Next two playable races

Lyrinna

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.

I would urge you to reconsider this. A lot of people don't actually care about the dialogue, and just want to play something interesting and unique. Certain mechanics will affect everyone, but a playable species that makes a portion of the population very happy, and doesn't interest the rest could still work. The only real question is just how many players would be interested in a species that can't speak basic, I can't answer that. I know some players hear about a near human species, and instantly stop caring. I know a lot of players that would have mad respect for this game for doing some less likely species.

I only ask that you consider that not everyone is going to have a strong negative reaction to this prospect.

I would urge you to reconsider this. A lot of people don't actually care about the dialogue, and just want to play something interesting and unique. Certain mechanics will affect everyone, but a playable species that makes a portion of the population very happy, and doesn't interest the rest could still work. The only real question is just how many players would be interested in a species that can't speak basic, I can't answer that. I know some players hear about a near human species, and instantly stop caring. I know a lot of players that would have mad respect for this game for doing some less likely species.

I only ask that you consider that not everyone is going to have a strong negative reaction to this prospect.

I am with Rylorn here. Afterall, if we can sit patiently through Blizz babbling through a bajillion companion conversations, a few 'Oota Goota's' from a Rodian or growls from a Wookie PC (these are examples), aren't going to kill us.

What SWTOR really needs to do is make your race matter. Right now it's just a different hue to human, and that's not going to change no matter how many near humans they add.

What they need to do is give the races abilities, stat bonuses, and crew skill perks. That would make your choice matter.

My top choice is Rodian, they are human shaped, their heads aren't too strange, and they are already in the game. My question to Bioware is "Do rodians speak basic?" In Jedi Academy you can play as a rodian and you speak basic, but in SWTOR I have not seen any rodians that speak basic. :rod_rodian_g: Edited by Jtrop

The species I would most want to play are the Nautolan followed by the Togruta. Both are seen frequently throughout the game already (Togruta even as a companion already!) I would really love to see more alien species enter the game seeing as right now Chiss are my favorite to play.

• 1 month later...
I predict Voss (neutral) and Cathar (Republic) as the next two playable species.

Voss really wouldn't work, though. The whole point of Voss is that you are an "outsider" to them. You have to earn their trust and respect. How screwy would it be if a Voss went to Voss and they were all "You are not Voss!"

The more I think about it, the more I'd like Nautolans. It would take some work to program, but you could have all kinds of different "styles" with their head tentacles, much more so than you could with Togruta.

We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.

Well we know some races can learn to speak basic, you could even have it as an option to chose to speak your native tounge or basic, im sure races like wookies could speak through some kind of translator for an example. I personaly wouldnt mind talking in my native tounge if it was part of my race simply for immersion, cos at the end of the day we listen to enough aliens talking none basic and thats why subtitles were invented.

Voss really wouldn't work, though. The whole point of Voss is that you are an "outsider" to them. You have to earn their trust and respect. How screwy would it be if a Voss went to Voss and they were all "You are not Voss!"

It might work the same way as playing a Dark Elf in Morrowind did; yes, you were of their race, but you were not of their culture, and you constantly gave yourself away as an outsider by not following subtle social conventions. Easy to retcon.

Eh... it might be better to let the players decide what annoys them and what doesn't. I'm sure many people wouldn't mind wookie noises at all if given the chance

Eh... it might be better to let the players decide what annoys them and what doesn't. I'm sure many people wouldn't mind wookie noises at all if given the chance

I would rather be constantly tortured with ungnaught quieks than having to endure wookiee barks for a minute :)

But then again, I also do not acknowledge wookiees as a sentient species worth more than wump rats :)

• 5 months later...

Well i would like yoda's race or something like that. While i know it would be very difficult to do, i would like a race that has a different stature than our current human types. A short one would be a good start.

I would love Jawa and Ewok aswell... but if they must speak basic, yoda's race is the only option i see.

For the same body types we already have... Kaleesh, Voss, Mon calamari. Its unlikely i would create a new toon with the same builds we already have though.

Edited by Nemmar

Well i would like yoda's race or something like that. While i know it would be very difficult to do, i would like a race that has a different stature than our current human types. A short one would be a good start.

I would love Jawa and Ewok aswell... but if they must speak basic, yoda's race is the only option i see.

For the same body types we already have... Kaleesh, Voss, Mon calamari. Its unlikely i would create a new toon with the same builds we already have though.

Yodas species is not an option.

I do literally wake up from nightmares at times, when I see a group of Yoda-species dressed in dancer outfits, colored in bright pink, dancing to a party droid, while a group of Wookiee and Ewok stand guard and perform the salute emote.

Some species should never be in the hands of the players and Yodas is definitely one.