1.4 PVE Anni vs Rage - My DPS meter.

NogueiraA

Well, your first parse (as rage) was done on the 'combat training dummy mk-5' , and the other one (as Annihilation)

was done on the Operations Training dummy.

That's why there's such a big difference in DPS, not sure what you're trying to prove?

Edited by Hazchem

Also, 6 dps doesn't cover the loss of self healing, better interrupt, 5m charge.

First off... anything up to about 100 DPS up or down is more or less a wash in the "real" world, so the exact numbers are irrelevant.

What's important is that Rage single-target DPS is *finally* comparable to Annihilation or Carnage. At least for myself, I parse within 100 points on any of the 3 specs on the Ops dummy under the same conditions (same gear, same buffs, similar use of Bloodthirst and adrenal or lack thereof).

You spend a lot more time in PVE killing trash than killing bosses, and Rage spec has always been a great trash-clearing spec. However, its boss DPS was so far below Anni and Carnage that it just wasn't worth it prior to 1.4.

Now, for just about everything except maybe EC HM and TFB HM (and maaaaybe KP NiM), I can't see why you wouldn't go Rage. Enemies just don't do enough damage anywhere else to necessitate the self-heals, and the 6s interrupt is not critical in any group setting (nice to have though!).

The net positive of mowing through trash the way a fat kid mows through cake, with no downside in boss-killing efficacy, far outweighs the benefits of self-healing and shorter interrupt up until the point that the additional drain on healer resources becomes a problem.

I could see the loss of healing being of noticeable impact on the new HMs just due to the sheer amount of damage dealt to the entire group, but that's going to depend on the group and the healers.

Additionally, Rage is very easy to play. For PVE this is a Good Thing™. If you have multiple choices that yield similar results (in this case, DPS on a boss), the least complicated is the optimal choice. Simpler nearly always means greater margin for error, and that is a key thing in PVE. Unforeseen circumstances and mistakes happen, and you want maximum tolerance to handle them without significant disruption. A "harder" spec to achieve the same results from is less optimal, because errors or surprises tend to be costlier.

I will readily admit that Annihilation is and will always be my "fallback" spec due to its consistency and sturdiness. However, I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons not to give Rage a serious whack even in harder content, because it puts out such a vastly greater amount of damage in most of the encounters in any given piece of content, and has no real downsides, even on bosses, from a purely DPS perspective.