Parents and Kids playing?

Dragkun

I have 3 sons who are 13, 19, and 21. Every Thursday we log on skype and a character we only use on that day. We talk about real life and have fun playing. Since we are always grouped we have some pretty serious social points lol.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great that so many families play the game together :) I remember playing games with my dad. I'd usually win the fighter games, mortal kombat was my fav, but he would destroy me in all the sports games, lol

My 4 1/2 year old flys my space combat dailies before bedtime, while I'm doing the dishes. Whicih says something about the "accessibility" of the space combat in this game, but that's for another discussion. ;)

I do feel a bit dirty about it sometimes though, in a Chinese gold farming camp taskmaster sort of way. :p

LOL this is awesome :p

I have two kids. One is 20, the other will be 13 soon. Both have accounts. They don't play too often as they prefer console games/XBox Live, but we have a group we level together and they have a pair they play together. They both also played SWG, EQ2, Guild Wars and Champions, and tried out very briefly Conan, Warhammer, WoW and Rift.

Love this thread. In other games I noticed a lot of berating going on if parents let their kids play. Glad to see the opposite in this thread :)

Edited by Lunazen

My dad is the one who got me into MMOs.

It started with my Dad

Then moved to me...

The my mother...

Then my little sister...

Then my littler sister...

Then my older brother (who had been adamantly against MMOs until this one)

We are still working on the cats.

I think it is cute how many parents play with their kids. I've always wanted a family member to play games with but its because of games that I am the black sheep of the family. I think this shows a little light in the world given the state of things families still do things together even if it is gaming

Although I think it's great that so many parents like to play with their kids, I am a bit shocked that so many parents of 13 year olds and younger are handing this game over to their kids.

To me, it all seems a bit much for children...the sex, violence, and genocide, not to mention the disgusting garbage they could be exposed to in general chat. My husband and I play, but only after our kids are in bed. We can't in good conscience let them play this game that has so many adult themes in it...not that my 11 year old hasn't begged us many times.

I am seriously NOT trying to troll anyone or be argumentative when I post this. I refuse to make assumptions about other parents and their skills as parents so please no one go there, lol. I think it's great that people do things as a family, what my question is, do you parents turn off chat for your kids or do you let them have full access to the game?

most people probably consider my views to be a bit paranoid, and that I need to loosen up because they will hear worse stuff in school anyway....to me, that doesn't matter. I'm their mother and as such it's my responsibility to protect them from what I can and teach them right and wrong.

Again, I have no problem or issue whatsoever with other parent's choices to let their kids play this game...I'm just curious about the level of freedom you give them regarding a game like TOR. :D

My son was 9 years old when I came home from class and noticed that he was playing my Diablo II account with his dad. I asked what he was doing...he told me he had just traded for a (at the time rare) Stone of Jordan!

We've been gaming together ever since. All three kids and my (now) ex husband and I all played WOW since launch.

Now I play SWTOR with my youngest daughter, my ex-husband, my fiance, and my guild from WOW!

In response to the question of young children playing the game:

I have found that several scenarios have have allowed us to discuss ethics, the differences in the portrayals of women and men in society,how our decisions affect others, dating/flirting/sexual issues, and many other things I haven't named. Sometimes it makes me amazed how much time my daughter spends before making a decision on how to react or how to conduct herself.

I do keep the profanity chat filter on. And I usually play with her and she is in a guild of people I trust and have known for several years.

Everything can be a learning tool and anytime can be a teaching moment.

Just my two cents. I still think if it makes you uncomfortable, either play with them yourself in order to monitor them or just wait until you are comfortable. Good luck :)

Although I think it's great that so many parents like to play with their kids, I am a bit shocked that so many parents of 13 year olds and younger are handing this game over to their kids.

To me, it all seems a bit much for children...the sex, violence, and genocide, not to mention the disgusting garbage they could be exposed to in general chat. [...] do you parents turn off chat for your kids or do you let them have full access to the game?

Hi :) I can't speak for everyone. Here's my take. My youngest (13 in April) had his first taste of an MMO when he was 7 (SWG). He's dabbled in most of the MMO titles since. I give him total freedom regarding the game. I don't restrict what he can see in chat (although to be perfectly honest, nothing more happens in general chat than LFG these days, at least on my server). But even were that not the case, I would not shield him from it. I would monitor, we would discuss, but I would not restrict.

If memory serves, you had a thread a while back about vulgarity in chat? I could be wrong, but same forum avatar and your name rings a bell. :) Anyway, I'll reiterate what I wrote in that thread regarding the issue: I've been homeschooling since 2000. My first homeschooled kiddo is in college now (20), and my second and last child is almost 13. He's taller than me (nearly 6 feet!), smarter than me, has a voice deeper than his dad's, and has the maturity of a 20 year old (probably because he's been his big brother's shadow all his life). lol. I only say this to illustrate that he's not a little boy anymore.

I allow a relatively relaxed and open exposure to the world, to include (but certainly not limited to) gaming. With a viewpoint that "the world is our classroom," I count anything and everything (within reason) as a learning opportunity. In SWTOR, negative things that arise (not that sex is a negative thing at all.. speaking more of the violence, "genocide," chat, etc.,) serve as topic starters. MMO's especially have been great opportunities for discussions ranging from sociology, psychology, leadership, teamwork, economy... you name it, it's in an MMO.

Regarding sex, it's certainly not like sexytime in SWTOR is at all graphic. Fade to black. He knows what's going on (as he's known since he was 8). No harm in it.

His favorite games are Mass Effect, KOTOR, and Skyrim. He plays Gears of War most nights with his older brother and their friends on XBox Live. Yes, he saws people in half. We've had a nice long chat that he is not to repeat the behavior irl :)

Bottom line for me: I can and do use gaming as a method for teaching him right from wrong. Fantasy is fantasy and people are people. He must learn to distinguish the first from reality and deal with the second regardless of the circumstances.

edited to add: not judging you and your parenting either :) When it comes to the job, there is more than one way to skin a cat (horrible saying but conveys the meaning perfectly)

Edited by Lunazen

I think it is wonderful you allow your children to view everything in game and use it as a learning tool but I have to ask. Will your views on freedom change at all when same sex relationships enter the game? How do you believe your child would react? Thanks for your replies

I play more with my girlfriend's parents than I do with my girlfriend. Do flash points with them all the time. My sister plays as well. We are in a guild run by a mother, her children and in-laws. We are mostly a guild of "Family and Friends" as opposed to "Friends and family."

We have a family run guild on Space Slug, along with a select few friends that are good around our kids. Two of our kids, the wife, and myself play regularly with a perfect tank, heals, 2 dps combo of every class so there's no arguing over loot lol!

Hi :) I can't speak for everyone. Here's my take. My youngest (13 in April) had his first taste of an MMO when he was 7 (SWG). He's dabbled in most of the MMO titles since. I give him total freedom regarding the game. I don't restrict what he can see in chat (although to be perfectly honest, nothing more happens in general chat than LFG these days, at least on my server). But even were that not the case, I would not shield him from it. I would monitor, we would discuss, but I would not restrict.

If memory serves, you had a thread a while back about vulgarity in chat? I could be wrong, but same forum avatar and your name rings a bell. :) Anyway, I'll reiterate what I wrote in that thread regarding the issue: I've been homeschooling since 2000. My first homeschooled kiddo is in college now (20), and my second and last child is almost 13. He's taller than me (nearly 6 feet!), smarter than me, has a voice deeper than his dad's, and has the maturity of a 20 year old (probably because he's been his big brother's shadow all his life). lol. I only say this to illustrate that he's not a little boy anymore.

I allow a relatively relaxed and open exposure to the world, to include (but certainly not limited to) gaming. With a viewpoint that "the world is our classroom," I count anything and everything (within reason) as a learning opportunity. In SWTOR, negative things that arise (not that sex is a negative thing at all.. speaking more of the violence, "genocide," chat, etc.,) serve as topic starters. MMO's especially have been great opportunities for discussions ranging from sociology, psychology, leadership, teamwork, economy... you name it, it's in an MMO.

Regarding sex, it's certainly not like sexytime in SWTOR is at all graphic. Fade to black. He knows what's going on (as he's known since he was 8). No harm in it.

His favorite games are Mass Effect, KOTOR, and Skyrim. He plays Gears of War most nights with his older brother and their friends on XBox Live. Yes, he saws people in half. We've had a nice long chat that he is not to repeat the behavior irl :)

Bottom line for me: I can and do use gaming as a method for teaching him right from wrong. Fantasy is fantasy and people are people. He must learn to distinguish the first from reality and deal with the second regardless of the circumstances.

edited to add: not judging you and your parenting either :) When it comes to the job, there is more than one way to skin a cat (horrible saying but conveys the meaning perfectly)

Ah, thank you for the reply! Yes, that was me who started that thread about not just profanity, but inappropriate subject matter in chat.

Certainly a more relaxed approach to teaching one's child about the world is valid and totally acceptable. Again, I do not judge another parent's methods, I am merely always nosy and tend to ask questions xD. I have to be careful how I word my questions as many times they come off as antagonistic. Not my intention at all. Anyway, I digress. :D

My son is one of those children who is extremely bothered by things that might not faze other children. At times it surprises my husband and I when he comes to us in the middle of the night in tears over something he saw in a movie we took him to. A character died or the injustice of the death upset him so much that he could not sleep. Now, this is always an opportunity to teach him or impress upon him the importance of mercy or fairness or what have you. He is particularly affected when he sees someone bullied or oppressed. And we do always seize that chance to impart some lesson. My point is, some children at THIS tender age are subject to very erratic and unpredictable emotions that certain media or entertainment may only exacerbate.

Now, that is not to say that ALL kids in the tween/pre-teen range are afflicted with such swings in their moods and emotions. I just find that for us, in our house, we have to tread very carefully with our oldest when it comes to the entertainment we allow him to consume. With our second-born son? Pft...we'll likely let him play TOR with restrictions once he gets a bit older just because he's the exact OPPOSITE of his brother and isn't bothered in the slightest by things that would ordinarily send the oldest into my arms in a heap of tears.

I, too, employ many of the same methods of teaching my children as you yourself do, Lunazen....and in all fairness, my husband does a far better job than me when it comes to using all situations as a potential classroom for our kids.

What's funny and ironic is that my HUSBAND'S parents were extremely restrictive and pretty much never allowed he and is siblings ANY freedoms regarding the outside world, entertainment, video games or the like. My husband turned out well-adjusted and laid-back...and virtually the OPPOSITE of his parents. Sometimes I think he's TOO laid-back and permissive with our kids but then I just have to realize his upbringing and try to relax. He helps me to remember to let the kids breathe give them some space and to NOT be like his mother lmao.

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts on this! :D

I think it is wonderful you allow your children to view everything in game and use it as a learning tool but I have to ask. Will your views on freedom change at all when same sex relationships enter the game? How do you believe your child would react? Thanks for your replies

Nope, they won't change at all. He's well aware of homosexuality. He would have no reaction. In a game, he's already been exposed to it via Mass Effect. In the real world, one of his relatives discovered his orientation (which all, including my son, had figured out long before he did for himself) and came out a few years ago. SWTOR would not be the first exposure to the concept :)

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts on this! :D

And thanks for yours! :)

I was a bit of that sensitive child when I was younger. Things affected me emotionally very easily. The opera cartoon with Bugs and Elmer Fudd? Destroyed me when I thought Bugs was dead LOL :p

Sounds like you have great balance in your house :)

Edited by Meluna

We do have the restriction on our 8 and 6 yr olds is that they play Republic (and Jedi only) right now. While I understand you can go dark-side on Republic, it's much, MUCH lighter than the mirror on Empire. As they get a little older, this will obviously change.

We do have the restriction on our 8 and 6 yr olds is that they play Republic (and Jedi only) right now. While I understand you can go dark-side on Republic, it's much, MUCH lighter than the mirror on Empire. As they get a little older, this will obviously change.

That's not a bad idea. Lucky for me my son only likes playing the good guys.

I play with my 29 year old son and his friends. This son and his older brother got me into gaming when UO first came out. Now I am retired and they have small children so grandma will return the favor and try and get their kids involved :)

I have a gigabit ether net prewired house with 9 computers. Each of my kids has a computer and we game allot.

The sexual content and upcoming same sex relationships have me concerned. as a parent I do not feel it is appropriate for younger persons and I can not let my younger kids play.

Outside of that issue I have no issue with my older kids (late teens) and I would also love to get my wife involved. I think what this game needs is a family account.

For $25 set up $5-$10 extra a month per login you can have multiple log ins. only 1 character per login. The account must have a security key and all log ins must use the same key.

This way I can play on my main or an alt and my wife and/or one or more of my kids can create and play an alt on my account at the same time.

Bioware makes extra money, I get my family involved while keeping the game affordable.

Edited by Major_Mayhem