Really Angry and Disappointed About Corso Riggs' Storyline.

katmaglia

I beta tested SWTOR in both the open and closed but then didn't play again until recently. The first character I made was a Jedi Consular and I was so proud of Bioware for the Felix Iresso character. Here was a relationship built on trust, respect and caring.

Then I made a female smuggler...

I made the choice to tell Corso to sleep it off. I'm not the kind of girl to jump into bed with the first drunken spacer to wander by.

I kept waiting for the story to progress. Waiting for Corso to apologize, not flirting with other characters.

Tired of waiting, I googled what the outcome is if you tell Corso to sleep it off. To my dismay I learned that if you don't put out for Corso when he's drunk, that he has no further interest in you except to needle you if you flirt with any other character.

I find this message stunningly wrong for both men and women. It is not OK to set out the message that if women don't comply sexually, a man will have no further interest and/or may actually stalk you after that.

I've spent a lot of money on this game since I've been back on mounts, and strongholds and custom armour, so I'm going to resist the urge to cancel my scrip and uninstall the game for 24 hours but I fear the love affair is over.

Please, Bioware, fix the Corso Riggs storyline. It is inappropriate.

Actually, you don't have to sleep with him at all during that first conversation. And if you don't, he abruptly comes to his senses, realizes he's being an idiot, and backs off, apologizing - saying you deserve far better. Saying you deserve to be respected, not have some drunken moron propositioning you. He apologizes profusely, and that ends that conversation (and starts the romance, or at least opens up options for flirting). It quickly goes from being more than a little uncomfortable to being really sweet. (And he is far, FAR more respectful during the actual romance itself; no further idiocy ensues.)

(Also, asking BioWare to rewrite six-year-old conversations is an exercise in pointless frustration. ;) Never going to happen, end of story.)

Edited by Jagaimee

Hmm, I'm confused. I'm level 30 and he hasn't said one word to me since then. Are you saying that if I lead him on, he changes his mind and apologizes? i suppose that's an improvement but not by much.

And patches happen all the time. It's a thing.

Edited by katmaglia

Hmm, I'm confused. I'm level 30 and he hasn't said one word to me since then.

If you tell him to "sleep it off," that for some reason breaks off any potential romance, which I agree is rather pointless and arbitrary. :/ What I meant to say was that you can flirt with him during that initial conversation (and should, if you want to start the romance), but actually sleeping with him is *not* a requirement.

Corso creeps me out to no end. They're not going to change anything now, but I agree, it's disturbing.

There's also a conversation with Pierce in the Sith Warrior storyline where the only convo choice that earns approval is the one where the female SW sleeps with him. He's not a creeper the way Corso and Doc are, but I found that a bit gross that the only way to earn the approval points there was to have the one-night stand.

yeah , he is the gentleman that doesn't know when NO mean NO . He drove me batty!!! I have no interest in him , and if I wanna shoot what-is-her-name in tha face , then don't look ! better yet..get lost !

Every flirt option a female smuggler get , he moan and whine no stop . I wanted my F!Smuggler to romance Akaavi , instead I'm stuck with an idiot . So end up romancing the old guy just to piss him off :p

Edit: also the story and corso was clearly made for the Male Smuggler , cose many consider him a 'bro' . I remember the 1st time I tried the smuggler someone warned me about that . Which is a shame , since I do love the smuggler Story , its hilarious and a good fresh breeze from all the gloom you get from force users stories .

Edited by SerraShar

Do yourself a favor and don't make a Jedi Knight, Doc is the worst slimeball ever >_<

yeah but you only get Doc way later . And save for that small quest you do with him , you can switch him with someone else . Corso is your 1st companion and you are stuck with him for a while .

Hmm, I'm confused. I'm level 30 and he hasn't said one word to me since then. Are you saying that if I lead him on, he changes his mind and apologizes? i suppose that's an improvement but not by much.

And patches happen all the time. It's a thing.

Advancing the companion stories isn't about *your* level, but about your progress in your class story.

But changing the companion stories would probably require new voice actor work. The voice actors aren't necessarily available, and (among the many who did companion stories) one is definitively not available. The actor who did the English-language lines for Tanno Vik passed away in 2012 (which is why the voice for Tanno Vik sounds a little different in Knights of the Fallen Empire).

And don't forget that it isn't *one* VA per companion that must be available, but *three* (for English, French, and German versions of the conversations).

(A few patches ago, they rebuilt the initial class story cinematics, where you first see your character, but all they changed, in essence, was the camera work. The voice lines, movements of the player and non-player characters, and so on are unchanged. That sort of change is easy, relatively speaking, but won't achieve what you want.)

I was so proud of Bioware for the Felix Iresso character. Here was a relationship built on trust, respect and caring.

Just want to say how much I agree with you here. "Trust, respect and caring" is the perfect summation of that relationship. I love how mature and low-drama the character is.

How sad and inappropriate, chill out. Not every character is goody two shoes, and certainly not in the smugglers team. If game had only perfect behaving characters it would be so boring and generic. You have plenty of flirt options outside your storyline. :rolleyes:

I beta tested SWTOR in both the open and closed but then didn't play again until recently. The first character I made was a Jedi Consular and I was so proud of Bioware for the Felix Iresso character. Here was a relationship built on trust, respect and caring.

Then I made a female smuggler...

I made the choice to tell Corso to sleep it off. I'm not the kind of girl to jump into bed with the first drunken spacer to wander by.

I kept waiting for the story to progress. Waiting for Corso to apologize, not flirting with other characters.

Tired of waiting, I googled what the outcome is if you tell Corso to sleep it off. To my dismay I learned that if you don't put out for Corso when he's drunk, that he has no further interest in you except to needle you if you flirt with any other character.

I find this message stunningly wrong for both men and women. It is not OK to set out the message that if women don't comply sexually, a man will have no further interest and/or may actually stalk you after that.

I've spent a lot of money on this game since I've been back on mounts, and strongholds and custom armour, so I'm going to resist the urge to cancel my scrip and uninstall the game for 24 hours but I fear the love affair is over.

Please, Bioware, fix the Corso Riggs storyline. It is inappropriate.

It was just fine for a Male Smuggler. But rather odd, just like Corso himself. Keep in mind, he's practically a paragon of southern dixieland mentality, so...there you have it!

Tbh, his is the weakest story of all Smuggler companions. Akaavi's is the best imo.

Constantly rejecting and insulting Doc was my favorite part of the crapfest that is the JK story:D

LMAO true enough :D (I like JK though aside from Doc and boring Rusk) I'm with the OP in that I really liked Felix Iresso and wish he got more love :( I hate that we get him so late, I wish we got him on Taris or Nar Shaddaa (Theran Cedrax can go flush himself out an airlock) so we could spend a lot more time with him.

he's practically a paragon of southern dixieland mentality

The absolute bestest possible way to describe Corso's character. Two Thumbs Up!

Do yourself a favor and don't make a Jedi Knight, Doc is the worst slimeball ever >_<

It's worth doing that romance one time - it's a sort of reverse "Taming of the Shrew". "The Taming of the Lounge Lizard" or something like that.

Of course, if you do it on a Miraluka - as I did - there's a lore break in the final conversations - the part where most of the romances talk about children and all that. Doc mentions (because the character isn't a human/cyborg) about how the two of them probably aren't genetically compatible, but they can always adopt. But of course humans and Miraluka *are* compatible, even if it isn't necessarily a good idea - the children often have weak (or worse) "normal" vision AND weak (or worse) Force vision.

Constantly rejecting and insulting Doc was my favorite part of the crapfest that is the JK story:D

Yeah I will admit that was fun :) Probably why he never got around level 10 on my jedi.

Though if you do the intro to him on the planet and have either of your companion with you they will have funny comments about him.

Edited by LeelaSeventen

LMAO true enough :D (I like JK though aside from Doc and boring Rusk) I'm with the OP in that I really liked Felix Iresso and wish he got more love :( I hate that we get him so late, I wish we got him on Taris or Nar Shaddaa (Theran Cedrax can go flush himself out an airlock) so we could spend a lot more time with him.

What? I like both Tharan and Rusk and Iresso. Doc? Oh-oh. Nope.

The thing to remember is that our companions aren't who we think they should be. They have their own personalities, and they just are who they are.

So Corso has a few drinks (probably to work up the courage to approach you romantically), and then awkwardly tries to flirt with you. If you rebuff him, he never flirts again. I always figured it was because he was so embarrassed at how he acted, he didn't feel it was right to try again. And that really goes right along with the type of person he is.

As others have mentioned, if you do flirt with him at that point, he backs off and apologizes. And the rest of his flirts are much more low key and respectful.

(The first thing I do when I get a new companion is read about them in the Codex, in the Persons Of Note section. It helps me understand them better.)

Edited by Trynitris

You didn't have to sleep with him. There was a "yes", "no" and "you don't sound like yourself" reply. That last one is the best in my opinion. This person chose it.

5:17

If you then say you're "no lady" he tells you this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4L0Ofn7EPQ 5:37

I mean, my smuggler was going to be with Koth, but after this conversation I changed my mind. He respects her like no other guy out there ever will.... even if my smuggler is a criminal :p

PS: I like Doc, he makes me laugh with his replies :p

Edited by Tadagyt

The thing that bothers me most is that Corso is not a real person. Someone wrote that storyline and I don't think it sets a good example.

When I first looked online to check the story progression, I read many posts from women who found it very triggering for many different reasons. Some felt there were enough drunken, entitled jerks in the real world, some were reminded of unpleasant incidents, some were bothered by the chauvinistic attitude.

I saw that these comments went back a long time, I don't think it's such a monumental task to address an issue that has been bothering players for years.

I re-rolled my smuggler and I'll give the story writers the benefit of the doubt because I like the smuggler story, it is a change from the seriousness of the Jedi stories. It still feels pretty greasy, though.

:)

I agree that part of the companion chat is a bit creepy, well most of his companion arc or convos (the first gun scene to me just rubs me the wrong way as a female) is just downright dumb. Which is probably why when I do other smugglers I tend to leave him on the ship.

Though I wonder if him and other other romances are meant to fit various tropes/stereotypes. He is the good oldboy typical dixieland type guy.

Edited by LeelaSeventen

Well really the romance stuff and the companion stories are side quests that don't have to be done. I did Corso's story once, and all of my future smugglers will just leave him on the bridge.

I could use c2n2 during the whole story and not lose out in anything. Quite frankly I wouldn't mind a companion that was silent. Corso isn't the only bad choice in Romances. The Warrior can continue the romance after what Quinn does. Actually both male and females have could be counted as wrong choices in romances.

I find the whole having the flirting option with any of the companions off putting especially when it is the first or second conversation you have with them. It is strange I swear the game almost forces you to flirt with the companions. It will start with one flirt option and then for a while each convo wheel will start to have two flirt options (and always the non flirt is a mean comment)

Edit reason : I keep rethinking what I post also I keep seeing errors to fix.

Edited by LeelaSeventen