Can this be fixed? Please help

SandwichDad

Hello!

Apparently, I made a few mistakes when I was choosing crew skills on my characters. At the time, I didn't think I would be crafting for critical items, but now that I am in eldergame on four of my characters, I would like to craft for augmentation slots. For example, my Smuggler has Armormech and my Trooper has Armstech. This is a problem because the companion on the Smuggler side has +5 crit Armstech and vice versa. Now that I want to craft for crits, I'm kind of stuck. All of my companions have maxed affection and all of my crew skills are at 450.

I'm thinking about deleting the incorrect crafting skills and starting them over. I just don't really want to lose all of the schematics I've collected. I have alts to feed them mats, so that wouldn't be too hard. My mission skills (and some gathering skills) would be opposite of conventional thinking.

My other option is to max out affection on both HK-51 and Treek, who are both +1 critical to all crafting. Would that be an effective solution at all?

I wish augmented armor was more readily available on the GTN, but there doesn't seem to be any out there.

Which of these solutions would work best? Are there any other solutions that I didn't think of? Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

I completely understand the dilemma. I had exactly the same problem on the first toons I leveled.

Personally, I bit the bullet and retrained both skills from scratch, having to relearn all of the schematics.

I just felt the +5 crit bonus was too valuable in the long term. And the first time I crit while crafting a high-level endgame Skill Barrel, the profit made up for all the time I spent re-leveling it from scratch.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by Khevar

I am in fact in the exact same boat: my 55 smuggler is armormech and my 55 trooper is armstech. The one bit of good news for me is that both my smuggler and trooper do not have many desirable and rare schematics to worry about.

I am doing what AlrikFassbauer suggests:

• I am currently leveling a new smuggler (first was scoundrel new one is gunslinger).
  • My slinger currently has no crafting skill (BA, Scav, & Slicing), but once she hits 50+ I will be swapping one of the the gathering skills (most likely BA) to armstech.
  • Once my slinger is 450 in armstech and has the grade 28 purple schematics, I will swap my trooper to armormech.
  • Lastly I will drop armormech on my scoundrel, for what I'm not sure yet, but probably scavenging because I am finding myself buying too many materials or not crafting enough

In the interim: one of the ship droid sensor units has a +2 crit armstech/+10 efficiency investigation. I am using that on my trooper while I go through the process above.

A brand new character would need to get to ~level 10 to pick up the skills from the fleet, and then use the mats from your 55 to train in a crafting skill. - with 2/3 logins per day, it won't take too long. Quicker if you get to the part of your class mission where you get a ship and a droid. Take the legacy of crafting unlock, and buy gifts for your companions too to add crit chance. I also took the 'wrong' skills on my first few characters - but once you max all the crew-skills, (Mastercrafter) , it isn't much of a chore shifting mats around your legacy.

If that seems too much, buy the augment kits from the GTN. - a Mk-4 for instance goes for about 8K on my server and is good until level 40. / a mk-6 is about 30K and good until level 50 / A Mk-9 goes for about 75-85K which is only an hour or so's money doing dailies. (+36K to install IIRC) If you can craft gear and reverse- engineer it for the components, the kits are virtually free!

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I'm going to delete the crafting skills and relevel them. All of my toons have all companions at 10K affection already and that was why I decided against creating new characters.

Thanks again!