Commando and Powertech, or Mercenary and Vangard?

Terin

Any other opinions/thoughts on the matter? I'm really having a difficult time deciding!

I would go with Vanguard Mercenary. Dual Pistols really fit the Bounty Hunter (especially as a Pyrotech - Arsenal uses them far too little for my taste), while the Assault Cannon of the Commando is so large, clunky, unwieldy that I would never play one myself. Have a look at some fellow Commando players ingame, these impossibly huge blocky pieces on their back - some (the more elegant ones) may look right when drawn, but on their back it looks just... impossible, like they should fall over backwards any moment, or fall off their speeder bikes.

On the other hand, a Vanguard with a blaster rifle looks just right, just the way I would expect a Republic Trooper.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrestled with this same question a few days ago. Ultimately, I decided to go with commando and powertech(when I get back around to playing the Empire side again).

The main reason I decided on this combo is because of the loading to get into the game. The Jace Malcolm is holding an assault cannon and Shae Vizla is a powertech. These two AC's seem to be the most recognized when talking about these two classes.

Another reason I decided on this combo is because I've played both a vanguard and powertech, albeit not to a very high level, and I just liked the powertech's animations more than the vanguard's and did not want to repeat advanced classes.

I would suggest what some others in this thread have said and say play each of them to a certain level and then make your decision. Good luck!

• 9 months later...
Well, I just came back to the game a few weeks ago, and still can't decide which to do... Anyone else care to pitch in? Does either AC have any noticeable different over the other (such as Guardians and Marauders wearing hoods, Sentinels and Juggernauts don't)?

I have a Merc, a Vanguard and a PT. Here's my input.

Firstly, Merc. Aside the dual-wield, you won't be noticing any visual differences from PT. But dual wield can be a pain. Blaster pistols not always come in MH+OH variety, some are for MH only, some for OH only. As such, to find a pair that you like and go well together can be challenging. Fortunately, the new blaster from crime lord's pack goes a long way to alleviate the pain (Black Nebula Blaster) because it looks pretty pimp with Two-Finger's Revenge (which is craftable by Armstech). You won't have such pain as a PT, your offhand isn't visible and basically the shield/generator from Black Talon can last you 'till end-game. So in some ways, PTs are cheaper to "maintain", financially.

Now, Death from Above definitely has a better animation than Mortar Volley, but Cryo Grenade is much much much better looking than its imperial counterpart. Think about the roles you want your chars to have and what abilities you will use most. As a Vanguard i can say that i use and abuse the Cryo grenade much more than on my PT, it's something in my subconscious, perhaps, since both abilities do the same thing, but Cryo looks so awesome i can't wait it to be off the CD so i can use it again. Electro Dart's animation is so meh, i often forget about it entirely (it shares its animation with SI Electrocute and IA Debilitate).

On the other hand, fire animations are somewhat better than the electric animations of the Vanguard. However, if you like these animations, bear in mind that there's no Merc tree that would specialize in Flame Thrower, for instance. However, not only the PT gets a nice Flame Burst animation, but you can actually spec that awesome flame thrower in the Advanced Prototype tree and have a whole spec built around abusing it. However, its animation is deceptive, until i started playing the Vanguard i had no idea about the real angle/spread of the flame thrower, Pulse Cannon has a more intuitive animation. Yet, Flame Sweep has a longer animation than Explosive Surge, and that might be a factor when you're trying to get out an AOE fast (unstealthing some stealther or stopping a multiple cap). So i would say Vanguard animations are somewhat tighter and cleaner than those of a Power Tech, which makes for a more responsive gameplay and as such, more fun. But from that point of view, if you ever think of tanking, i find Jet Boost a lot more tight and responsive than Storm.

Now, on to the Commando, it's the only class in the game that can use Assault Cannon and for that alone it's worth rolling one. You will have little to no competition on that weapon and you will be wielding one bad-arse boy. However, if you ever want to go the healing route, your green ray of health and joy will also bring joy to your enemies while bringing your health down, because it's a giant sign of "HEY GUSY, I'M HERE AND I'M A HEALER !" in pvp. But that is the only drawback. Aside that, there's no reason not to roll a Commando (well, except them being in need of some major buffs in PvP).

Personally, I would go for all of them. I mean, we get 12 char slots, the more the merrier, but if you'd put a gun to my head, i would go Commando and Power Tech.

Choose the Merc and Vangaurd

I agree with this guy:

With a Mercenary, your first character is a healer, which makes things much easier to start off down the path of DPS, but a bit harder to go down the role of a healer. Still, it's dual-wielding, which is pretty sweet and definitely mercenary-esque.

With a Vanguard, you get to wear heavy Stormtrooper-like armor, you get a blaster rifle, and you get to feel like a completely invincible ****** as you take a beating from five guys, stock strike them back to the stone age, then wipe the single bead of sweat that formed on your brow because you didn't know if you could beat the five of them in the time it took you to shove that handful of chips in your mouth. Plus, Storm is pretty seriously cool when you use it.

As a Commando, using a big cannon-like thing is neat and all, but... I don't know, it just seems a bit lacking or something. My commando's only low-level though, so maybe my opinion will change once I get to my favorite mission on Coruscant that gives you your first Stormtrooper-esque armor piece (the moddable white with red stripe / trim chest piece.) And my only experience with a Bounty Hunter was a Powertech bult for tank-spec, which was still cool because of the flamethrower.

I'd say PT and Commando if you plan on healing on either toon. I just can't stand the sound of the Merc basic heal, makes me want to break things. In terms of animations, I agree with one of the other posters: Vanguard feels much more fluid than PT but I think PT just looks that much cooler.

If you plan to DPS on both I'd go Vanguard and Merc. Both Commando and Merc DPS feel like its just more of the same thing, but at least Merc has some noticeable difference in animations.

For me it's Commando and Powertech.

Commando because I believe that what's make a Trooper is its weapon, Powertech because I believe that what's make a Bounty Hunter is its armor with lots of gadgets in it.

PS : I play like you, 8 characters, 8 classes, 8 advanced classes (no mirror)

Edited by Altheran

1. Commando & merc animations are boring no matter what, but mortar volley only looks good with a cannon (plus 1 for commando)

2. Finding matching pistols that you like can be nearly impossible (minus 1 for merc)

3. Electricity coming out of the end of a blaster rifle looks silly (minus 1 for vanguard)

4. Flames, hidden blades, and rocket & hydraulics assisted punches makes for a much more convincing melee class than grenades set off in your own face, butt-striking, & random electricity coming out of an otherwise ordinary rifle (plus three for PT, minus 3 for vanguard)

Totals:

Merc/Vanguard -5

PT/commando +4

PT/commando combo kicks merc/vanguard's ***

This is my personal opinion. I chose the merc and vanguard route, and am regreting it. Here is why.

Merc/Commando. Their dps tree, is spent standing in one place place, casting. This in my opinion makes more sense as a commando. Because, you have that giant assault canon, wich naturaly, would weigh you down. Jango/Boba, were very mobile. And the merc, is wielding two pistols. Also, most of your abilitys as a merc, (the ones used in this tree) are cast from the wrist. The commando, shoots all from the assault canon. So I think commando should be the route you choose.

Powertech/Vanguard. This class, is spent up close and personal. The vanguard is wielding a large assault rifle, and a powertech uses a little pistol. Doesn't it make a little sense to go toe to toe with someone with a small pistol, using one arm, for more mobility, vs the vanguards large clunky assault rifle? And is you go tanking, launching yourself at a target using a jetpack looks alot cooler then the vanguards sprint up to someone.

This is my opinion. Good luck on the choices. And, very sorry for the terrible spelling.

This is my personal opinion. I chose the merc and vanguard route, and am regreting it. Here is why.

Merc/Commando. Their dps tree, is spent standing in one place place, casting. This in my opinion makes more sense as a commando. Because, you have that giant assault canon, wich naturaly, would weigh you down. Jango/Boba, were very mobile. And the merc, is wielding two pistols. Also, most of your abilitys as a merc, (the ones used in this tree) are cast from the wrist. The commando, shoots all from the assault canon. So I think commando should be the route you choose.

Powertech/Vanguard. This class, is spent up close and personal. The vanguard is wielding a large assault rifle, and a powertech uses a little pistol. Doesn't it make a little sense to go toe to toe with someone with a small pistol, using one arm, for more mobility, vs the vanguards large clunky assault rifle? And is you go tanking, launching yourself at a target using a jetpack looks alot cooler then the vanguards sprint up to someone.

This is my opinion. Good luck on the choices. And, very sorry for the terrible spelling.

hehe, you nailed it perfectly man, i started with vanguard then dropped it for a PT + Commando. It's the only way to play Trooper/BH in this game. The mirrors are terrible. Vanguard has hands down the worst class animations in the game.

Though as a mercenary noobs try and attack you in PvP after all the bad press they hear about us being easy to kill and we wipe the floor with them. All those stories about mercenaries being killed by ppl much lower than them is bs. A good player under ur level, sure, but sometimes all the bad press mercs get can be used to their advantage in suprising ways...

Anyway, pick what you want. Im dont play as one, but I know powertechs are good for striking a blow to ppl who think they are invincible with a lightsaber.

• 1 year later...

I have found myself in a very similar situation and was hoping to reopen the discussion on this. A while ago I made a BH Powertech to be my Empire-side tank. I love the Powertech's animations and everything about it, but the BH storyline kinda bored me and I shelved it for a rainy day, anticipating that I would return to it after getting my Agent to 50.

I recently made a Commando, figuring on going with the opposite AC on Republic side, got to around level 18 and deleted it....I couldn't stand the ridiculous assault cannons. They look absolutely impossible strapped to a character's back, they blocked out my character in most cutscenes, and when running/traveling around, I can barely even see my character behind the big stupid thing. The massive higher-level cannons don't inspire much confidence in the class's longevity either.

After deleting the commando, I made a Vanguard. I like the Vanguard's assault rifle so much more than the cannon, and it just feels more like a Trooper to me. Here's where my dilemma comes in...I already have a Powertech, and I don't like to repeat ACs. This would be a non-issue but the Bounty Hunter has the better animations BY FAR. Regardless of AC, the BH animations blow the Trooper's out of the water. I would delete my PT in favor of a Merc, (dual weilding pistols makes more sense to me than a cannon) but I am extremely hesitant to give up the much better animations that the PT has like rocket punch, flame sweep, flame burst, the rocket leap and the wrist-mounted blade. The Vanguard's equivalent of these moves are very bland-looking by comparison and don't have the same "wow" factor. Although the Merc has excellent looking abilities, and still has the almighty death from above, (and tbh, I still prefer the merc animations over the commando) I'm extremely hesitant to delete my powertech.

Ultimately I am caught in a limbo: I favor the Vanguard over the Commando because the rifle looks better to me, the Vanguard looks more like a "clone trooper" than commando, which is a huge part of the appeal, and thus far I like the Trooper's story more than the BH. On the flip side, the Vanguard's animations are already becoming bland to me and some of the abilities make more sense coming from a Commando's cannon than a rifle, but I absolutely loathe the cannons. If I play Commado/Merc, I would likely DPS while questing bust respec heals for flashpoints and endgame content.

So I submit to you my fair SWTOR bretheren...should I delete my Powertech and replace it with a Mercenary, so as to keep the Vanguard? Or keep the Powertech, struggle through Commando using the cannons, but switching to assault rifle when I respec as healer, so as to keep some of the desirable rifle animations?

Sorry for the long post but I greatly appreciate the input!

I have the most silly reasoning.

I loved the look of the assault cannon in the movies, it's about the only thing that is special on the Trooper, so I picked the Commando. With BT3, she looks great so far. I left Rifle is for the Imp Agent and Scoundrel. :)

I wanted Powertech because it sounded like Bao-Dur. Then I found the Pyrotech spec, and that sealed the deal. Love the animations!

Edited by DomiSotto

So I submit to you my fair SWTOR bretheren...should I delete my Powertech and replace it with a Mercenary, so as to keep the Vanguard? Or keep the Powertech, struggle through Commando using the cannons, but switching to assault rifle when I respec as healer, so as to keep some of the desirable rifle animations?

Sorry for the long post but I greatly appreciate the input!

Vanguard has the worst animations in the whole game hands down, no competition. So I'd say Commando and Powertech.

Vanguard has the worst animations in the whole game hands down, no competition. So I'd say Commando and Powertech.

But I like my Vanguard animations...

Then again, my favourite weapon in the SW universe is the Arc Caster (Try block a huge barrage of lightning with a puny lightsaber Mr Jedi) so that probably influenced my decision.

Personally I would do anything to avoid using the BFG.

I went with Mercenary and Vanguard. Mercenary is amazing and was my first level 50 character. My Vanguard is stuck somewhere in his 30s, i forget exactly. I'd probably enjoy the Commando more... but... BFG. No thanks.

If there was more choice in weaponry then i'd be a lot less restricted in what classes i'd play.

Personally I would do anything to avoid using the BFG.

I went with Mercenary and Vanguard. Mercenary is amazing and was my first level 50 character. My Vanguard is stuck somewhere in his 30s, i forget exactly. I'd probably enjoy the Commando more... but... BFG. No thanks.

If there was more choice in weaponry then i'd be a lot less restricted in what classes i'd play.

You can play a Commando with a Rifle, if you really want to. There's not a huge difference in effectiveness. Though I have to see my Commando with body size 3 looks fine with her Assault Cannon.