[BUG] Creeping Terror not Equal to Sage Equivalent

Methanos

So, my main is a DPS Balance Sage. I use the capstone skill - Sever Force - as my bread and butter for killing melee classes. On a Sage, this ability can be used omni-directionally, so you can run and root without facing your target.

I have recently levelled a Sorc to 50, and was surprised to find that this is not the case for the Sorc equivalent - Creeping Terror - for which you must face your target to apply the effect.

Now, I have no idea which of these reflects the intentional skill function, but I would certainly hope it is the Sage version. Creeping Terror's uni-directional usage makes kiting players in PvP 100% more difficult, to the extent that it's actually enough to make me rethink speccing this skill altogether. When pounced upon my a Concealment Operative for instance, I run and root... on a Sorc dps, the few seconds you spend turning to root your target can make a world of difference, when distance is key to your survival.

I find it odd that nobody has noticed this till now, unless it's in a thread somewhere which I haven't seen...

Edited by Methanos

Can't say I've noticed it since I don't have a sage at that level, though on my sorc I'm used to being an easier kill than a sage. Purely down to the fact that all my big flashy purple lightning abilities are much more noticeable than your tiny pebbles and rocks. Also why does force quake shake the screen but force lightning doesn't!?!? I currently have a 25 sage I'd love nothing more than to be level 50, though my Sorc and Sage are on different accounts so I cannot legacy mail my gear at 50.

I've said it once and I will say it again, the classes are NOT mirrors. I do no play a Sage but I will trust this OP in what they are stating and am not surprised. It is my PERSONAL experience that the Republic classes are easier, do more damage and are more effective.

Anyone else think it's time for a balancing of factions?

I have both a Sage and Sorc. I raid with both and run the balance/madness spec with both. I have not noticed a difference here. In my experience, it seems that sometimes you can get it to activate on the run, and other times not. With both classes.

I'm not saying definitively that this is not true. I will have to test it specifically to be sure. But I have not noticed a difference.

I will admit, I've only tested this in PvP as that is my core interest in the game.

On my sage, Sever Force applies without hindrance, whether I'm running, or facing away from the target, or standing still.

I noticed it on my Sorc because I found myself frantically spamming it on a number of occasions because it would not apply. I tried this both running and standing still, but the only way I was able to get it to work, was when I was facing the target. Perhaps it is more noticable in PvP, because I have come to rely so much on the root for my survivability.

I've said it once and I will say it again, the classes are NOT mirrors. I do no play a Sage but I will trust this OP in what they are stating and am not surprised. It is my PERSONAL experience that the Republic classes are easier, do more damage and are more effective.

That's quite false.

In this case (and in any other two mirror classes) Sages and Sorcerers have the exact same abilities, the same skill trees, the same play style and the same damage output whether you choose the Republic class or the Empire one.

That is the very definition of mirror classes.

The fact that animations are different sometimes give a slight advantage to one of the two classes (like what used to happen with Shock vs Project, when Shock's damage was immediately applied to the target and Project's older animation made it apply after 1sec or something).

It is that difference in animations that makes up the sum of differences between mirror classes (well, that and the fact there are two factions).

I, for example hate the animation for Force in Balance compared to Deathfield or the abysmal animation for Forcequake which for some reason 8/10 of the times doesn't even show the green area of the AoE for me unlike Force Storm, but I much prefer the Consular's Force Wave that has a "force push" feeling instead of the Inquisitor's Overload.

Edited by TheNahash

You are completely wrong in every way. The classes are mirrors. The abilities are EXACTLY the same other than animation and do the exact same damage. The only slight advantage one class gets over another is in a few cases where animations makes a difference.

For example, I prefer my Sage to my Sorc in PvP because the lightning animations tend to draw a lot of attention. As a Balance Sage, I can stand in an out-of-the-way spot and use all my DOTs and Force in Balance and TK Throw and they sometimes can't immediately tell where I am. As a Sorc, I can do the same with my DOTs and Death Field, but the giant lightning bolts tell people exactly where you are when you cast force lightning.

If the OP is correct here, then it is a bug which needs to be reported so it can be fixed.

I can honestly say that I feel my Sage does alot more damage than my Sorc in PvE, or atleast Qyzen is a far better tank. Qyzen is taking very little damage on my Sage and it just seems a whole lot easier to PvE on it. That being said, both gain companions at different levels.

How much damage you do depends completely on your gear. Assuming you are using the same build, you are doing exactly the same damage if your gear is identical, regardless of what you "feel." Qyzen and Khem are both melee tanks. I actually like Khem better because he uses strength gear, which is easier to find than Qyzen's Aim gear.

The Shock animation may be an issue, but all the two Sage abilities where they throw pebbles and grab something form the ground and throw it, does different TYPES of damage. Sorcs Shock and Force Lightning does Energy while the Sage goes Kinetic. Is this correct first of all, because if it is, I will continue my point.

Again, regardless of your point, I made this thread to highlight the bugged inconsistency between Sever Force and Creeping Terror so please don't derail the topic.

If you want to discuss general class balance issues, take it to General Discussion.

Again, regardless of your point, I made this thread to highlight the bugged inconsistency between Sever Force and Creeping Terror so please don't derail the topic.

If you want to discuss general class balance issues, take it to General Discussion.

The animation is different. That's. About. It.

Sage and Sorcs are mirrors the same way Commandos and Mercs are. Yeah how they use their abilities are different (rifles vs dual blasters; projectiles/energy vs lightning) but the same abilities, gear, trees, gameplay concept is allthe same way. Lol probably the only real difference ive seen on my server is the healer to dps ratio of Sages is like 4:1 in PvP as opposed to Imperial side. I dont think i had a single pvp match last week where i didnt see the "3-healer, smashers" combo. I agree that the lightning makes more of a show and so you become more obvious but thats it

The Shock animation may be an issue, but all the two Sage abilities where they throw pebbles and grab something form the ground and throw it, does different TYPES of damage. Sorcs Shock and Force Lightning does Energy while the Sage goes Kinetic. Is this correct first of all, because if it is, I will continue my point.

Kinetic and energy damage are treated exactly the same. They are both mitigated equally by armor and abilities. They merely have different names. Internal and elemental damage are the damage types that ignore armor.

Well, that and the fact that Sever Force can be activated omni-directionally, and Creeping Terror only uni-directionally...

Lol I know you are trying to prove that by restating it but no its not. I have dropped CT on players and op bosses while facing them and having my back turned (although this isnt always 100%). And having fought enough Sages ive seen them miss when they try dropping SF on my as I chase behind them. The abilities have mirrored effects and circumstances with the only difference being animation. Thats like you saying Smash only hits the people in front of me while Force Sweep hits in 360degrees. No lol they are the same

You've seen them "miss?" How could you have seen them miss? The ability doesn't 'miss'...

On my sage, I've never once had Sever Force fail to apply. Within an hour of speccing it on my 50 sorc, I noticed it failing to apply.

Well, that and the fact that Sever Force can be activated omni-directionally, and Creeping Terror only uni-directionally...

Creeping terror attacks directly in front and 90` to the right and left like every other targeted instant in the game.

If what you're saying is true, sever force is bugged. The only skills I can think of that can be activated directly behind you while moving are heals/bubbles/cleanses/guards/target-free aoe/mouse target aoe's (things of that nature). I know of no other targeted instant attack that does what you're suggesting.

Lol I know you are trying to prove that by restating it but no its not. I have dropped CT on players and op bosses while facing them and having my back turned (although this isnt always 100%). And having fought enough Sages ive seen them miss when they try dropping SF on my as I chase behind them. The abilities have mirrored effects and circumstances with the only difference being animation. Thats like you saying Smash only hits the people in front of me while Force Sweep hits in 360degrees. No lol they are the same

You're confusing force in balance with sever force.

FiB= Death Field (aoe that's targeted with a mouse and can be used in any direction)

Sever Force = creeping terror (targeted instant dot that roots)

You've seen them "miss?" How could you have seen them miss? The ability doesn't 'miss'...

On my sage, I've never once had Sever Force fail to apply. Within an hour of speccing it on my 50 sorc, I noticed it failing to apply.

The ability can miss. Every one has a base defense of 5% with sorcs having a base of 10% and snipers with 20 while in cover. That means with 101% force accuracy you have a 4% chance to miss on every dot tick on your standard target.

Back on topic though, this needs to be tested. Soonerjbd you have a sorc and sage correct? Can you test both abilities in a duel and see which is there is any targeting difference?

Creeping terror attacks directly in front and 90` to the right and left like every other targeted instant in the game.

If what you're saying is true, sever force is bugged. The only skills I can think of that can be activated directly behind you while moving are heals/bubbles/cleanses/guards/target-free aoe/mouse target aoe's (things of that nature). I know of no other targeted instant attack that does what you're suggesting.

Affliction can be used omni-directionally

I know for a fact that Sever Force can be used omni-directionally, as I've often lamented that Force Slow doesn't work in the same way.

And yes, I should have been more clear. I do rarely get a 'resist' from SF, but the skill still activates and goes onto cooldown. Creeping Terror won't even activate from behind.

Edited by Methanos

You're confusing force in balance with sever force.

FiB= Death Field (aoe that's targeted with a mouse and can be used in any direction)

Sever Force = creeping terror (targeted instant dot that roots)

I actually knew exactly what I was talking anout. Obviously FiB and DF can miss what I meant was is a Sage being chased by me will not always land a SF if he doesnt at least pivot himself for a closer scope at me. Yes its possible to hit a target behind you because ive done it with CT as long as i was close enough to them and they were targeted

I actually knew exactly what I was talking anout. Obviously FiB and DF can miss what I meant was is a Sage being chased by me will not always land a SF if he doesnt at least pivot himself for a closer scope at me. Yes its possible to hit a target behind you because ive done it with CT as long as i was close enough to them and they were targeted

I have just re-tested Sever Force on my sage in PvP. I can categorically confirm that Sever Force is totally omni-directional.