Questions about Guilds

Akumakazama

Each day I play i become more and more upset.

This if from my point. I have not seen any different. :mad:

1. Why most guilds are "Vent/Teamspeak/etc or ****" ?

They might not say that but they act like that. I understand Vent and the like for Raids. But just for small things...or "I just don't like typing. That not my thing.

2. Guilds that claim to be social....but are not actually social?

Some claim this one goes with #1. Ive been told that "no one read chat. That everyone's in vent. etc.

3. Why did I join a guild to do things together when most want you geared already to the point you don't have to group with anyone only for raids? Ive been 50 for about 2 weeks and not once has my guild put a raid, or Hard Mode flash point run or anything together so i can join.

They might not say that but they act like that. I understand Vent and the like for Raids. But just for small things...or "I just don't like typing. That not my thing.

Because some people just prefer to chat verbally rather than type? Also, in many cases it's probably easier for them to hit their ptt and keep playing rather than have to stop what they're doing to type in chat.

Some claim this one goes with #1. Ive been told that "no one read chat. That everyone's in vent. etc.

Sounds like you picked a bad guild if they don't even read chat but again, a lot of people just prefer to be social in a voice program.

3. Why did I join a guild to do things together when most want you geared already to the point you don't have to group with anyone only for raids? Ive been 50 for about 2 weeks and not once has my guild put a raid, or Hard Mode flash point run or anything together so i can join.

Maybe you should get a different guild? If they don't want to help you gear up then they don't sound like the guild for you.

Guilds are a lot like people, you never really know how they are until you are with them a bit.

I have seen all different styles of guilds and have seen first hand a lot of what you are talking about but the key is to find what fits you best. No one is telling you you cant leave if you are unhappy. I think it is important to inform leadership, or someone in the guild, why you are not happy and leaving because maybe they just dont know.

I know our guild has voice available for anyone to use and we do use it for instances and pvp, but no one is expected to use it. Same with chatting (guild text), no one is expected to chat but it is encouraged to talk about what ever.

As for instances, flash points, ect... It is up to the guild as a whole to try to work these in with it's members. Communication via text or in voice helps a ton with this and depending on the type of players in the guild, it is quite easy to balance.

I guess you just gotta find the best guild for you. Hope that comes soon. :D

Finding the right guild for someone is like the human civilization trying to find a different alien species.... We know that there out there somewhere, they just haven't been found. Just because you might not find it now does not mean it does not exist, It might be that what you are looking for is on a different server

9/10 guild ads are the same:

- friendly, helpful, social, website, hundreds of members, etc..

You get in there and it's 6 dudes online, 4 are real life friends and run HMs with each other exclusively. No one says **** and there hasn't been a post on the forums in a week.

There are way too many guilds these days in all MMO's. Imagine if 50 of the little **** guilds on the server with 4 people online all joined up to make a big active guild. Suddenly finding groups is easier, things don't seem dead, dungeon finders aren't needed, forums are active, ops are always running... MMo's just don't reward guilds like they used to.

Edited by aarka

You get in there and it's 6 dudes online, 4 are real life friends and run HMs with each other exclusively. No one says **** and there hasn't been a post on the forums in a week.

There are way too many guilds these days in all MMO's. Imagine if 50 of the little **** guilds on the server with 4 people online all joined up to make a big active guild. Suddenly finding groups is easier, things don't seem dead, dungeon finders aren't needed, forums are active, ops are always running... MMo's just don't reward guilds like they used to.

I agree totally with this and I truly hope that the guild I am creating will not fall into this category with very few joining. The website I have been working on has been in work for a little more than a week now (trying to polish it a bit, adding guides to help all the new members which are totally new to the MMO style of games and to all those that are working on other aspects of the game). It wont go un-noticed because I am constantly looking over them.

I joined a guild when I first started playing this game at level 12 and got 0 responses from any questions I asked, there was no teaming at all, and the forums were always empty. Even the questions / suggestions i posted on their forums are still unanswered to this day which tells me they just made a guild website just to say they have one and nobody uses it.

The guild I am creating (the one in my sig) will defiantly be one of the more helpful. Reason being is that I will be seeing to it personally. I spent the last part of a decade being fed up with being in the same exact guilds you described to the point where i said screw it... I'm making my own. This is my very first guild I have made but with what I have seen over time (Have been an assistant gm and an officer an many other guilds), I hope I know what works and what does not. Being a casual guild, nothing will be forced or required upon the members. Events will be scheduled but if you don't want to attend, you don't have to but at least you know that they are going on. And if you are asking for help with something, your going to get the help.

Unfortunately, I wont be able to start recruiting for my guild until the 26th due to restrictions on my end but when I do start the recruiting, the best is all i can hope for with the effort i've put forth so far.

In my opinion one should really consider twice before going for a guild that advertises itself with completely bland things that every guild automatically considers to be or has. To me it sounds like they don't really have a clue themselves either what they want out of the guild, except more members apparently.

Well, if you consider this game, the actual game gives zero benefits for being a guild, except for a chat channel. The only benefits are player made, be it social, gaming opportunities or something else. Many guilds provide these things successfully, some not so. If one joins a bad guild at first, it doesn't mean all guilds are bad.

What one should avoid are the people for whom owning their very own guild is the big thing and having people in it who they can consider property makes it even bigger. They won't merge with other guilds for obvious reason and don't really care for their members either. There's quite a lot of these since every person with this sort of mentality has their own. Leaving such guild is the best done fast and go look for proper one actually caring about people within its community. It shouldn't be hard to notice if this is the case.

What one should avoid are the people for whom owning their very own guild is the big thing and having people in it who they can consider property makes it even bigger.

I honestly feel like this comment was directed toward myself since the guild I plan on creating in the near future, I will be claiming ownership of. It's my guild afterall. It's the GM's right to assume ownership of something that they created from scratch. What they make of it and how its ran past the point of creation is a totally different story. If the GM cares about anything that the guild stands for and the members, then the members of the guild should see this. If not, then it seems to be a wasted cause. The members of a guild should in no way shape or form be considered "property" of the guild. If anything, the members would be more like friends or family. People you want to do things with. I Left the military 5 years and know what it feels like to have the feeling of someone thinking they "own you" property wise. It really isn't a good feeling.

I have on the other hand seen MANY MANY guilds form just for the sake of being a guild and nothing more. The majority of these guilds are the ones (in my experience) with names that you just sit back and ask yourself "why would you even consider naming a guild that??? Nothing going on inside and they end up disbanding within a month or 2. But to say stay away from the guilds where the people owning the guild claim ownership and thinks every member of that guild is their property is a bit far fetched

They won't merge with other guilds for obvious reason and don't really care for their members either. There's quite a lot of these since every person with this sort of mentality has their own. Leaving such guild is the best done fast and go look for proper one actually caring about people within its community. It shouldn't be hard to notice if this is the case.

Merging would depend on the views of the 2 GM, the officers and members. Both parties should feel the same way and have common goals. As you said previously, Every person has a mentality of their own so most wont merge because of this. I have seen in the past where 3 different guilds merged to make a massive guild which ended up working out quite well for every member. Yes some members left due to circumstances beyond their control but the vast majority of the members stayed and enjoyed themselves.

If I felt that i was able to join a guild to be able to get out of it what I wanted, Then I wouldn't be creating a guild. If later on there happens to be another guild on my server that just so happens to be doing the same exact thing that I am doing, I will be more than happy to merge with them but until then... well, I have a feeling it will be a long while before I see anything anywhere close to what i am doing.

I honestly feel like this comment was directed toward myself since the guild I plan on creating in the near future, I will be claiming ownership of. It's my guild afterall.

It wasn't directed at you in any way, what you had in plans sounded very good all around. Now that you bring it up I do disagree with you on guild leader claiming ownership. Guild is what people in it make it, it's nothing without them. One or more is naturally leading it but it isn't his/theirs alone, it's everyones in the guild. Being proud of what one accomplishes and putting effort in the guild is great and needed for it to flourish but I still disagree with claiming ownership over it. This still doesn't make you sound like type I described at all, don't worry :) I meant seriously narcissistic people who only care of themselves and need others to boost their ego.

It wasn't directed at you in any way, what you had in plans sounded very good all around. Now that you bring it up I do disagree with you on guild leader claiming ownership. Guild is what people in it make it, it's nothing without them. One or more is naturally leading it but it isn't his/theirs alone, it's everyones in the guild. Being proud of what one accomplishes and putting effort in the guild is great and needed for it to flourish but I still disagree with claiming ownership over it. This still doesn't make you sound like type I described at all, don't worry :) I meant seriously narcissistic people who only care of themselves and need others to boost their ego.

Ok, I see where your coming from and perhaps claiming ownership was over the top because I totally agree that a guild is nothing without the other members. Perhaps i could consider it head of household :cool: Now only if i could claim that on my taxes next year :D

I personally have never seen a guild that has more than 50 spaces on a chat server and have found that those that do as you say ("Come chat on vent...") generally have 300+ members but only 25 spaces which are already filled up with their officers and hard core Raiders. Generally whenever I have been in a guild that says you have to come on vent to chat, I leave.

Now it's true that in our guild we do suggest that people come onto mumble or TS3 for Ops and FP's but really a person shouldn't be forced to go onto chat just to talk. If you want to good for you, but written chat should still be used.

Can't agree more, it's true most guilds will advertise themselves as such but generally it's just to get attention amongst all the other spam in general. The only way to find out is to join a guild and see for yourself, generally those who don't chat in general (and I don't mean all the time, because in our guild there can be gaps of total silence as we do our things) can be pushed back into question 1, they are social amongst the top few.

When you see a guild chat that can be silent for awhile then when someone makes a comment and gets some good replies that is when you have hit the proper social guild.

If it's a small guild you're in I would say give them time to get more people to 50, if it's a big guild with numerous 50's I would suggest you bye-bye and find a different guild.

Guild is what people in it make it, it's nothing without them. One or more is naturally leading it but it isn't his/theirs alone, it's everyones in the guild. Being proud of what one accomplishes and putting effort in the guild is great and needed for it to flourish but I still disagree with claiming ownership over it. This still doesn't make you sound like type I described at all, don't worry :) I meant seriously narcissistic people who only care of themselves and need others to boost their ego.

This is a valid point, a good GM should surround himself with officers with the same outlook, and generally should consider the other members of the guild as his number 1 priority.

Of course everyone wants to finish those Nightmare mode Ops but if you don't support your guild members who exactly are you going to do nightmare modes with?

A guild is made up of more than 1 person and so as a GM you do need to consider that all the time.

It can be frustrating to put your own plans for the night on hold to help a guildmate out but in the long run it will actually benefit you.

Edited by Baeralas

In my opinion, the guild exists to enhance the experience of the players within that guild. The guild serves the players, not vice versa. My ideal guild should be asking itself, "what are we doing to make our players happy, and to improve their experience of playing this game?"

Therefore, if I was looking for a guild, I'd look for one with that attitude.

If *you're* looking for a guild, consider what you want from a guild. What it should do for you, and then see if you can find one with that same philosophy.

Paige

Just another point, and one touched on by others, is that it should be the responsibility of the guild recruiting to be honest with those looking to come in.

Nothing worse than false advertisment. I am up front and honest about our guilds position and try to set proper expectations. This has helped us a lot in both getting people who undertsand our current state but prevents people from feeling they were lied to about this and that.

I also think that people looking to join guilds need to ask more questions to see if it really does fit them. Sure you could be lied to, but at least you did what you could to be sure it might work out or not. Should you choose to leave, you have valid reasons to do so.

One last thing, and it is not something that a lot of players put up with today, but patinece is a huge deal in MMO's. Things take some time to get started, be it a raid, some pvp, guild building. Be sure you are giving a good enough time to allow guilds to work these out before just up and leaving.

Aside from the most important key to any guild, communication, patinece and willingness to work with others make guilds great.

this has probably already been addressed somewhere in the forums, but I haven't seen it. do you guys know of any other ways to find what guilds are on which servers, etc? besides waiting to just meet one by chance in a cave or a trail? is there a "guild search"?:)

this has probably already been addressed somewhere in the forums, but I haven't seen it. do you guys know of any other ways to find what guilds are on which servers, etc? besides waiting to just meet one by chance in a cave or a trail? is there a "guild search"?:)

Only "guild search" is by searching for it through the LFG page, initially it will show players on that planet, but you can search for specific names, guild etc (even the last tab can be changed to show which guild people are in).

I hope that makes sense.

You can try the server group boards.

Find the board for your server of choice and see if any guilds are advertising there.

Still trial and error, though.

Someone might tell you what you want to hear, but once you join up and get in-game you might find that they are not at all what they said they were and not at all what you are looking for.

They might not say that but they act like that. I understand Vent and the like for Raids. But just for small things...or "I just don't like typing. That not my thing

Some guilds like voice some don't. If you don't then make sure the guild knows it upfront or ask them if it is a requirement to use . Using voice is usually a preferance. If it not somethng you like and they make it a requirement than politely say thank you but no thank you.

This depends on how you define social. Some guilds will talk in guild chat constantly unless they are involved in a fight or something, and that is expected. Some guilds also use guild chat for roleplay (if they are a roleplaying guild) so make sure of your interests in the social aspect and find out if they talk/roleplay in guild chat if that is something you like to do. If they don't again say no thank you.

Check and see how many are level 50 and what their schedule is. If you have very few level 50 then that's one reason for not doing hard mode flash points.

Also if there is enough level 50 to do one, then suggest one. Don't put it all on the guild leader/officers to always suggest a flashpoint. The people in the guild can also suggest one if there is not one schedule. Take a little initative and say something. Sometimes they may not know you want to do them if you don't say anything.

Edited by ScarletBlaze