Good build for Concealment Op?

SabreNova

I was thinking of making an Op for the story since I already have a GS, don't really know their builds or how viable they are DPS wise now, but they still seem to annoy me to no end in pvp with endless stunning and stabbing, so I figured how better to experience a story of espionage than with someone who sneaks around for a living? Anyways, here's a build I threw together from what I can tell about Ops. Any criticism/changes would be helpful.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401MfcZGfzddbkrhGR.3

Also, I've heard the story is best played with LS/DS indicators off, but does one side "make more sense" than the other? I was planning on going primarily DS (to many LS characters...) but I may end up going with gut feelings. Also does anyone know of any cool name generators or have any suggetions for "star warsy" names?

Concealment is hands down the most satisfying spec to play in this game. This is a very easy game, all classes and specs can be learned easily, but this one will take a little more effort to master. But when you do, especially if you PvP, I guarantee you will fall in love with it.

That said, the first thing I need to mention is that this spec is no good for Operations, unless you are running with a good group and your lack of sustained DPS won't be a problem. It's just not very good for end game PVE content and it will be a little more difficult while leveling but you can certainly do it. Just keep Lokin or Kaliyo geared and you'll be fine.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#4010cZGbzrdrkrhGRZhr.3

This is the best setup for PvP, you don't need to waste all those points in the Medicine tree. You'll find yourself starved for energy quite often if you don't know what you're doing and wasting energy on healing will only make it worse. Put both points in Scouting, Stealth is your best friend and you want to avoid getting spotted as much as possible. Grab the crit from Lethality so you don't have to worry about having it in your gear, also get Hit and Run and Slip Away. The reduced cooldown on your stun will make a HUGE difference. And if you plan on going into PvP at all, get Pin Down. Lastly, make good use of explosive probe as it is one of our hardest hitting abilities. It's excellent for executing people with a Frag or Backstab, especially when they both crit, which they often do in my experience.

Edited by Arcadius-Fett

I see...is this spec viable for solo/group leveling on planets and such? If I join planetary heroics, can I hold my own there? Also can I level on my own/finish my class quests alone easily enough with a good companion and all? Thanks for the help, I was starting to doubt the spec but seems quite viable pvp wise to me.

I see...is this spec viable for solo/group leveling on planets and such? If I join planetary heroics, can I hold my own there? Also can I level on my own/finish my class quests alone easily enough with a good companion and all? Thanks for the help, I was starting to doubt the spec but seems quite viable pvp wise to me.

no worries, concealment is absolutely fine for leveling. it gets a bit tricky if you do endgame ops, but there are people that make it work, but it usually isnt the first choice even of the operative dps specs, since lethality can ditch out way better sustain dps. But for leveling, heroic and flashpoints it concealment is absolutely fine.

The build he posted is a bit more pvp focused, but the only thing i did (i dont play mine that often anymore) when doing pve in concealment get some extra ticks on corrosive dart instead of the shortend CD on debilitate.

Edited by Cordorian

Yeah you'll be fine leveling and doing heroics on planets, as well as regular flashpoints. So long as you keep your companion well geared it'll be fine. The reason for the shortened debilitate is obvious for PvP but it might not be as crucial for PvE. Even though it will allow you to stun NPC's more often so you can get behind them for a backstab. Although if you level with a tank that shouldn't be a problem.

In PvP I've been running this spec.

You give up some crit chance, and your debilitate has a little longer cooldown, but I have off-heals which is pretty decent. When I run with my buddy, he appreciates the off-heals since sometimes we have no healer in our group, and I got straight up bored with full heal spec. Most importantly, for me anyway, is the tactical advantages last longer. I found that enemies kept getting away from me and my tactical advantage would evaporate, leaving me waiting on my shiv/backstab cooldown to do any damage.

I regularly put up 500k+ damage and 100k+ heals, but overall numbers are really not where it's at. In warzones, you are not a damage god. You pick your targets, and burn them. You're the node defender/capper. You're harassing the healer at mid. You're peeling from your own healer. That's your job. Not burning down everybody in sight and getting tons of dps numbers.

I LOVE this class. I'm really bummed about the low damage figures we get though. I hope to see a 10% to 15% bump in our knife attacks baseline damage. Probly not coming, but hey, a guy can dream.

Edited by Uber_the_Goober

Who should I be using companion wise for DPS Op? I honestly don't like Kailyo just b/c of her personality and such but idk what other companions there are to use.

Lokin if you want heals, Temple if you want damage support. Kaliyo is a good tank. Just make sure you turn on all of her tanking abilities and gear her, or else she dies fast.

In PvP I've been running this spec.

You give up some crit chance, and your debilitate has a little longer cooldown, but I have off-heals which is pretty decent. When I run with my buddy, he appreciates the off-heals since sometimes we have no healer in our group, and I got straight up bored with full heal spec. Most importantly, for me anyway, is the tactical advantages last longer. I found that enemies kept getting away from me and my tactical advantage would evaporate, leaving me waiting on my shiv/backstab cooldown to do any damage.

I regularly put up 500k+ damage and 100k+ heals, but overall numbers are really not where it's at. In warzones, you are not a damage god. You pick your targets, and burn them. You're the node defender/capper. You're harassing the healer at mid. You're peeling from your own healer. That's your job. Not burning down everybody in sight and getting tons of dps numbers.

I LOVE this class. I'm really bummed about the low damage figures we get though. I hope to see a 10% to 15% bump in our knife attacks baseline damage. Probly not coming, but hey, a guy can dream.

I was thinking of running something similar to this with the off heals and all. And I may use Temple just because she seems cool and probably the only real romance option for me since I really dislike Kaliyo

little update.

I ran around torparse a bit just found that one concealment op from my server (actually one of the best when it comes to pvp) did a like op dummy parse over like 7 minutes with 3.6k dps. with these figure you would actually be viable for nightmare content pve wise. So in fact concealment can ditch out the necessary damage for even top notch endgame pve but i think the class mechanics make it a bit more challenging (positional and stealth requirements) to bring this to a table in an actual encounter, considering the sheer amount of knockbacks, stealth detection and AoE damage in most boss fights. In not so movement intensive fight, concealment can be pretty good though, but otherwise it is lethality land still. That being said, concealment is about the toughest dps spec to master for pve (at endgame) since the rotation is extremely tight and little mistakes and you are energy drained -> rifle shot2full.

Ok since the OP is still leveling his agent, this was just to give a little perspective. If you are up for the challenge you can try to play concealment in pve endgame, it is tough, you have to work harder than almost everybody else, but in the end once you master that you are a kick *** player :p

Story is great, but i only know the light side (a lot of times it just made more sense to me) and it is one of the few stories in game, where your choices have a major impract (unlike knight :(). there are people (again on my weird server) that leveled about 5 snipers just to see every possible twist and turn that can happen. If you dont have that energy (and we are usually starving of that as dps) there is still youtube :o. But imo best story in game, and i really hate it that their most likely wont be any further class stories in further expansions especially because of this one.

I leveled all the way in concealment, so from experience it work pretty good, but it is important that you don't rush into mob like you would on warrior or knight. Rather plan your moves ahead use your cc and take them down one by one. This sneaky and tactical play style is enjoyable once you get used to it and i think the reason why lot people love concealment even in leveling. at the higher leveled small mistakes can have big consequence because you are a melee glass canon, so it is very important to get to know all you available tools and use them.

I don't know whether clicker or keybind so far, but with concealment it is really helpful to get used to using complete keybindings and mouse turning... alone to get into position for your backstabs and hidden strikes.

companion wise i usually prefered a tank companion over healers and dps, since it is easier to get your damage of when you don't have aggro, so that would be kaliyo and scorpio then from the normal ones. maybe treek can be helpful, but since i dont have here i dont really know.

Lokin if you want heals, Temple if you want damage support. Kaliyo is a good tank. Just make sure you turn on all of her tanking abilities and gear her, or else she dies fast.

if you can get tweek, i'd highly recommend it. especially for levelling. Set him to tank, and you can backstab all day long. If you get a tough fight and/or you cannot upgrade tweeks gear right away as you level, switch him to heals and he shines there as well..