Over-Priced GTN Items

RPetrelli

This post is to address the ongoing problem in the SWTOR MMO of people overpricing items on the GTN. The specific items for today's discussion are Revan's Gloves (currently priced on the GTN at 15 million credits the last time I checked) and Revan's Belt (40 million on gtn the last time I checked). Now, doing the math here, it costs no less than 80 dollars worth of Cartel Coins to be able to to afford a Hypercrate at current market price. If a hypercrate sells at an average of optimistically, 4.5 million credits, a player would then have to buy 4 hypercrates, selling all of them for 4.5 million each just to be able to afford Revan's gloves. That comes to a pricetag of 320 dollars. for Revan's belt, it would cost them 10 hypercrates for 45 million creds. That's 800 dollars just to be able to get that one item! Let's find a way to sel these items for a more reasonable price.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At those prices, the items will almost certainly fail to sell. That said, if someone does buy them at those prices, then more power to the seller.

There are plenty of (purely cosmetic) things in this game that I want and, yet, I will never be able to acquire. That's okay. It means I just won't have those things, and my game will go on, none the poorer for it.

This post is to address the ongoing problem in the SWTOR MMO of people overpricing items on the GTN. The specific items for today's discussion are Revan's Gloves (currently priced on the GTN at 15 million credits the last time I checked) and Revan's Belt (40 million on gtn the last time I checked). Now, doing the math here, it costs no less than 80 dollars worth of Cartel Coins to be able to to afford a Hypercrate at current market price. If a hypercrate sells at an average of optimistically, 4.5 million credits, a player would then have to buy 4 hypercrates, selling all of them for 4.5 million each just to be able to afford Revan's gloves. That comes to a pricetag of 320 dollars. for Revan's belt, it would cost them 10 hypercrates for 45 million creds. That's 800 dollars just to be able to get that one item! Let's find a way to sel these items for a more reasonable price.

if you don't think its reasonable..don't buy it. Credits are free and fairly easy to come by. Hypercrates are not the only way of getting credits (and 4.5 mil is actualy fairly cheap for a hypercrate given the 1000:1 ratio). A person can ask for any price they want, doesn't mean it will sell at that.

If you see one for 15mil, the ones listed for 3-5 million probably sold already. Item is rare, and hard to find, it probably cost that many hypercates before he was even able to find one and is hoping to get something out of it (in form of credits).

Its not up to you or anyone else (bioware for sure) to tell me or anyone else who much (or how little) we should list something for on the GTN. That is the greatness that is a FREE market. I am free to list any items for what I want, you are free to not purchase that item.

funny how that works out for everyone.

Why do people make these posts?

'Cause they want "item X" but can't afford/don't to pay the price.

The problem would be solved if people stop selling items at ridiculous prices that no one in their right mind would pay for.

/thread.

The "problem" does not even exist, so no "solving" required. If you want it, buy it if you can afford it. If you can't, get the creds. If you don't want to bother to get the creds, you obviously don't want the item that badly.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Why do people make these posts?

because they feel the need to dictate the actions of others.

i.e. One set of people thinks certain "things" are bad, does not partake in them. But goes about his/her business as usual and if asked will answer honestly. Other set feels "things" are bad, feels the need to tell everyone they are bad, tell everyone NOT to do those "things" and demands that others require those "things" be outlawed or otherwise prevented.

*insert action/practice/belief, etc. for "things"

I love numb nuts that talk about free markets in games.

ummm ok.. what about me talking about "free market" makes me a 'dumb nut".

feel free to point out anything that I said that was wrong or untrue. Also feel free to state how it would be "better" to do it some other way.

also think that was a rather blatant personal attack for no reason. I simply stated a fact and was jumped on as a "dumb nut" I am neither dumb..nor a nut thank you very much.

The "problem" does not even exist, so no "solving" required. If you want it, buy it if you can afford it. If you can't, get the creds. If you don't want to bother to get the creds, you obviously don't want the item that badly.

Well, that's just your own personal opinion. Thank you for sharing it with us.

And in my opinion, no one is going to spend their time just getting 40m+ credits, especially in a game that has many casual players, just to get one item.

ummm ok.. what about me talking about "free market" makes me a 'dumb nut".

feel free to point out anything that I said that was wrong or untrue. Also feel free to state how it would be "better" to do it some other way.

also think that was a rather blatant personal attack for no reason. I simply stated a fact and was jumped on as a "dumb nut" I am neither dumb..nor a nut thank you very much.

Ya, what a turd, no? Just calls you down for absolutely no reason. Well, I guess the reason was so that he could feel good about himself.

On topic though. I've resubbed for a few short months now, and without trying to make credits I have about 10 mil. If there was an item I wanted and it was 50 mil I could play with credits in mind and gain that amount in short order.

It's called supply and demand. It's called a player economy. It's called not getting everything you want in the universe for free because you are entitled to every whim that flutters across your pea-brain. <-- I can be a hostile idiot too.

Edited by VulgarMercurius

Ya, what a turd, no? Just calls you down for absolutely no reason. Well, I guess the reason was so that he could feel good about himself.

On topic though. I've resubbed for a few short months now, and without trying to make credits I have about 10 mil. If there was an item I wanted and it was 50 mil I could play with credits in mind and gain that amount in short order.

It's called supply and demand. It's called a player economy. It's called not getting everything you want in the universe for free because you are entitled to every whim that flutters across your pea-brain. <-- I can be a hostile idiot too.

have to be used to it at some point on these forums, least you get sucked into the depths and start fighting back.

Well, that's just your own personal opinion. Thank you for sharing it with us.

It's not my opinion that it's not a problem, it's not a problem. As stated, if you want it, get the creds and buy it. If you won't do that, then you obviously don't want it that badly.

And in my opinion, no one is going to spend their time just getting 40m+ credits, especially in a game that has many casual players, just to get one item.

The particular price in this case is probably not a realistic price. It's a mistake or a joke or temp storage or a gold buyer receiving creds. But if it does happen to sell for 40 mil, then it is obviously worth 40 mil to someone.

And if you think there aren't plenty of players who can spend 40 mil on an item, you don't know much about working the GTN or the in-game economy.

It's not my opinion that it's not a problem, it's not a problem. As stated, if you want it, get the creds and buy it. If you won't do that, then you obviously don't want it that badly.

Again, it's your opinion that it's not a problem.

The particular price in this case is probably not a realistic price. It's a mistake or a joke or temp storage or a gold buyer receiving creds. But if it does happen to sell for 40 mil, then it is obviously worth 40 mil to someone.

Then I wish the seller the best of luck if it's a genuine sale

And if you think there aren't plenty of players who can spend 40 mil on an item, you don't know much about working the GTN or the in-game economy.

I guess it's your opinion that you think I don't know much about the in game economy. And I do think there aren't a lot of people who have ever had 40m credits in total at once in this game.

And you know a lot about the GTN and the in game economy?

Again, it's your opinion that it's not a problem.

It's your opinion that it's merely my opinion. You're wrong, but that's OK.

I guess it's your opinion that you think I don't know much about the in game economy. And I do think there aren't a lot of people who have ever had 40m credits in total at once in this game.

Thus demonstrating that in fact you do not know much about the in-game economy.

And you know a lot about the GTN and the in game economy?

Yes. The GTN is a mini-game I enjoy, so I spend a lot of time working it.

Edited by branmakmuffin

First there are people that like "trolling" putting item overpriced too much:

revan mask at 1.000.000.000 to show hay dude I have the mask, you suks.

so the way is /ignore

Second there are people that like the risk and make some good money, last time I buy some item at 150k and selled it for 500 each one month later.

Third there are people that lower the price with no sense. I have bought the scout from CM for 50k selled back for 5milion

Fourth there are people the put item in GTN with super low price... vial of isotope at 79k and people sell some of them for 74k... this is with no sense, sell it for 78.9k no? People still buy them.

Personally i have disgust for the fourth type of person... they are really stupid.

First there are people that like "trolling" putting item overpriced too much:

revan mask at 1.000.000.000 to show hay dude I have the mask, you suks.

so the way is /ignore

Second there are people that like the risk and make some good money, last time I buy some item at 150k and selled it for 500 each one month later.

Third there are people that lower the price with no sense. I have bought the scout from CM for 50k selled back for 5milion

Fourth there are people the put item in GTN with super low price... vial of isotope at 79k and people sell some of them for 74k... this is with no sense, sell it for 78.9k no? People still buy them.

Personally i have disgust for the fourth type of person... they are really stupid.

well the majority of your group are those that may not understand the rarity or credit value of their item, or do not care and are trying for a quick turn around (quick small profit compared to a maximizing profit but longer wait).

this is the power of the free market. Someone lists a rare/expensive item cheap, people who speculate buy those items, and then relist at higher prices. people get their quick profit, speculators get theirs later on. win win.

Do you not think that saying they disgust you is a little bit over the top? There's lots of things in life that disgust me - people selling things for odd prices in a virtual world is not one of them.

On topic - my gunslinger is only at level 36 and already making a decent amount of money. If I want to buy anything in game I could. I just have to save for it, like I would in the real world.

Do you not think that saying they disgust you is a little bit over the top? There's lots of things in life that disgust me - people selling things for odd prices in a virtual world is not one of them.

On topic - my gunslinger is only at level 36 and already making a decent amount of money. If I want to buy anything in game I could. I just have to save for it, like I would in the real world.

Yeah of course is over the top ;) i was just saying :D

I can also buy most of the thing, i have near to 60% of the whole collection and never spend a CC.

This is not the point, I think people have to sell better on the GTN

You're making your credits the wrong way if you're turning irl $ into them.

15 million credits is chump change. For many, it's less than a day's GTN sales.

The other response, as has often been stated in this thread, is that if you cannot afford a thing or believe that thing is not worth its asking price, you have entirely within your control the solution. Don't buy it.

Do you write to Ferrari to ask them to drop the prices on their cars to $20,000? Do you write to Gulfstream to ask them to drop the prices on their jets to $50,000? How about writing to Lürssen to ask them to drop the price of a nice custom yacht to an affordable $500,000?

No?

Why not?

I have read all of the posts here and I disagree with soem things. I don't want to dictate anyone's actions and I AGREE with anyone being able to sell for whatever price they want. I do NOT agree with: People do not have an equally fair chance to acquire the items in question. The only way to get the items at this time in game would be to waste an absurdly large amount of real world money to even have an equally fair chance at the item. The item should be available to be acquired in game some how or to be able to be purchased somehow in the game, but simply should not be only acquireable by having to pay someone (another player) an amount of money they do not deserve. Just make the items more readily available. I am putting the hate-bomb comments out of my mind here and focusing on the real problem at hand.