RARE limited schematics?

SephiousTheRed

Just a question...a good while ago there was talk about having some schematics being very rare and limited on the server. Recently i haven't heard anything about those and was wondering if they were still gonna be in game?

As a crafter i thought this was a good idea...it would give dedicated crafters a name on the server. Something extra for the time spent, rather than just a maxed out craft, we could make very rare or even one of a kind items on the server and be known for it....having people seek us out.

Edited by SephiousTheRed

But then having to wait for a single RL person to log on to get an item?

Obviously, BW wouldn't make them a necessary commodity, but even for "luxury" goods that strikes me as a bad idea.

Mind you, I'm a fan of crafting skills in MMOs, but I hesitate to actually limit the availability of a schematic to the first person to get it.

I like the idea implemented thus far, that being a 'dedicated crafter' means spending the time on the crafting/REing, and getting the upgraded schematics---having even more rare schematics drop from Reverse Engineering would be great, but only if they aren't limited per server. Rather, they could simulate that scarcity (at first) by simply having a large number of Super-Rare schematics that drop very, very rarely (I'm not sure what math would actually be appropriate, but, say, REing a purple has a chance to drop a Super-Rare that is 1/100th or 1/1000th the chance of getting a purple from REing a blue).

Eventually, all the 'rare' schematics would be available on the server, but they'd still always be more rare than others.

I believe the route BW went was with schematics dropping from mission quests. Also some of the videos I've seen of boss kills from operations has shown schematics dropping as well. I don't think they went with availability being limited just the chances of the drop/reward being low.

You can go into the Outlaw's Den and get the Schematic there. It'll be rare and limited if you decide to camp the vendor ;)

Edit: In all seriousness, I do remember something said about that. Believe it was DE that mentioned something about being one of the few to have a certain schematic for a Master Crafter. Can't remember which interview it was though.

Believe they also said something about crafting crits?

Edited by Celwinn

There's no way they could limit recipes per server simply because they can't control how much that character will be available to others and whether they even continue playing. Imagine if someone got all the rare Armormech patterns then decided they liked their Jedi Knight character better and never logged their 'mech back on?