Up the defense on tank classes!!

DarkAngelRiku

Seriously you guys constantly show love to the DPS classes by upping the amount of damage they can do. But when's the last time any tank spec skill trees got any love? Answer, you haven't shown any in a long time. So quit being biased to the DPS classes and make your other spec's and classes a little more viable. How about upping the defense on Juggernaut/Powertech/Guardian to compensate for the constantly increased DPS? Seriously playing a tank right now is not worth it, and if you continue on the path you are with them, tanks may as well be Sorcerers or Operatives in terms of defense.

What the **** are you talking about? Clearly you know next to nothing about tanking. The defense stat is a mitigation stat and has nothing to do with threat generation. Our damage mitigation is generally fine (if you understand the gearing and clearly you don't) and the tank classes are fairly well balanced at this point. If your losing agro on a tank then your rotation sucks and you lack an understanding of threat / taunt mechanics. Some tanks handle agro generation better than others but they are all viable for all current content.

And there are skills in the tank trees that increase threat generation on some abilities.

Edited by Spamfritter

Seriously playing a tank right now is not worth it, and if you continue on the path you are with them, tanks may as well be Sorcerers or Operatives in terms of defense.

I...don't....what? What did I just read? This is hurting my brain.

***???¿¿¿

I can nigh solo things that give nightmares on my PT AND sin. Not to mention that I'm as invincible as it gets(PT 48-ish DR, 8,1k hp lvl 33, Sin 28/25 DRs, 20-ish Def chance, idk hp right now lvl 20).

Besides, the tank classes are the most versatile imo. You have the avoidance tank(shadow/sin), the standard tank(Guard/Jugg) and the, hm, aoe/trash tank(Vang/PT).

What's wrong again?

Seriously you guys constantly show love to the DPS classes by upping the amount of damage they can do. But when's the last time any tank spec skill trees got any love? Answer, you haven't shown any in a long time. So quit being biased to the DPS classes and make your other spec's and classes a little more viable. How about upping the defense on Juggernaut/Powertech/Guardian to compensate for the constantly increased DPS? Seriously playing a tank right now is not worth it, and if you continue on the path you are with them, tanks may as well be Sorcerers or Operatives in terms of defense.

I'll just leave this here...

think the OP fails to understand and it might not be his fault if in a bad guild that he needs to replace alot of stock mods on armour to gain shield chance and absorbtion etc to maximise his tanking potential

most of the tanking gear that comes direct of the vendor is woefully inadequate untill you start swapping them out atleast on republic side thats true

think the OP fails to understand and it might not be his fault if in a bad guild that he needs to replace alot of stock mods on armour to gain shield chance and absorbtion etc to maximise his tanking potential

most of the tanking gear that comes direct of the vendor is woefully inadequate untill you start swapping them out atleast on republic side thats true

The allocation is the same on both sides. Essentially the mitigation stats are worse for Oriconian gear than it was on the Verpine gear. You have less mitigation on the mods and the enhancements are pathetic with only 22 points of defense or absorbtion. Even worse is the absolutely horrid alacrity and accuracy included on many of the pieces. You end up with tanks that have a huge amount of hit points but absolutely pathetic mitigation. These tanks are hard to heal and spiky as hell.

I don't know if that's what the original poster is actually talking about. It sounds more like he's talking about holding threat which largely comes down to rotation and understanding threat and taunt mechanics. It doesn't sound like he does.

My Powertech tank and Assassin tank would highly disagree with you.

The allocation is the same on both sides. Essentially the mitigation stats are worse for Oriconian gear than it was on the Verpine gear. You have less mitigation on the mods and the enhancements are pathetic with only 22 points of defense or absorbtion. Even worse is the absolutely horrid alacrity and accuracy included on many of the pieces. You end up with tanks that have a huge amount of hit points but absolutely pathetic mitigation. These tanks are hard to heal and spiky as hell.

I don't know if that's what the original poster is actually talking about. It sounds more like he's talking about holding threat which largely comes down to rotation and understanding threat and taunt mechanics. It doesn't sound like he does.

This, this, this so much. The Gear is horrible.

The only thing I would like is a few more abilities with heightened threat. I have really a hard time as a beginner to tank the threat of slightly better geared DPS classes, even with perfect rotation. I'd add it to Sweeping Slash.

Sorry?

Are you speaking about PvE or PvP, leveling or end game, bolstered or not?

From my exp. tanking is in pretty nice place when you get it right.

Only issues tanks have (generally speaking) are with much longer gear grind (properly gearing tank need much more grind than DPS/Heal, min maxing is another issue - every end game encounter have different def/shi/abs BIS, DPS/Heal have no such thing, on top for off spec - one more set)

- leveling gear for tanks - crap.

- commendation gear for tanks - bigger crap (only role that get no usable commendation implants).

- even some OPs tokens have crappy mods/enhancements in them

(Have not seen DPS/Heal items with shield on them)

Yeah, we can't get very much besides a few armorings from the commendations vendor. Our mods are crap, the enhancements are completely useless and we have horrible implants. Earpieces are usually decent. and that's about it. Edited by Spamfritter

Yeah, we can't get very much besides a few armorings from the commendations vendor. Our mods are crap, the enhancements are completely useless and we have horrible implants. Earpieces are usually decent. and that's about it.

And? The terrible-ness of these pieces is on purpose so you don't end up with BIS too quickly so you keep playing. Its not just someone sitting there completely oblivious, its a conscious choice by the developers.

And? The terrible-ness of these pieces is on purpose so you don't end up with BIS too quickly so you keep playing. Its not just someone sitting there completely oblivious, its a conscious choice by the developers.

BS. BIS means Best in Slot. So unless you raid Dread Palace on HM you cannot get BIS anyway. It is about stats that makes sense and not this nonsense they call Bulwark. And only Tanks have this type of gear that makes no sense whatsoever. This being a conscious decision, that would be even worse.

In other games that have a similar approach to end game, you still don't get top of the line gear with dailies either, but at least you get some gear that has proper stats.

Bulwark, as it is, makes no sense what so ever. I have seen Juggernaut DPS running around with it because more HP and Alacrity. It is stupid, I agree, but it teaches players a wrong theory about what gear they need.

No wonder new Tanks like me have a hard time getting into raids when people get teached that all that matters is more HP.

Edited by Kortio

BS. BIS means Best in Slot. So unless you raid Dread Palace on HM you cannot get BIS anyway. It is about stats that makes sense and not this nonsense they call Bulwark. And only Tanks have this type of gear that makes no sense whatsoever. This being a conscious decision, that would be even worse.

In other games that have a similar approach to end game, you still don't get top of the line gear with dailies either, but at least you get some gear that has proper stats.

Bulwark, as it is, makes no sense what so ever. I have seen Juggernaut DPS running around with it because more HP and Alacrity. It is stupid, I agree, but it teaches players a wrong theory about what gear they need.

No wonder new Tanks like me have a hard time getting into raids when people get teached that all that matters is more HP.

Why do you need BiS if you're not raiding DP/DF HM? Some things need to be exclusive to the people who put in the time and effort to get them, not just farming commendations.

It also holds true to my point, that those commendation pieces are just there to waste time. You can get somewhat close to BiS if you tear out the mods and enhancements and cobble them together into a working set, but you shouldn't ever get BiS without doing the hardest content available.

Edited by Phyltr

Ok so in my opinion a tank without a proper healer will fail for example in a wz i got 15 medals as a tank and people gave me some epic heals during another wz i only had 5 medals because there was no one to heal me. I think that the way you tank depends on the amount of healing you recieve, but that's just my opinion.

It's ******** because it's a longer grind than it is for any of the other classes. In a game where tanks are seemingly few and far between that's hardly incentive for people to want to gear their tanks or roll one with the horrible gear grind (comparatively) in mind.

I apologize for not being a little clearer. I typed up this post on little sleep. Basically yes I do realize it could just be my gear but I was talking from a more PvP standpoint. I can tank PvE just fine. It could be just something I'm doing wrong yes I admit that as well, but this is just from my own perspective as an Immortal Jugg. To me it seems like we can mod up all we want, but no matter what we put in, or taunt or guard against we still seem to get wiped through like paper. I had always assumed that tank meant hard to kill, but with less and less people playing healer (or just crappy matchmaking) that tank is going to go down.

I've seen DPS getting this and that, or losing this and that in the updates. But...I haven't really seen Immortal getting much love from the past few updates. Meanwhile X Class gets a damage buff constantly? I just feel that to compensate for that since you might not always get a healer in WZ, that a tank should get some sort of defense boost to help keep that damage in check.

That survivability is really no different than PvE, no? If you tank HM FPs/OPs and you don't have a healer, how long do you really survive under a heavy damage load? You certainly will last longer than DPS classes, but if you're being focused even as a tank you aren't meant to survive forever. Even on my Sin tank in PvP I feel that between the available cooldowns and means of escape I'd be overpowered if I could just soak damage up without any healing being done.

Maybe Immortal could use some touching up though. I hardly ever run my Jugg in PvP, so I won't comment too heavily on that specific spec. They don't seem what I'd call flimsy by any means/

I've played my Jugg vengeance since I created him... shortly after this game launched. Either I'm messing something up horribly... or Immortal DPS is... a sad joke. Yes, you get great cooldowns. But you lose the same amount of HP because the fights are taking longer. (As I said - maybe I'm not doing it right?)

If I have the choice between regging after destroying an enemy in 20 seconds and regging after gnawing on him for 5 minutes... I take the 1st option. Not to mention that in pvp a good fokus helps the healer even more than a taunt or intercede. Well... about the same... but those two things can be done as vengeance, too.

I've played my Jugg vengeance since I created him... shortly after this game launched. Either I'm messing something up horribly... or Immortal DPS is... a sad joke. Yes, you get great cooldowns. But you lose the same amount of HP because the fights are taking longer. (As I said - maybe I'm not doing it right?)

If I have the choice between regging after destroying an enemy in 20 seconds and regging after gnawing on him for 5 minutes... I take the 1st option. Not to mention that in pvp a good fokus helps the healer even more than a taunt or intercede. Well... about the same... but those two things can be done as vengeance, too.

Immortal isn't a DPS spec. It's a tanking spec. And if you aren't geared right then being in the Immortal tree won't help you a whole lot in terms of survivability. And yes the fights will take longer because it isn't a DPS spec. What the **** is regging? And while focusing (spelled with a "c") a target that's attacking a healer is helpful do not underestimate what taunts and intercede can do for a healer. But as a tank you should have the healer guarded in a warzone or an arena which is more helpful than either of those abilities and you have to be in the tank stance to use that ability.

Also, AoE taunts won't be useful to Vengeance Juggernauts in 2.7 as it will become a threat drop in anything but Soresu form.

Edited by Spamfritter