't wait to play the outcome.

I love BH story, but on 50 lvl its over and farming warzones and FP's little boring)

For loots of ppl trooper story is worst story in SWTOR. There are just few (3-4) moments which are interesting but all the rest is just very predictable. When u go Imperial intelligence HQ u see ppl working, computers, holocams etc etc. huge place.. when u go to republic army hq u see General Garza, 1 comuper, 1 desk and secretary..

Few years ago there was great game about troopers - SW Republic Commando, with great storyline..

Maybe if u like USA military u will like trooper storyline otherwise dont play it.

"Sir yes sir"

"I'm on my way"

"I can handle it"

"I'm on it"

I like it, since it goes well with the background of the trooper.

You are republic military special forces - expect to do some of the following

Resolve hostage situations, sabotage military installations/capital ships, assist ground forces, be honour guard and all-round arse kicking top dog.

Hell, you even get an option to kill a traitor during a senate hearing at one point if you so chose!

Matter of taste really. Its not much of a story than series of assigments.

Yes there is some drama and betrayal but basically you're doing what is told unless you go dark side which just gives some twists. You will NOT do much for yourself which is realistic since you are duty bound soldier. Personally, its not bad story just not very exciting one.

Also to me it seems trooper is bit less part of the story. He more solves problems than generates the problems.

The "Dark" Trooper storyline rocks.

I mean, it really rocks!! :cool:

That final Senate committee meeting TormDK mentions above, let me just say I laffed until it hurt. Someone at Bioware has a very good (if somewhat disturbing) sense of humor.

I tried to play a "light side" trooper in beta, but I couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried. That may be why some people find the storyline "boring".

:sy_darkside: Dark Side :sy_darkside: troopers ... get the job done.

(when explaining to an informant why he had better cough up the information I need)

"I'm not just a hired thug. I'm a heavily armed thug."

Edited by GoldSquadGirl

love the class can't say the same for the story. The companions are all very one demential when in comparison the cast of say most force users are varried. In this one all your characters are military personel. So ya not so much variety on that front you do have a couple of interesting characters but that's it a couple. And like people have mentioned your story isn't full of political intrigue or anything it's a series of assignments. Your evil options most of the time are you basically just being a bounty hunter (obsessed with money and calous). Your good options are completely one dimensional. Your just a yes man. There is no John Rambo thing goin on here. Edited by zacger

Trooper is very good and solid class, in both (commando, Vanguard) but it's story line really suxx. For developers excuse I can only guess that it's hard to imagine something bright for military... But I really hate all those quests. All area side quests are typical like "we are at war, help us to save something..." And main story quest goes same way. :-( Maybe someone like that but I really like Sith Inquisitor story line where I hunt for artifacts and have a nice choice to backstab and kill some people around.

My Trooper is level 42 and Act 2 was terrible. Basically it's a poor man's Mass Effect 2 only without any drama or personal story.

Unfortunately the whole Trooper's storyline is very impersonal, you're just a mindless drone doing tasks for Garza over and over again so she can pat you on the head. Story-wise there is no motivation to keep going. Companions are shallow as hell, zero character development and are basically one-dimensional walking stereotypes. There are zero important choices with consequences. Nothing is happening behind the scenes.

Just compare it to Imperial Agent's story which is personal and actually has an ambitious design with choices that affect lots of things which happen later and you will know what I mean.

After Act 1 Trooper has basically no real story with character development. Just some loosely connected missions. You become totally detached from what's going on. Nobody is ever interested in your character, nobody ever asks you anything and side quests felt more personal than class story. All you ever get is lots and lots of boring ego-stroking telling you, that you are the best soldier in the galaxy which is frankly so cheesy I doubt I will get to 50 anytime soon.

Edited by Kozor

After act 1 it's horrible. Just an arrand boy for Garza who is a unrealistic snobby slag.

People were claiming the trooper story line was awesome. It's not. Especially the end of act 2 when you have all your companions. Worst ending to a act ever.

My Vanguard is only lvl 21, doing early missions on Nar Shadda, but so far I'm a bit underwhelmed by the story and dialogue.

Obviously there are certain expectations from a military story, but it just feels a little too disjointed and the dialogue - at least playing mostly light side - a little too formal and bland.

Although I do think part of my hesitation to continue my Vanguard is probably also down to everything feeling - as a few other people pointed out - like a much less engaging version of Mass Effect. And playing the female trooper it's even with the voice of Commander Shepard (Jennifer Hale does an excellent job as usual, although in this game I feel she's surpassed by Jo Wyatt as the Imperial Agent).

Not quite the warm-up I was hoping for in anticipation of Mass Effect 3 in March.

[...]

I can only guess that it's hard to imagine something bright for military...

[...]

Go read David Drake. Try Cross the Stars. You can get it free in ebook form from the Baen Free Library.

Addendum: Heck, most of Drake's really good works are retelling of old Greek and Roman myths anyways, so its not like the authors couldn't raid the same source.

Jason and the Argonauts would work pretty well for a Trooper quest arc, and if they do the Bronze Bull scene half as well a Drake did his, it would be a battle to remember.

"So that's why the bulls were there... We're all going to die now, aren't we?"

"Yep."

"For the Republic!"

Edited by HarryVoyager

I like Trooper storyline to about level 30. The start isn't bad.

But later on I think the story flops. Some of the npc randoms are actually harder than the storyline end encounters. Also the storyline somehow dies off after certain point.

I didn't find Gauntlet and many other epic at all. They were just something I went through.

The separatist stronghold at the start was actually the best part of trooper story for me.

And yes I am at level 50 right now.

The gaunlet just overflows the bucket when it came to my feelings about the story. I was expecting something like the esseles and it was even worse then random quest on a random planet.

They dropped the ball soooo hard on that one. It could have been much more epic.

The gaunlet just overflows the bucket when it came to my feelings about the story. I was expecting something like the esseles and it was even worse then random quest on a random planet.

They dropped the ball soooo hard on that one. It could have been much more epic.

Yeah, I was expecting something like in original Star Wars movie. But I just respecced to Shield and let Dorne to heal me while I pressed few buttons.

i play a lvl 34 combat medic 100% lightside, and i have to say i am bored to death with being lightside, if it wasnt for the fact i am almost lvl 5 lightside i would switch to become 100% darkside but then i would have all those taints from the 34 lvls of lightside choices, and i sure and the hell dont want to remake a trooper just to do the storyline over again just to roll 100% darkside

Act 1 was great as you tracked down the former members of Havoc Squad. I especially enjoyed the fight with Gearbox and the defection of Fuse.

Act 2 had a set up for an epic mission with the Gauntlet, but it wasn't that great. Like others said, it reminded me a lot of the Suicide Mission in ME2 but done in a much less interesting way.

Act 3 I have not completed yet, but it's kind of the same deal. Go here, recruit these guys for help, leave, rinse and repeat. It's kind of a shame really. I love playing my Trooper but I really wish the main storyline was better. The side quests keep me interested though.

Smuggler storyline was freaking great though.