BioWare: Change the final fight please (major spoilers)

Maylander

i Done it at lvl49 just use LoS (line of sight) around the pillars get clones to despawn using saber throw, from range and use basic strike/sunder armor/slash on clones one at a time as they walk around pillar for the main boss be patient when hes casting use moves like force stasis/force push + saber throw/

basicly run around pillars like a tool occasionaly hitting him and change pillar if he starts to cast an AoE ability near it

Done it on my 3rd attempt lvl49 with default T7 no upgrades for him atall (he dies right at start) Defense tree guardian - yes it was difficult - it should be end of class quest - is it doable - hell yes

no need to complain

And to the guy that said if you go total tank spec your screwed bs as i said before line of sight is everything he rarely uses melee attacks just dont stand toe to toe with him

Edited by Kaneee

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am a Jedi Guardian, Knight of the Republic. I do not hide behind pillars cause the "NPC" is casting or my abilities are not ready yet. This fight could not possibly have been made that way. If it was, the Dev was or is not in tune with what being a Jedi Knight means. I will not gimp myself or play those games to beat this fantastic storyline up to this point.

If the fight is supposed to utilize our abilities, then allow force sweep to kill off the mirrors. In its current state, at least my end fight, I can not use AE as it has no effect on the mirrors. Fix that, and the fight is doable in my opinion.

I did it today after spending quite abit of credits and time on it.

In the spoiler is a full description of how I killed him, so beware of that before you read it :)

I should state that I am lvl 50 Jedi Guardian in full tank spec/gear

The first 2 evenings where I tried this I had a very hard time killing even the trash leading up to. Man those Sith shadow assassins are mean, esp when 2 of them do their whirl of death at the same time. First time I tried it, T-7 had lvl 12 gear and I simply stopped due to frustration at the 2 shadow assassins at the top of the stairs. Then went out, got some gear for T-7 and came back next day with more credits.

This time it went abit better, but still slow and painfull due to low damage from T-7 and still nasty mobs. I solved the puzzle and could not open the chest. Went on to get my *** handed to me by the emperor and his clones for some time before I went away.. very frustrated.

Finaly today.. after a raid to Eternity vault where I got 4 new purple items I came back to this fight. The new items were in no way critical to the Emperor fight, ofc it did make it easier, but it were more the trash that felt much more in line with what I could handle without blowing all cooldowns on each pack.

With the new gear the trash were actually rather easy and not really as painfull as before.

This time when I came to the chest it were simply there and lootable. It contained some okay green items for T-7, although it were not a full set, think it lacked a parts piece or so.

This time around I tried lots of different things as well and I finaly got the emperor down by pulling him to the room before the throne room.

This room have enough pillars for you to hide behind for the casts and when he do his clone thing, he spawns back at the throne room. This both give you more time for cooldowns and also make it much easier to hit the clones with one leap/awe/etc and take care of them that way.

To specify. Use a ranged pull to pull the emperor, run straight back to the room and hide behind one of the large pillars. When he comes with his clones, force leap on them and use awe/etc to get them down. Pound on the emperor and interupt his casts. I interupted every one beside his small aoe, since it were easy to step out of.

He cloned and went back to the throne room before I were out of stuns/interupts and when he came back I had a good luck and took out all his clones with one leap and then an awe + a few fast attacks.

I then simply keept on interupting/dps, when out of interupts, I hid behind the pillars to avoid his damage. Even with this tactic I had to use 2 health "pots", and I simply went behind the pillar and waited for the cd on those when I got to low.

I kept repeating this until he finaly went down.

I must say I am abit split on this fight. Because on one hand.. its damn challenging and a great feeling to get him down. On the other hand, if you dont get the idea of pulling him back and using LoS. Then you simply wont take him down.

A way to keep the challenge and at the same time make it abit "easier" would probably be to let one of the NPCs give a hint about using the pillars to avoid the emperors "dangerous force powers" or some sort, or even better.. write it in the quest text.

Anyway.. My final note on this.. when you finaly get him down.. That master title is soo damn sweet :)

I hope it helps :)

Edited by Mitridathes

Wow am I the only one this fight bugged out for and I auto-won? I wrote back on the top of page 8 of this thread about how I began the fight with the Emperor who then promptly warped back to his seat (which is what happens when you beat him).

Surely I'm not the only player this happened to? I mean, I was really glad to not have to bother doing this fight and gear up T7, but I wish I knew what I did differently that made this happen. I guess as I said in my previous post... I'm so pro the Emperor just surrendered. :D

Cyclone Slash > Force Sweep.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Just because you can't use ONE of your "AE"s doesn't mean another won't clear the clones.

The issue is Force/Kinetic vs. Energy.

Use your brains instead of whining about nothing some time. If you can't do it the way you're operating, CHANGE THE WAY YOU'RE OPERATING.

Edited by Felaed

Cyclone Slash > Force Sweep.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Just because you can't use ONE of your "AE"s doesn't mean another won't clear the clones.

The issue is Force/Kinetic vs. Energy.

Use your brains instead of whining about nothing some time. If you can't do it the way you're operating, CHANGE THE WAY YOU'RE OPERATING.

WOW, really...I did that and the emperor bowed at me immediately surrending to my superior skills with cyclone slash....

I have died enough to pay over 200k in repair bills. My gear is above average with 5 pieces of champion gear from pvp. I know my class and how to use it. I made the comment about the AOE's because a dev stated we need to use all our interrupts and abilities to beat the fight. We should not have to resort to LoS or "tricks" to beat this.

I simply do not understand why people have to act like smart butts and aholes on the forum, its like you feel you can get away with what ever you want because your hiding on the internet.

throw lightsaber, aoe taunt clones, back up so theyre all in front of me, cyclone slash, 1 dies, target the next, basic attack, another dies. im half dead. continue. dead.

throw lightsaber, single target strike them until its the non clone left 2/3 dead, run away to stairs, try to wait for him to get in range of the cliff, he just casts, i interupt him 11 times, he charges his instant death cannon, i have no interupts, i run away feebly, die

saber throw LOS behind pillars, dispatch them one at a time, dance around pillar interupting him and doing damage to him and hiding. run around for 10+ minutes. realize that if he hurts me even a little, i cannot heal, my health is 14000, his is 33000, 2 minute cooldown for 3400 health back. eventually, more clones, cyclone slash kills one, targeting them individually, lucky if i live through that wave, go back to throwing him away, dancing around, damaging, hiding etc fail to get him below 25%.

ive done this several dozen times, killed my wallet, and have left the world to get cash from alts, and no one wanted to come help heal because they "might want to see the JK storyline someday"

the entirely of the rest of the game was dont-even-have-to-pay-attention mode. even running heroic 2+s i could kite things forever and whittle away at large groups of elites and strongs, WITH A HEALING COMPANION, now, with t7 upgraded in purples blues oranges etc from the GTK, i feel like less than a padawan in this fight

(cyclone slash seriously isnt helping)

Edited by Erlioth

update: drew him to the stairs, got him out in the middle force jump, force push at the pillar in the center, he goes from 33k to 9k instantly, throw lightsaber, he teleports back to his room, dispatch his clones with ease, he disapears back to his room before i can hit him again, they all run into the stairs area again, i throw saber to dispatch one, jump to the others, smack them down, turn just to see the real one shoot me with his death cannon for about 80% of my max health, dead

I DID IT. MOST SATISFYING KILL IN ANY GAME EVER. other than maybe MGS4. oh man. ok to help others: turn t7 off passive, he takes agro, saber throw, aoe taunt, awe, tab target, strike, tab target, strike, tab target, strike, tab target, strike, interupt, interupt interupt interupt interupt, when you run out, turn t7 on passive, push/run away, get to stairs, run past stairs until hes in the middle, leap, push at pillar, hes down to 6k, he runs back up, teleports back to room, run down hall, clones are halfway down hall, easy to kill, emperor isnt there, second wave immediately comes because his health dropped so far, saber throw one, run to stairs, hide behind corner, turn t7 back on, he takes the attention of the emperor (this part may not be needed if you just take out the clones fast enough, but this is where i kept dieing) finally that SOB is alone and has low hp, INTERUPT, INTERUPT, INTERUPT, HIGH DAMAGE HIT HIGH DAMAGE INTERUPT DEAD WOOOOOO

man that took forever

As a level 50 defense specced Guardian this was definitely a challenging encounter at first. That being said, it is in no way impossible as has been stated here, it is simply a challenge that people are going to have to think about and develop a strategy. I personally thought it was rather rewarding once completed and liked that fact that it wasn't simply walk in and bash some sith's brains in without any through as every other class encounter was.

As far as the chest for T7 goes, it is very poorly located as you have to do most of the clearing before you actually reach the chest and T7 is really not useful on the emperor (even with the gear).

Furthermore, the chest does in fact bug out and is not lootable. This as has been stated can be addressed by leaving Dromund Kaas and returning, and hence re clearing the trash with an under geared T7. Also, the equipment provided was indeed all green quality, and not blue as was suggested by the official post earlier in the thread.

I have had almost no trouble with any fight up until this one. (Combat Sent) I've read all the forum posts on this so asked my healer friend to join me before going. We got him on the 5th try using some of the suggested strats people have posted.

Puzzle chest is still broke and I know the devs are aware of it. Not sure how much of a difference that would make though.

I think I play my sent fairly well because I haven't had trouble up to this point but I don't think I could have done this alone.

My healer friend and I then went to finish his class story and what a joke compared to ours. He is a Jedi Consular. I think his should have been a bit harder but not like ours and I think ours should be a bit easier.

I want to thank everyone who posted their thoughts on this fight because you probably saved me 200k credits and a lot of frustration.

Note: I would have tried this solo if I could take Kira or Doc. I'm not sure it would have worked but I would have been willing to give it a shot.

Edited by CorganNW

Quest isn't doable as a tank. Which pretty much makes no sense. Just another problem that Bioware failed to realize when designing an mmo.

I'm rolling a sage after my guardian has become completely useless at level 50.

Yeah it is. I'm a tank and did it. No LOS tricks either.

Taunt everything, Awe, Strike them all down, interrupt the boss. It's doable, just hard.

Maybe it's not the class that's the problem.

Quest isn't doable as a tank. Which pretty much makes no sense. Just another problem that Bioware failed to realize when designing an mmo.

I'm rolling a sage after my guardian has become completely useless at level 50.

Yes, it is. Many people, myself included, have even explained how.

You don't even need a companion for the final fight.

I've never used the rusty bucket of bolts since i had the opportunity to talk to someone normal.

So he came in his lowbie greens, an the trash leading up to the entrance was so bad, I came onto the forums to see if i was being terrible. It might have been that but others have obviously seen the same :p

I did the puzzle only for the chest never to open, and a few wipes later went to save my companion. Rusk.. I tried to do it properly, but i got hurt alot :p So i tried the pillar humping fun. It was close but occasionally he does ignore the los :p And more occasionally I'd jump at the wrong clone and die...

I then pulled him even further into the broken puzzle room as it will henceforth be known and ran around the big statue until saber throw came off cd, and i could kill adds one at a time with no danger :p Awesome.

So after i'd mastered that I restocked medpacs and stimmed myself stupid engaged the boss, and ur um, 1 shot him like so many others. Well at least i got to have the fun of working out a fun strategy!

During the resulting cutscene my cloak was clipping through my boy as if i was mid action, and i got to talk to a naked Lord Scourge.

That's what happens if you take too many stims I guess kids.

I probably lost 30k in credits overall. I had worked out a stategy that worked, so I got the sense of satisfaction from that.

But seriously this was a poorly executed quest. T7 stuff at the start of the area, or choose your own companion. Broken puzzle for most. Steep and sudden step up in difficulty. Broken (definitely possible doing it correctly if really good and geared) last fight in terms of the one shotness.

An fantastic one final insult to add to injury, After finishing the dialogue I spawned right on top of the Gold mob in the centre of the broken puzzle room, with a dead t7, and died i laughed at this point.

But I think there's something we all can agree on hopefully, is that this quest is a major step up in difficulty. And I'm not a casual by any stretch, but much more casual (and lets be fair this is the market SWTOR is aimed at) will find this impossible to solo. And they will want to solo it because thats how many people want to play this game in many cases.

Edited by Farrokhan

But I think there's something we all can agree on hopefully, is that this quest is a major step up in difficulty. And I'm not a casual by any stretch, but much more casual (and lets be fair this is the market SWTOR is aimed at) will find this impossible to solo. And they will want to solo it because thats how many people want to play this game in many cases.

Compared to the stuff to do before, it is not a leap, more like a warp jump.

I have him kited down to the stairs, works fine the first time. But the second time around, only the clones come down. When I go up to him, he is sitting back in his throne with full health.

It's alright that this fight is tough. But I hate the fact that one has not been properly prepared because the other missions were so easy.

I am now waiting for my other guildies to reach 50 and help me, once and again having a try at him when I feel my life is not frustrating enough...

Oh and the chest bug sucks!

Hey folks!

If you are unable to solo this fight, please give us a bit more information as requested below:

1) Did you save your companion?

2) What is your advanced class and tree spec?

This fight is designed to be soloable by fully utilizing your interrupts. You should not need to use any LOS tricks, etc, but we will take a look at exactly which circumstances are making this fight undefeatable for some players.

Thanks for your help!

1. Yes

2. Sentinel/Watchman

Some of the pulls leading up to Angral was a bit tough, but wasn't so challenging to cause any deaths. Angral I found was not so tough as long as you used interrupts and cool-downs. I actually one shot him around level 30 on first try. I don't think this fight needs to be nerfed at all for Sentinel, I can't speak for Guardians.

After a couple attempts to win my quest glitched and went to the next cutscene which was weird but honestly I don't care, this fight is broken for tanks.

Hey folks!

If you are unable to solo this fight, please give us a bit more information as requested below:

1) Did you save your companion?

2) What is your advanced class and tree spec?

This fight is designed to be soloable by fully utilizing your interrupts. You should not need to use any LOS tricks, etc, but we will take a look at exactly which circumstances are making this fight undefeatable for some players.

Thanks for your help!

1. Yes

2. Guardian/Defense

Most Guardian Defense specs rely heavily on Doc to prop themselves up while they fight gold elites just because tanks take longer to kill enemies and need heals, by forcing tanks to use T7 its essentially cranking up the difficulty massively.

In the fight I was interrupting, using wards and using everything at my disposal and found I could do decent damage to the boss, but when the wards ran out he was doing somewhere around 40-50% damage with force lightning attacks.

The best outcome I got was when I brought his health low by blocking his line of sight and using stun and hit and run attacks.

Honestly to me it felt like nobody tested this fight with Guardian Defense spec and restricting the fight to T7 was irritating. Why do I have to use T7 for the final battle? not only does it hinder me but what if I wanted another companion by my side for the climatic battle? it makes no sense to me.

Wow am I the only one this fight bugged out for and I auto-won? I wrote back on the top of page 8 of this thread about how I began the fight with the Emperor who then promptly warped back to his seat (which is what happens when you beat him).

Surely I'm not the only player this happened to? I mean, I was really glad to not have to bother doing this fight and gear up T7, but I wish I knew what I did differently that made this happen. I guess as I said in my previous post... I'm so pro the Emperor just surrendered. :D

Same to me too, reading this thread i think thankgod i saved on the huge repair bills.

Edited by Stobbsy

I've done it by cheating, essentially, and using the "push him off the ledge" trick. As far as I'm concerned, the fight is utterly impossible to win for a defense-specced tank guardian with orange gear modded to Corellia level. Maybe with full T3 Rakata gear, but hell, you certainly should not need anything like that to complete your **SOLO** class quest.

I will be giving detailed feedback below, in case someone at Bioware is actually monitoring this thread.

Went into the final quest at level 50, defense-specced tank. This is the spec:

Defense tank

Gear was mostly orange moddable items with decent mods. Got a couple of screenshots with the resulting values:

stats 1

stats 2

I chose to save my companion.

First problem: forcing the people to use a companion which is NOT the most useful for the class by a long shot (the correct one is obviously the healer, Doc) and which many players will not have upgraded in 30 or more levels. This was my case, too, and as a result, T7 was utterly useless.

This means any pull of 2 strong mobs is an automatic death, as the dps of e.g. the 2 sith assassins guarding the entrance to the temple is quite enough to completely break through the defenses of the class (even if using all the cooldowns). This in turn makes even reaching the temple a major pain.

The fact that the temple contains green gear for T7 by way of solving the puzzle is useless because:

A) You need an upgraded T7 to help you reach the temple and clear it in the first place

B) There is absolutely ZERO indication of what happens if you solve the puzzle. This means most players will simply never bother, because to solve it you need to clear a good chunk of mobs which you can simply avoid if you beeline for the emperor. And why try to clear several more groups than necessary in what is already an incredibly painful experience if you don't have a clue it will do you any good?

And this is without even taking the bugs into account.

Second problem: the fight itself.

Let's start by noting that whoever is saying the adds only spawn at 75%, 50% and 25% is definitely WRONG. This maybe the case if you do not save the companion and get the weaker version of the fight as a result; I don't know what happens in that case.

In my case, once I chose to go for the "pull him to the stairs and Force push him off the ledge" route, the initial seconds of my several tries went always the exact same way:

- I approach him until I'm at the very edge of the saber throw range

- I chuck my lightsaber at him (he goes down to 97% health) and instantly start running for the stairs (T7 is in passive mode)

- One or two seconds after I've gone outside his room (we're a few seconds into the fight now), he stops a moment and summons the first wave of clones

So for me the first wave was time-based, not health based, as he called them at 97% and it happened quite quickly too since I just had the time to go outside his room before it happened.

Now for the "all you have to do is interrupt his casts" part.

First of all, Force Kick is on an 8 seconds cooldown and a huge number of mobs (including yours truly) just LOVE LOVE LOVE to immediately restart whatever spell you interrupted as soon as the 4-seconds denial period is over. This means it's impossible to *keep interrupting* them indefinitely because they effectively work on a 4 seconds "spellcasting" cycle. So you can e.g. follow a force kick with a force sweep (assuming a weak mob which gets stunned by it) , then another force kick for the third casting attempt followed by a master strike etc. but after the first 6-7 interrupts your force kick will be on cooldown again and you won't have any more alternative interrupts available as they will all be on their long cooldowns. So you're screwed.

If, like in this case, the mob is not weak and your stuns don't work, it means you have much less alternative interrupts available and you simply get screwed much faster.

Second point, specific to this fight: AoE attacks will not work to dissipate his clones. So the quickest way of getting rid of them is to:

- tab target a clone

- hit him with the fastest ability available (i.e. the normal strike)

- tab target to the next

- twiddle your thumbs while the age-long global cooldown expires while the emperor and the rest of his clones are happily pounding you

- hit the second clone with a strike

- rinse and repeat with the rest of the clones

Bottom line: thanks to the GCD, it takes an age to clear all the clones. In that period, you are not interrupting whatever the emperor is casting at you AND his clones are also pounding you, resulting in an utterly insane amount of incoming damage which will easily burn through whatever defense you might have.

I've read in some previous post that it's possible to keep targeting the emperor and use Cyclone Slash to still dissipate the clones one at a time. That' s nice, however:

A) why cyclone slash works this way (unlike force sweep) on the clones and how the hell am I supposed to know?

B) even assuming you can keep interrupting the emperor while you cyclone slash away the clones, the clones who are still alive are still putting a huge amount of hurt on you

Just to underline this, I'd like to point out that even while using the "force push him to his doom" technique, it took me several attempts, 60k in repairs, and ALL my cooldowns and 2 medpacks to kill him this way. I would:

- run immediately back to the stairs

- hide behind that pack of stuff near the medical droid to avoid los to him and the clones

- wait for him to come as close as possible before the first clone could get los at me

- activate a defensive CD

- run toward him and force leap to him as soon as possible

- manoeuver so as to push him off the ledge

- clear the clones

- wait for him to port back to his room and get back to me with a new wave of clones

And even using all these methods to minimize incoming damage, I would easily lose 30-45% of my health in those few seconds I needed to run closer to him, force leap, move around and push him off.

As a possible comparison point, keep in mind this same toon earlier in the same day successfully tanked the Directive 7 flashpoint, so I don' t think either my skills or the toon statistics are so completely useless.

Another thing: there's an extremely nasty bug which can block your toon for hours if you're unlucky. When you are inside the temple and approach the force field, the quest will automatically update to the next step (the one in which you need to interact with the console to disable the force field and T7 tells you that your companion is in danger). HOWEVER, the medical droid in the mezzanine section *behind* the force field will also be unlocked, so if you die fighting one of the groups there, and you choose to rez at the droid instead of waiting for being resurrected in place (as I did as I was by then on the 10 minutes timer), you get rezzed on the other side of the force field and are stuck in there, because you cannot interact with the console anymore as you're on the wrong side of the field itself. And fast travel doesn't work because there are no bind points in the whole area. So you better have your fleet emergency pass off CD or you have just won a 18-hours wait before you can use your toon again, as you can go neither back nor forward (can't kill the emperor because you're stuck at a previous step in the quest chain).

Honestly I'm amazed this crap could pass any sort of semi-decent QA process. Keep in mind the people who already reached this point are all invariably pretty hardcore since they all reached 50 before the one month period. Just imagine what happens in a few more weeks, when the mass of casuals start banging their heads against this wall.

Edited by MagnusLL

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSchmidt

Hey folks!

Thanks for your help!

Jedi Sentinel (Watchman) equipped mostly with commendation rewards from Corellia. Spent 100,000-odd credits and some commendations I was saving to equip T7 with blue & good moddable gear. I was able to open the chest from the puzzle but it contained green gear and was not a complete set. After 7+ attempts, I've succeeded in whittling the boss down to 10%, but by that time I'm out of cooldowns and interrupts. Additionally, his adds take no damage from cyclone storm or force sweep, making them un-AOEable. Hiding behind the pillar has yet to save me, though perhaps I'm doing it wrong or something. Sunk another 100,000 credits into repairs thus far.

I'm not uber-leet, but I've never struggled on a class quest before. I imagine I will ask a friend to help me rather than sink more credits into this, but I confess to disappointment at being forced into sharing my moment of glory. Class quest content should be soloable without raid gear or exploiting LoS.

Oh yes, and of course I saved my companion. Like I'm going to let my precious healer die.

Edited by Katrinya

This fight is a farce. I did save my companion, I have T7 fitted out with correlian mods, he's pretty well specced. I did manage to loot the chest eventually, but the green items where all worse than the ones I already had.

I'm a watchman sentinel, lvl 50. AoE attacks don't wok on the adds, I have no force push abilities, I'm squishy as hell. T7 dies within about five seconds. LOS works to pull the adds, but since you have to direct-damage each one, they will kill you easily.

This fight, like much of the JK combat experience has been extremely frustrating and far, far harder than equivalent fights with other classes. My consular (lvl 37), for example, can easily solo all the class quest objectives, even whilst being under-levelled.

I played that open beta weekend, and feedback forms popped up every 10 minutes asking you how things are going. I simply can't believe that during the beta, the JK players went through their content and replied "yep, this is all perfectly satisfactory." It is an absolute farce!

Yes, some people here seem to think things are perfectly fine, but the JK seems to be a class where you need to know it back to front and be an uber leet player, not just to shine, but simply to be viable. The other republic classes are all immediately playable, and I'm sure the better you play them, the more rewarding it is.

Yes, I could wait for my friends to get to level 50 too, but what is the point in playing a class that is so gimped?

If it is my ability to play the class that is the problem (if so, the forums indicate that I'm certainly not alone), then there is also no point playing a class that I perform so poorly at. I'd love for someone at Bioware just to say "Yes, this class is working as intended." In which case I can give up, knowing that I simply suck ;-)

..Or "No, we recognise that there are some balance issues that we are looking into." so then I'll know that it is worth persevering with.

I guess Bioware have more statistics than they can shake a big stick at, detailing deaths, damage and progress of each class. They must have established whether there is a problem or not.