Star Wars: The Old Republic Official Podcast Episode II

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hello everyone! My name is Eric Musco and I, along with Brooks Guthrie are happy to bring you episode two of the official Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ podcast, “Nightmare Mode”. You can listen by using the embedded player, by downloading and listening on your preferred MP3 player, by subscribing and listening on iTunes or check it out on our

In episode two, we sit down with Jesse Sky and George Smith to talk about the design philosophy behind some of our existing Operations and what the future of Operations and Flashpoints looks like for SWTOR, including Nightmare mode. We also talk with William Wallace about some of the great new character perks that you can unlock through the Legacy system now that Game Update 1.3 is live.

Thanks for listening!

Read More

Edited by CourtneyWoods

I like these, but it sounded like this was recorded before 1.3 came out. That sort of kills the buzz and excitement of hearing about something new, because it's not new any more. Wouldn't it be better for business to release something like this a week before 1.3?

I like these, but it sounded like this was recorded before 1.3 came out. That sort of kills the buzz and excitement of hearing about something new, because it's not new any more. Wouldn't it be better for business to release something like this a week before 1.3?

That was my thoughts exactly. Exhortations to play on the PTS are kinda moot if the podcast doesn't release till after the patch. I understand that this was probably a time constraint issue, and goodness knows I'm glad they didn't delay the patch just so they could release a podcast talking about, but something to consider going forward.

Part of me is kinda sad that they're shelving more complex concepts like Soa for the time being, but the other part of me remembers how buggy Soa can be and then I'm not as sad.

I would like to thank the Dev team for mentioning our guild in the podcast, without mentioning our guild name. It was very rewarding to know that you guys were watching our PTS streams for 1.2, and even giving us nudges in the right direction as we were learning the mechanics of those fights. It was also rewarding that the mechanics changed the next few days after our stream conversation with regards to the knockback from Z&T hitting everyone. Again, thanks!

With that said...

While most of the community will thank you for the insight about Nightmare, etc we still don't have an estimation on when it will be released. The state of end game raiding for your selected few guilds that push through progression is pretty bleak because there is a lack of difficult content we can cut our teeth into. Guilds are falling apart as people move onto other games, with several top tier guilds quitting completely and went back to WoW.

If we have to continue to wait months for new content, or even Nightmare content, more guilds will fall to the wayside and you will be left with the handful of guilds to test this content, and a majority of lesser skilled players that will complain the content is too hard. Sorry if anyone finds this offensive, I call it as I see it. All the server merges did was delay the exodus for a little while longer, but unless something is released "soon", or a timeline is released, it will continue to be the downfall in end game raiding.

Yeah the youtube video is borked, it is not the full version. Eric, you guys need to re upload that, and make sure all of it is up. Or is it some youtube account related restrictions?

I'm rather surprised this got buy you considering that you have recorded this weeks ago.

Really great podcast!

Although i'm a little disappointed about the fact this was recorded pre-1.3. All the talk about legacy perks were pretty much useless since, well, we've all seen them ingame now.

I heard the Devs encouraging the players to go into the PTS to test the 1.3 features? I think you guys release this Podcast a bit late, I know it can take some time to get things "approved" in big companies, but try to release the podcast a bit sooner next time.

I haven't listened yet, but I assume it will be Bio-bias opinion coming from the hosts, they are on the payroll after all.

-_- Anyway, moving on....

I agree with everyone else. It would have been nice to release this before the 1.3 patch dropped, maybe the week before. That said, I always enjoy hearing what goes on behind the scenes for the game. I also, can understand that there is a lot going on, but, maybe a more concrete release schedule would be a good idea?

One thing about the legacy perks:

They do not allow you to level a character the way a player wants to at all. The XP perks certainly smooth a bit the levlling curve but certainly not enough to make it so you can level doing only one type of content, and do it as fast as you would by doing the rest too.

BTW it has to be mentioned that while we can now buy 30% Xp increase in WZ it has been reduced by much more in 1.2. So we're not even coming close to where we where before.

Now regarding the Operations and Flashpoint when are we getting something that feels more heroic: like going away from huge boss being ganked by many players? Or tank and spank mechanisms?

Edited by Deewe

While most of the community will thank you for the insight about Nightmare, etc we still don't have an estimation on when it will be released. The state of end game raiding for your selected few guilds that push through progression is pretty bleak because there is a lack of difficult content we can cut our teeth into. Guilds are falling apart as people move onto other games, with several top tier guilds quitting completely and went back to WoW.

If we have to continue to wait months for new content, or even Nightmare content, more guilds will fall to the wayside and you will be left with the handful of guilds to test this content, and a majority of lesser skilled players that will complain the content is too hard. Sorry if anyone finds this offensive, I call it as I see it. All the server merges did was delay the exodus for a little while longer, but unless something is released "soon", or a timeline is released, it will continue to be the downfall in end game raiding.

I agree with this somewhat, seeing as we've had a number of raiders drop off over the past month or so. But I do think Nightmare is the solution and a clearer distinction between gear stats. Also not allowing the same tier of gear from non-raid content as the hardest raid currently in the game would help, since Black Hole Comms have just made the gearing process considerably shorter (I built my entire off-spec set and half of my main spec set with BH comms, sans mainhand). As raid leader I've been running HM EC for the past two months and taken little loot, and that's fine for me, but for most it's about the shiny loot and if it's either not shiny due to being a small upgrade, or the time it takes to get all of it is too short, then problems arise.

Edited by DeimosAmon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...