Why The Original Trilogy Wasn't Much Better Than The Prequels

AbelMorvant

So you're raging about a humorous, obviously over-embellished review from Youtube?

If someone doesn't like something, of course they're gonna ***** about it. You just proved this with your post, OP. And for the record, there's a difference between plot holes and adding/removing action to increase tension.

The review is wrong on certain points, but the reviewer is also a psychopath that keeps women locked in his basement, if you believe everything that video portrays.

I think we can all agree that the less George Lucas has to do with a Star Wars franchise, the better it is. (ex: Clone Wars TV show, KOTORs, et al).

I do LOVE the Prequels production design tho. Naboo Fighters are still my all time favs.

George Lucas does have a lot to do with the TV series, he helps craft most of the story and before each is finished he looks it over to see if everything is canon and to his liking.

Original Trilogy has nostalgia, tha'ts about it. Other than that, Lucas continued where he left off in 3-6, but the audience had grown up/changed expectations.

You make it sound like millions of adults wern't in love with the original trilogy. Regardless of similar failings, the original trilogy is beloved and the prequels are widely viewed as trash.

I remember when Star Wars first came out. I saw it 29 times the first week. For that era it was greater than even Avatar was for this modern time. If you are not old enough to have seen the movies when they first came out you will not understand.

Hear hear! You nailed, exactly. I was five in 1977 and went to Star Wars with my uncle, who was awesome. If you didn't live in the mire that was 70's special effects, you can't possibly begin to fathom how enormously EPIC Star Wars was. When the Death Star blew up, the audience cheered. CHEERED! There was hootin and hollerin that I've never witnessed since.

There is no comparison which trilogy had the bigger social and pop culture impact. They're night and day.

I didn't fall asleep during any of the original trilogy; to this day I can sit through Empire even if I've been awake for 3 days straight.

I fell asleep in the theatre the first time I saw TPM. Keep in mind I was in New York, so there were people having lightsaber duels in the aisles and **** all through the movie.

That's pretty much how I judge them.

This is like saying The Old Repbulic (or whatever new game you want) is nowhere near as influential as pong was, and is therefore worse.

the difference is that the game that came out after pong had pong as an inspiration to draw from. and the fact the Lucas had to battle the film industry just to get the OT made is something that made the OT so special. Also, pong didn't change the way video games were played.

try - legend of Zelda or Mario

and this doesn't disprove what I said. because you can't assume that video games adhere to the EXACT same values that movies do. And I acknowledge how great Ocarina of Time was, but I like Skyward Sword ALMOST as much. So yeah, you can value a game because of it's influence. That doesn't mean that I am going to hate on Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, but I am going to play the game that has the most nostalgia to me. and Honestly, I have no problem with the prequels, but I grew up in the 90s and the first movies I remember seeing in theaters were the special edition OT SW movies, and nothing has come close to that since.

Go back and watch the OT... the emotion and the character development is so much more real, so much more potent, and so much more moving than the PT.

Edited by Gantoris_Aym

I agree that one reason that the Prequals get so much hate is because they weren't as "Jaw dropping" as the origionals. To see something like that in the 70's was like "ZOMG!!!". When the Phantom Menace came out movies like Jurassic Park had already come out and it wasn't as amazing as the initial movies.

Bad acting? Now im no movie critic or expert, but i thought the majority of the acting in the films was fine, EXCEPT for Anakin, who is unfortunetly the main character.

Plot holes? Not many.

Don't bring up the Trade Federation situation, the flying text states that the Republic has taxed trade routes. This obviously hurts the TRADE Federation. So they blockade Naboo to make a statement. They become partners with Palpatine, presumably promised great power or unlimited credits or something. Not that hard to figure out, though you do have to think a little.

The only other plothole (or idiocy) i can think of off the top of my head is why did Jango need another bounty hunter to do his work?

The Origionals have plotholes.

Why the hell was Lando wearing Han's clothes at the end of Empire?

Why did it take the gang years to rescue Han even though they knew exactly where he was going (got both from Family Guy :p ).

How come no one thinks of the idea to leave a planet on the opposite side of a blockade? I don't remember seeing THAT many Star Destroyers on Hoth.

Why was the Rebel fleet flying away from the Galaxy at the end of Empire?

Characters? Jar Jar was pretty bad. However, i went to see Star Wars in 3D, he was a pain in the *** some of the time, but honestly i found my self laughing at some of his shinanigans like the tongue in the energy beam. The rest of the Gungans are alright by me.

The Ewoks, honeslty i don't think they're that bad, although i would have preferred Wookies. They're not even THAT cute. Have you seen some of them? Sure they're small and furry but some of they're faces are just...bleh.

I LOVE ALL of the Star Wars movies. Its Star Wars. I wish we could all just get along. Admittedly, Ep 1 is my least favorite but i still love it.

When i went to see Star Wars in 3D on Friday, i was proud to be a Star Wars fan. People were in Jedi robes and yelling "Woot! STAR WARS! May the force be with us!" when those famous words that we all love "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" came onto the screen.

I am going to see every re-release. This is our time to see the movies we (or at least I) love. **** Twilight. **** Harry Potter. **** these Disney movies and chick flicks.

I...I think that covers it.