Best DPS Companion to have with Assasin Tank?

NovaSpartanX

So, my Assasin is a Tank and i'm only on Tatooine at the moment. With my Vanguard (which was a Tank) I used my healer all the way until 50. I didn't realise how dumb that was until later. Seeing how Tanks have massive defense and do little damage and healers do little damage, that was why battles took forever.

So, i've been tanking with my Assasin and using a DPS this time as my companion. Of course I don't have my healer yet so that's obvious. What i'm trying to figure out is: What is the best type of DPS Companion? Melee or Ranged DPS?

I've been using Khem for Melee DPS and he does quite well. But so does Androlikos as a ranged DPS. Which one is better for a Tank Assasin? Then, if Melee is better, should I keep using Khem or should I use Ashara when I get her or what? What do you guys think?

Khem is a tank. He does have a dps stance, but it isn't as good as a straight up dps companion. Andronikos is very good and his abilities hit pretty hard. Later you will get a melee dps. Its always better to go with ranged dps, because companions suck at avoiding aoe from mobs.

Khem is a tank. He does have a dps stance, but it isn't as good as a straight up dps companion. Andronikos is very good and his abilities hit pretty hard. Later you will get a melee dps. Its always better to go with ranged dps, because companions suck at avoiding aoe from mobs.
I'm aware Khem is a tank, hence the reason I was surprised about how well he was doing at being a DPS. But I guess that's because the planets before Tatooine are lowish level planets. Anyway, thanks.

I used Andronikos because he meshed well with my AoE based play style. Theres not a huge amount of time "story wise" between getting the last 3 companions, so if you have already geared Andronikos fairly well it may not be worth using Ashara unless you really want her for personal prefence. At 50, I now use Xalek because I could give him my free recruit gear, thus focusing my money on gearing Talos for those times I need a healer.

I'm aware Khem is a tank, hence the reason I was surprised about how well he was doing at being a DPS. But I guess that's because the planets before Tatooine are lowish level planets. Anyway, thanks.

Companions are relatively more powerful vs content at lower level. As level scale, both your abilities and the enemies you are fighting raise significantly (a step up on tatooine, and another on Hoth)

But make no mistake, even if you outfit khem in Vindicator rakata gear at 50, Ashara's going to nuke his dps naked, pretty much.

I personally like melee dps as a tank, since you don't have to run after the mob if he pulls, and the dps she makes is slightly higher than andronikos's from people parse report.

Either works well tough.

I'm using HK because I unlocked him, but otherwise I'll use ashara or andronikos...don't think you can go wrong with either

If you do get HK, remember you need to switch out all his gear for level appropriate stuff: once you do, no other comp dps is even close

Edited by thedudeabidesman
Typo