Quick Questions about Guardian tank

ConradLionhart

This is not true. You can trigger riposte with guardian slash as well. Far as augments go I have no idea pvp wise. I'm currently testing and trying to figure this out myself. PVE wise a mixture of shield and absorb is best. I'm currently at 50% both absorb and shield in 230 rating gear and 30% defense. Hope this helps. Edited by Ranautus

Hey all,

1. I tried testing this and Riposte seems to only trigger if you totally avoid a melee attack, and not from shielding. Is this true?

Riposte triggers from guardian slash, if you miss(not gonna happen as a tank, due to +10% accuracy outside of dcd's) or if you defend.

So yes, it only triggers from defending, not shielding, as far as mitigation goes.

2. If yes, is it better for a Guardian tank to use defense augments or shield/absorb augments?

Depends if you're playing PvP or PvE.

In PvP, shield, absorb and defense are only of minimal benefit, due to how mitigation works(explained it here). So you're better of with Endurance Augments for higher HP.

In PvE you need defensive stats, but Augment wise, you should only use shield/absorb, because you got more than enough defense already from mods/enhancements.

These are the values you should aim for in PvE in full 242 gear:

Juggernaut - Immortal || Guardian - Defence

75.25% Reduction | 7379 Endurance (2xC, Stim) | 6714 Mastery | 910 Power

3793 Defense | 1894 Shield (2xE, 14xA) | 1720 Absorb (8xE)

C=crystal, E=Enhancement, A=Augment

Ok thanks.

According to this 4.0 guide:

As before defense is still the back bone of Defense, as one of your cooldowns benefits greatly and in tree buffs gain from this stat as well as other aspects of the class as well.

http://dulfy.net/2015/12/30/swtor-4-0-defense-guardian-pve-guide-by-artorias/

May I know which cooldown is he talking about that benefits from defense?

May I know which cooldown is he talking about that benefits from defense?

Probably Saber Ward. But it doesn't really matter. Cause none of those buffs in the tree or from Saber Ward are multiplicative, but additive. Meaning, Saber Ward for example always grants a +50% Defense. No matter what your defense shows in your character sheet. If your defense is 25%, with saber ward you get 75%. If your defense is 30, with saber ward you get 80%. And so on. Same for the buffs in the tree.

And since they changed the gearing in 4.0, so that defense is the only secondary tank stat, meaning it doesn't compete with other stats on it's slot, you have it on every piece anyway. And this is more than enough. So go for shield/absorb with a riughly 50/50 split on augments and enhancements.

Probably Saber Ward. But it doesn't really matter. Cause none of those buffs in the tree or from Saber Ward are multiplicative, but additive. Meaning, Saber Ward for example always grants a +50% Defense. No matter what your defense shows in your character sheet. If your defense is 25%, with saber ward you get 75%. If your defense is 30, with saber ward you get 80%. And so on. Same for the buffs in the tree.

And since they changed the gearing in 4.0, so that defense is the only secondary tank stat, meaning it doesn't compete with other stats on it's slot, you have it on every piece anyway. And this is more than enough. So go for shield/absorb with a riughly 50/50 split on augments and enhancements.

If your defense is 25% on char screen, saber ward pushes you to 100%.

Because like 95% of mobs and bosses in the game have 75% melee/ranged accuracy.

To OP: aim for even shield and absorb percentage if you want to take less damage; aim for higher shield (twice as much shield rating compared to absorb rating) if you want to be less spiky. Ignore defense altogether, don't even look at that number, as long as you don't use dps pieces (aside from relics) your defense will be good enough.

Defense augments and Fortunate Redoubt relic are BiS way to cause shellshock for those 3.5 individuals remaining in the game that know how mitigation works on all levels.

If your defense is 25% on char screen, saber ward pushes you to 100%.

Because like 95% of mobs and bosses in the game have 75% melee/ranged accuracy.

In relation to attackers accuracy, yeah. But this statement

As before defense is still the back bone of Defense, as one of your cooldowns benefits greatly and in tree buffs gain from this stat as well as other aspects of the class as well.
is simply not true. You don't benefit more from Saber Ward or Blade Barricade when you have more defense rating.

Defense augments and Fortunate Redoubt relic are BiS way to cause shellshock for those 3.5 individuals remaining in the game that know how mitigation works on all levels.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, do you suggest that FR and def auments are BiS? Or are you saying that saying that they are is dumb?:confused:

In relation to attackers accuracy, yeah. But this statement is simply not true. You don't benefit more from Saber Ward or Blade Barricade when you have more defense rating.

Never implied high defense benefits ward more. Quite the opposite, actually: even 25% defense is sufficient in most cases for saber ward to deflect virtually everything.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, do you suggest that FR and def auments are BiS? Or are you saying that saying that they are is dumb?:confused:

Shellshock is what they used PTSD back in the day.

They are mathematically better than going in without anything in corresponding slots, though, I'll give them that.