SWG trade mark renewed

krossfade

Yeh lol. Sony made SWG. You think that now EA have all the rights, Sony wanna give EA the chance to use the SWG name instead. I think Sony would think otherwise.

Neither SOE nor BW has the "rights" to any Star Wars title. But you knew that. LucasArts as a subsidiary of Disney owns the rights to all things Star Wars and grants licenses to third parties to proceed with titles under pretty extensive conditional useage contracts. But you knew that. Yes, LucasArts renewed the name "Star Wars Galaxies" back in December. Yes, SOE made a crypic announcement alluding to former players of SWG "coming home" soon. Do the two events have anything in common? Spectulation only, but it sure does look like it. I'd say BW needs to get their ____ together. Between this and Star Wars Attack Squadrons it's going to be quite a challenge for them soon.

Neither SOE nor BW has the "rights" to any Star Wars title. But you knew that. LucasArts as a subsidiary of Disney owns the rights to all things Star Wars and grants licenses to third parties to proceed with titles under pretty extensive conditional useage contracts. But you knew that. Yes, LucasArts renewed the name "Star Wars Galaxies" back in December. Yes, SOE made a crypic announcement alluding to former players of SWG "coming home" soon. Do the two events have anything in common? Spectulation only, but it sure does look like it. I'd say BW needs to get their ____ together. Between this and Star Wars Attack Squadrons it's going to be quite a challenge for them soon.

Attack Squadrons is a browser game. Also, EA has exclusive rights to publishing Star Wars titles (excluding mobile and browser).

Yes, LucasArts renewed the name "Star Wars Galaxies" back in December. Yes, SOE made a crypic announcement alluding to former players of SWG "coming home" soon. Do the two events have anything in common? Spectulation only, but it sure does look like it.

Trademarks need to be renewed after 10 years, that's the only reason this mark got renewed in December. But you knew that.

Star Wars Galaxies:

Registration Date: January 2004

Renewal Date: December 2013

Rogue Squadron:

Registration Date: June 2000

Renewal Date: June 2010

Jedi Power Battles:

Registration Date: August 2001

Renewal Date: August 2011

etc., etc., etc.,

In the same remarks where Smedley said that their "unannounced" next game would be "dedicated to" SWG players, he alse specifically said that their "new unannounced MMO" is based on a "completely new IP." But you knew that.

Attack Squadrons is a browser game. Also, EA has exclusive rights to publishing Star Wars titles (excluding mobile and browser).

Wrong, EA has no rights to ONLINE games, which mmo games obviously are. I've had to explain this to a few people now, because somehow some peoples' brains don't understand browser game can only be online.:rolleyes:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/6/4306040/electronic-arts-gets-exclusive-deal-to-develop-star-wars-video-games

The deal doesn't give EA complete control over all Star Wars video game titles: Disney will hold onto the rights to develop and publish titles in the "mobile, social, tablet and online game categories."

In other words, EA only has exclusivity over singleplayer games. LucasArts could begin development of SWtoR 2, SWG, Battlefront Online, or any other Star Wars mmo they could think of and have any developer they want , including SOE which I'd love just for the "smack-to-the-face" it would be to EAware, make it while EAware sits and cries.

You honestly think Disney looked at SWtoR at the time they bought LA and thought "Oh yeah, EAware is best for our online games"?:rolleyes:

Edited by Zorvan

Wrong, EA has no rights to ONLINE games, which mmo games obviously are. I've had to explain this to a few people now, because somehow some peoples' brains don't understand browser game can only be online.:rolleyes:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/6/4306040/electronic-arts-gets-exclusive-deal-to-develop-star-wars-video-games

The deal doesn't give EA complete control over all Star Wars video game titles: Disney will hold onto the rights to develop and publish titles in the "mobile, social, tablet and online game categories."

In other words, EA only has exclusivity over singleplayer games.

The "mobile, social, tablet and online game categories" quote is clipped from a press release, not based directly on the language of the contract (which is sure to spell out in significant details which company gets the rights to which type of games). EA and Disney are the only ones privy to the full text of the contract, so all we have is educated guesswork based on what they've said about it.

The full sentence that the quote comes from reads: "While EA studios will develop for the core Star Wars gaming audience, Disney Interactive will focus on delivering new Star Wars games for casual audiences on mobile, social, tablet, and online gaming platforms."

An MMO doesn't really fit the bill for "causal audiences", and more likely falls under the mandate for EA: "the creation of new high quality Star Wars games aimed at the core gaming audience and spanning multiple genres for console, PC, mobile, and tablets."

Edited by DarthDymond

The "mobile, social, tablet and online game categories" quote is clipped from a press release, not based directly on the language of the contract (which is sure to spell out in significant details which company gets the rights to which type of games). EA and Disney are the only ones privy to the full text of the contract, so all we have is educated guesswork based on what they've said about it.

The full sentence that the quote comes from reads: "While EA studios will develop for the core Star Wars gaming audience, Disney Interactive will focus on delivering new Star Wars games for casual audiences on mobile, social, tablet, and online gaming platforms."

An MMO doesn't really fit the bill for "causal audiences", and more likely falls under the mandate for EA: "the creation of new high quality Star Wars games aimed at the core gaming audience and spanning multiple genres for console, PC, mobile, and tablets."

When it comes to Star Wars games, singleplayer is the "core". Battlefront, 1313 ( unfortunately canceled ), the original KotORs', Jedi Knight, etc, etc.

SWtoR for example is the epitome of a game for the casual market. F2P with a cash shop, little difficulty, designed to be played for a couple hours a week ( and the main reason so many left right after launch ( no content ) because EAware only thought people would play for that 2-3 hours a week ).

And I just don't understand how so few people can understand that online is online, doesn't matter what platform or if it's in a browser, online is online and EA does not have exclusive rights to online. You think EA wouldn't be crowing about if if they did? You think EA wouldn't have it in their investor report as a sign of future stability, along the lines of "We have obtained exclusive rights to all future Star Wars mmo development" if they actually had?

If EA had exclusive online rights, we wouldn't be here discussing it now. EA would have plastered that everywhere they could long before now.

And most importantly, if they had exclusive online rights, there wouldn't be another online Star Wars game in beta right now without any EA involvement..

Edited by Zorvan

When it comes to Star Wars games, singleplayer is the "core". Battlefront, 1313 ( unfortunately canceled ), the original KotORs', Jedi Knight, etc, etc.

SWtoR for example is the epitome of a game for the casual market. F2P with a cash shop, little difficulty, designed to be played for a couple hours a week ( and the main reason so many left right after launch ( no content ) because EAware only thought people would play for that 2-3 hours a week ).

And I just don't understand how so few people can understand that online is online, doesn't matter what platform or if it's in a browser, online is online and EA does not have exclusive rights to online.

You honestly think, in the context they're talking for that press release, that KOTOR counts as "core gaming" but SWTOR counts as "casual"?

Sorry, but I really doubt that's what they're saying. "Casual," in the context they're talking about, is "Angry Birds: Star Wars". That's why people are drawing such a distinction between Browser games and other online games. A browser game like Angry Birds or the upcoming OT Starfighter game is simply in a whole different category than even the most "casual friendly" MMO - which stills fall comfortably under the umbrella of "core gaming."

They would have been a LOT more explicit about EA's license being limited to single-player games if that was really the dividing line.

You honestly think, in the context they're talking for that press release, that KOTOR counts as "core gaming" but SWTOR counts as "casual"?

Sorry, but I really doubt that's what they're saying. "Casual," in the context they're talking about, is "Angry Birds: Star Wars". That's why people are drawing such a distinction between Browser games and other online games. A browser game like Angry Birds or the upcoming OT Starfighter game is simply in a whole different category than even the most "casual friendly" MMO - which stills fall comfortably under the umbrella of "core gaming."

They would have been a LOT more explicit about EA's license being limited to single-player games if that was really the dividing line.

Well, we'll pretend you're right while we watch more and more non-EA online games, including mmos, come out. Guess we'll just ignore those as "non-EA canon" as they come. ;)

In other words, you think you're right and I think I'm right but neither of us 100% knows for sure. So I'm just going to hedge my bets on myself because I always bet on the home team. lol

Edited by Zorvan

Well, we'll pretend you're right while we watch more and more non-EA online games, including mmos, come out. Guess we'll just ignore those as "non-EA canon" as they come. ;)

I will write you a check for $50 US if a non-EA Star Wars MMO (a real MMO like SWG or SWTOR, not a social/minigame hub like Clone Wars Adventure) is released during the time frame of EA's exclusive license. If it happens PM me your address and I will eat my words.

In other words, you think you're right and I think I'm right but neither of us 100% knows for sure. So I'm just going to hedge my bets on myself because I always bet on the home team. lol

Haha, fair enough. Offer still stands if I end up being wrong though.

Edited by DarthDymond

Any SW game that I play will be produced by EA until this contract is over. I don't play "casual" games like angry birds. SWG, KOTOR and yes SWTOR all are the definition of "core" games. Said differently, Disney's not currently dumping 200 million into developing SWG 2.0 as an iphone game.

I'd also like to point out from what you've quoted that, "online gaming platform" is very different than "online game".

If the "multi-year" EA deal isn't at least 5 you can pretty much count out any chance of another MMO coming out unless its super rushed, at which point I'd not expect it to do very well.

Also, if Disney had so little faith in EA I don't see why they would even enter a deal with them at all, there wasn't any need too.

Sorry mate, but renewing trademarks like that is just standard business practice regardless of whether there's a new one coming out.

For example "Jedi Power Battles" was renewed in 2011 but I wouldn't hold my breath on Jedi Power Battles 2 coming out anytime soon.

Pretty much this. I guess it's all about the fact that by renewing the trademark they are preventing people from claiming rights on the title. In other words, it prevents the SWG Emu team from claiming their game as the official SWG game.

Edited by demotivator

Trademarks need to be renewed after 10 years, that's the only reason this mark got renewed in December. But you knew that.

Star Wars Galaxies:

Registration Date: January 2004

Renewal Date: December 2013

Rogue Squadron:

Registration Date: June 2000

Renewal Date: June 2010

Jedi Power Battles:

Registration Date: August 2001

Renewal Date: August 2011

etc., etc., etc.,

In the same remarks where Smedley said that their "unannounced" next game would be "dedicated to" SWG players, he alse specifically said that their "new unannounced MMO" is based on a "completely new IP." But you knew that.

I applaud your style and attention to detail. :)

I was going to provide something similar, but you beat me to it. :cool: