Assassins need 25+ buttons in pvp- keybinding advice?

Triforcer

Leveling an assassin, I just realized this. On one hotbar, my left hand can reliably reach 10-12 skills (numbers 1-6, R-F-C-V, Q-E if I remove strafe, etc.).

Is there a way to keybind so that if I hit (and hold) shift, I can have an entirely new menu for the time I am holding shift (and it reverts to hotbar 1 when I let go)? Or do I need to keybind hotbar switches (which I need to hit again to go back to the main bar)?

Any help here appreciated- thanks.

Leveling an assassin, I just realized this. On one hotbar, my left hand can reliably reach 10-12 skills (numbers 1-6, R-F-C-V, Q-E if I remove strafe, etc.).

Is there a way to keybind so that if I hit (and hold) shift, I can have an entirely new menu for the time I am holding shift (and it reverts to hotbar 1 when I let go)? Or do I need to keybind hotbar switches (which I need to hit again to go back to the main bar)?

Any help here appreciated- thanks.

Shift/alt/control modifiers for each, put them on the extra action bars. Myself I prefer control/shift modifiers on mouse scroll up down middle tilt left right, left mouse button and dpi switches (g500 mouse), before having to have modifiers on f r q e f g z x c v.

Pretty much required for classes like marauder/sniper/op. Other classes? Not so much. I can play a sorc with just my mouse and modifiers, same with a pyro pt. Sins/shadows are prob right behind marauder/sent/sniper/slinger in buttons needed.

Melee definitely seems to need much more keybindings in this game with the exception of sniper.

Shift/alt/control modifiers for each, put them on the extra action bars. Myself I prefer control/shift modifiers on mouse scroll up down middle tilt left right, left mouse button and dpi switches (g500 mouse), before having to have modifiers on f r q e f g z x c v.

Pretty much required for classes like marauder/sniper/op. Other classes? Not so much. I can play a sorc with just my mouse and modifiers, same with a pyro pt. Sins/shadows are prob right behind marauder/sent/sniper/slinger in buttons needed.

Melee definitely seems to need much more keybindings in this game with the exception of sniper.

You only need about 2.5 bars for most classes. You should be able to get to 30 just with the keys near your fingers and the shift modifier for those keys. A gaming mouse does help but is not needed for this game.

You could also get a Razer Naga gaming mouse or something similar. There's a LOT of keybinding required for some of the Advanced Classes & Specs, and I find it helps a lot. Like any keybinding change, it takes some getting used to as you acquire the muscle-memory until it becomes automatic. I don't think I could go back now that I'm used to it.

And speaking from experience: don't queue for War Zones right after you re-do your keybinds :D

Edited by klham

You could also get a Razer Naga gaming mouse or something similar. There's a LOT of keybinding required for some of the Advanced Classes & Specs, and I find it helps a lot. Like any keybinding change, it takes some getting used to as you acquire the muscle-memory until it becomes automatic. I don't think I could go back now that I'm used to it.

And speaking from experience: don't queue for War Zones right after you re-do your keybinds :D

This^

Getting a Razer Naga made playing my assassin exponentially easier. I would also advise you to purchase one if you have the means.

i recently bought a logitech g600, as well as a g13. in the past i used a g9x and g510. ive finally settled on a nice mechanical keyboard and the g600 as my perfect combo.

if youre struggling with keyboard keybinds, getting a mouse with more buttons is definitely an option. i would recommend the g600 over the naga tho, as logitech > razer and it is usually cheaper.

however, it is more than possible to handle almost all of your abilities with the keyboard. shift, ctrl and alt are your friends

Switch to Powertech Pyro. They only need 4 keybinds.

Kinda sad that this isn't even a joke.

I have a Naga (from my WoW times, I don't have any binds on it), it's really nice to have those additional binds. But in SWTOR you don't really need them.

Keys I use are 1-6, Q, E, R, T, F, G, V, S with Shift (everything) and Ctrl (just 1-6) as modifiers.

(W, A, D for moving and the mouse for turning)

• 1 month later...
I play with a regular (crappy) keyboard and mouse.

1 to =

F1-F12

a-b-v-h-g-f-r-t-y

no modifiers.

Are you one of those Aliens who operate the central command at Men in Black ? Becasewithout at least 8 tentacles there is no way to use those kind of keyboard-layout.

Remember, everytime you take your fingers off the WASD, you fail, hard... ,-)

Edited by Uvirith

i hope you have freakishly long fingers

TWSS!

Razer Naga uses number pad to bind

1 to = and F1 to F12 with more used abilities toward the front end of those

shift plus any of the above for more abilities

ctrl plus naga buttons for companion.

i myself use `123 all the way backspace, f1-f12. I'm used to that from my swg days. I also use rtyuiop[]\ for random things and defensive buffs. My main abilities are close to my usual hand placement, and emergency cooldowns are a little farther out (RESILIENCE, CLOAK are f11, and f12), and buffs are in a section that i can just slide my hand down. It pretty much comes down to, will i need to keep strafing while using this move. If i do, the move is anywhere from `-8 or f1-f6 or so, after that its either stationary, or non placement critical. Also, i use v-n and shift x to shift m for adding target icons.

That's my crappy keyboard set up. Works great for me, but i'm used to it, my coordination seems to know what buttons to push before i do.

If or when i get a better mouse, i'll have no need for keyboard strafing, so that will free up my fingers for better combo's

lol sirgusto, I thought I was bad. :p

1 -basic attack

2 -thrash

3 -maul

4 -assasinate

5 -shock

6 -force lightning

7 -electrocute

8 -force pull

9 -force speed

0 -seethe

mouse 3 -interrupt

q -force slow

e -taunt

r -spike

t -wither

y -discharge

u -aoe taunt

o -class buff

p -pass huttball

a -stealth mezz

s -recklessness

d -overload saber

f- saber ward

g -guard

h -stealth

j -in combat stealth

k -blackout

z -cc breaker

x -wz medpack

c -the +15 shield (forgot the name off hand)

v -force shroud

b- knockback

n -wz adrenal

Shift 1 -whirlwind

tab -nearest enemy (shift and ctrl tab for next and previous)

` -nearest ally (shift and ctrl for previous and next)

W stays as run forward for those times I need to see the cursor to line up a click on the huttball or node. Shift q+e for the rare times I need to strafe.

It's not perfect but I've gotten used to it. Most of the action is around the T (wither), and where my forefinger sits, so all those things I use most are centered around that. The force speed and knockback could be a little closer to the action but I really don't know where else to put those without using modifiers, I'd rather avoid that if possible. Otherwise I tried to set up abilities that I would use in succession next to or near each other.

Edited by Ridickilis

Switch to Powertech Pyro. They only need 4 keybinds.

Switch to Arsenal Merc. They only need 1 button - tracer missile.

Or switch to Lighning Sorc, have 2 buttons - lightning and shock.

Before 1.2 these guys with only spam these 1-2 buttons make 1-1.5 million damage on warzones. Every brainless baddie roll into sorc or merc.

Ever year after 1.2 nerf these baddies who can play only 1-2 buttons spec still crying and whinning on forums about return their OPness... :D

Switch to Arsenal Merc. They only need 1 button - tracer missile.

Or switch to Lighning Sorc, have 2 buttons - lightning and shock.

Before 1.2 these guys with only spam these 1-2 buttons make 1-1.5 million damage on warzones. Every brainless baddie roll into sorc or merc.

Ever year after 1.2 nerf these baddies who can play only 1-2 buttons spec still crying and whinning on forums about return their OPness... :D

What is this I don't even...

My assassin control scheme is so convoluted I couldnt even explain it.

Its a hybrid of what I started with levelling since launch and my ESCF movement keybinds I use for all my later characters so its all over the place. If anything its holding me back, im planning to switch to ESCF movement so i have that extra row on left side in 2.0

Seems to me Assassin is the most complex to keybind of the classes I play because it has so many utility abilities and variety.

G13 + G600

OR

Nostromo + Razer Naga

Nuff said.

^this

I use the nostromo + naga setup, and modify the user interface so I have one toolbar shaped like the nostromo keypad, and one shaped like the naga. It makes learning new key bindings or switching between multiple characters a snap. I only use the regular keyboard when I'm on the fleet, or crafting, etc.