Should I roll a DPS Commando or Gunslinger?

xyrmagus

As the title says, I'm interested to see the community break down some pros/cons for each of these. My altoholism continues to make it difficult to select a main...

I have a 30 gunslinger (pretty fun since I just got trickshot) and a 50 mercenary (though I want to play republic right now, so making a new commando is reasonable), so I kind of know what to expect, but again I'm not entirely sure what to expect for endgame for each of these (as I haven't played either at 55 endgame). I'm interested in both PvP and PvE breakdowns!

I can't speak for commandos, but I've been told, repeatedly, by everyone, that Gunslingers have the highest raw DPS in the game. Though that was a few patches ago, and things might have changed. I'm counting on you parsing statistics experts to correct me if I'm wrong. Nevertheless, gunslingers are certainly viable in endgame PvE.

They're also strong in PvP due to the amount of cc and damage they have, and the fact that Force Charge cannot be used on them while they're in cover. I mean, let's look at it from a Juggernaut's perspective:

You can't Charge, so you gotta run towards the Gunslinger. You take a few steps and boom, you're rooted and take free damage. Root ends, you keep running, and whoops, a knockback. Meanwhile you're taking some more damage. But you keep walking, finally get into melee range, but alas, they have their regular stun. Even more damage. Hell, let's say you quickly break that stun, good thing they still have their Flashbang available to create a large distance and start hitting you all over again.

With this in mind, Gunslingers can duel just about anyone except the stealth classes.

Edited by ThirdDementor

I can't speak for commandos, but I've been told, repeatedly, by everyone, that Gunslingers have the highest raw DPS in the game. Though that was a few patches ago, and things might have changed. I'm counting on you parsing statistics experts to correct me if I'm wrong. Nevertheless, gunslingers are certainly viable in endgame PvE.

They are currently the lowest parsing (except rollbang Slinger using said rollbang on CD with the five bombs oping on the boss). But Sniper can dish out HUGE burst in PvP. Sabo > AS OR Sabo > SoS in Sabo spec can hit for like 40-50% of someone HP.

They are currently the lowest parsing (except rollbang Slinger using said rollbang on CD with the five bombs oping on the boss). But Sniper can dish out HUGE burst in PvP. Sabo > AS OR Sabo > SoS in Sabo spec can hit for like 40-50% of someone HP.

My understanding is that rollbang is being nerfed in 2.9... is there any compensation coming at the same time?

Also, balance *RIGHT* now isn't a huge concern for me; I'm looking at bigger picture. Raw DPS is a matter of tweaking numbers...from a mechanics perspective, assuming their DPS was completely equal, how do they stack up? Which would you prefer in your FP/Op (again, assuming equal dps). Finally, what does the population of these two look like at end game? Are there a ton of either?

No class changes in 2.9 at all. 2.10 and 3.0 will change a lot, but cant really tell at this point.

I have a Commando at 55 and the Gunslinger's Imperial mirror (Sniper) at 55 as well. Side by side in Ranged DPS, would say they preform rough the same depending on spec. I favor rotations that are fairly easy so my Commando is Gunnery and my Sniper has always ran Marksmen (Sharpshooter for a GS). Both specs have great burst, decent-great sustained DPS, and lots of utility.

What Is dislike is having to stay in one spot to really use my full rotation, and while Gunnery makes a Commando basically a Gunslinger w/o Cover movement wise, I can still just move 2 steps and continue on, instead of having to jump to get out, moving, hitting an extra button for cover (yes you can roll and do the same) then get back into killing.

Add to that all Trooper wear Heavy Armor, and Commando can heal themselves, I would favor the Commando more. Dont get me wrong, I love how my Sniper can murder people, but the being a stuck in place turret can get old quick