Sorc Gear Stack

Anosa

I'm playing with around 920 bonus damage, 34-35 % crit (buffed), 75-76 % surge and 1396 expertise as dps (alacrity is somwhere between 8-9).

As heals I'm using tionese gloves/boots with other PvP mods in which I'm sacrificing some crit for power, since I will get +4 % crit from my heal build anyway. That boosts my bonus damage/healing some (innervate does between 2-2,1K on good crits)

I've never been a fan of completely ditching a stat for power but it is possible to do so and boost bonus damage/healing to +1000.

Also, madness is great if you're on a good team, one that allows you to stand back and channel. It is however not ideal in the current enviroment and as a pug. As a pug it's much more beneficial to spec into the Lightning tree and with Effusion. Effusion will allow you to never run out of force and gives you endless up-time. You won't get the madness crits on dots under DF but you will make up for it in the long run. I also find it to be a much better 1 vs 1 spec.

Edited by Washingtoon

The one sorc I saw hitting like 530K in huttball was a Madness Spec full WH (with probly some EWH pieces) preying on the recruit geared people (in our zone, on the overpass or under the little ramp going up).

He was mostly DoTing then LoS. He was a total ***** to kill. I wouldn't call it skill, mostly abuse of LoS. It wasn't like he had found this leet rotation or sweet timing to kill you, or had a knack to get the right angle to get you at an advantage. Just DoT and abuse the LoS under the ramps.

BTW, BioWare should check those out, it's almost impossible to get LoS with someone under the ramp. With my GS, I was trying hard as **** to get LoS, but he'd go under, then right against it (like 1/2 your char is showing above the ramp) and you can't see him from any side. He'd poke out, DoT, then back under when you can't reach. We had 3 people at one time to finally get him with the odd shot.

As for stat choice, I doubt he chose which stat he was slotting in his mods or enhancements. Probably took whatever came in EWH gear and augmented it with Main stat or Power. I'd take so much resources to lets say buy extra pieces of EWH to switch a +Crit mod for a +Pow mod from another piece. You'd have to buy triples and quadruples of pieces. Makes no sense.

TLDR; (ow! my eyes!) They are playing Madness spec.

Sorry to say, but stats alone aren't going to let you hit 1 million damage- check those out, you'll notice they're only done in games where almost nobody dies- the other team likely has 3+ healers and the sorc gets to more or less freecast all game.

If you're looking for optimal stats though-

Willpower is your most important one- I'm sure someone will defend power over WP in terms of augments- but I wouldn't take power over WP ever.

Otherwise-

30% crit (35 with sniper bonus)

75% surge

8% alacrity

If you pve enough to get the armourings- you can switch them from raid gear, but I'd only do campaign or better (also consider your set bonuses).

Once you hit those numbers- WP>power>anything else is pretty much the formula- and remember WP will add to crit so as you get more WP you'll need less crit rating.

That's fairly uniform across the three specs- the only change you'll see argued is for Madness not needing the alacrity- it's more useful for lightning or corruption. Madness only FL will use it- which is a point of contention since FL is most of what you'll be using, and faster means both more damage faster, and more wrath procs...

But, since it doesn't do anything for GCD, crushing's CD or make instant LS any better- if you can stick with just 30 crit, 75 surge, 0 alacrity and manage to get a bit more WP/power out of it, in theory that'd be worth it- in reality though, surge/alacrity tend to be more interchangable, and there's not too much point in stacking up another 10% surge over the alacrity at that point.

tldr-

regardless of spec- 30% crit (35 with sniper buff), 75% surge, 8% alacrity. WP>power. Augment WP. Trade out pvp armourings for campaign+ armourings where possible- in theory don't dip below 1100 exp, but personally I think 1200 is a good spot for dps, 1000 for healing though some say as low as 900.

ultimately though- you won't hit those numbers with gear, or even with good play- you'll hit it when the enemy composition/lack of focusing you allows it.

I play madness sorc for pvp and I was considering just stacking Power and Surge after I've stacked as much Willpower and Endurance.

Is this ok, as the only ability that I really crit on is death field?

You should be critting fairly often with everything.

35% with buffs crit, 75% surge. Look at madness talents- there's good reasons to crit as a dots spec, even more if you're hybrid enough for lightning barrage.

Consider this.

Recklessness- FL, 35+60% crit chance means those FL tics will crit almost every tick.

You don't really stack endurance- it comes with the gear and augments, so just ignore it in the equation.

Once you hit the basic crit/surge/alacrity numbers- I'd suggest stacking WP above all else- keeping in mind you'll need less crit rating as a result, which you can if possible itemize to more power in turn.

First thing to know is the trade off of the stats. This is critical with power and surge with alacrity. You cannot get an enhancement for example that has both critical and power. Alacrity has a bit of use for healers, a bit more use for telekinetics and is pretty useless for balance full/hybrids as your only cast is tk throw. Considering that balance variations are more preferred due to their higher mobility over the tk tree there are 2 builds:

1) The normal build. This follows the general guidelines over diminishing effects, ie. 300 critical then power.

2) The power build. Maximise power (which has a linear effect) and minimise critical. Considering that critical is so low then it is the exception where I would stack some alacrity over surge.

The rest of the builds are a trade off between power and critical.

Look at madness talents- there's good reasons to crit as a dots spec, even more if you're hybrid enough for lightning barrage.

Consider this.

Recklessness- FL, 35+60% crit chance means those FL tics will crit almost every tick.

You do crit every tick cause you get an extra 6% crit from disintegration.

You do crit every tick cause you get an extra 6% crit from disintegration.

Right- in theory only 34% crit would be necessary, though 35% won't hurt for the majority of the time when recklessness isn't up.

I admit I don't play madness- which is why I am also unsure about how vital alacrity is- I mostly hop between corruption, lightning and lightning/corruption hybrid (third being the best sorc pvp spec imo).

Willpower is your most important one- I'm sure someone will defend power over WP in terms of augments- but I wouldn't take power over WP ever.

+1 on this. WP augments over power. For WP augments you gain 0.1 in crit and about 1.5 difference from the power one. If you stack up all of them you gain about 1.4 crit and lose about 21 bonus damage. Obviously if you were playing a power build power augments would be better. but even then I would suggest to invest in WP augments as you migh want to change build at some point.

PS: These were empirical tests of mine at 1.3-1.4.

Edited by MusicRider

Right- in theory only 34% crit would be necessary, though 35% won't hurt for the majority of the time when recklessness isn't up.

I admit I don't play madness- which is why I am also unsure about how vital alacrity is- I mostly hop between corruption, lightning and lightning/corruption hybrid (third being the best sorc pvp spec imo).

The only casting/channeling ability that should be played in madness is FL. An 8% alacrity will make it cast at about 2.8 secs, which means a gain of 0.2 secs, which in turn means you get an extra FL every what, 14 FL? On the other hand surge has a serious diminishing effect. It is a kind of a no win situation here, but I would prefer maximising surge (especially if played with high crit) than alacrity as imo one extra FL every fourteen is not really a serious gain. As a healer (where 0.2 secs might save someone) and lightning where you can benefit from alacrity boost I could see some benefit for it.

PS: Yes forgot forcequake. That would benefit from alacrity but with sages always on the move is not that often cast.

Edited by MusicRider

He was mostly DoTing then LoS. He was a total ***** to kill. I wouldn't call it skill, mostly abuse of LoS. It wasn't like he had found this leet rotation or sweet timing to kill you, or had a knack to get the right angle to get you at an advantage. Just DoT and abuse the LoS under the ramps.

BTW, BioWare should check those out, it's almost impossible to get LoS with someone under the ramp. With my GS, I was trying hard as **** to get LoS, but he'd go under, then right against it (like 1/2 your char is showing above the ramp) and you can't see him from any side. He'd poke out, DoT, then back under when you can't reach. We had 3 people at one time to finally get him with the odd shot.

So using LOS to his advantage is not skill? Sounds exactly like he had a knack for getting the right angle to get an advantage on you and by your above definition he had serious skill at that.

As for stat choice, I doubt he chose which stat he was slotting in his mods or enhancements. Probably took whatever came in EWH gear and augmented it with Main stat or Power. I'd take so much resources to lets say buy extra pieces of EWH to switch a +Crit mod for a +Pow mod from another piece. You'd have to buy triples and quadruples of pieces. Makes no sense.

And then you go on to say the guy "probably" didn't optimize his gear? On what basis did you know this?

Hate to break it to ya, but the best players min/max their gear sets. and guess what....that means exactly buying triples and quadruples of pieces. I must have 7 of the EWH bracers/belts for the mods....