Mouseover Healing

Malicity

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think not having GRID even for small groups is going to feel just wrong. But, yes, I'll miss mouseover healing (amongst other things).

The loss of macros has other effects--not "cheating" ones either. In particular, I'm sure anybody that will miss chaining various states, e.g. [hostile][target=targettarget]. Or the [shift] modifiers, etc. As encounters/situations got complicated, macros became almost necessary. Fact of the matter is, you can only make a game so-difficult without the proper tools.

I hate to make this argument, because I don't want to compare this game to WoW nor say it should be like WoW. But, this seems like a fundamental lesson to be garnered from it.

It's all a part part of min-maxing which goes along with being an end game focused gamer. Having to click and heal reduces you response time no matter how fast you are (not even accounting for lag).

The two things you need as a good healer (provided you have the knowledge of the class and its abilities) is a very well laid out healing UI which clearly shows relevant buffs and debuffs and target's health on each friendly targetand preferably is customizable so you don't have to look at stuff which is not relevant (eg. grid) and quick response time (reads mouseover macro). From what I heard/saw, this game has neither.

So basically what you want is a format to write macros?

I don't think Bioware is intersted in anything that can manipulate their script.

This is clearly an endeavor that they are invested in and will more than likely release their own User Interface addons in future patches.

I'm sure if you're patient this may come in some form but probably not involving you having the ability to write game script in to macros.

Edited by DarkInsidious

It's all a part part of min-maxing which goes along with being an end game focused gamer. Having to click and heal reduces you response time no matter how fast you are (not even accounting for lag).

The two things you need as a good healer (provided you have the knowledge of the class and its abilities) is a very well laid out healing UI which clearly shows relevant buffs and debuffs and target's health on each friendly targetand preferably is customizable so you don't have to look at stuff which is not relevant (eg. grid) and quick response time (reads mouseover macro). From what I heard/saw, this game has neither.

Not to be pedantic, but I'd also say encounter awareness aside from strict class theorycrafting. Bad healers watch bars go up and down while the volcano explodes.

Furthermore, I'd add, one ability the most healers never learn is how to prioritize. Sometimes people die, and one must decide who's the least important. Though, I suppose that sort of goes along with situational awareness/assessment.

Edited by gospelwut

The ability to write a macro to remove the action of having to click on the target you want to heal/cast spell on.

Your mouse then acts as a direct representation of what you are going to click on removing the actual action of clicking.

This requires writing a macro and assigning that macro to a keybind.

What you want to do is easily achieved in any game that supports macros.

Most Turret RPG MMOs use this but it's not really a suitable playstyle in most MMORPGs that very few players have adapted to.

It looks as though Bioware doesn't want to support macros. Yet.

They may believe that it's unfair to start new mmo gamers on a whole new genre at an extreme unawareness, especially in pvp.

Edited by DarkInsidious

Bioware should remove the mouse altogether. It's just a crutch for bads, and anyone who supports the use of a mouse to select targets (either by clicking or aiming a reticle) is just a whiner who wants the game automated.

What's so hard about keyboard turning? And remember when you had to use the arrow keys to tilt your crosshairs up and down? That's how old school pros roll, learn to play.

For me mouseover targeting for healing is important. Being in an Operation with 16 people and its your job to keep them all alive, its very useful to be able to hover over the raid frame and simply press a button to heal that person.

What you dont want to get into is having to click on the mouse button to select the player before casting the healing spell. For one person its not a problem, but when you have to heal 4 people at the same time having to press the mouse button 4 times AND cast 4 times means it takes a lot longer to get those heals out (group healing spells aside).

Remember the old CH heal rotations from Everquest?!? Oh my word...

I agree, stepping out of your comfort zone and trying things that feel different can make you an even better healer. Healing these days requires practically no skills... when you do have them; however, you stand out amongst many.

I would rather the community have access to whatever tools they need to make healing alittle more versatile so this way when im looking for a healer, I dont have to wait forever because only a skilled few know how to adapt to the limited Healing tools provided.

I could careless if someone is a pro healer or a noob healer aslong as they can keep the group alive. This isnt Guildwars 2 where individuals place soul responsibility of thier own lives in thier own hands. This is a Holy Trinity system and by limiting healers there will be longer que times for flash points and even longer times forming a group for operations let alone recruiting will be a task.

why would anyone want to learn to heal if its so difficult when its easier to roll a DPS or Tank... Im going to try to heal in SWTOR because I was an effective healer in WoW, my hands are smaller so reaching keys is difficult for me so I depended on Healbot (mouseoverhealing) sometimes physical limitations play a factor not just unwillingness to learn.

From what ive been reading on the forums there is already a sortage of healers so why not open up some more flexiability for healers so we can start filling those rolls.

And before anyone asks LoL im not a kid im 32 its just for whatever reason i have stubby fingers, im all palms hahaha yes feel free to laugh im one of those people who cant play guitar eather because i cant reach the last string chord.

Edited by Hellspawnxxx

I would rather the community have access to whatever tools they need to make healing alittle more versatile so this way when im looking for a healer, I dont have to wait forever because only a skilled few know how to adapt to the limited Healing tools provided.

I could careless if someone is a pro healer or a noob healer aslong as they can keep the group alive. This isnt Guildwars 2 where individuals place soul responsibility of thier own lives in thier own hands. This is a Holy Trinity system and by limiting healers there will be longer que times for flash points and even longer times forming a group for operations let alone recruiting will be a task.

In a perfect world, pro healers and noob healers would keep their groups alive equally and there would not be any way to distinguish them apart...

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Some people are simply out of their elements when it comes to healing. Just the same as few people make excellent tanks. People have individual and different skill sets that make them unique on how they play and what they bring to a raid or group. Which happens to be in your case. Which happens to be in my case. I'm a petite female that cannot reach the extent of my keyboard w/o moving my hand... however; I have learned to adapt.

Not every class is made for everyone; if you have difficulty playing one... play another. We can not expect everything to be made easy for us every time someone is experiencing difficulty adapting.

Sure, mouseover healing is makes healing very easy. Has lots of benefits... especially for raid healers. The fact is, that was in wow. Everyone has moved on and are about to switch game , right? Do it feet first and embrace the new game, folks. Everyone wants a new game but refuses change.

You make good with what you have. Life gives you lemon; you make lemonade yadiyadiyada...

Edited by Kukura

Why need click healing in a group? I can see it in a raid/op, but for the group F1-4 is RIGHT next to 1-9. If anything it's faster than click healing if you know what you are doing. Actually if anyone knows how to set ALT + 1-9 to the secondary bar it would be much appreciated, I hate clicking :p

i agree there mate, i was hoping this game would support addons or something similar to wow were we could have addons to improve stuff, but the mouseover idea is a must i find it easier to heal with it as i have done in wow in a hardcore guild

Sure, mouseover healing is makes healing very easy. Has lots of benefits... especially for raid healers. The fact is, that was in wow. Everyone has moved on and are about to switch game , right? Do it feet first and embrace the new game, folks. Everyone wants a new game but refuses change.

You make good with what you have. Life gives you lemon; you make lemonade yadiyadiyada...

Click healing is not new. It's "standard" in every MMO. However, it sucks. Just like the default keybindings, you would be really upset if you couldn't rebind your keys. The default keybindings simply sucks. Mouseover healing is not trivializing anything, it's simply a tool you use to become more fluid in your gameplay, and enjoy it more. Also the reason you use Focus Target casting to focus interrupt on for example an opposing healer in PvP. It's a tool.

In a perfect world, pro healers and noob healers would keep their groups alive equally and there would not be any way to distinguish them apart...

This sounds like a special sort of hell where people get sent if they let their kids play on soccer teams who didn't keep track of goals.

^

lmao, <3 the analogy :D

I totally agree with the mouse over healing feature, don't think I don't. I found myself cussing a few times during beta wishing for it... however, I'm the type of person that likes to make it work regardless of obstacles ;)

I have no issues as an experienced healer in many games, point click, mouse over whatever they want. The real problem with point and click here is location of party in UI. If you want me to point and click fine, please keep me from having to move on screen such a distance. If you point and click, please allow the party grouping to move closer to middle of screen.

I am a physical therapist in RW, and point and click healing here and the distance to move from one side to other, does add up on the hand, forearm, wrist. Move or allow the UI for party to be moved to where it works for us, and all is good:).

I've healed in plenty of games without mouseover or click-to-cast functionality, including this one (up to level 30 in the beta). It's absolutely possible. But it's like stepping into a timewarp and going back to when I played FFXI or in Vanilla WoW before I got the hang of how to use addons.

Mouseover / Click-to-cast is simply a convenience. An alteration of controls. It's not necessary, but it's still greatly appreciated for those of us who prefer it. It's kind of like the difference between those who like controllers in FPS, and those who like mouse-and-keyboard. It's just a different control scheme. The people with the mouse-and-keyboard aren't cheating in order to be better than those who use controllers, or vice-versa.

Really? You cannot heal without it?

Its like that one extra little click is too much for some people...

I am going to have to agree with Nakemi...For YEARS before 2.0 or 3.0 in wow, i healed "the old fashioned way". Yes, i will admit that now i am spoiled and almost cannot go back to previous methods but i really feel that its the way it was meant.

I am more or less excited that i get a second chance at a good MMO with swtor. I plan to use this good game wisely.