what is the story with augments

AlCorazon

Hey Folks!

I came back after a years break.

Back then I had the most powerful aguments possible, but now there are some even stronger ones (can't remember the item rating 236 i think?) But those superior ones don't exist for all the stats. If I use mostly power and crit, what is the highest augment rating I can hope for?

there aren't any 236 or 240 overkill (power) augs anymore, but I also think they're crap for everyone but something like a VG tank?

crit and alac are very powerful for most dps and heals. You can get them in 236 and 240 (legendary) augs.

as a general rule, once you use crit and alac augs to reach your target number for your spec, you might think about mastery 236/240 b/c they come with additional power.

I believe the default bolster buff is power, which is quite crap for most ppl, b/c the stock crit/alac is quite low.

If you are mostly relying on Bolster because 252 / 258 is super grindy, then don’t use 236-240 Augments unless your total gear lvl is 252 without Augments,

Why?... I’ve done extensive Bolster testing and these are my findings. If you want to save yourself a bunch of credits, don’t use 236-240 Augments while you have bolstered gear.

Because all Augment slots are automatically bolstered to a 235 Mastery Augment. This is from testing them. You can take one out or put one in and no stats change.

You will also get better over all stats using 228 Augments vs 236-240 due to Bolster. Definitely don’t use 228 Mastery Augments because they do nothing the same as the 236 ones,

But, once you hit 252 and above, the 236-240 Augments start to work better. I’ve had reports that 228 still works better with 252 rating (not confirmed). Which would mean the 236-240 Augments should be saved for 258 gear.

You can use 228 power ones for the most minute dps change. But honestly, you are better leaving the Augment slot empty and having it auto Bolster to 236 Mastery.

What that means for me when I’m gearing is I get my Alacrity, crit and Accuracy where I need them, then I usually leave one or two augment slots empty.

If you feel the need to test these conclusions, please do and post your results and I will test to confirm.

there aren't any 236 or 240 overkill (power) augs anymore, but I also think they're crap for everyone but something like a VG tank?

crit and alac are very powerful for most dps and heals. You can get them in 236 and 240 (legendary) augs.

as a general rule, once you use crit and alac augs to reach your target number for your spec, you might think about mastery 236/240 b/c they come with additional power.

I believe the default bolster buff is power, which is quite crap for most ppl, b/c the stock crit/alac is quite low.

The overkill augs were great for everyone in maxxed gear back in the day, because power in swtor doesn't get effected by DR. You'd reach the percentages of other secondary stats that you wanted, then stack power. Mastery is effected by DR, so while mastery/power amount to the same dps/hps at lower levels, power wins out when min/maxing gear.

It's a shame you can't make them for the current tiers of gear.