Single Player Raiding Endgame

Maybe this is pure madness, but chaos is contagious. The endgame presents two possible paths that are alright for some, but not all. I understand that this is an MMO, but I enjoy the fusion of this multiplayer-singleplayer hybrid. Personal I want the option to do single player stuff at endgame that still rewards the pleasure centers of my brain. In my boredom I questioned what could be easy to implement for those who don't always wish to play nice with others. I would think it at least interesting to be able to bring all of your companions on endgame hard mode flashpoints. Playing as a group will general be more fun, but this would be a great convenience for those of us not ashamed of playing with ours selves.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyrim?

There is a huge difference between single player games and MMOs, larger, more persistent world, the auction house, and the option to team with others should you so choose.

I just think it's a bait and switch to allow players to solo the entire game and then require them to group up at the end.

There's no MMO law that says that every one of them has to have endgame raiding as the only possible method of PvE endgame progression. In a game like this one, that has companions, that is doubly true.

There is a huge difference between single player games and MMOs, larger, more persistent world, the auction house, and the option to team with others should you so choose.

I agree. There is a difference but that difference is rapidly becoming gray and I don't believe that's a good thing for either demographic. Additionally, let's not kid ourselves...no one buys an MMO because "the auction house". If your focus is single player, why does a persistent world matter?

I just think it's a bait and switch to allow players to solo the entire game and then require them to group up at the end.
You knew the genre, it's not bait & switch. Let's not be hyperbolic to validate your statement. Edited by IIII-IIII-IIII

You people who use the “It's an mmo....” argument are living in the last century. In every single mmo that currently exists there is a large percentage of the player base that mostly or exclusively plays solo. Any mmo that does not account for this fact is doomed to the crapper swirl. A mmorpg does not mean a player should be forced to group with others to achieve satisfying things in game, and adding content for solo players in no way affects how people who prefer to play in a group get to experience the game. Your group content is right there before you, so get to it, bud.

An adamant solo player is not going to play with you anyway, and their presence in the game world is only a benefit to you, as often they are crafters, join in pvp warfronts, and help others when asked politely to, although none of this is required. Their subscription benefits the game. Maybe no one joins an mmo because of the auction house alone, but they join it to experience the game itself. A monkey could understand this.

The fact is, most solo players appreciate the game itself often much more than group players, many who use the game as a sort of chat room and spend their time dragging strangers into their real life problems, or as mere tools for their overbloated e-peen. An mmorpg is about choice. The idea that some group player has some right to tell a solo player to get lost out of “his” game is obscene and stupid. It is absolutely none of your business why someone else chooses to play a particular game. Get over your little selves.

The idea of solo dungeons is not new and is a feature of class AAA mmorpgs such as, for example, Aion and Guild Wars and Age of Conan (and if you want to jump in to trash those game, all I can say is go do it somewhere else). Even WoW has catered to solo dungeon players simply by making their content soloable once you get to a certain level above it. Many 'pro' WoW players used to post on their forums 'How To' guides to solo the more difficult content. It's all fun and it's all part of the game. In SWTOR, as in any game, the more content the merrier, no matter what it is. The addition of a solo dungeon doesn't close down a group dungeon.

The addition of solo dungeons has one effect: it keeps more people playing their game. But if Bioware wants to suck up only to the group players, that is a choice they will make and have to live with. As soon as it's perfectly clear that an mmorpg has relegated solo players to the second class citizen bin, the floodgates open up. The companies who make these games know this, but it is little surprise that a certain percentage of their forum barkers do not.

One of the main factors concerning soloable content is alts. You may be a highly sociable player with your main character, for example, but are you going to join guilds with all your alts and only do group content with all of them? MOST players enjoy playing alts as a diversion from the group chatter and look at it as a sort of respite. An mmorpg that doesn't provide a meaningful solo experience for alts has it's own demise built into it.

I have never met a solo mmorpg player who complained that more group content was being added to the game; yet I have met numerous whiners who think soloers should ****. I can think of no better example to show why there are, in fact, so many solo players. They just don't want to listen to that same tired old immature nonsense any more.

Edited by Sephendrine

A mmorpg does not mean a player should be forced to group with others to achieve satisfying things in game

Sifting through the blinding wall of text and various insults to a disagreeing viewpoint, what's your definition of "forced" and satisfying?

If I buy a van, I know I can take the seats out but that doesn't make the van any less smaller or easier when I go to parallel park. It's a van...not a smart car.

There are certain known parameters a consumer must know when making a purchase of any commodity. An MMO has and always will encourage social interaction/grouping. Encouraging isn't forcing it. Also, it's not a requirement for gameplay. Hence, the demographic (however large or small) of soloers that exist in this genre.

Are there rewards, achievements, gear, etc for teaming up that may be unattainable for those who prefer to go it alone? Absolutely. It's an MMO...but does that mean "satisfaction" can't be achieved? It shouldn't. You chose your path of play. No one forced you to go extensively solo...as no one is forcing you to group.

With the companion system, this is the most solo friendly MMO I've ever seen. It baffles me people still have objections to the premise that some things may only be attainable through certain criteria of playing together...again...in an MMO.

If the concept of "you can't have everything in life, Johnny" confuses you, that's not an MMO/Bioware problem...that's a general life problem you weren't properly taught as a child.

Thanks, Sephendrine, for saying it so eloquently.

I don't understand why some people feels it is some sort of law cast in stone that ALL MMOs (like, every single one) for all time must only allow group content for meaningful endgame progression.

Do you really think it would be so detrimental to the entire MMO genre that a few of them could allow for an alternate solo path?

It doesn't have to be that someone wants a single player game all the time. Could it be just that every once in a while, they might want some "me time" and content that doesn't require a group? You guys are focusing on the multiplayer part and missing the massively part where there should be plenty of things to do no matter how you do them.

I think back to UO days where I enjoyed hunting the White Wyrm or along those lines. Something that maybe you would take help; but it was also a pride thing I guess; if you were soloing them. Something along those lines.

You people who use the “It's an mmo....” argument are living in the last century..

People who use the "It should always be whatever I want it to be" argument are living in la la land..

An adamant solo player is not going to play with you anyway, and their presence in the game world is only a benefit to you, as often they are crafters, join in pvp warfronts, and help others when asked politely to, although none of this is required.

Sorry guy, you don't matter to me. I know you think you do, but you just don't.

The fact is, most solo players appreciate the game itself often much more than group players, many who use the game as a sort of chat room and spend their time dragging strangers into their real life problems, or as mere tools for their overbloated e-peen.

Thats like saying people who play the game twister alone appreciate it more. I detect epeen envy and all the bitterness that goes along with it. I guess we should all be souless zombies like you when we play online games or else were doing it wrong.

The idea of solo dungeons is not new and is a feature of class AAA mmorpgs such as, for example, Aion and Guild Wars and Age of Conan (and if you want to jump in to trash those game, all I can say is go do it somewhere else). Even WoW has catered to solo dungeon players simply by making their content soloable once you get to a certain level above it.

Thats right, this or that game did it, so you need to do it too. BTW, at level 50 you can go back and pwn FPs like cademimu all day long just like lower dungeons in WoW.

The addition of solo dungeons has one effect: it keeps more people playing their game.

For like what, a couple days? BW better get going on that months of development so that I might want to play their game for 1-2 more days than I would otherwise.

One of the main factors concerning soloable content is alts. You may be a highly sociable player with your main character, for example, but are you going to join guilds with all your alts and only do group content with all of them? MOST players enjoy playing alts as a diversion from the group chatter and look at it as a sort of respite. An mmorpg that doesn't provide a meaningful solo experience for alts has it's own demise built into it.

I love how you just presume why people behave they way they do and your opinion on this is a fact.

I have never met a solo mmorpg player who complained that more group content was being added to the game; yet I have met numerous whiners who think soloers should ****.

I've never met a solo player in a mmo because by the time I'm meeting them, I'm playing the game with them. Keep posting please and may the entertainment value be with you.

I understand everyone that wants content for solo player, but in my opinion the whole idea destroy the single concept of the MMO genre.

And I'll respond by asking : Why are you playing an MMO, if all you want is Solo content? You're better off playing a single player game on a console. I'm sorry, but you knew right off the bat that by playing this game, most of the content would be required to be done in groups.

If that's because you're the sort of person who simply cannot work in team, then maybe this isn't your kind of game. MMOs requires Team Spirit, which you folks asking Single Player content obviously lack.

You're going to tell me that you don't lack it, but then why are you asking for solo content then? For Challenge? You can already try and solo Flashpoints alone if you want. That hardly should matter to you. If you want to solo a Flashpoint, then go ahead and do it.

If you want to solo a Raid, just ask for a friend to put you in a Raid Group, while he does something else, and you'll be able to solo it easy. That's that simple.

You ARE able to solo content. You just don't know how.

Because soloing in an MMO is preferable to playing with people who cry 'entitlement complex' when the original poster was simply saying it would be nice to have the option. Thanks for standing up tall to show us what type of player is less fun than an NPC.

I'd pay extra for a real multi-player game that didn't cave and cater to people like this. People like you have completely ruined good games. Wish you'd just stick to xbox so we can get some figures on real multiplayer gamer demographics and interest.

I don't know. Seems to me SWTOR is already a single player game. All I do is shout LF healer in general chat (and <shudder> daily quests if i feel up to it.)

I for one, am looking forward to GW where they throw the trinity out the window. You shouldn't be forced into specific type of gameplay.

Sifting through the blinding wall of text and various insults to a disagreeing viewpoint, what's your definition of "forced" and satisfying?

If I buy a van, I know I can take the seats out but that doesn't make the van any less smaller or easier when I go to parallel park. It's a van...not a smart car.

There are certain known parameters a consumer must know when making a purchase of any commodity. An MMO has and always will encourage social interaction/grouping. Encouraging isn't forcing it. Also, it's not a requirement for gameplay. Hence, the demographic (however large or small) of soloers that exist in this genre.

Are there rewards, achievements, gear, etc for teaming up that may be unattainable for those who prefer to go it alone? Absolutely. It's an MMO...but does that mean "satisfaction" can't be achieved? It shouldn't. You chose your path of play. No one forced you to go extensively solo...as no one is forcing you to group.

With the companion system, this is the most solo friendly MMO I've ever seen. It baffles me people still have objections to the premise that some things may only be attainable through certain criteria of playing together...again...in an MMO.

If the concept of "you can't have everything in life, Johnny" confuses you, that's not an MMO/Bioware problem...that's a general life problem you weren't properly taught as a child.

Well, they lied with the loot and the companions. They said if a group member leaves, you can just use your companion to fill that slot. YEA good luck. Also they said you won't need to worry about loot due to tokens that drop. Sure. I've been lucky enough to get a healer for 5 hard mode FP runs and only got 1 drop while my friend still has yet to get one. And those tokens are so few in drops, I can't imagine doing another FP since the time invested to reward received is terrible.

So, yea, you're forced to group and the payoff sucks.

There's no MMO law that says that every one of them has to have endgame raiding as the only possible method of PvE endgame progression. In a game like this one, that has companions, that is doubly true.

You're right, there's definitely a difference between single player games and MMOs.

But what allows those things to work in MMOs is the other players. You need to be a part of that ecosystem for it to work, not just consume the benefits of it.

In terms of design, yes... it is a bait and switch and I don't agree with it. My firm believe, with no hard facts, is that BioWare didn't intend to do this... but something changed in the end-game design somewhere along the way to be more WoW-like. I dunno.