Is anyone else BORED with flashpoints?

Rhetorical question, of course you are (that is unless you've yet to hit level 50).

The real question is which would you prefer: MORE flashpoints, or seeing the developers tinker substantialy with the existing ones so that they become more dynamic, unpredeictable, and immersive experiences?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't knock on the people for asking for something simple. I agree more dynamism would be great, but if we go too far into the clouds with crazy-high game-changing suggestions/demands, the devs wouldn't take this thread seriously at all. It's pretty clear this team works in baby steps.

I think suggestion threads should start with a conservative suggestion, then extrapolate it out with something like "and if that works, the next step could be to expand it to high concept X", etc... not "OMG-total-rework-you-better-hire-50-new-programmers."

That said, more choice branches in existing flashpoints would be a good start but we'll probably only see that in future flashpoints, just as they said they're making Makeb more sandbox but aren't reworking all the existing planets.

Edited by Stenrik

Don't knock on the people for asking for something simple. I agree more dynamism would be great, but if we go too far into the clouds with crazy-high game-changing suggestions/demands, the devs wouldn't take this thread seriously at all. It's pretty clear this team works in baby steps.

Not trying to knock anyone for it, and I definitely agree with the last part of your sentence.

That said, I think we can try aiming a little higher than hard modes and ready checks.

I would like to see a Nightmare mode for flashpoints. I do not require any gear or shiny loot from this, I just wish to see a 4man challenge that requires a coordinated team. I.e, it would require you to play with 3 friends and probably use voice chat. That would be awesome.

I don't know 7 people that are interested in PvE, and I myself am not interested enough to dedicate myself to join an active raiding guild because that typically means you lose 3 evenings or more a week. I can easily take 3 friends with me and do things, though... but the content is so damn boring, because it's too easy for a coordinated team.

So that's what I would've wanted to see.

Edited by Majspuffen

Something new and less the same old. I only do flashpoints once and after that I don't bother doing it again since I have already seen it. Maybe content you can do in the world.. and I am not talking about dailies here.

Oh and dynamic flashpoints? Yeah I'd like that.

Edited by Skorz

I would like to see a Nightmare mode for flashpoints. I do not require any gear or shiny loot from this, I just wish to see a 4man challenge that requires a coordinated team. I.e, it would require you to play with 3 friends and probably use voice chat. That would be awesome.

I don't know 7 people that are interested in PvE, and I myself am not interested enough to dedicate myself to join an active raiding guild because that typically means you lose 3 evenings or more a week. I can easily take 3 friends with me and do things, though... but the content is so damn boring, because it's too easy for a coordinated team.

So that's what I would've wanted to see.

Nightmare mode for Flashpoints would indeed be nice :). HM just isn't enough of a challenge for me anymore unless I'm in a group that has no idea what they're doing.

... And now I'm picturing that Assassin who soloed Malgus on HM doing it again on NiM :D

Edited by Ardim

I suppose i am, latley i cant seem to get past the character selection screen, then when i do log in I usually log out once i hit a loading screen, i guess after 4 50's you just get bored in general. Really would like more to DO.

The hamster wheel for gear is played out, i want to do some starwarsy stuff or explore, just something.

Edited by kirorx

Think along these lines: Colicoid War Games, for instance. The game keeps telling you you're competing in a contest against rival players…

…except you're not.

Now what if that flashpoint were timed, and you had to run those challenges against the opposite faction? What if you could keep sabotaging them, setting up traps along the way?

The possibilities are endless (click my sig to know a little more)

Edited by mourasantos

Rhetorical question, of course you are (that is unless you've yet to hit level 50).

The real question is which would you prefer: MORE flashpoints, or seeing the developers tinker substantialy with the existing ones so that they become more dynamic, unpredeictable, and immersive experiences?

My suggestion for a dynamic flashpoint or operation...

The lower flashpoints are pretty engaging overall, not too bad even if they are repeated over and over. A few of them could probably use a pass over to spice them up a bit, but generally they were designed reasonably well.

One of the problems IMO is the horrible group finder tool that exists in this game. I find myself constantly using chat to find a group instead. I think one thing that might help is an LFG tag we could wear over our head.

World PvP with objective.

Harder versions of t1 would be nice though if it were on par with like Lost Island with maybe a chance at Rakata at the end. I guess they will go that kind of route since thye just ramped up the gear which is usually followed by them making it easier to fill the gap for entry players. Operations would be a bad choice since most people don't like raiding or have a life that can revolve around it.

Edited by sumuji

I think for me bouncing up a new tier difficulty would be nice, something to keep those who have a harder time working operations into their schedule occupied. Lost Island is a nice example of a hard mode that is a step above the existing ones. With 7 tier 1's and 1 tier 2 it would seem a good way to go would be bumping a couple of the "shared" ones into tier 1 to add diversity (Mando Raiders, Collicoid, and Cademimu would be my picks) while making a couple new tier 2 ones.

This way for quick easy comms there's a good variety offered (and it is much easier from a design standpoint then crafting an entire fresh flashpoint) while at the top end it isn't LI or nothing.

The difference would be that the new tier 2's are tuned such that regular mode is on par with HM LI, so the hardmode of those would comprise a new tier 3. Since at 50 regular modes are pretty irrelevant this makes sense and allows extra tuning without making as many new flashpoints.

This way you would have basically

tier O-- Regular flashpoints (blues/purples and the occasional tionese piece)

Tier 1-- Regular Hardmodes (tionese Segue-ing into columi)

Tier 2-- Lost Island HM and new regulars (Columi moving into Rakata)

Tier 3-- New HM's (Rakata moving into Black Hole)

Basically this way some sense of progression is built into the equation whereas now it is far to easy to outgear HM's before you even really start on them-- especially if you both pvp and pve, you can be fully Aug'd Battlemaster with a couple War Hero pieces and basically eliminate the Columi/Tionese steps.

Figure there are several levels of people out there

1.Dedicated Soloers-- Not going to do a lot of group activity and at cap prefer emphasis on dailies/crafting and rolling alts

2.Casual Groupers-- Those who'll run the daily Hardmode but not really step beyond that

3.Casual Raiders-- Do a raid or two a week (usually one day attempting progression content one day working a step below to improve gear)

4.Progression Raiders-- Trying to knock out the top tier raid then get it down to farm status so they can bring alts in

5.Primary Pvpers-- PVE experience may range from none at all to anywhere among 1-4 but focus/emphasis is on pvp.

Now #'2 1 and 4 are nearly impossible to churn out and give enough content to keep occupied. Progression raiders will spend a 4-6 weeks eating a new raid/operation alive then be nearly done, and solo content is devoured even faster. Those in the #3 grouping are fairly well taken care of with SM/HM EC/TFB, HM/Nightmare EC/KP

Problem is working out those that fall around that #2 category, which I would imagine makes up a pretty sizeable chunk of the player population. For them a new tier setup would be a nice means of progression while the #3 folks would have a nice alternative when the opportunity to raid does not present itself to work on content that is still engaging and challenging.

Edited by paul_preib

It's an interesting idea. It would count as a new flashpoint though, not as a reinterpretation/upgrade of existing ones (which, personally, would interest me more).

Well, they could take elements from my suggestion to "spice up" current flashpoints by adding different objectives and outcomes to the existing scenarios.

For instance...take the Esseles run. It currently has two different distinct flavors (Rep and Imp) and also two different directions on the Imp side depending on whether or not you kill the captain. Let me start here and break down some spots where they could insert secondary goals or even story arcs.

Rep side....

Current (make it to bridge) or bridge destroyed/escape scenario. Either one would be randomly determined when the door is blown open in the cinematic...determined by which elevator you can use. The escape scenario would have you getting to the shuttlebay before the ship is destroyed, saving the ambassador, passengers and crew along the way.

Your goals are to open doors by restoring power, fight off boarders, prevent core meltdowns, etc. Even using automated gun defense system to disable the tractor on the enemy ship so you can escape in a shuttle.

At the shuttle you can choose to escape or try and save the ship by boarding the enemy ship.

Once there you can choose to either disable the tractor (current quest line in place) or try and take the ship by force.

This way you have multiple outcomes and branches, and most flashpoints and heroics could be changed in this way to add variety based on your choices.

Well, they could take elements from my suggestion to "spice up" current flashpoints by adding different objectives and outcomes to the existing scenarios.

For instance...take the Esseles run. It currently has two different distinct flavors (Rep and Imp) and also two different directions on the Imp side depending on whether or not you kill the captain. Let me start here and break down some spots where they could insert secondary goals or even story arcs.

Rep side....

Current (make it to bridge) or bridge destroyed/escape scenario. Either one would be randomly determined when the door is blown open in the cinematic...determined by which elevator you can use. The escape scenario would have you getting to the shuttlebay before the ship is destroyed, saving the ambassador, passengers and crew along the way.

Your goals are to open doors by restoring power, fight off boarders, prevent core meltdowns, etc. Even using automated gun defense system to disable the tractor on the enemy ship so you can escape in a shuttle.

At the shuttle you can choose to escape or try and save the ship by boarding the enemy ship.

Once there you can choose to either disable the tractor (current quest line in place) or try and take the ship by force.

This way you have multiple outcomes and branches, and most flashpoints and heroics could be changed in this way to add variety based on your choices.

The idea of a branching flashpoint is nice in theory, but I think in application people would do each arc one or two times, then a predetermined "fastest" branch/arc would be selected that would become the expected way for everyone to go while the others are woefully underutilized.

Rep side....

I like it. You should check out my take (follow sig) and let me know what u think.

Can't get enough of blowing stuff up personally. OP's concern may stem from the unrealistic expectation of having a decade's worth of content crammed into a game that isn't even a year old.

Beyond that I think there is also the reality that right now running flashpoints can be boiled down to 30ish minute "spacebar/trash-skip/sometimes even boss-skip fests". When someone with 2 hours to kill can run 3 flashpoints with a bit of time leftover for BH dailies content can grow old a lot faster then when it'd take a over an hour per flashpoint to work your way through and polish it off. Also negates the feeling of accomplishment.

I think they may also seem a bit underwhelming given that all existing Hardmodes are tuned to an entire different gearing paradigm. The combination of Black Hole gear, Augmenting Everything, and passive stat boost relics mean two weeks into 50 you can be geared to where hardmodes pose very little challenge (and that's assuming youa ren't grouped with 3 established rakata-campagin geared group-mates). When you can basically muscle your way through content you might have had to finesse before, it takes some peril out of it, and therefore may also make it seem old-hat much faster.