Romance Consequences?

seannymurrs

Been playing SWTOR for about a week now, and love it so far. Sometimes I forget though that I'm playing an MMO (don't have a lot of friends to play with yet). I'm kind of confused about the whole issue of romances in the game. I'm used to games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, where it's ok to experiment with different dialog choices because you can always revert to an older save and redo it. That's obviously not the case in SWTOR, and I'm nervous I'm going to make some sort of irreversible decision. I'm playing as a Jedi Knight, and I know romance will give me darkside points. That I can live with. What I'm confused about is what other consequences are there. Is it possible to "break up" with someone in the game? I just would hate to puruse a romance and then regret it later but be stuck. Rerolling an entire character just to get out of a bad relationship doesn't seem worth it.

Any insight would be appreciated.

A good question, but one i don't hav ethe awnser to. This is my first mmo so i'm use to single player rpgs like you said. And not being able to reload a past save in order to experiment is going to be interesting. Only advice i can give is se where the dialof takes you, decide if it's worth it. (doubt the romance will happen out of the blue) Edited by tlang

So far the only thing romance has done that changed anything was dialog options. Outcomes appear to have remained the same regardless, and I'm 46 and finished with my class story.

Sith Warrior specific: +BIGFATSPOILER

Sith Warrior story wise, I'm married to Malavai Quinn and had him at 10,000 approval and he still betrayed me, if that helps any.

Edited by apantoliani

You can actually romance as a JK without any DS points. I'm not sure if this is something that was changed or just initially miscomunicated, but that is how it is now.

As for consequences, I can only think of one for the JK which is that a your LI will be in need of being rescued at one point in the final dungeon. If you don't romance anyone it is a different companion there. Beyond that and the occasionaly dialogue change, there really are no consequences outside of your conversations with your LI.

As for breaking up, there are dialogue conversations that can get you out, but they aren't in every dialogue with your LI and there aren't too many of them. So once you get past the last one, then you are stuck in the romance, at least for a JK.