Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALEX!

2.4 looks awesome! But I have a few concerns.

- Will 8v8 still exist for non-ranked?

- I solo grinded like 14 pieces of EWH to min/max my character, only to have the Expertise removed and made useless for open world PvP. Will the next tier of PvP gear be the last for a while? Please don't ask me to grind another set in 6 months time.

- Please lower the cost of individual Mods by about 300 commendations. Right now they cost the same as pieces containing both Armoring and Mods with Enhancements.

Edited by ELECTRICJUDGMENT

Of course! We are going to pay close attention to what builds and classes players are leaning towards and away from on PTS. If something comes up we will take appropriate action.

Just wanted to point out that the ONLY was this is even remotely possible is with CHARACTER TRANSFER to PTS. The last (as many as I can remember now) PvP 'testing' patches on PTS have had zero players able to do any testing. The only way you can "pay close attention to what builds and classes players are leaning towards' is to allow players to bring current characters over. Otherwise you have what you had for Alderan Civil War testing... NO Q's....

ALEX!

2.4 looks awesome! But I have a few concerns.

- Will 8v8 still exist for non-ranked?

Yes, arenas and 8v8 will be mixed in with the regular queue. Ranked however will either be solo only or group only.

My question I was going to ask is somewhat about this and that is will there be any chance to separate 8v8 and arenas in the normal queues if it shows that server populations can handle it?

• Dev Post
My question I was going to ask is somewhat about this and that is will there be any chance to separate 8v8 and arenas in the normal queues if it shows that server populations can handle it?

That is a possibility depending on other factors besides queue population as well, but not promises and definitely no timetable on such a change.

Just reiterating a few questions that I have not seen addressed:

How will you balance the rewards with this 4v4 system to a point that does not encourage trade killing?

Seems like it will be WAY too easy to farm ranked comms by having 2 teams just trade wins back and forth... and with your matchmaking system.. their ratings will go up equally as well, only encouraging it more..

If I am playing a hybrid Sawbones/Dirty Fighting scoundrel, what role am I filling?

Do i still get to play?

Just a hypothetical, I'm sure you guys thought about this, as there are other hybrids out there that float in between two roles.

All I can think of as to why they would be removing 8v8 ranked warzones is that they're concerned that when 4v4s come out, there wouldn't be enough people queing for them because people would still be doing 8v8 rated matches. I just don't think this is a legitimate concern by any means.

What 4v4 arenas will do is provide opportunities for more players to do competitive PvP, not less. If a given server has 10 guilds that may run ranked on any given night, two things would probably happen if 4v4 and 8v8s were both available. First, dozens upon dozens of other players who never could get an 8v8 team together will participate in the 4v4s. Second, of those 10 guilds not every one will be able to que for 8v8 ranked every day, and those which do not will run 4v4 teams.

So, at the end of the day, there is still no real reason as to why 8v8s ought to be removed - at least not one which has been provided.

That is a possibility depending on other factors besides queue population as well, but not promises and definitely no timetable on such a change.

Wait, you mean to tell me that you can only queue for pvp and not choose 8v8 or arenas? You just get to play what bioware decides.

If thats the case you've really hit the nail on the head there and absolutely ruined PVP for the hardcore players. Back to the drawing board

So if I put 4 people together and queue for a regular Q and get an arena match there is a chance I am going against 4 people in solo regular Q and there is no system for them to have a balanced team, aka I could be going up against 4 tanks / 4 heals / 4 dps? Oh joy.

Wait, you mean to tell me that you can only queue for pvp and not choose 8v8 or arenas? You just get to play what bioware decides.

If thats the case you've really hit the nail on the head there and absolutely ruined PVP for the hardcore players. Back to the drawing board

Moreover, this will cause one game-breaking problem that may not have bee considered: people will regularly leave matches which are not of the type they wished to play. When queing for non-ranked PvP, a person who wanted an arena will leave regular matches and vice versa. This will happen in quite nearly every match.

So if I put 4 people together and queue for a regular Q and get an arena match there is a chance I am going against 4 people in solo regular Q and there is no system for them to have a balanced team, aka I could be going up against 4 tanks / 4 heals / 4 dps? Oh joy.

Not the way I read this. Solo Que arena's will (supposedly) be balanced by the matchmaking system by role. The role is determined magically by your spec. There is no hard information here about how this works. Time to hit the PTS on Friday :rak_03:

If your grouped 4 man gets a ranked pop, they could face solo qued groups, but the roles will be balanced by the matchmaking system.

At first I thought that the role based matchmaking system would take care of this... then i re-read the blog post. It only mentions the role based matchmaking when solo queuing ranked...

Ranked Arenas will come in two flavors with Game Update 2.4, Solo and Group. Solo players can queue up for Ranked Arenas and be matched with other players of the same rating to compete in Arenas exclusively; no other Warzone maps are present in this Ranked queue. In addition to being matched by rating the match making system also determines the role of the character (DPS, Tank or Healer) and matches them with an analog of the same rank on the other team. This means that in the Ranked Solo queue you will always have a character of the same role for ones you have! No four healers versus four tanks matches here! We think this is a very exciting feature of the Solo Queue as it allows for team parity and creates better matched, more enjoyable PvP experiences. In Group Ranked Arenas however team composition is up to the group. Group Ranked Arenas will still have matchmaking based off of rating but role parity will not be a requirement

This is specifically talking about RANKED, not regular queue. So yeah, that is going to be possible... absolutely hilarious.

Edited by MeRRR

Moreover, this will cause one game-breaking problem that may not have bee considered: people will regularly leave matches which are not of the type they wished to play. When queing for non-ranked PvP, a person who wanted an arena will leave regular matches and vice versa. This will happen in quite nearly every match.

A very just statement.

8v8 being not played enough? I play it. I love it. So leave it and let those who want to queue 8v8 do it. Where is the problem with that. Communication and strategy is what makes ranked fun.

Ranked on BC has picked up in the last 2 months and you are doing away with our fun community.

At least Separate Arenas and Classic 8v8 Queues. For the love of god dont break the only reason I play this game.

re-read the developer blog.

If you solo or group queue regulars (not ranked) you will not know what type of match you will end up with. Could be 8v8 objective, or regular arenas.

Ranked queues are arena only and include a solo and 4v4 group option.

Only time will tell. I think that making this assertion at this point is probably premature.

alex,

I"m not sure if you already answered my question in another post or if I didn't phrase it correctly, but since it's my primary concern at this point, I'll ask again in a different way:

8v8 WZs are very objective oriented (although in some cases, the objectives didn't really come into play (VS!). Whereas arenas are, by definition, team death match (TDM) -- no objectives in sight other than the glowy end goes in the other man.

My concern is that objective oriented WZs allow for more dynamic and balanced games because they depend more on awareness, teamwork/strategy and smarts than an arena, which emphasizes brute force (output). In other words, TDM caters to FotM classes and play styles that are not necessarily smart but churn out a high numbers (burst).

I'm very concerned that the combination of eliminating 8v8, objective oriented WZs and the existence of exclusively TDM 4v4 maps is going to 1) ostracize a number of ACs/specs that could get by in 8v8; 2) make FotM classes even more desirably than they already are; and 3) punish "team players" in a rated context.

Can you describe what/how you have planned to address these issues? is it feasible to make smaller scale WZs for rated? I want to do rated, but I don't want to FotM, and I don't want to lose out on rateds simply because there are no longer any objectives involved. TDM does away with the "role player," to use a sports analogy.

Edited by foxmob