Guard ability + Infernal Council

My 8 man raid was having a little difficulty the other day with HM Infernal Council, we had a Sentinal that was having some problems downing the Marauder assigned to them. A fact that escaped me til now is the Sentinel may have had Guard tossed on them from a tank, as they generally take a bit of damage from any/all boss fights and this helps mitigate it. Would the Guard ability act as a 'heal' for the Guarded target (i.e. Sentinel) and thus give them the debuff inadvertantly?

PS. Note, I also researched the Zen ability 'heal' effect today, which I understand may also have been a problem in that fight.

In that fight the key to it is that no one can help each other in no way at all. So your tanks need to take guard off on whom ever they are guarding.

One thing you can do tho is if one of your members is having an hard time and they have their target close to dead but time is running out then everyone in your ops group is aloud to hit the target once. So you can have everyone hit the target once with their hardest hitting ability to finish him.

My guild had to do this once for one of our new healers, she could get it close to dead but couldn't beat it in time, so we all hit it once and finished it for her.

not only that as the person above me said but also to remember:

The sentinel should not use Zen (the berserk equilavant) because then he will heal others with his DoT's that counts towards helping, I figured that out on the hard way lol.

just a tip :)

Another tip:

Giving a helping hit that is the killing blow for a boss does not count toward helping.

This means you can effectively give more than one helping blow so long as that blow kills the target.

Heals obviously do not work this way. Yet, a big helping heal for someone that doesn't have the survivability for the fight is always good. The two minute timer allows for even a measly ~650 DPS for Marauders, so whether or not a player can survive the two minute fight is the most important thing.

not only that as the person above me said but also to remember:

The sentinel should not use Zen (the berserk equilavant) because then he will heal others with his DoT's that counts towards helping, I figured that out on the hard way lol.

just a tip :)

Also don't forget Bloodthirst(+15% damage for 15 seconds) or the Kolto Shell from a Merc-heal.

have yourself be put into your own "group" in your ops group, so that you're the only member of a possible 4 man party. This allows you to use berserk without giving any of your group members the benefit of heals.

This is the answer for us. We run with 2 Sents at times and end up putting both into their own groups. They can then use Zen all they want and destroy those Maras faster then the rest of the group. :)

Another trick that can be used to help other players is that although you can only use one attack or heal to help you can interupt as much as you like. My guild have used this trick to help new healers through it. Means once you start interupting for them they can drop self heal from their rottation and max their DPS and down it before enrage.