An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Vaapad

Aurbere

"I created Vaapad to answer my weakness: it channels my own darkness into a weapon of the light."- Mace Windu creator and master of Vaapad

Not to be confused with the Vaapad creature indigenous to the moons of Sarapin, the Form of Vaapad is a variation of Juyo, created by Mace Windu and Sora Bulq. The following is an excerpt from a transmission Mace Windu sent to Masters Mundi and Kolar...

Ki-Adi Mundi, you are aware that for me, Vaapad is...personal. To Agen Kolar, I shall explain.

I developed Vaapad to answer my own weakness, and channel my inner darkness into a weapon of the light. To use Vaapad, a Jedi must give himself over to the thrill of battle, enjoying the fight and the satisfaction of winning. A Jedi must also accept and embrace the fury of his opponent. This transforms a Jedi into half of a superconducting loop, the other half being the power of darkness, which passes in and out of the Jedi without touching him.

Vaapad is more than a fighting style. It is a state of mind, a path that leads through the penumbra of the dark side.

It is also not meant for any Jedi without my approval.

The form of Vaapad was meant to expand upon a Juyo and allow a Jedi to use their inner darkness as a weapon for the light. The form is dangerous for those who cannot control themselves, Mace Windu and Depa Billaba being the only ones to use Vaapad successfully. When co-creator Sora Bulq attempted to use it, his darkness to control, and he was a slave to his emotions and his inner darkness. Mace Windu withholds the study of Vaapad from all Jedi unless he deems them capable of handling it.

Vaapad's strength comes in when fighting users of the Dark Side. It acts as a siphon, taking in the Dark energy and using it to empower the Vaapad user. This forms an infinite loop until the duel ends. This is the one of the reasons that Mace Windu defeated Darth Sidious in battle. The Sith Lord's immense Dark Side energies greatly increased Mace Windu's combat abilities, at this time Mace Windu gave himself completely to the fight, his body going through the movements of the battle, but even then Mace believed that he could only fight the Sith Lord to a stalemate.

The Vaapad form shares only one weakness with Juyo: the possibility of giving in to emotion. Vaapad effectively increased that possibility as the form relies the most on the darkness inside the user. This is why Mace Windu withholds the form from those deemed unable to handle it.

Known Masters: Mace Windu

Here's Juyo if you missed it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=546233

By popular demand, the next thread discusses Jar'Kai.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them here or PM me.

This next to Djem So is my favorite form. If I were a jedi I would probably try to learn this, though only after learning some of the other forms.

Vaapad is a really cool form, but incredibly difficult to master. It requires mastering your emotions and being able to resist the Dark Side. It would be a powerful form to learn, if someone was capable of mastering themselves as well as the form.

Vaapad is a really cool form, but incredibly difficult to master. It requires mastering your emotions and being able to resist the Dark Side. It would be a powerful form to learn, if someone was capable of mastering themselves as well as the form.

It would be tough and I can see why certain jedi weren't allowed to learn it. Also, did the New Jedi Order recover this form, or was it lost?

It would be tough and I can see why certain jedi weren't allowed to learn it. Also, did the New Jedi Order recover this form, or was it lost?

I'm not sure. I think the information on the form was recovered, but I don't think any learned it. I'll have to do some research real fast.

EDIT: The information on Vaapad survived the Jedi purge and was preserved by the New Jedi Order. So I don't think anyone else learned it.

Edited by Aurbere

I'm not sure. I think the information on the form was recovered, but I don't think any learned it. I'll have to do some research real fast.

EDIT: The information on Vaapad survived the Jedi purge and was preserved by the New Jedi Order. So I don't think anyone else learned it.

Well that is good though to bad no one else learned.

Luke learned it. :p But then hes Luke so...ya.

Well that is good though to bad no one else learned.

It is a shame no one else learned it. It's a good form, but it is dangerous for those who can't control it. Sora Bulq was a co-creator of Vaapad and it still took control of him. Dangerous form to learn, but if you can master it, you can be a real weapon against the Dark Side.

It is a shame no one else learned it. It's a good form, but it is dangerous for those who can't control it. Sora Bulq was a co-creator of Vaapad and it still took control of him. Dangerous form to learn, but if you can master it, you can be a real weapon against the Dark Side.

Very true, some people can't handle it. And of course Luke would be able to learn it.

Very true, some people can't handle it. And of course Luke would be able to learn it.

Luke would be one of the few who could handle it. I don't think even most Sith could use it without becoming a slave to the Darkness inside them. There's a difference between using the Dark Side and the Dark Side using you. While the Sith and the Dark Side have a sort of symbiotic relationship, they maintain some measure of 'freedom'. If they were to lose themselves to Vaapad, they would become true slaves to the Dark Side.

Out of the new jedi order here are the jedi i think could handle it.

Jaina Solo, surprising she didn't use it to begin with.

Luke, ofcourse

Kyp Durron. Name another person who has had brushes with the darkside like him?

Jaden Korr. Considering how many times he's danced on the razor, form would suit him

Kyle Kataarn: IMO i think he uses this form anyways.

Out of the new jedi order here are the jedi i think could handle it.

Jaina Solo, surprising she didn't use it to begin with.

Luke, ofcourse

Kyp Durron. Name another person who has had brushes with the darkside like him?

Jaden Korr. Considering how many times he's danced on the razor, form would suit him

Kyle Kataarn: IMO i think he uses this form anyways.

I think people who have had brushes with the Dark Side and learned how to control their emotions would do well with Vaapad. But there is always that danger of falling to the Dark Side, even Mace Windu had that danger. It really depends if they have mastered their emotions, and not the other way around.

Great job as always, Aurbere :)

Btw, I have ideas for future articles. What do you think of combat techniques like Dun Moch and Sokan?

Cold even to Teras Kasi, Echani hand to hand style [imperial guards used it], K'thri, and there are a few others.