A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

I have embarrassingly silly questions:

-could I purchase parts of Oberoan prior to Valor hitting 40?

-does Brutalizer trade in (okay, in the unlikely case, I understand) requires only the purchase of the same part of the Oberoan (i.e. you trade a relic for relic) or the full Oberoan set?

-when/if I trade in Oberoan, do I have to put the bits back into it if I put it onto my pretty gear?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have embarrassingly silly questions:

They are not that silly, considering there is really no clear answer in the game and no immersive way to find out.

-could I purchase parts of Oberoan prior to Valor hitting 40?

No - you can only buy it when you hit 55. You can trade in for ranked comms when you reach 40 Valor.

-does Brutalizer trade in (okay, in the unlikely case, I understand) requires only the purchase of the same part of the Oberoan (i.e. you trade a relic for relic) or the full Oberoan set?

One piece at a time. You CAN buy the oboran weapon and trade it in for the brutalizer one with the ranked comms you saved up. for instance.

-when/if I trade in Oberoan, do I have to put the bits back into it if I put it onto my pretty gear?

No, you need only the shell. But the armorings in the pieces (the ones determining the set bonus, or if it's an offhand item for some) are linked to the slot. The mods and enhancement can be moved, though.

Oh, thank you so much!

So, I will need both level 55 and Valor of 40 to start purchasing Obroan. I will slap augments on my PvE gear then,except relics and implants, and will work on the rest of Obroan set for my new chracter that will have the duration of the game to get to Valor 40 and may be won't end up with two sets of gear.

And yay, Rak event = 2 sets of Legacy gear + Legacy relics. So happy - I had no legacy gear prior to it, so I feel that I did the right thing. For once. So, 3 more days x 3 characters, oh, my! Looks like I had to re-keybind my Mara, I did a crappy job first time round.

So with my Gunslinger then, my goal will be to create Treek's L50 Legacy suit, that the rest of my legacy can use as they grow up, and I will have to go through the double purchase of augments on all pieces but the hat ('cause I will never part with that hat, I don't care what bonuses are lost), relics & implants (that I will augment when I get Obroan ones).

BTW, what does Obroan mean anyway?

Edited by DomiSotto

Not sure... but at least I know what it may possibly be!

And,after playing the endless events, earning things that folks had for a long time (I have legacy gear now, yay!!!), dying more times than I could count, and shaking in my boots for like 3 days (what if it is Huttball? Remember that Sentinel that gallantly killed your Kingpin for you while chatting with your deader than dead toon?), I finally manned up to enter the zones again and do a L55 Daily today.

You can guess how it went by the fact that it took 4 zones out of 4 to get that Daily. It was an Arena once (a new one to me), 2 Alderan Civil Wars and a pull into a Novarre for someone who dropped out. My side were putting out a fantastic fight, but we were still losing. I saw a lot of buffs on the guys I was targeting, so no easy hurts there (well, maybe one or two, my equivalent). I was pulled and tagged about like a rag-doll a few times by the harpoons - a new experience... kicking and whipping did not help much. Maybe I should have taken that damnable No Holds Barred to start running for it.

The upside is that my Valor moved off 21 to... yes, yes, 22!!! Wow! And, looksie, no part of my equipment now is below 140 rating. Yay, warzones! Not yay enough to take on 2 more today though.

My Vanguard is now level 11, and I still did not feel confident enough to put him into lowbies. Maybe L15? And I still want him to be a tank. Stupidly, I am sure.

Dunno if Jwellworth is still around, or if he has by now progressed to the ranked battles, but if anyone else is willing to join, please do! This stuff is like jumping into cold water - it is fun. After you took the plunge! :)

Edited by DomiSotto

Yay, a good PvP morning. The dancing Twileks were back (that alone is a fun start), I think those 2 players just love Hutball.

I got 2 Huttball matches, one old, and one the piping one, and I actually managed to did well on the pipes - the key was to stick to the pipes and not leave when the game moved away. People eventually do come into view, and you can do hell of a damage (though the single-ability 5000 hp hit is still not there for me). Had a lot of fun throwing people off the pipes, but have to remember to drop in cover, as a Mara/Sent managed a jump on me (please, tell me I am immune to force charge while in cover...).

And, I happened to be on the winning team 2 times out of 4, so the dailies went fast :) Valor to 24, I get those pity MVP votes all the time now. :)

What cannot be counted though is how much more comfortable I feel with the character and the battle mechanics. I use cc's a lot, and try to find openings to drop into cover and unload the wounding rotation into the focused target, while staying close to the healer to defend him/her (and as a French Benefit catch the AoE heals). My next goal is to use the Quickdraw, because I am neglecting it.

heh, on another thread everyone with less than 27 thou HP was called clueless, so I just had to check. Apparently, i am a hairbreadth above with 28.5 thou hitpoints. LOOOOL. Don't think it's that great, but with a WZ stim and staying out of the AoE, and running around I manage to live long enough to get some objectives achieved. Still bronze medals only though. :)

Edited by DomiSotto

My Vanguard is now level 11, and I still did not feel confident enough to put him into lowbies. Maybe L15?

On the contrary! :D The lower level you are, the easier PvP is. Yes, you might end up against level 20-29 opponents, and it's not gonna be fun, but all in all, the earlier you start PvPing with a class, the easier and faster you learn how to play the class in PvP. This is due to the limited amount of abilities you initially have at low levels. Makes combat a lot simpler, and the complexity increases in very small increments whenever you gain a new ability.

Like I said way earlier in this thread, when I tried to take my level 51 Sentinel into PvP, it was the single most painful experience I've ever had in this game (even trying to solo Maki'voro was more enjoyable). But PvPing right from the get go with the Juggernaut, Assassin and Operative made it so much easier to learn the classes. At the moment, my Assassin is level 51 and my Operative is at 43, and I still feel very comfortable on them in PvP. But if I had no previous experience and had to try PvPing with them at these levels, I'd get overwhelmed by the amount of abilities I need to use, and most likely get massacred.

As for going tank. Vanguard tanks are great in PvE (soloing heroics like it ain't no thang), but I've never actually seen one in PvP. It's honestly quite rare to see any type of tank in PvP. I just don't think they do very well there, because you can protect a team mate and mitigate a lot of damage, but it's pretty hard to do, and you can probably get more done if you spec for damage. The one exception is Huttball, where being a tank is actually very rewarding. But this, of course has the major downside of, you know... being Huttball.

Had a lot of fun throwing people off the pipes, but have to remember to drop in cover, as a Mara/Sent managed a jump on me (please, tell me I am immune to force charge while in cover...).

You are indeed immune to Force Charge while in cover. :)

Edited by ThirdDementor

Oops, sorry, always thought it was French benefit by some reason, live and learn :)

And, I actually tried my Van in a warzone yesterday - he leveled in the middle of it to the more comfortable L12 (Ha-ha-ha), and got bolsterd to a serious 31 thou hitpoints. Save fore the hitpoints he did not have much to offer (brought a couple of nodes back to they Hyper) and died a few times in the mid. Doesn't pack the punch. The team was playing an interesting match though, trying to hold both pylons. It was very close, and we did lose, but by a tiny margin, I think. So, yep, I guess it's pretty doable. :)

Will think some more about tank vs DPS, but my understanding is for the next 9 levels it's still tanky stat, then re-spec into DPS.... will see. :)

2 WZs this morning, and rather sad. Focused mercilessly, and basically insta-killed in a Tatooine arena no matter how much I was hiding, I swear a lightsabre made it around a corner, lol (wow, still new zones!), and about the same in the Hypergate. Maybe it's the difference between the PvP gear and PvE gear, but yeah, I can only manage in a wake of a good team. Daily didn't reset yet, so I will see if I can start it this afternoon. I am hoping for the weekly today, but will not be able to finish all the dailies.

And, probably going to miss this Weekly on Vangurad, just start tomorrow for the next week. He has plenty of time to get to Valor 40, this wee one :)

Edited by DomiSotto

I feel ya. PvP with my mara was so bad the past few days... I went offline to play some DeusEx:HR...

*shrugs* Tomorrow I'll play around with the housing - riiight because bugs aren't going to kill the game all day. xD and today it's a birthday party (not mine!).

PvP... yeah... well, not with my main. And since I don't do PvE... I'll PYRO! (they need to improve on the awesome of pyro! It doesn't look whicked enough: THOSE POOFS (aka Flameburst) NEED MORE BOOM!

Domi, you're awesome for keeping it up this long. :D

Edited by chillshock

Will think some more about tank vs DPS, but my understanding is for the next 9 levels it's still tanky stat, then re-spec into DPS.... will see. :)

Tanking rocks! :D But really, at the very low levels you actually don't have much "tankiness". You don't have taunt or guard to start with, and those are the main two things everyone wants a tank to use effectively. I think you don't have both until like level 15 or 20? And you don't have an AOE taunt until even after that.

But once you get a few things, you can really make a difference. Here's my fav little story... AHG, me & a healer get out of spawn and round the corner to see this mara who has leaped into the middle of about 5 enemy. He's less than 1/2 health. I intercede (Jug tank) and guard and taunt and the healer goes to it. This guy is doing all the DPS by himself. I'm spamming slows, and other cc as best I can. In my head I'm picturing this poor mara with sabers and guns and knives all around him... barely escaping life ending blow after life ending blow. He's at a sliver of health for almost the whole time. And in the end, we take all 5 of the enemy down. They concentrated on him the whole time (bad play on their part), but we kept him up with 5 on him. Again, in my head I'm seeing him standing in the pile of bodies, panting, sweating, and amazingly looking himself over looking for the fatal wound he's SURE must be there... then I seem him type in chat. "OMG, I LIVED!" heh heh. I guess he was picturing the same thing. So it's really rewarding, IMO. On the other hand I didn't get a single MVP vote (I assume he gave his to the healer - unless he just thought he was so amazing as to survive all by himself :) ), so be prepared to be the unsung hero a lot. (On the other hand, healers tend to notice you if you are a 1/2 way decent tank, and you get MVPs from them.)

But also it's really hard (again, IMO). I find that when I tank I have to keep an eye on everyone, just like a healer does (not knocking healers, they have their own problems, like being the first to get marked and focused :D). Plus leaping into the fray to try to get that DPS mad enough at me to tunnel me instead of my almost dead healer or DPS or even another tank, plus using my Cc's intelligently to help the team survive (it's not all taunts and guard swapping), plus I'm often the last one left standing at a node keeping them from capping while the team waits for the door to open, so trying to survive as long as possible. And my main is a shadow tank, so I'm also often a solo guard (because I have stealth), which is nerve wracking for me - don't like being in a position where I can make the game-losing mistake. :(

Anyway, that's probably not much of a sales pitch. Good thing I'm not in sales. :D (But tanking is really fun.)

Bad days,and good days, eh? But hey, I am still not over the whole idea just how awesome PvP is once you get used to it, win or lose. I feel like a kid who gets candy thrown at her at a parade. Death? No pro. Lost a fight? Now worries, still get your bag full of comms. I can't believe people ask for more! You gotta be kidding me!

I do love PvE though, and still in the very beginning of my road to the end of the class stories :)

I guess, you are right about the tanking. Tanking in PvP won't be much different from the group setting, so if I am freaking out about doing it in a group of strangers, why would I want to PvP the role? DPS after all might be the easiest role to perform as a casual clueless PvP player that I am :)

And, yeah, at L11, my character has no tanking abilities, iirc not even guard. My L19 Jugg has both, but my L30 BH doesn't have a group taunt yet, so that comes even later I think. I have rudimentary AoEs, but they are channel-dependent.

But at Level 12, I got my cryo-grenade, so LOOK OUT, I am now dangerous! I can, like, cc you!

Edited by DomiSotto

DPS after all might be the easiest role to perform as a casual clueless PvP player that I am :)

Oh, and I didn't mean to dissuade you from tanking. As a quick-n-dirty guide to getting started (which I, by no means, will claim is definitive - but I think it's OK).

1. Start by picking a healer, (or a DPS) you think is likely to get focused. Even if you don't have any "tank" abilities - follow them around, and try to make life h-e-double-toothpicks for anyone that attacks them. Use your Cc's to try to slow any attackers down, attack any attackers, etc. Be your girl's "pocket tank". It's not the "best", but it's a good way to start in my opinion.

2. Once you get your guard, of course, throw the guard on them (transfers 50% dmg to you - but it has limited range, 15' I think). Once you get a taunt, keep it on cool down, but don't taunt the person you just 8-second mezzed, because why taunt a guy that's not attacking. (BTW, do you know how taunt works in PvP? - it doesn't make them attack you, it reduces their dmg by 20% unless they attack you.)

3. After you get used to watching after one person, then start to expand your "horizons" to watch out for more. Sometimes you will have your hands full just looking after your groups healer, but a lot of times you can start to "guard swap" (move your guard to whoever is being attacked). And AoE taunt groups of enemies of course.

4. Then start reading tanking guides from people way better than me. :D

Aww, nice :) I dunno, I will see how it goes and how it flows.

I remembered the patch tomorrow morning, so stayed up late after we did the BH wrap-up (that bowcaster will be mine in September!), to finish my weekly/daily (40 planetary comms, hurray, time to update the companion gear!). I am afraid I can't even report much apart I think we won a traditional Huttball and an Alderaan CW (yes, finally!) and had an arena that was memorable because it was so lousy. I gotta catch some sleep!

I still have trouble targeting properly at close range with 'target the center screen enemy' :( Actually screwed me up a couple of times in levelling today.

Still getting pity MVPs, so valor to 26. I firmly occupy the 3rd position on the bottom, rarely getting any higher than that, but damages seem to go higher (I swapped my barrels to 156 rating).

I'll try to try the trooper again tomorrow. With a cryo grenade, and all the rest of the L12 brilliance. Don't think my Trooper is going to get pity MVPs, being a male char, and seriously lacking the cuteness factor, lol.

Don't think my Trooper is going to get pity MVPs, being a male char, and seriously lacking the cuteness factor, lol.

I find that usually MVPs are given to:

- Friends and Guildmates

- The most healing done

- The most damage

- Sometimes the most protection (from some healers prob)

- Being last in scoreboard but not useless (i.e. 7 marks but because almost no one came to your guarded node)

Cuteness can hardly be seen. I usually give my MVP to: A healer who stuck to me / gave me lots of green love. Or an excessively useful teammate whom I noticed to prefer team-effort, communication and goals to gaining personal stats or his ranking on the board.

Honestly, none of this applies, I think, so I am still going with my cute Twi'lek + pity votes :) I am very positive the result will be different on the second toon. Will compare once he gets to L55! But by then I should be like getting silver, right? :o

Anyway, forgot to share. Yesterday, one of the zones, I could not believe my very own eyes - I puged into a set of 2 Sages and 5 (!!!) Shadows with my lonely Gunslinger. Come on, I know stealth DPS rules, but that was a bit overboard. We lost too. Goes to show, the class ain't everything!

Anyways, hope to start Van tonight, kindda excited! I'll call it: "Screw GF for Esseles!"

Heh, did a daily on 3 Warzones. First was arena, that we lost, and if I knew how, I would just quit those outright. Then a Hypergate the team won - I basically went to guard (one of the folks told me my gear makes her/him cry, and I agreed that, it has the same effect on me & suggested we weep together :) ) But I just kept guarding the node, dying in the mid, and everyone was happy, I suppose since nobody commented on my eclectic set no more. And, we lost a very hectic Novare. Then, I queued, and pulled another arena, panicked and logged out. Can't log back in, says it's a full server. Hey, I suppose that's the punishment :) I am also getting lags, I think. Server's too busy? Edited by DomiSotto

Its normal to get destroyed in a PvP match if you're new to it, all that matters is that you actually liked it enough to click the queue button the next day, and its not really any reason to be afraid of PvP... just be aware of whats going on around you, like in a raid, or in a rp session, tunnel vision is a reason for many losses from enemy node capping. Play your role and attack the targeted players, also just to be sure take a review of your skill tree and abilities, you might have missed something vital to your rotation. Lastly, dont pay too much mind to s talkers...but stay open to suggestions :D

Oh, I am happy. Thing is, I can't argue on any point, so I don't take offense. Yeah, I am an ungeared noob. Yep. Still wanna play, my bad. If there is one on another team, we're even, if not, well, we gonna die anyway. It's not even Pub vs Imp any more as far as I can tell on L55. Which is why I want to get back to lowbies tomorrow.

It's just under-geared as I am, I can't really do a thing in a 4x4, so I want to stay out of those till I am Obroan at least. Even that is probably too little too late without much skill.

Forgot to check the valor before logging out, but I know it was 27 at some point, so it probably still is. At least that second Hypergate placed me to silver for once, that gotta help. So, a couple of weeks to 40? Heh.

Edited by DomiSotto

Anyway, forgot to share. Yesterday, one of the zones, I could not believe my very own eyes - I puged into a set of 2 Sages and 5 (!!!) Shadows with my lonely Gunslinger. Come on, I know stealth DPS rules, but that was a bit overboard. We lost too. Goes to show, the class ain't everything!

That one really depends on the enemy team's composition. Last time I got into a team with 5 Operatives, we absolutely decimated the enemy team, 'cause they were a bunch of squishies (mostly Sages and Gunslingers). Probably wouldn't have gone so well if they had 5 Vengeance Juggernauts.

Heh, did a daily on 3 Warzones. First was arena, that we lost, and if I knew how, I would just quit those outright. Then a Hypergate the team won - I basically went to guard (one of the folks told me my gear makes her/him cry, and I agreed that, it has the same effect on me & suggested we weep together :) ) But I just kept guarding the node, dying in the mid, and everyone was happy, I suppose since nobody commented on my eclectic set no more. And, we lost a very hectic Novare. Then, I queued, and pulled another arena, panicked and logged out. Can't log back in, says it's a full server. Hey, I suppose that's the punishment :) I am also getting lags, I think. Server's too busy?

You can leave warzones by right-clicking the warzone button on your minimap, then clicking "Leave Warzone" (or however the exact button is called). I've made a thread about it and asked, and the general concensus is, so long as you do it when there's still 30+ seconds before the warzone starts, it's completely acceptable, because your team will get a replacement in time.

I have only read part of the thread, but the advice is generally good.

Always remember that people who sign up for a PuG have no right to complain, they chose to join a group which is potentially unbalanced, has undergeared and/or new/inexperienced players.

If they cant handle that, they should find themselves a pre made or not queue at all.

I play all classes in PvP in end game and mostly in PuGs - double Pre,s in the main are for sad acts who just want to face roll as far as I am concerned, especially those who consist of all fotm classes. I have no problems with mixed or single pre,s at all (people will always want to play with friends).

Snipers always struggle in 4 v 4 arenas if the opponents know what they are doing (with the exception of a few very good players), so don't feel bad if you find this hard or die quickly, just try to learn to optimise your positioning and do your best.

I always welcome new players I,m teamed with. So we lose a few matches, if people cant take losing they shouldn't pvp,

It's just under-geared as I am, I can't really do a thing in a 4x4, so I want to stay out of those till I am Obroan at least. Even that is probably too little too late without much skill.

Obroan gear is bought with regular WZ commendations now, not Ranked, so there's no need to wait. I would prioritise getting the 2 relics, then 4 pieces for the set bonus. Level 53 blues used to be the bolster-of-choice, but I think Black Market level gear (rating 162s) now give very nearly full bolster but potentially with better stats than Obroan. Since you're already using Moddable shells, augment all those -- use the blue "skill augment 28"s, they're pretty cheap. If you think it's going to take you a long time to get your relics, implants and earpieces upgraded to Brutalizer, just augment them once you have them at Obroan.

(EDIT: I'm assuming you've hit 55, if not a lot of the above doesn't apply, since you can't buy any "real" PVP gear before then -- but you CAN get a set of level 53 blues from GTN long before you get to 55, so at least you won't be horrendously squishy at the start. Getting the matrix shards to make your level 50 matrix cube is definitely worthwhile also. Finally, as you may have been hinting in your post above, once you hit Valor 40 you can start converting "excess" WZ comms to Ranked comms so you don't go over the WZ comms cap).

Finally, make sure you're using a PVP talent spec when you queue -- pick defensive talents over ones that simply increase damage by a small margin. (It used to be that you could re-spec inside the warzones, but now you're locked from the moment you queue).

Edited by LilyJedi